User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
Been driving myself mental this past hour, bouncing around between inkscape, the online image vectorizer and the SVGOMG tool.

I can't get these logos compressed enough to get under the 15kb limit. After stripping them bare, closest I can get down to is 20-22kb.

If anybody has some hints or tips, it'd be much appreciated.

Bitmaps cannot be just simply re saved as an .svg. They need vector tracing.

I had the same problems with Inkscape. It has to do with the stroke width if the font. GT won't recognize fonts without a stroke outline. Anytime I would simply type the text into Inkscape to create the svg, it would show up fine on the Decal Uploader page, but not in game.

I've been able to find a workaround to this: Type the text into MS Word. Choose your font and formatting, then highlight and copy your text. Then, paste that text directly into inkscape. The text should show up just as you've formatted it in Word.

Then, make sure to use the fill and stroke tool in inkscape, and make sure that both fill and stroke are selected. Here you can also choose the colour of your text.

Finally, go to Edit > Resize Page to Selection to frame the text. Then, select Path > Object to Path. Now you can create your new svg file via Save As.

I know this is a pretty rudimentary explanation, I'm pretty new to all this. Here's a great link that illustrates what I'm talking about: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238029

Hope this helps!

Nothing to do with fill and strokes. Text cannot be saved directly, it has to be converted to paths. So all it needs is Path > Objects to Path.

I've knocked up some graphics for myself in Corel draw and all text and shapes etc have been converted to curves, but when I export as SVG, the uploaded files on granturismo.com appear blank transparent. Any ideas?

Just got a question about uploading.. this morning i uploaded a svg to gt community but is it directly online then or takes it a while? This is the image standing in decal list
it's immediately appears on your decal library. however if u want to appear in the website (searchable) u need to share it from PS4. press triangle and share.

How to draw a detailed figure (like those manga like people upload) and still stays below 15kb??
I'm drawning a goku in Inkscape, and just the head I had to divide into 3 parts, each with 15kb

Ok, so probably I am a n00b...
I have just black and white logo's in BMP.
Converted them with an online coverter, and checked what SVG files it made.
1.0 so should be ok.
But if I upload by computer, I see the pictures as SVG on the GTSport upload page... nothing weird.
But when trying to get them through PS4... nothing.
I can see the uploads, but all decals are empty.
So he does register them, but can't see em.

Any ideas??

How to draw a detailed figure (like those manga like people upload) and still stays below 15kb??
I'm drawning a goku in Inkscape, and just the head I had to divide into 3 parts, each with 15kb

When converted to SVG, the file will shrink a lot in size.
Maybe you should try and convert first, so you can see the file size :)

Hi all, thank you for this thread, it has been valuable to me so far. I've been able to create a few vectors and upload them successfully, so thank you for that!

I have an issue which I haven't found a solution for: I'll create a vector and upload it. It'll look fine on the GT website, but in game it's off-centre and cut off at the side (see screenshot here). Is there any way to fix this in Illustrator? I've tried resizing down in case the game crops it for some reason, and I've also tried placing the artwork over to one side of the artboard in Illustrator, and neither are working.

Hi all, thank you for this thread, it has been valuable to me so far. I've been able to create a few vectors and upload them successfully, so thank you for that!

I have an issue which I haven't found a solution for: I'll create a vector and upload it. It'll look fine on the GT website, but in game it's off-centre and cut off at the side (see screenshot here). Is there any way to fix this in Illustrator? I've tried resizing down in case the game crops it for some reason, and I've also tried placing the artwork over to one side of the artboard in Illustrator, and neither are working.

What you see is the whole artboard, regardless of what objects you have in. So you have to adjust your artboard size to your logo via Object - Artboard - Fit to artboard bounds

Layers, multiple colors, gradients, different objects and groups increase the file size a lot. Apart from that you are just left with reducing points and paths. You usually need a lot less than you think.

What you see is the whole artboard, regardless of what objects you have in. So you have to adjust your artboard size to your logo via Object - Artboard - Fit to artboard bounds

Yep tried that too. As I said, it looks perfectly fine after uploading on the GT Sport website, but in the game they’re off center and cropped heavily.

Yep tried that too. As I said, it looks perfectly fine after uploading on the GT Sport website, but in the game they’re off center and cropped heavily.
GT Sport' SVG translator do many weird things, the major problems, cut objects, displaced, in black or even not shown, seems to be related to the used scale.
Try these settings, they work well for me, although I'm using Inkscape I'm sure you can set them in Illustrator too.

In File>Document Properties>Page:
Set ALL units in pixels (General>Display units and Custome size>Units)
Set custom size to 800x600
Set scale to 1

I had a problem that was driving me crazy too, I made a circle primitive and converted it to path (object to path) and it wasn't appearing in game, after lots of hours 🤬 something clicked in my small brain and added a random node in the circle, then the damn circle was shown in game.
It looks like even you convert the circle to path, the path isn't recognised, you need to add another node in order the path to be recognised.

There are troubles (big ones) with gradients too, although you tell Inkscape the gradient needs to be moved (if moved) together with the object, it doesn't get translated properly in game, so better aply the gradient in the object once you're sure that you won't move it.

Ok I give up!!

I have been trying to add a decal to GTS but it is too big! I have tried splitting it then simplifying it etc. but nothing works.

If I upload the JPEG here could someone convert it an upload it to GTS for me??

I figured out what the problem is; a glitch in Illustrator where SVGs appear in the art board but are actually off-center when saved. It can be fixed by copying the contents into a new document and overwriting the old one using the same file name.

Ok I give up!!

I have been trying to add a decal to GTS but it is too big! I have tried splitting it then simplifying it etc. but nothing works.

It actually might work better if you load the SVG that was too big rather than the JPEG it came from to cut a step from the process.

GT Sport' SVG translator do many weird things, the major problems, cut objects, displaced, in black or even not shown, seems to be related to the used scale.
Try these settings, they work well for me, although I'm using Inkscape I'm sure you can set them in Illustrator too.

In File>Document Properties>Page:
Set ALL units in pixels (General>Display units and Custome size>Units)
Set custom size to 800x600
Set scale to 1

I had a problem that was driving me crazy too, I made a circle primitive and converted it to path (object to path) and it wasn't appearing in game, after lots of hours 🤬 something clicked in my small brain and added a random node in the circle, then the damn circle was shown in game.
It looks like even you convert the circle to path, the path isn't recognised, you need to add another node in order the path to be recognised.

There are troubles (big ones) with gradients too, although you tell Inkscape the gradient needs to be moved (if moved) together with the object, it doesn't get translated properly in game, so better aply the gradient in the object once you're sure that you won't move it.

Thanks! This finally fixed the problem that has plagued me for weeks.

It actually might work better if you load the SVG that was too big rather than the JPEG it came from to cut a step from the process.

I have tried loading an SVG on here before but it says invalid file type (or something like that). Do you mean the code?? If so where do i extract that?? Im using Inkscape btw!

Ok I give up!!

What image is it?

Cool didnt think of that. Thanks for the tip. Will upload when i get home from work!

Sorry, seeing as SVG is largely an internet file format it didn't occur to me that it would be a problem to upload :boggled: I had the same problem with the CHP door badge.

Guys.

Here is my svg of the daily planet logo.

Much appreciated if someone could upload it to GTS for me???

Attachments

• Daily_Planet.zip
    71.8 KB · Views: 18
Guys.

I'm guessing you're okay with it not being in one single decal?

It's across 4 decals, I've shared them here...

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/3518385/gallery/all

DRbsx6VW0AAXxfd.jpg

Last edited:
Guys.

good example of bad auto tracing. Way too many points in it, it could easily fit into one decal with proper optimisation.

Yea when I clicked on it there was like a million nodes! I knew it would cause problems!

you could delete a lot of the nodes and adjust the curves to bring the file size down. What I do is create a copy of all the curves, put them on a layer below and lock it. Then I work in the outline view, delete as many points as possible and adjuste the altered curves to fit the underlying original curves.

Back