User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

• Thread starter daan
  • 1,460 comments
Hello everyone. I decided to make a drawing with a transparent gradient in Inkscape and then optimized it in OMGSVG. It looks good, but when added to the game, the gradient turns into a black fill. What am I doing wrong?
It might be because of a Transform "function" (I'm not a coder I don't know if it's the right word)
I don't know how to fix it directly but I opened it with my vector software and it "rewrote" the code in a way I understand better.
It should work now.

Attachments

• Пилигрим (9).svg
    8.9 KB · Views: 25
Hello everyone. I decided to make a drawing with a transparent gradient in Inkscape and then optimized it in OMGSVG. It looks good, but when added to the game, the gradient turns into a black fill. What am I doing wrong?
When doing a gradient in Inkscape you need to do a "save as" then select the option optimized svg. Gradients will not work in gtsport without this step You can still use SVGOMG after.

I need to do something that Affinity Designer can't do.
So I have to use Inkscape (and some YouTube tutorials) and I'm struggling with it.
I want to get this result
B7A83864-F499-49FD-A0B6-A634E1E986E3.jpeg

I tried using extensions/modify path/perspective and I got this
5D4DE63D-3EC6-4AC2-80B3-76F95C77C1C7.jpeg

Then I tried to use live path effects/enveloppe deformation and it was worse :D

is there a way to do it or do I have to hand trace it?

I need to do something that Affinity Designer can't do.
So I have to use Inkscape (and some YouTube tutorials) and I'm struggling with it.
I want to get this result

Then I tried to use live path effects/enveloppe deformation and it was worse :D

is there a way to do it or do I have to hand trace it?
Try cutting the word in half. Then Individually use the [extensions] [modify path] [envelope] to warp each half.
It is finicky as you need to rotate or flip the lettering to get warping the correct way. Or even reverse the path or flip the result.
Use the undo icon allot until it comes right.
Here is a quick rough go. I don't think I cut it exactly in half as it failed to match back up.
split word.png

Last edited:
Try cutting the word in half. Then Individually use the [extensions] [modify path] [envelope] to warp each half.
It is finicky as you need to rotate or flip the lettering to get warping the correct way. Or even reverse the path or flip the result.
Use the undo icon allot until it comes right.
Here is a quick rough go. I don't think I cut it exactly in half as it failed to match back up.
View attachment 988962
Thank you for your help.
It's so frustrating using Inkscape with a laptop pad when I usually use a pencil with the iPad :banghead:
And my laptop is 10years old. It crashed in the middle of your procedure and that drove me mad.
Anyway I've spent too much time on a simple logo, telling myself I could use a new skill later and I won't.
Finally, I tried one last time the enveloppe extension and by chance noticed I could add a "nod" on the bend path.
Letters were still curved but I correct it manually on the iPad.
I need to know my limits :D

Good day

I was wondering if there are optimal settings to improve the clean edges of shape and stroke in inkscape.

I have created decals that when resizing get very blurry in game while others not as much. It seems to happen to all decals when enlarging but others seem to manage the resize better? Any tips that may help would be appreciated.

Anyone else have an issue using omgsvg? I run my decals through there to get below the horrendously restrictive 15kb. Not all get that small in file size. But the ones that do always look great when I upload them to the gt site. But I go into the game and they are distorted and completly unusable. What am I doing wrong. Or is omgsvg no longer a valid way to shrink svg files?

Im trying to downsize a svg file from 107KB to suitable 15KB. How is the easiest way to do this as ive tried various methods, but the file does not strink enough.

Im trying to downsize a svg file from 107KB to suitable 15KB. How is the easiest way to do this as ive tried various methods, but the file does not strink enough.
I would say that a file of 107kb would have no hope by any conversion method. You would need to load it into inkscape (or similar) and manipulate it for a while to get it to size, and even then it might not be doable depending on the source image. Upload it here and we can have a look at it and let you know.

Guys, I'm needing some guidance on how to split objects. What I am doing is:

• draw a line with the bezier tool
  • select both the line and the object to be split
  • using align to place right in the middle, as is important in my case
  • then, with both select, using Path > Divide

In the end, nothing happens. What am I missing?

Guys, I'm needing some guidance on how to split objects. What I am doing is:

• draw a line with the bezier tool
  • select both the line and the object to be split
  • using align to place right in the middle, as is important in my case
  • then, with both select, using Path > Divide

In the end, nothing happens. What am I missing?
May depend on what the object you want to split is. If it is a single path you could use the line to [path] [cut path] then rejoin the end nodes with a line and refill with color.
Another method - make a rectangle that covers more than half
- make a duplicate and drag that to let them snap side by side , then group the two rectangles
- bring your target object to the top and then do your alignment with the group. then ungroup the rectangles.
- make a copy of target object with [edit] [copy]
- select target object and one rectangle use [path] [intersection]
- use [edit] [paste in place] then repeat above step with the other rectangle.
- recolor the two halves back to original.
Looks like this before splitting. The red being a representation of object to split.
blob.png

May be other ways to do it as well.
Edit: I just had a play. after the alignment in the above steps. Delete one rectangle. Then select target object and push it underneath. Then you could use the [path] [division] to split in half keeping original color.

Last edited:
May depend on what the object you want to split is. If it is a single path you could use the line to [path] [cut path] then rejoin the end nodes with a line and refill with color.
Another method - make a rectangle that covers more than half
- make a duplicate and drag that to let them snap side by side , then group the two rectangles
- bring your target object to the top and then do your alignment with the group. then ungroup the rectangles.
- make a copy of target object with [edit] [copy]
- select target object and one rectangle use [path] [intersection]
- use [edit] [paste in place] then repeat above step with the other rectangle.
- recolor the two halves back to original.
Looks like this before splitting. The red being a representation of object to split.
View attachment 997690
May be other ways to do it as well.
Edit: I just had a play. after the alignment in the above steps. Delete one rectangle. Then select target object and push it underneath. Then you could use the [path] [division] to split in half keeping original color.

Got it! Thanks for your time!

Maybe I'm being too ambitious here but struggling to get either of these to work,
Can someone help please

Attachments

• Aldershot1.svg
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Aldershot2.svg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22
Maybe I'm being too ambitious here but struggling to get either of these to work,
Can someone help please
This font (Lino Letter Black) is a nod nightmare.
I can't do better than 3 separate decals (use duplicate/replace) without spending a lot of time

Attachments

• aldershot.svg
    8.2 KB · Views: 20
  • aldershot2.svg
    12.5 KB · Views: 16
  • aldershot3.svg
    11.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi all, If you're getting an ""SVG file version is not compatible." when uploading but it is an SVG which has been process through https://xerocho.github.io/svgomg/,

is it an issue with the server or something else?
Xerocho should be good. Did you try the save as "optimized svg" in Inkscape before SVGOMG. If you upload the file pre SVGOMG I can have a look at it.
If you are using other programs they may be introducing svg 1.2 syntax. GTSPORT requires svg1.1 or below.

QUESTION - when the decal is uploaded where does it go that i can use it on my car, I see it in the app listed under the decal uploader tab but it's not in my library that i can find

QUESTION - when the decal is uploaded where does it go that i can use it on my car, I see it in the app listed under the decal uploader tab but it's not in my library that i can find
If you got the green box with a tick and success in the decal uploader. It will then appear on your ps4 in game. It will be under "user decals" in the decal section of your library. On the GTSPORT website it will only show in your gallery once you have shared it from within the game.

If you got the green box with a tick and success in the decal uploader. It will then appear on your ps4 in game. It will be under "user decals" in the decal section of your library. On the GTSPORT website it will only show in your gallery once you have shared it from within the game.
I must have done something wrong, I uploaded a decal but when I saw the decal box in the user decals area the box was blank, I could select it and use it but it never shows on the car no matter what color I choose, no matter if I enlarge it either.
Any clues to what I did in error?

Last edited:
I must have done something wrong, I uploaded a decal but when I saw the decal box in the user decals area the box was blank, I could select it and use it but it never shows on the car no matter what color I choose, no matter if I enlarge it either.
Any clues to what I did in error?
You can upload the svg here, so we can find what is wrong with it. Some online converters just embed the picture inside the file rather than convert to a proper svg that the game can use. GTSPORT is rather fussy with how the files are created. We really need to see the svg file to find out why.

GTS is the most user unfriendly, clunky, piece of software I have seen since the early 2000's.

I have saved the attached file in every svg file type available in inkscape. It shows up blank in-game, on the decal uploader web page, and in svgomg. What's the deal? I seem to remember having this same issue when the game first launched, but I have no idea what I did differently to get the first 50 or so decals uploaded and working in game. I thought I simply saved them as "optimized svg" files in inkscape, but I'm getting the same blank results now when I do that.

Attachments

• bucee.svg
    17.3 KB · Views: 18
It's coming up blank because the page area is blank. Your SVG needs to be inside the square area.

upload_2021-5-16_8-27-8.png

Highlight your image, go to Edit > Resize page to selection.

You can upload the svg here, so we can find what is wrong with it. Some online converters just embed the picture inside the file rather than convert to a proper svg that the game can use. GTSPORT is rather fussy with how the files are created. We really need to see the svg file to find out why.
Ok here is original jpg thank you for your help
SCREW.jpg

I have converted the screw jpg into a svg for you. I would still need to see your svg file to be able to determine why it was blank in GTSPORT.
thank you, will get original SVG file later today, (it is on laptop at work)

Latest Posts

Back