Using the Handbrake

• Thread starter Bc4
  • 208 comments
TwistyDrift
I would think EVERYBODY uses manual. It's the first rule always use Manual or it will change gear while drifting which is not what you want.

You'd be surprised, I've seen people online using auto. If you have excellent throttle control and know your car very well, you could pull it off!

You'd be surprised, I've seen people online using auto. If you have excellent throttle control and know your car very well, you could pull it off!

Yeah, but it would have some serious disadvantages compared to manual.

Bluntified
Haven't you ever seen my 1 speed transmission for drifting? I never completed it but it was amazing haha. You could drift Grand Valley Speedway the whole track in 1st gear.

With that said this...
Gonales

But yeah 100% agree

I don't doubt it for a second, I'm just mentioning there *are* some that use auto and it works for them. To say that *everybody* (like TwistyDrift said) uses it, is a bit of an overstatement.

I only use manual and have always been, I'm with you on the advantages compared to auto.

I have used AT and MT and I must say that I find MT harder to use for obvious reasons, BUT it makes controlling the drift infinitely less difficult. I switched to MT for fun racing and cruising, I still race better with AT.

On a different topic: Thanks a BUNCH to miko1337 for troubleshooting my flawed techniques last night. In his words I "can slide now". He also fine-tuned my Silvia for me and it just slips around like a skater around pylons.

I have used AT and MT and I must say that I find MT harder to use for obvious reasons, BUT it makes controlling the drift infinitely less difficult. I switched to MT for fun racing and cruising, I still race better with AT.

On a different topic: Thanks a BUNCH to miko1337 for troubleshooting my flawed techniques last night. In his words I "can slide now". He also fine-tuned my Silvia for me and it just slips around like a skater around pylons.

When I first decided to learn to drift (back in GT4 I had to learn to use a manual. It was difficult but it pays off

I truly feel Auto is like an anti-drift it always selects too low a gear as it realises that the revs are high & the speed doesnt match the gear/revs. i.e Driving you may go through a turn at say 60mph in 3rd gear but drifting the same turn you would have to go slower but you want the rear wheels to go quicker so they spin now when u enter slower Auto would drop to 2nd & you wouldnt have the revs available to get the rear out or you get the rear out then run out of revs & Auto leaves you hitting the limiter & eventually losing wheelspin then you regain grip & Auto shifts up. Manual is easier & the slides are smoother. Also theres a difference in the power delivery to the wheel's between using clutch or not.

I truly feel Auto is like an anti-drift it always selects too low a gear as it realises that the revs are high & the speed doesnt match the gear/revs. i.e Driving you may go through a turn at say 60mph in 3rd gear but drifting the same turn you would have to go slower but you want the rear wheels to go quicker so they spin now when u enter slower Auto would drop to 2nd & you wouldnt have the revs available to get the rear out or you get the rear out then run out of revs & Auto leaves you hitting the limiter & eventually losing wheelspin then you regain grip & Auto shifts up. Manual is easier & the slides are smoother. Also theres a difference in the power delivery to the wheel's between using clutch or not.

Not if you tune your transmission :) and Manual is still the best.

Bc4
Well ive been drifting for a while now and noticed that I never use the e-brake

Is it necessary if I want to get better at drifting or is it just personal preference?

Do any of you drift without using the handbrake??

Well it might just be me, but I find that using the handbrake helps me a lot with drifting. Normally I'm like you and don't use it much, but it really helps with reverse entry drifts. And if you mess up, say, you started drifting a little bit early and you will crash into the inner wall if you don't do anything, I find that the handbrake is capable of "saving" some drifts if you make a mistake. Saving drifts with the handbrake is a skill that needs to be developed though.

Automatic transmissions won't change gear until the torque load on your drivetrain drops. In other words if im drifting a corner in 3rd gear and I am flooring it the gear wont change until I reach the top speed for that gear. Which means that If my torque band is low I wont be able to use all the torque because the car wont change gear til I'm at top speed for that gear.

Well it might just be me, but I find that using the handbrake helps me a lot with drifting. Normally I'm like you and don't use it much, but it really helps with reverse entry drifts. And if you mess up, say, you started drifting a little bit early and you will crash into the inner wall if you don't do anything, I find that the handbrake is capable of "saving" some drifts if you make a mistake. Saving drifts with the handbrake is a skill that needs to be developed though.

While it can be useful, it really sucks for the guy behind you if you use it (in tandem). There's no lights or anything signalling an ebrake press for the other guy. Solo runs doing tricks etc., it can be pretty useful though.

I guess it's really about what type of application the driver's use of ebrake is, could it be tandem or solo.

I honestly don't use that many fingers on the controls. I rarely nudge either brake but I use the e-brake more than the other one...

That reminds me that I have to reassign my controller so my wipers don't accidentally get turned on and I don't honk the horn all the time, lol

EDIT: still haven't reassigned my buttons, drove a 3-lap race yesterday with my wipers on, honking like crazy... lol

Last edited:
Drifting with or without is just you're own preference. I drive an FD3s (RX7 Type A) My brake setup is 5(f) 7(r) with or without ABS on its still possible to brake drift. Ebrake drift is just kind of dull.. My opinion. When I started my older sister disabled the ebrake button (X) when I started. But take the ABS off and its a lot easier just avoid locking up your tires.

I love the ebrake for style drifting, and when chasing in a tandem. For following I try and make it easy as possible for the follow car usually. Drifting slow, getting angle, rarely use E-brake, rarely use normal brakes.

Miharuhi
Drifting with or without is just you're own preference. I drive an FD3s (RX7 Type A) My brake setup is 5(f) 7(r) with or without ABS on its still possible to brake drift. Ebrake drift is just kind of dull.. My opinion. When I started my older sister disabled the ebrake button (X) when I started. But take the ABS off and its a lot easier just avoid locking up your tires.

Try the right joy stick down. You can go as far as to ride it and still accelerate. It makes the e-brake just like a real one

I tried it and can say that it is helpful if i'm having trouble getting the car sideways on certain corners but sometimes I over use it and lose control so i'll have to keep practicing.

Bc4
I tried it and can say that it is helpful if i'm having trouble getting the car sideways on certain corners but sometimes I over use it and lose control so i'll have to keep practicing.

Same here. But there are many advantages in tandeming that the e-brake offers. I am using it more and more now that I have made it next to my shifter as you can see here...
2013-02-20112539_zpsefc1c6f1.jpg

2013-02-20112651_zps814f9956.jpg

So it being within reach is great.

Same here. But there are many advantages in tandeming that the e-brake offers. I am using it more and more now that I have made it next to my shifter as you can see here...

So it being within reach is great.

i like my handbrake between steering wheel and shifter :P... Im accustom to the S15 handbrake.

Drift_Monkey
i like my handbrake between steering wheel and shifter :P... Im accustom to the S15 handbrake.

I had it like that but it just didn't feel good. I will eventually make a mount to make it pull up instead of like that but when you have one of these chairs
2012-12-10185835_zps1346509e.jpg

You don't want to ruin the comfort hahaha

I had it like that but it just didn't feel good. I will eventually make a mount to make it pull up instead of like that but when you have one of these chairs
2012-12-10185835_zps1346509e.jpg

You don't want to ruin the comfort hahaha

Now i understand why you ass does not hurt..... i sit in a car seat for couple of hours and my ass hurts.... I cant wait till i get my Racing seat mounted.

TheKitten
Now i understand why you ass does not hurt..... i sit in a car seat for couple of hours and my ass hurts.... I cant wait till i get my Racing seat mounted.

Hahahahahahahahahaha three words. Art Van leather.

I usually lean back and drift. Check out my video by the way if you haven't seen it. You can actually see me drifting on the wheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMRXuqFZJe0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I also started using my e-brake more. And if you see in the video how when i come too close the e-brake helps keep you in a certain line. Also when you transition too fast if you use it right it will help you get through the transitions fast and smoothly (not all though)

Try the right joy stick down. You can go as far as to ride it and still accelerate. It makes the e-brake just like a real one

I shift with the right stick. I don't need an ebrake though my car slides out when its suppose to so no complaints here. Thanks though thats actually a really good idea.

Miharuhi
I shift with the right stick. I don't need an ebrake though my car slides out when its suppose to so no complaints here. Thanks though thats actually a really good idea.

Talking for a wheel mainly hahah this is mine

Miharuhi
Lol That looks complicated. But if it works go for it.

Just a vertical e-brake next to the shifter. And the rubber band pulls the right joystick back. Really easy actually. I guess it looks more complicated than it is.

That isn't the most resent pictures of the setup. I have moved the e-brake closer to the shifter. And i have moved a few others things around too.

Just a vertical e-brake next to the shifter. And the rubber band pulls the right joystick back. Really easy actually. I guess it looks more complicated than it is.

That isn't the most resent pictures of the setup. I have moved the e-brake closer to the shifter. And i have moved a few others things around too.

Yeah but you're using both the wheel and Dual Shock 3 to drive? is that possible? I do like that wheel because it has a clutch. Mine is missing the gear box and clutch. It gets boring only having the slapstick motion. Sadly no ebrake either but I can't drift anyway with the wheel at all.

Miharuhi
Yeah but you're using both the wheel and Dual Shock 3 to drive? is that possible? I do like that wheel because it has a clutch. Mine is missing the gear box and clutch. It gets boring only having the slapstick motion. Sadly no ebrake either but I can't drift anyway with the wheel at all.

No hahaha. I have the controller set to port one and wheel to port two. The only thing my controller does is the e-brake.

And yeah I used to have a DFGT. It got to the point of extreme boredom so i couldn't wait to have the G27. Truly has made the game brand new again.

And stay with it and keep practicing you will get the hang of it.

Gosh no, why would I insult you?

It was kind of a dig at the random online kids that start driftrooms but can't drift either, just like me...

You know, the 10 to 16 year olds without skills. So you go into one of their rooms and expect people drifting, but instead it's just a bunch of kids doing donuts and burnouts and when you try to link a lap, they ram you, etc.

oi not all of us under 16's have no skills

Back