Using the Handbrake

• Thread starter Bc4
  • 208 comments
Just a vertical e-brake next to the shifter. And the rubber band pulls the right joystick back. Really easy actually. I guess it looks more complicated than it is.
2013-02-20112539_zpsefc1c6f1.jpg

That isn't the most resent pictures of the setup. I have moved the e-brake closer to the shifter. And i have moved a few others things around too.

Wow that's a good idea. To bad I sold my Joystick few weeks ago. Do you have any ideas making something like that??? I can go to school and make stuff out of wood.

TwistyDrift
Wow that's a good idea. To bad I sold my Joystick few weeks ago. Do you have any ideas making something like that??? I can go to school and make stuff out of wood.

Thanks.

Hummmm maybe you can show me what your setup is so i can get a better idea what will work better and how to do it.

You can find those joysticks really cheap at a thrift store sometimes.

I have a idea for a pull up e-brake that you might like but I will have to post it later.

Junipers
Not needed unless you are in the habit of slamming your vehicle

Well it does come in handy when you are in a close tandem. When you are following your tend to use it to do minor adjustments in line and angle and speed.

If you have powerful car you dont need it

You dont need a powerful car either. Having an E-brake just adds an extra element to your gameplay I for 1 could'nt go more than 1 lap of any track without abusing my E-brake. See my GTp album for 2 diy E-brake setups also my reverse mount T500rs style pedal box, Quick kick clutch, Sequential shifter & more. All easy to do & none cost more than £5.
Also see my vid of me drifting on my setup on my Youtube channel (link in my sig.).

Last edited:
I rarely use my E brake on my wheel, I only really use it if I'm going to come up short on a corner then I'll use it to get that bit extra distance to clear the corner. When I used the ds3 for drifting I used the E brake a lot.

Hey guys, my first post on GTP. I use the ebrake whenever needed, mostly corrections for drifting. Here's my setup, let me know what you guys think.
imagemmna.jpg

Skorpionseven
Hey guys, my first post on GTP. I use the ebrake whenever needed, mostly corrections for drifting. Here's my setup, let me know what you guys think.

Wow. Very nice.

I am planning on building a new rig soon. Do you have the plans you might had drawn up to make that?

I use ABS +1 so the wheels never lock up and lose grip for more control over the drift. If I need to completly lose traction and slide like a hot knife through butter, to keep the car at angle for long periods (like when entering into the first corner of Tuskuba), I'll rip up the handbrake, and keep it that way untill I can enter the corner with power-over. Sure, you wouldn't do this in real life, but in GT5 it works a charm and can be used to your advantage.

Comparing GT5 to reality and acting as a purist by only doing things that you could achieve in reality without ever taking advantage of the flaws of GT5s physics engine is just stupid, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I use ABS +1 so the wheels never lock up and lose grip for more control over the drift. If I need to completly lose traction and slide like a hot knife through butter, to keep the car at angle for long periods (like when entering into the first corner of Tuskuba), I'll rip up the handbrake, and keep it that way untill I can enter the corner with power-over. Sure, you wouldn't do this in real life, but in GT5 it works a charm and can be used to your advantage.

Comparing GT5 to reality and acting as a purist by only doing things that you could achieve in reality without ever taking advantage of the flaws of GT5s physics engine is just stupid, in my opinion.

You actually have more control of the car with abs off. You can make the car slide straight with foot and hand brake locked instead of at an arc with just the ebrake.

Suzuki
You actually have more control of the car with abs off. You can make the car slide straight with foot and hand brake locked instead of at an arc with just the ebrake.

Yep. The ABS physics are complete garbage on this game. The hidden stability factors with it just on 1 is too much. You feel more of the car, you can also control it better (with practice of course).

I use it since it makes my car easier to start the drift. I don't care what people say about using the E-Brake for drifting, it's just my style.

Matrihx
I use it since it makes my car easier to start the drift. I don't care what people say about using the E-Brake for drifting, it's just my style.

Nothing wrong with it either way. Your style is your style.

I use no ABS 10-0 brake bias.
I use the e-brake in stalls and sometimes in a tandems.

Nothing wrong with it either way. Your style is your style.

I use no ABS 10-0 brake bias.
I use the e-brake in stalls and sometimes in a tandems.

When you say 10-0 brake bias, do you mean 10 rear, 0 front? The other way around (front/rear) sounds a bit strange.

Oh, and to contribute to this thread, I do use the handbrake, but I'm still garbage.

When you say 10-0 brake bias, do you mean 10 rear, 0 front? The other way around (front/rear) sounds a bit strange.

Oh, and to contribute to this thread, I do use the handbrake, but I'm still garbage.

Well your Dan so it explains.

I need to make myself a ebrake, Its impossible to use the stupid buttons on the wheel for a ebrake.

CallmeDan

I meant 10 in the front and 0 in the rear.

Works well when you got a e-brake
2013-05-12231859_zps1a6074e6.jpg

I can control the front brakes and rear brakes separately

I drive all the way up to the corner and brake hard while simultaneously using the handbrake, then i let go of the brakes, then handbrake.

But hey, im rubbish on ds3 so what do i know !

I use brake balance at 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 (depending on cars weight), 0 ABS, & have a lever to DS3 E-brake I use a lot, I also use clutch. I just wish GT5 would let us flat-shift.
See my albums for pics of my E-brake & other mods, also my Youtube channel for a vid of me using it. p.s. I've got rid of the horrid squeak now that you will hear in the vid.

Last edited:
I use brake balance at 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 (depending on cars weight), 0 ABS, & have a lever to DS3 E-brake I use a lot, I also use clutch. I just wish GT5 would let us flat-shift.
See my albums for pics of my E-brake & other mods, also my Youtube channel for a vid of me using it. p.s. I've got rid of the horrid squeak now that you will hear in the vid.

I find it odd that you use such a low braking bias. I use the factory 5-5 although I know real brake bias numbers are more like 5-2 because the back end does want to come around under heavy braking but I have adapted to it with no problems. I have thought about changing it but I thought if it works great, why change it at all? So it has stayed around.

Back