• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
England
Europe
GTP_Slim
PzR Slim
VRally is back!
vrally4.png

It’s one of the most iconic of rally franchises, and today it has been announced that the awesome V-Rally will be hitting Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC. Will you be ready for the power of V-Rally 4?

Bigben Interactive and Kylotonn Racing Games have today announced that they are joining forces to see the return of V-Rally to our lives Developed by Kylotonn – a French studio specializing in racing simulations – V-Rally 4 promises to let players experience the extreme sensations of the most insane races.

After first releasing back in 1997 on PlayStation 1, and then seeing V-Rally 3 have great success on PS2, it’s been 15 years since we last saw V-Rally arrive – that was way back in 2003 – but now the epic title is making a comeback with more than 50 models of emblematic rallying and extreme motorsports vehicles. Those seeking nostalgic can collect, upgrade, customize, and master their very favourite cars, three of which can be seen in the teaser trailer below – a Porsche 911 Safari, a Ford Mustang and a Ford Fiesta RS RX.

V-Rally 4 will aim to remain faithful to the identity of the franchise, which earned the support of millions of fans, as it strikes a perfect balance between sensation, presentation, and simulation, while offering the best graphics and gameplay the latest technology can support.

“It’s a real privilege for me to once again work on the V-Rally series,” said Alain Jarniou, Game Director at Kylotonn. “It’s an extraordinary title that I have a very special connection to. I had a chance to join the team that created V-Rally to develop V-Rally 3 on the PlayStation 2 as a programmer. I’m very proud to be working on the franchise again 15 years later.”

V-Rally 4 features include:

• Rally: From Africa to Sequoia Park and Japan, travel the world along difficult tracks and in extreme conditions, such as snow, ice, and mud.
  • Extreme-Khana: You’ll have to be a master of precision and drifting on these tracks full of pitfalls.
  • V-Rally Cross: Leave your opponents in the dust on these dirt and asphalt tracks and take on 7 expert adversaries.
  • Buggy: Hop into your all-terrain vehicle to win the race on these particularly rugged tracks. Not for the faint of heart!
  • Hillclimb: Race to the top behind the wheel of powerful cars.
Expect to see V-Rally 4 come complete with full online and career modes when it releases on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC in September 2018.

Check out the teaser below and don’t forget to leave us your thoughts in the comments.

V-Rally is back!

http://www.thexboxhub.com/v-rally-4-announced-xbox-one-ps4-nintendo-switch-pc/

Last edited:
Like Milestone, I am not sold on Kylotonn as a developer like I am on others. Therefore, I wait for gameplay, and even then, I'll probably have to play the game to see if it is actually any good, or anything more then 'average'

..it's not that a V-Rally return doesn't excite me (I still consider the intro video for the second game to be tied with GTR2 and Colin McRae Rally 2 for Best Intro Video For A Racing Game That Isn't A Gran Turismo).

..it's just that the names involved don't instill too much confidence.

Also if they really want to "remain faithful to the identity of the franchise", ditch everything that isn't rally and give us a GT6-can-only-dream track editor. Many, many hours were spent building ski jumps on VR2. I regret nothing.

..it's not that a V-Rally return doesn't excite me (I still consider the intro video for the second game to be tied with GTR2 and Colin McRae Rally 2 for Best Intro Video For A Racing Game That Isn't A Gran Turismo).

..it's just that the names involved don't instill too much confidence.

Also if they really want to "remain faithful to the identity of the franchise", ditch everything that isn't rally and give us a GT6-can-only-dream track editor. Many, many hours were spent building ski jumps on VR2. I regret nothing.

Bolded is exactly my opinion, but at this point, with how decimated the arcade racing landscape is, and with how few studios are left, I guess beggars can't be choosers, but still, it is going to take a lot for my opinion to change on this game, or anything Milestone makes, considering who is behind it.

..yes, but it's also the very same Kylotonn that made FlatOut 4, which.. let's just say people are divided on whether that's as good as 2/Ultimate Carnage or as bad as.. no, actually, nothing is as bad as FlatOut 3. You get the point.

I guess I just remain unconvinced and shall remain so until it's at least 50% off - I'm not in a financial way to be handing out anywhere near full price for a "maybe you'll like it", I don't have the privilege of preview copies and releasing free trial demos to the public don't make the company enough money. Unless you're EA and tie said free demos to EA Access. So that they're not really free. Yeah.

Also something I just noticed:
"it strikes a perfect balance between sensation, presentation, and simulation"
Yes, yes, it's still early days, it can mean anything et cetera, but I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it might. Because that *would* be a sin against "the identity of the franchise".

..yes, but it's also the very same Kylotonn that made FlatOut 4, which.. let's just say people are divided on whether that's as good as 2/Ultimate Carnage or as bad as.. no, actually, nothing is as bad as FlatOut 3. You get the point.

I guess I just remain unconvinced and shall remain so until it's at least 50% off - I'm not in a financial way to be handing out anywhere near full price for a "maybe you'll like it", I don't have the privilege of preview copies and releasing free trial demos to the public don't make the company enough money. Unless you're EA and tie said free demos to EA Access. So that they're not really free. Yeah.

Also something I just noticed:

Yes, yes, it's still early days, it can mean anything et cetera, but I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it might. Because that *would* be a sin against "the identity of the franchise".
Yeah, I don't expect this to be simulation at all even with that comment. Hopefully a buzzword. :lol:

I wouldn't even say WRC 7 was totally sim either.

Kylotonn made huge leaps and bounds with WRC 7. For that reason alone I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Add in the utterly excellent TT Isle of Man and I have to agree, I was only wondering yesterday what it would be like if they did a standalone rally title, guess that will be answered soon.

I for one will be getting this day 1.

Why would Kylotonn release two rally games in the span of two/three months? It would be suicide to release WRC 8 in July and V-Rally 4 in September.

Unless the rumors that Kylotonn lost the WRC license are true...

Why would Kylotonn release two rally games in the span of two/three months? It would be suicide to release WRC 8 in July and V-Rally 4 in September.

Could be true, but I'd buy both.......................

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this, but it releases around the same time as Forza Horizon 4 then I will wait for a discount instead.

I wouldn't even say WRC 7 was totally sim either.
It's not, but its arguably better than Dirt 4.

What I hope carries over from WRC7 to VR4 is the stage design, as the epic stages are excellent and they are properly narrow at times as well.

Wish list time would be for that TT licence have a nice clause in it that allows it to be used in other titles, the full 37.7 mile TT circuit in a rally title would make me stupidly happy.

I have to say that I actually have no real concerns about the developer, given that they have over the last (roughly) six months) brought us this.....

...and this....

...both of which look good, sound goo and play great.

It's not, but its arguably better than Dirt 4.

What I hope carries over from WRC7 to VR4 is the stage design, as the epic stages are excellent and they are properly narrow at times as well.

Wish list time would be for that TT licence have a nice clause in it that allows it to be used in other titles, the full 37.7 mile TT circuit in a rally title would make me stupidly happy.
Now you've got me thinking of taking on El Chocolate in a Group B rally car.

Developed by Kylotonn? Oh come on, they suck at Rally games. Look at WRC7! Total failure. People buy WRC7 (like me) is because the hype of esport. And I am sorry for that. I sold the game. Milestone is good, but Kylotonn!? :crazy:

Add in the utterly excellent TT Isle of Man and I have to agree, I was only wondering yesterday what it would be like if they did a standalone rally title, guess that will be answered soon.

I for one will be getting this day 1.

Both wrc7 and ttiom have been really good fun. Another rally title? Interesting that they got the vrally rights, a 15 year old name.

I actually haven't looked at WRC 7 beyond hearing some good enthusiasm for it. I still have a smidge of 5 and most of 6 to play mind - and from what I've played of 6 there are some tight and scary, visceral tracks on there too. So thanks @Scaff for posting that vid of WRC 7 - I'll be getting that when I can too.

Concerning V-Rally, I know I'm hoping for a lot but in the trailer when the car slowed down and the camera panned around it, I had an irrational, massive hope that a proper photo mode would be included. If only that level of photo mode options were to be available, I'd be very, very, very, very happy indeed.

That wouldn't be a bad thing if whatever deals are signed next are non-exclusive. 2017-Spec WRC cars in the next Dirt game would be good for everybody.

Not to mention Forza Horizon 4, GT Sport DLC, Gravel DLC...

Developed by Kylotonn? Oh come on, they suck at Rally games. Look at WRC7! Total failure. People buy WRC7 (like me) is because the hype of esport. And I am sorry for that. I sold the game. Milestone is good, but Kylotonn!? :crazy:

Well total failure is purely opinion as there are many many people who would disagree with that.

If we’re getting this instead of another WRC game then that’s fine as long as it has plenty of rally content.

V-Rally 4 player split screen was brilliant. I hope they do the name and memories justice. The music was good too from what i remember, nice and chilled.

Maybe Milestone have picked it back up? or even Codemasters. Is there any way to find out?

Just watching the trailer and I thought I wasn’t getting much games this year as I have a fair few to get through, but hang on a minute lol should I be intrigued I like what I am seeing so far?

The music was good too from what i remember, nice and chilled.
You must have only played V Rally 1 which did indeed have some really chill music, as 2's OST is anything but chilled:

I honestly didn't expect this series to return, though if it ends up anything like V Rally 2 it'll be a purchase from me. Who even owns the rights to the IP anyway, Kylotonn or someone else?

Back