V-Rally 4 (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One) - Release date September 2018

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 492 comments
Whilst Milestone remained a fairly small studio up until WRC 4 I thought they at least tried to improve the vehicle modelling along with physics (WRC 3 was great, so was 4.)

Here are some pics I took back then from 2, 3 and 4. Improvements I agree were more noticeable in lighting and particle physics but modelling was definitely improved.

3 and 4 were definite improvements over 1 and 2. They just didn't quite reach the level of polish I expected from an official WRC game. I am from the time Evolution Studios used to handle that function. Those games were amazing.

The modelling depends. Some cars are ok and others are just wrong, the proportions on the Fiesta WRC (the one you show) were wrong, from the first game it showed up on to the very last one. The most egregious modelling error for that car was the wing, whose tips didn't even touch the car. It was like it was suspended in mid-air. Despite that obvious flaw (much more so than other parts of the car), they never fixed it.

While Codies would give a WRC title the right polish, I don't rate the physics, FFB and overall handing as anything like as good as SLRE or PC2's.

I find the cars in SLRE to be sluggish and unresponsive. PCARS 2, I like on a similar level to Codemasters' physics, but could SMS make a game in time for a release this year, on October/November at the latest? Genuine question: how many people do they have right now, to see if they could form a team for a World Rally game?

There's a video from Daniel Elena (Loeb's co-driver) during service on Rally Mexico, this year. At around 3:10 he mentions, in French, he's going to take pictures for the WRC game. So, I guess new game is in development?

About Kylotton and their work on V-Rally, I also heard that part of the deal with having the WRC license, is that you cannot develop any other rally title. If this is true, then it's definite that they don't have the license anymore. I hope they still get a good car selection for V-Rally 4.

Kylotonn lost WRC license? Good news. 👍
Given that they ended up making one of the best rally titles in years, let alone best WRC licenced title in a very long time I disagree.

Under them WRC5 sucked (but was made in around 8 months), WRC6 improved a lot but was still rough around the edges. WRC7 however looked good, sounded good, played well and had excellent stage design.

I find the cars in SLRE to be sluggish and unresponsive.
I don't have that issue with my set-up, at launch it had a nasty lag issue with some wheels and controllers, but my T300 combo works very well.

SLRE's biggest issue is its lack of polish and appalling sound.

PCARS 2, I like on a similar level to Codemasters' physics, but could SMS make a game in time for a release this year, on October/November at the latest? Genuine question: how many people do they have right now, to see if they could form a team for a World Rally game?
I find (and its easy enough to evidence) PC2's physics a long way ahead of Codemasters, if anything Codies went backwards between Rally and 4!

In general its likely that regardless of who the new studio is, that the first release they put out will be more than a bit rough around the edges. It happens every time a licence like this moves studio, the dev time simply isn't available almost regardless of studio size.

There's a video from Daniel Elena (Loeb's co-driver) during service on Rally Mexico, this year. At around 3:10 he mentions, in French, he's going to take pictures for the WRC game. So, I guess new game is in development?

Probably Codemaster has obtained the license. With all those WRC projects Evolution Studios has done and the severall excellent CMR Rally titles this could be the perfect oppertunity for them.

Nice to see the name V-Rally returning. Hope it delivers 👍

I don't have that issue with my set-up, at launch it had a nasty lag issue with some wheels and controllers, but my T300 combo works very well.

I use a Xbox One controller and I find the default settings don't work for me. The car either steers to little or too much. Unfortunately, I'm not that good with setups :(

I find (and its easy enough to evidence) PC2's physics a long way ahead of Codemasters, if anything Codies went backwards between Rally and 4!

When I mean Codemasters physics, I do mean DiRT Rally. I'm not enjoying DiRT 4 too much.

In general its likely that regardless of who the new studio is, that the first release they put out will be more than a bit rough around the edges. It happens every time a licence like this moves studio, the dev time simply isn't available almost regardless of studio size.

Considering the release window of WRC games, the dev time is limited for anyone who took the license, certainly. But, at least, if it's an experienced studio, the chances of a complete bomb of a product are definitely reduced.

Let's hope Kylotton puts all its WRC experience into V-Rally 4 to deliver a seriously nice simcade experience. I quite enjoy WRC 7's physics.
Still, Kylotton is really pushing it with their release rhythm. Do they have that many separate teams or something in their coffee?

Probably Codemaster has obtained the license. With all those WRC projects Evolution Studios has done and the severall excellent CMR Rally titles this could be the perfect oppertunity for them.

Nice to see the name V-Rally returning. Hope it delivers 👍

I really want to see Codies have a crack at the WRC game. Maybe that's what all the silence is hiding... who knows.

Fingers crossed for V-Rally 4, it's a potential childhood legend reborn.

Given that they ended up making one of the best rally titles in years, let alone best WRC licenced title in a very long time I disagree.

Under them WRC5 sucked (but was made in around 8 months), WRC6 improved a lot but was still rough around the edges. WRC7 however looked good, sounded good, played well and had excellent stage design.

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and suggest losing the licence to the WRC is a good thing, but based on what the statement highlighted in bold. The main issue with holding the WRC licence is that developers are given very restricted guidelines on content that can be included, and that is very off putting to anyone who is not a hardcore WRC fan. However, seeing as many people are saying WRC 7 is actually a decent game now (I haven't played it myself), surely that is a good thing is Kylotonn wish to explore other fields of off-road racing and increase the game's appeal?

Okay, so the catch is that we will lose the official WRC cars and some environments, but off-road racing is so much bigger than that I don't think that actually matters. We already have 50 cars confirmed which is a very respectable figure for a rally game at launch.

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and suggest losing the licence to the WRC is a good thing, but based on what the statement highlighted in bold. The main issue with holding the WRC licence is that developers are given very restricted guidelines on content that can be included, and that is very off putting to anyone who is not a hardcore WRC fan. However, seeing as many people are saying WRC 7 is actually a decent game now (I haven't played it myself), surely that is a good thing is Kylotonn wish to explore other fields of off-road racing and increase the game's appeal?

Okay, so the catch is that we will lose the official WRC cars and some environments, but off-road racing is so much bigger than that I don't think that actually matters. We already have 50 cars confirmed which is a very respectable figure for a rally game at launch.
Personally I agree that it could be a good thing.

When Milestone lost the licence it allowed them to make SLRE, which was a good thing in my books.

With so many offroad/rally games releasing this year where is the market for them? Dirt 4 is barely alive and Gravel only made it to 42nd on the UK chart when it was essentially the only new release that week.

It's a shame as I remember loving the V Rally games 10-15 years ago, but it's likely going up against Forza Horizon 4 and that's a death sentence frankly.

Personally I agree that it could be a good thing.

When Milestone lost the licence it allowed them to make SLRE, which was a good thing in my books.

If it wasn't for titles like SLRE and Gravel, I wouldn't have touched anything by Milestone.

It's a shame as I remember loving the V Rally games 10-15 years ago, but it's likely going up against Forza Horizon 4 and that's a death sentence frankly.

V-Rally 4 needs to launch a week or two before Forza Horizon 4 otherwise it is DOA.

V-Rally 4 needs to launch a week or two before Forza Horizon 4 otherwise it is DOA.

I actually hope they don't rush it out to beat the 'bigger' franchise like Project Cars 2 did, the backlash from a buggy as hell launch (PS4/XOne versions at least) did a lot of damage probably not worth getting a few extra initial launch sales, if any. People will know Horizon 4 is a week or two later and will be reluctant to spend on a similar game from a more 'unknown' developer.

I'd say it's better to wait until November so you can still capitalise on the Black Friday crowd, polish the game and have a release window genre-wise at least to yourself.

I might add that some of the movements he was asked to do are identical to the drivers in F1 2017. F1 2017 is made by... Codemasters.

I might add that some of the movements he was asked to do are identical to the drivers in F1 2017. F1 2017 is made by... Codemasters.

Much like Assetto Corsa Competizione: The Official Blancpain GT Series Game...

How about DiRT Rally 2: The Official World Rally Championship Game.

How does that sound? Would be nice, right? :)

What on earth is going on ?

After WRC7 I was really looking forward to WRC8 by Kylotonn I thought that it would probably be a masterpiece.

Reading between the lines I think it's a fair assumption that they have lost the rights, shame I wonder why ?

If this is true then I hope that either Milestone or Codemasters have got it.

If Milestone, let's hope for an improved spiritual successor to SLRE, both in graphics and sound. Handling is already spot on.

If Codemasters, let's hope for an improved Dirt Rally 2 with Evolutions input, and a game not like Dirt 4. Perhaps this is the WRC's final resting place.

I would like it if they could make WRC and Dirt games alongside each other. Dirt 5 needs to be like D2/3, Dirt Rally 2 could be the new WRC game series.

Last edited:
3 and 4 were definite improvements over 1 and 2. They just didn't quite reach the level of polish I expected from an official WRC game. I am from the time Evolution Studios used to handle that function. Those games were amazing...
As @FT-1 has suggested, I think that the WRC franchise has been more restrictive than not, plus some inconsistent reviewing kept the studio poorer than they might have been.

...The modelling depends. Some cars are ok and others are just wrong, the proportions on the Fiesta WRC (the one you show) were wrong, from the first game it showed up on to the very last one. The most egregious modelling error for that car was the wing, whose tips didn't even touch the car. It was like it was suspended in mid-air. Despite that obvious flaw (much more so than other parts of the car), they never fixed it...
Fair enough, I rarely know what the cars should look like or not :) they just seemed better to me.

What on earth is going on ?

After WRC7 I was really looking forward to WRC8 by Kylotonn I thought that it would probably be a masterpiece.

Reading between the lines I think it's a fair assumption that they have lost the rights, shame I wonder why ?

If this is true then I hope that either Milestone or Codemasters have got it.

If Milestone, let's hope for an improved spiritual successor to SLRE, both in graphics and sound. Handling is already spot on.

If Codemasters, let's hope for an improved Dirt Rally 2 with Evolutions input, and a game not like Dirt 4. Perhaps this is the WRC's final resting place.

I would like it if they could make WRC and Dirt games alongside each other. Dirt 5 needs to be like D2/3, Dirt Rally 2 could be the new WRC game series.
I agree 100%. As those who love Dirt 2/3 and those that love Rally and some love both. I would add a little dirt showdown mixed with Dirt 2/3 combined would make a great fun simcade game. And that would give the serious Rally guys the game they want.

Gotta love how a thread about a V-Rally game got sidetracked into discussion about who's going to make the next WRC game.

I myself am not very fond of WRC games due to how they usually have a dull car list (WRC7's 911 did make me turn my head though) and lack gameplay music (before you ask - I usually mute co-driver's voice volume, I don't need no stinkin' co-driver). Pretty sure V-Rally 4 would benefit in these aspects due to not being a WRC game. At least the presence of 911 and Mustang makes me cross my fingers.

Gotta love how a thread about a V-Rally game got sidetracked into discussion about who's going to make the next WRC game.

I myself am not very fond of WRC games due to how they usually have a dull car list (WRC7's 911 did make me turn my head though) and lack gameplay music (before you ask - I usually mute co-driver's voice volume, I don't need no stinkin' co-driver). Pretty sure V-Rally 4 would benefit in these aspects due to not being a WRC game. At least the presence of 911 and Mustang makes me cross my fingers.

We already know the game has around 50 cars at release. If SLRE, Gravel and the DiRT series are anything to go by, that quantity should make for a varied list in an off-road racing game.

I’m a huge fan of V-Rally from smashing the first two games back on release. Plus like others have said the TT game and WRC7 have shown the developer can make good games.

Another reason I’ll be watching this like a hawk is I want a racing game for the Switch. While I like Mariokart I want a real racing game.

I still want Switch to have a racing game akin to Gran Turismo. While Redout, Fast RMX and this seem to be fun, they don't excite me enough to want to buy the console. Gear.Club Unlimited, on the other hand, is said to be quite crappy (which is a huge shame, as I'm a big fan of TDU). And Mario Kart is, well, absolute meh, not wanna play that at all.

With E3 on the horizon I think we are going to find out real soon who is developing WRC8..

I'm still holding out for Kylotonn! I'm still loving WRC7 :)

Looks great so far! I hope the trailer running at 60fps means all versions of the game run at that rate too.

Latest Posts

Back