VIP is a consumable? (*UPDATED*)

• Thread starter urmie
  • 83 comments
Won't be buying VIP again. Bought the standard version of FM6 and payed for VIP separately for the x2 credits and extra cars. Bought the ultimate edition for FM7 figuring why not? Pretty disappointed with this decision.

Just popped in to this forum to say how great I think the demo is... I know, I should have got round to it ages ago... I'm very pleased I didn't just shell out for the VIP preorder. It seems that a combination of misleading advertising and expectation-through-precedent are leading a lot of players to expect that VIP will be a permanent player status with permanent benefits.

Not cool, Turn 10, with every iteration of an otherwise brilliant game you seem to find more ways to squeeze more blood from stones.

Which should alarm T10, as business, yes?
If the only people happy with neutering VIP packages are those who weren't interested in it anyway.

So you want them to be more greedy? You guys are mad that you're no longer forced to pay more money for basic stuff in an already $60 game. Just don't buy VIP now and be happy that you saved money. Unless you already bought it thinking it would be like older games, then yeah that bites.

So you want them to be more greedy? You guys are mad that you're no longer forced to pay more money for basic stuff in an already $60 game. Just don't buy VIP now and be happy that you saved money. Unless you already bought it thinking it would be like older games, then yeah that bites.
It's the first and looks like the last time I bought it, and yes, on the assumption it would be like other Forza games.
It's not the only reason I got the ultimate version, but it did actually push me into saying yes.

I have less than 250 cars in FH3 after 6 months, I don't want it to take 18 months for 750.

I bought ultimate but not really for VIP. If VIP wasn't even part of it, I'd still have bought ultimate for the car pass and early access. (I can't wait a few more days knowing I could already be playing it.) Given the choice, I'd rather have the VIP bonus be permanent, but it doesn't ruin anything for me. I don't know of a racing game that has satisfied me more than this. If I could wave a magic wand and undo my purchase, I wouldn't. It's still the best console racing game to date. (I didn't say "sim", in case someone wants to argue pedantics.)

In the end, you were wise Mikey.
In the end I was very lucky, @ykiki. I didn't have any special knowledge about a change to VIP membership and had no reason to believe Microsoft would change a formula that's presumably been successful for several iterations of the franchise. I'm astounded they'd indulge in what seems to me like crazy self-foot-shooting like this.

Last edited:
I actually like this a lot. In the previous games being locked out of normal progression of XP and credits unless you paid $19.99 seemed incredibly messed up to me. And now all the VIP cars are Forza Editions so it doesn't feel like you're missing out on anything important if you play the base game with no VIP.
You weren't locked out of normal progression; you had normal progression. What VIPs had were sped up progression because they paid for that perk. Same with the exclusive VIP cars & free car pass. You paid extra money to get extra stuff.

People are upset though, because they pre-ordered based on the past which had a pretty, well defined trend. They switched it up this time around & waited right up until release (or in this case, post-release) to specify the changes. This is nothing to like. If you think this is acceptable for how they treat people who paid $80-$100 ($20-$40 more than normal edition owners) for more perks, then it sets a tone for what they can do the base game altogether. I have already read one member say the career mode has the "homologation" feature set standard so it automatically upgrades/degrades your car to meet the AI. In past games, you could basically get away with the AI being reset to your level or, ignore it altogether for a challenge.

This is a really poor move by the franchise & brings an unfortunate accusation to question. Instead of adding in a lot more content of tracks/cars, we got dynamic weather (which is a really nice plus, of course), did we get a revised Forza 6 with some new features that had some logic applied to them that may have taken 1 or 2 features a step back instead of forward. Luckily, I think there is a chance if enough backlash comes from the rest of the user base when they get the game on its normal release, T10 could revise or reverse the criticisms. They do a decent job listening to the fans at launch, which is the most opportune time to be cut a little slack to get a game running smoothly. We'll see if they do though.

You weren't locked out of normal progression; you had normal progression. What VIPs had were sped up progression because they paid for that perk. Same with the exclusive VIP cars & free car pass. You paid extra money to get extra stuff.

People are upset though, because they pre-ordered based on the past which had a pretty, well defined trend. They switched it up this time around & waited right up until release (or in this case, post-release) to specify the changes. This is nothing to like. If you think this is acceptable for how they treat people who paid $80-$100 ($20-$40 more than normal edition owners) for more perks, then it sets a tone for what they can do the base game altogether. I have already read one member say the career mode has the "homologation" feature set standard so it automatically upgrades/degrades your car to meet the AI. In past games, you could basically get away with the AI being reset to your level or, ignore it altogether for a challenge.

This is a really poor move by the franchise & brings an unfortunate accusation to question. Instead of adding in a lot more content of tracks/cars, we got dynamic weather (which is a really nice plus, of course), did we get a revised Forza 6 with some new features that had some logic applied to them that may have taken 1 or 2 features a step back instead of forward. Luckily, I think there is a chance if enough backlash comes from the rest of the user base when they get the game on its normal release, T10 could revise or reverse the criticisms. They do a decent job listening to the fans at launch, which is the most opportune time to be cut a little slack to get a game running smoothly. We'll see if they do though.

I guess it's subjective. I have VIP in Horizon 2 and Forza 6 and don't have it in Horizon 3. To me the VIP just felt like a normal amount of money/XP while no VIP felt like chump change. So it feels more like paying extra to have a restrictor plate uninstalled than it does to get "extra stuff". And I wouldn't even call it "stuff". It's not even content. It didn't cost them anything to make.

I just can't believe everybody was cool with it... Would you guys be cool with a $60 RPG charging $20 to level up twice as fast? I bet that would get a backlash of epic proportions. For some reason fine in Forza though. I'm still glad they neutered VIP.

I guess it's subjective. I have VIP in Horizon 2 and Forza 6 and don't have it in Horizon 3. To me the VIP just felt like a normal amount of money/XP while no VIP felt like chump change. So it feels more like paying extra to have a restrictor plate uninstalled than it does to get "extra stuff". And I wouldn't even call it "stuff". It's not even content. It didn't cost them anything to make.

I just can't believe everybody was cool with it... Would you guys be cool with a $60 RPG charging $20 to level up twice as fast? I bet that would get a backlash of epic proportions. For some reason fine in Forza though. I'm still glad they neutered VIP.
You talk as if that's all one got for their money. Ignore the Car Pass, Unique Cars, etc....

You talk as if that's all one got for their money. Ignore the Car Pass, Unique Cars, etc....

Hey I'm just talking about VIP not Ultimate. Without the increased progression the old VIP would basically be a $20 car pack. Of cars that were ready at launch and should've just been in the regular game.

Hey I'm just talking about VIP not Ultimate. Without the increased progression the old VIP would basically be a $20 car pack. Of cars that were ready at launch and should've just been in the regular game.
In the case of Forza 6, you got 3 Car Packs plus VIP perks for $20: the 10 Year Anniversary Pack (10 cars) + F&F (10 cars) + VIP cars (5 brand new cars). Car Packs were normally $7 for 7 cars. With that amounting to $1/car, in the old games, buying up meant getting 35 cars for $20 in the Deluxe Edition. Ultimate Edition would net you the Car Pass in addition for $20 more ($10 discount).

The 10 year pack was just cars already in the game, however, the debate of whether the rest should or should not have been included is irrelevant. Your claim is still incorrect; you did not purchase VIP for $20 when you bought it with the Deluxe/Ultimate editions.

I get why people are mad about VIP. I usually want it for the exclusive card and early access. I don't care about double progression but it is still lame as hell to lie about that.

I had already made my decision not to buy the membership weeks ago when they revealed that the not-so VIP cars were just recycled Forza Edition cars, but this new drama just put an extra nail in the coffin for me.

In the case of Forza 6, you got 3 Car Packs plus VIP perks for $20: the 10 Year Anniversary Pack (10 cars) + F&F (10 cars) + VIP cars (5 brand new cars). Car Packs were normally $7 for 7 cars. With that amounting to $1/car, in the old games, buying up meant getting 35 cars for $20 in the Deluxe Edition. Ultimate Edition would net you the Car Pass in addition for $20 more ($10 discount).

The 10 year pack was just cars already in the game, however, the debate of whether the rest should or should not have been included is irrelevant. Your claim is still incorrect; you did not purchase VIP for $20 when you bought it with the Deluxe/Ultimate editions.

All I could find about the 10 Year Anniversary Pack is that it was a "digital edition pre-order exclusive" with one car being held back by VIP, the Ferrari 458 Speciale. So that pack you could've gotten for free by pre-ordering, no VIP required. Excluding the Ferrari of course. All I could find with the FF Pack is that it was included in the Deluxe & Ultimate digital editions. No mentions of VIP.

And I don't understand the point you're trying to make with the last statement. That VIP was cheaper if you paid more money?

All I could find about the 10 Year Anniversary Pack is that it was a "digital edition pre-order exclusive" with one car being held back by VIP, the Ferrari 458 Speciale. So that pack you could've gotten for free by pre-ordering, no VIP required. Excluding the Ferrari of course. All I could find with the FF Pack is that it was included in the Deluxe & Ultimate digital editions. No mentions of VIP.

And I don't understand the point you're trying to make with the last statement. That VIP was cheaper if you paid more money?
VIP is included with Deluxe & Ultimate Editions.

The point is that, "VIP would basically be a $20 car pack" is incorrect. You paid $20-$40 more for VIP plus other content if you bought the Deluxe/Ultimate editions.

VIP this time around is very underwhelming indeed, also the choice of FE cars themselves.

The way I see it, they can solve this by giving us VIPs regular monthly loot crates with more mods and a Forza Edition car each time. And by making the VIP FE cars extremely difficult to get without VIP.

That said, the current FE VIP cars do offer some decent extras.

See, it's this kind of thing that had me worried since their relatively lack-luster lead up to Forza 7's release. T10 realize that they are now a league of their own with no rival to challenge them now that GT has backed out of the race so to speak. At first I thought this was neat, FM is being more GT than GT. But now realize this is an issue.

Who will you go to now if Forza screws it up? What game comes even close to what Forza is? No one that's who. T10 can do whatever they want now because there are no other console games that are like it now and they know it.

See, it's this kind of thing that had me worried since their relatively lack-luster lead up to Forza 7's release. T10 realize that they are now a league of their own with no rival to challenge them now that GT has backed out of the race so to speak. At first I thought this was neat, FM is being more GT than GT. But now realize this is an issue.

Who will you go to now if Forza screws it up? What game comes even close to what Forza is? No one that's who. T10 can do whatever they want now because there are no other console games that are like it now and they know it.
I'm not too worried about it right now, to be totally honest. I still have a lot of racing to do, but right now this is looking like the best Forza I've ever played, and I've played them all except the first one. We still have the auction house, forzathon and all kinds of other coolness to come our way yet.

If they keep putting out games like this, I'm not worried about Forza screwing up, I'm not worried about micro transactions, the VIP thing isn't even bothering me anymore. If they keep putting out games like this I will buy it, and so will tons of other people. I think there's a bit too much nitpicking going on to be honest.

I'm not too worried about it right now, to be totally honest. I still have a lot of racing to do, but right now this is looking like the best Forza I've ever played, and I've played them all except the first one. We still have the auction house, forzathon and all kinds of other coolness to come our way yet.

If they keep putting out games like this, I'm not worried about Forza screwing up, I'm not worried about micro transactions, the VIP thing isn't even bothering me anymore. If they keep putting out games like this I will buy it, and so will tons of other people. I think there's a bit too much nitpicking going on to be honest.
I'm glad you are enjoying the game. Happy that VIP and m/c's don't bother you. But 'I'm personally worried, and I feel we are at the top of a slippery slope here. It always starts small and you're having a great time. There are little niggles here and there but it's not an issue; well, not mine at least. Then you get a hit in the nads that you never saw coming. See Shadow of Mordor vs. Shadow of War, Halo 4 to Halo 5, or even Forza 4 to Forza 5.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game. Happy that VIP and m/c's don't bother you. But 'I'm personally worried, and I feel we are at the top of a slippery slope here. It always starts small and you're having a great time. There are little niggles here and there but it's not an issue; well, not mine at least. Then you get a hit in the nads that you never saw coming. See Shadow of Mordor vs. Shadow of War, Halo 4 to Halo 5, or even Forza 4 to Forza 5.
Most of the complaints I've read about microtransactions seem to be based on what Turn 10 are going to do in the future regards charging real cash money for advancement. Meanwhile most of the comments from people who are actually playing the game don't seem to bear out the complaints much. Perhaps it's a case of wait and see.

Last edited:
It's fake rage. The game doesn't push loot crate at all. There is no need to buy any to progress. It is utterly ridiculous that anyone complain about the loot crate design in Forza 7. It's perfectly fine.

No, it's not.

Some cars are locked behind loot crates. You can not buy all the cars!
If you want that specific car, you have to go skinner box.

Welp, I just won a VIP code through the Forza 7 Virtual Key Sweepstakes, So at least I wont have to pay for it now.
Also won the Hoonigan pack, Just need to scrounge up $60 to actually buy the game.

No, it's not.

I'm one of those people who just don't care. I already got my cars (which is the Sport Quattro S1) and more cars will be like an icing on a cake.

I barely even pay attention to the loot crates but treat them as bonuses.

No, it's not.

I don't think we even know what specific cars are hidden behind a loot box, do we? Only a general list of what's locked in the Collection Screen with a few of them being discovered through the Specialty Dealer & Showcases. Some appear to be given based on Driver Levels reached.

Back