Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,056 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT ****ING BAST*RD!!! Ambrose should lose all of his points. He's a fa**ot. To show that I'm not biasd. Skaife should lose his points too. Murph should get their points. He actually deserves them.
Ambrose is engaged to his high school girlfriend so it seems quite clear that he is not a faggot. What did Ambrose do to deserve to lose all his points? Skaife didn't even get any points! Why should Murphy get their points? He didn't finish either!

They did count it...I think.
It depends who you talk to. He has won ten endurance races at Bathurst. He has won one 500 mile race, eight 1000 kilometer races and one 24 hour race.
Why should AVESCO and the V8 Supercars pick up the history of past Bathurst endurance races. It's not on the same 'traditional' weekend it used to be, not run by the same organisation it used to be and not run under the same rules it used to be. So perhaps if he wins this year it should be called his first V8 Supercar win at Bathurst. Lets go back to the rules scenario. Peter Brock won the Hardie Ferodo 500 in 1972 under Series Production regulations. He then won the Hardie Ferodo 1000 three times from 1978 to 1980 under Group C regulations. After that he won the James Hardie 1000 three times from 1981 to 1984 under Group C regulations, he then won the James Hardie 1000 once in 1987 under Group A regulations and then won the Formula Green Bathurst 24 Hour race in 2003. So one could argue that he has won the Bathurst 500 once, the Bathurst 1000 eight times and the Bathurst 24 hour once, or you could argue that he has won one Series Production race at Bathurst, seven Group C races at Bathurst, one Group A race at Bathurst and one Class A/outright victory at the Bathurst 24 hour.
I don't necessarly go along with any of these points but they are very valid points which have come up since the 24 hour race last year. Just to stir things up a bit, Peter Brock won two of the V8 BRute races at Bathurst last year before the start of the Bathurst 24 hour race so he actually has twelve Bathurst wins...
 
Ambrose just has a way of pissing me off. Skaife....... Is even more like JPM. Murph has always recieved the **** end of the stick. Mainly by CAMS and AVESCO. He's the one who always gets shafted.

I'm just curious to know if anyone will pull an extremely fast lap, out of their as* like Murph did last year.
 
I'm just curious to know if anyone will pull an extremely fast lap, out of their as* like Murph did last year.
Or spent 5 minutes in the 5hitter like the year before.
 
Anyone see the news (sports tonight )? Steve Richards on the Tv having a sook about how the appeal was upheld

IMO if he actually tried winning a race he could be in front of the championship and not crying about how Ambrose got his points back, I'll bet good ole Larry "The Whinger" Perkins put him up to it
 
DRIFT4EVA
I'm just curious to know if anyone will pull an extremely fast lap, out of their as* like Murph did last year.
I'm curious to see whether he can pull a lap like last years without missing a gear?
 
Bollocks#999
Anyone see the news (sports tonight )? Steve Richards on the Tv having a sook about how the appeal was upheld

IMO if he actually tried winning a race he could be in front of the championship and not crying about how Ambrose got his points back, I'll bet good ole Larry "The Whinger" Perkins put him up to it
hahahahahha, you took the words out of my mouth, mate, exactly what I was thinking.

And why the hell should SBR have copped that points loss. It was quite clear that it had no performance advantage. Its even stupid to sudjest that he should have lost points. Seriously, Ford lover or not. You cant just say that he deserved it because you hate him.....
Please, try to leave this thread for inteligent V8supercar talk..... :)

PS. Check out this article on v8supercars.com:
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/latestnews/newsdisplay.asp?Ind=M&gid=11990

Quote from Richo:
"Obviously it is much better to go to the lead through racing on the track rather than through stewards’ decisions as long as we are competing against legal cars"
 
....as Ive said, if Richo actually stopped whining and started winning, he wouldnt have anything to complain about
 
Considerring he hasn't won a race he should be bloody happy with second.
 
I really hope they will change the way the points are allocated for next year. Its ridiculous that the Champoinship leader can have one off round and literlly be out of the championship contension.

Their should be more info regarding the SBR thing in RPM I reckon today. Not that we havent had enough on that topic ;)
More CPR whinging too I bet........
 
only saw Skaife and Brocky on RPM on Sunday (too bloody busy at work), the king whinger and a guy who should know when to retire...

It got a bit louder at work then before Skaife replied (the question was about SBR and the appeal)

Anyone know what the answer was?
 
Basically both said that it was bad for the sport to have decisions reversed (Which is true) but they based their argument that the original decision shouldnt have been reveresed on a fact that the modification to the ECU was done on purpose.

But also said on RPM was that the mistake on the ECU was done my a company that SBR outsourced the work to.....
Meh....its all over I guess and the rightful leader of the champoinship is back at the top.
 
Thanks 👍
 
Didn't read the posts, i'm replying to the original topic;

I voted for Ford, I was going to say neither, as I believe neither are that good a manufacturer, and i believe neither are very competitive.
But I put ford because, they use their own engines, rather than holden who get given GMs, (yes fords american but at least they have their real name and the engines mainly designed by australians) and Fords engineering is also more advanced. Not sure about the v8 supercars, but i know on the road Fords are using OHCs but Holden are still clutching to pushrod engines.


Um, about V8 supercars, I find it to be not a bad motorsport, but I don't really get impressed with high speed straights, i get more interested with tight corner work, which v8 supercars is lacking, but that's just me.

Kinda get bored watching a tonne of Land Boats going around a near circle. :P
 
Fords are ok. I'm a Holden man. Holden hasn't been around aslong as Ford has. Holden is pretty much their own company. They just share things with GM, or if needed Backing. Fords use Windsor engines. I don't even know anything about them. I thought Windsor was a seperate company who built Fords engines, then Ford slapped their badge on them.

No offence but do you know what Bathurst is? That is hardly anywhere near an oval track.
 
Ya, i know bathurst, i knew as soon as i wrote that people are gonna say bathurst, blah blah, bathurst is an okay track, it works well for the v8 supercar style of racing, and don't get me wrong i love watching it, but it doesn't excite me as much as say watching laps on Tsukuba, cause that's the sort of track i love, everyones different.
 
RyosukeFCDS
........everyones different.
You said it 👍

Adelaide
Philip Island
Hidden Valley

They all seem to have their twisty points.

Bathurst is the obvious choice though. Someone always ****s it up at some stage.
 
^ 6hours of racing, you expect it to go perfectly in these big hunks of metal?

I'm losing interest in V8's with everything becoming same spec.

Personally I'm a holden man:tup:
 
Well it seams that lowndes is looking for a different team next season (Heard it on the news yesterday). I realisticlly hope he goes to the Ozemail team and replace Brad Jones. That would be a good matchup with Bowe. I reckon he'll do well there as Bowe shows some good pace in certain rounds this year.

Its a good move by lowndes as FPR were the most unreliable bastards to him ever! Seton is also considering his future.
The ultimiate matchup would be Lowndes at SBR with Ambrose......and possibly Russel to Ozemail maybe........

I'm definelty a ford man but I can appreciate holdens (I'm not one of those tools that hates the opposition). But, If I had the cash, I wouldnt buy either. There are so much better cars to buy (Euro or Japanese) for that kinda cash. I'd be more likely to by a ford though because at least they arnt using ancient technology (runs for cover :dopey: ).
 
But I put ford because, they use their own engines, rather than holden who get given GMs
If you are talking about the racing engines, both the Holden and Ford engines were originally based on NASCAR blocks, so Holden were given engines by General Motors and Ford Australia were given engines by Ford America. If you are talking about the production cars, in the seventies Holden were using their own five litre engine while Ford Aus were importing the 5.8 litre engine from the US, so Ford weren't using their own engine either. In the eighties, Holden were still using their own five litre engine and Ford Aus didn't even sell a car that had a V8!
yes fords american but at least they have their real name and the engines mainly designed by australians
How isn't Holden their real name? Holden has been around for more than a century, I'm pretty sure it's a real name. Ford Australia have as much to do with Ford US as Holden have with GM. Just because Holden uses a Chev badged engine and not a Holden badged engine doesn't mean a thing. General Motors purchased an established company called Holden, kept the name and began building cars. Ford set up an Australian branch of their American company and weren't creative enough to give it a different name to distinguish it from Ford in other countries. Does your comment mean Subaru isn't Subarus real name or Opel isn't Opels real name or Saab isn't Saabs real name just because they are owned by GM? Is Jaguar or Aston Martin not their real name because they are owned by Ford? Is Ferrari not their real name? Is Lamborghini not their real name?
Not sure about the v8 supercars, but i know on the road Fords are using OHCs but Holden are still clutching to pushrod engines.
All the V8 Supercars use pushrod five litre V8's. It is against the rules to use anything else. It is a big reason why Mitsubishi and Toyota haven't entered the V8 Supercar series.
Holden hasn't been around aslong as Ford has.
Holden has been around since the mid 1800s. They were a family blacksmith company and also built wagons. When car companies like Dodge, GM, Pontiac and Ford started exporting cars to Australia they only exported the chassis and running gear. They got a local company such as Holden to build the bodies to go onto the cars. Yes, there are old Fords out there that were partly built by Holden.
Fords use Windsor engines. I don't even know anything about them. I thought Windsor was a seperate company who built Fords engines, then Ford slapped their badge on them.
Windsor is the name of Fords small block V8 which was built in Windsor, Ontario in the US. It was introduced in 1962 and was originally a 221ci motor.
I realisticlly hope he goes to the Ozemail team and replace Brad Jones.
Brad Jones ownes the team. I don't think he is ready to do a Mark Larkham yet.
 
You're a smart guy, know a lot more than me on the topic.

All the V8 Supercars use pushrod five litre V8's. It is against the rules to use anything else. It is a big reason why Mitsubishi and Toyota haven't entered the V8 Supercar series.

They all use pushrod engines because that's the rules?, my respect went down a lot now. I don't understand the rules they have in place. I guess you could put it down to maybe they're worried a japanese manufacturer would get interested and put down a really well designed engine and Japanese racer guys. But then again that's only because the Japanese have been focused on OHC styles for a long long time, I'd say they're the most advanced at extracting power out of them.

How isn't Holden their real name? Holden has been around for more than a century, I'm pretty sure it's a real name. Ford Australia have as much to do with Ford US as Holden have with GM

That was my point, that Ford still had ford there, so it's always known they're an American company at heart, but having Holden and a total lack of GM anywhere in their name, is what i don't like, they're just appealing to the australian public and it gives the impression Holden is solely based in Australia, and all it's profits etc stay for australia, they're all australian designed, there are alot of people who believe this and buy holden cars simply because they think they're fully australian. That just irks me a little.
 
That was my point, that Ford still had ford there, so it's always known they're an American company at heart, but having Holden and a total lack of GM anywhere in their name, is what i don't like, they're just appealing to the australian public and it gives the impression Holden is solely based in Australia...
Their official name is General Motors-Holden.
They all use pushrod engines because that's the rules?, my respect went down a lot now. I don't understand the rules they have in place.
Mostly to contain costs. Neither Ford or Holden had OHCs when the V8 formula was introduced and it would cost a lot to develop an OHC motor. AVESCO was keen to have Mitsubishi and Toyota in the field but Ford and Holden wasn't. Mitsubishi and Toyota both decided that, for now, it was too expensive to build and develop a V8 Supercar and source a suitable motor.
 
Ah see i knew you were smart.

I have just never seen the name General Motors-Holden plastered anywhere.

Ford have OHC motors, I really think it would be in GM-Holdens best interests to get into OHC production.
 
WOW!!! :eek: That was the best V8 Supercar race yet. I still don't know who actually won yet though. Sux how Murph had the troubles. Still finished though. That race was definately the best yet.
 
What a finish! Go Cameron!!!! What a bloody finish:D
 
Yeah that was a great race. At the end of the coverage it showed some footage of how Cameron passed UNDER GREEN but its a pitty kelly didnt block as it would have been somewhat fairer.....
Oh well, cameron needed a good finish before the season was out.
But hard luck for Ambrose. If only he tried reversing earlier to get out of that rut and finish with some points. And a real pitty for Brad Jones. He was running 4th before fuel problems set it and same with bowe who copped a drive through for nudging ambrose (fair call too though).

But real glad cameron won (coming from a FORD fan), he is such a great guy and was really struggling in the Lansvale smash repairs days but hopefully does well in the future....
 
Ambrose did try reversing but the tires didn't give him enough grip to get out of the little whole they dug when he spun the wheels in first.
 
Here are a couple of interesting articles I found on the FOXTEL website.

Lowndes begged to stay
July 24, 2004

FORD superstar Craig Lowndes is being begged by his bosses not to quit his floundering V8 Supercar team.
Speculation has been rife that Lowndes will part company with Ford Performance Racing (FPR) at season's end to link with another Ford team.
FPR was set up two years ago, ostensibly as a mega-budget vehicle for Lowndes to showcase his talent and win Ford a championship.
But the operation, backed by British motorsport giant Prodrive, has failed miserably, with Lowndes' victory in a rain-shortened Phillip Island race last season their only sniff of success.
And while Lowndes and FPR have trundled around with the backmarkers, Marcos Ambrose and Stone Brothers Racing have risen to become Ford's pre-eminent driver and team.
Lowndes, 30, is contracted to Ford until the end of 2005 on a $700,000 a year deal, but his agreement with FPR expires at the end of this season.
So serious is Prodrive about keeping Lowndes and fixing FPR that the company's managing director Nick Fry, whose outfit also runs high-flying Formula One team BAR, bypassed the German Grand Prix this weekend for a mercy dash to the V8 Supercar round at Winton.
"We would like him to stay very much and I think we've got a better than even chance," Fry said.
"What I hope to do is convince Craig that we're his best bet for winning races, I need to convince Craig we've got a plan to improve.
"It is my intention to find out what the drivers would like us to do, and then do it."
Fry is hoping to appoint a new team manager shortly amid a total shake-up of its problem child V8 operation.
He said FPR's record of just one podium finish this year amid a raft of mechanical failures was not good enough.
"It's totally unacceptable. We are used to doing well," Fry said.
"We are totally committed to making this work.
"We have been fairly successful in other formulae. This (V8s) has proven quite difficult but we are committed to making this successful.
"Winning is the only acceptable solution and we intend to get there."
AAP

Johnson dumps Ford for Holden
By Ray Kershler
July 25, 2004

MOTOR sport legend Dick Johnson is believed to be negotiating a stunning switch from Ford to Holden.
Johnson, who has been the sporting and commercial face of Ford for 30 years, has been battling to retain his profile in V8 supercar racing since his retirement in 1999.
Johnson, one of only a few drivers with multiple wins in the Bathurst 1000, is also one of a handful who established their own racing team.
Although he started his fledgling career in a Holden, he quickly switched to Ford and his Shell Helix Racing team has been one of the biggest names in motorsport for decades.
There have been suggestions for some years that he was disappointed by the amount of support he has been receiving from Ford, but his relationship with Shell Helix is believed to be solid. However, a defection to Holden would rock the sport.
Johnson yesterday refused to comment on the suggestion, but neither he nor his general manager Steve Chalker denied the rumour.
"I am currently negotiating for next year but until all the ducks are in a row I can't say anything," Johnson said.
Since his retirement Johnson's team has won only two rounds of the V8 Supercar championship.
By moving to Holden, Johnson would open up his racing team to a wealth of V8 Supercar talent, with Holden drivers Garth Tander, Greg Murphy, to name just two, on the market at the end of the season.
The rumours about Johnson's move to Holden come hot on the heels of suggestions that disgruntled Ford driver Craig Lowndes would move to his team and another that Johnson's Shell Helix team was up for sale.
Johnson was tight-lipped as the rumours swept pitlane at Round 7 of the national V8 Supercar championship.
But the switch to Holden is regarded as the most credible and, if it comes off, would be an enormous boost for the Holden company in its battle with Ford in the domestic car market.
Holden boss Ray Borrett;'s only comment was: "This is all news to us."
The Sunday Telegraph

It would be nice to see Lowndes in a stable team at least.
Rumours always start somewhere. The DJR/Holden thing first came up about five years ago. Can't wait for an official DJR press release.
 
Yeah it’s a tuff one for Lowndes. FPR will definitely be strong but I reckon next season won’t be it. Its gonna take some time for them to be competitive but when they do, they'll definitely get results.

I read somewhere that a similar thing happened to Richard Burns where he was thinking of joining another team and what happened was they solved the issues that Burns had and they went on to win the WRC championship so if Lowdes does decide to stay, I think it wont be such a bad decision. The thing is who will he go to if he leaves. I mean OzeMail are pretty much the only real competitive Ford team out there......

As for DJR going to holden. I think that would be a disaster! DJR is, you could say, almost a house hold name in Australia and are synonymous with FORD so if he changes, that'd be shocking. I think he needs to think about his drivers and possibly recruit better ones (Lowndes perhaps)
 
I read somewhere that a similar thing happened to Richard Burns where he was thinking of joining another team...
I read that to. It was in an interview with Prodrive MD Nick Fry. I would prefer to see Lowndes stay just because Prodrive are very good at what they do, check their history. They will come good.
The thing is who will he go to if he leaves. I mean OzeMail are pretty much the only real competitive Ford team out there......
Ingall has been consistent but hasn't really matched Ambrose since moving to SBR. It has been mentioned somewhere that since both Ingall and Lowndes are contracted to Ford and not to their teams that they could do a straight swap, but one wouldn't wish something like that upon Seton... Brad Jones and John Bowe both seem very happy with their current arrangement, I can't see any movements happening at BJR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back