Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,114 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Dynamic say they wernt illegaly testing they're V8 supercar. They say it was a scientific test that had nothing to do with V8 supercars.:odd:
 
I wonder if the new paint scheme on "Team Dodo" this weekend is a result of the "scientific research" they were carrying out at Woomera.
Looks like PWR have a big night ahead repairing the damage from White's car.
 
Here is a quote from me that came from the "Rocky Road" thread:
Craig Lowndes and the Prodrive owned Ford Performance Racing. The only time they do any good is when Craig Lowndes' talent outweighs the many flaws in the cars capabilities, such as Phillip Island last year (wet) or Eastern Creek a few weeks ago (wet). The car is a 5HITBOX. Handles like 5hit and the Pommy built motors have got bugger all power. They blew up two motors at the first round in Adelaide and one motor at the second round at Eastern Creek. Get Craig into a half decent car and he will wipe the floor with the likes of HRT and SBR.
Bathurst is a track where the top drivers really stand out and it is a serious horsepower track. Craig qualified his underpowered FPR Falcon fourth today and was the quickest Ford.
 
Top ten to Saturday's Top 10 Shootout
1. Greg Murphy #51 K-Mart Racing Holden VY 2min 08.0940secs
2. Jason Bright #50 PWR Performance Products Holden VY 2min 08.1283secs
3. Steve Richards #11 Castrol Perkins Racing Holden VY 2min 08.1363secs
4. Craig Lowndes #6 Ford Performance Racing Ford BA 2min 08.3637secs
5. Russell Ingall #9 Caltex Havoline Racing Ford BA 2min 08.4064secs
6. Paul Morris #29 Paul Morris Motorsport Holden VY 2min 08.4906secs
7. Jason Bargwanna #10 Orrcon Racing Ford BA 2min 08.4963secs
8. John Bowe #21 OzEmail Internet Racing Ford BA 2min 08.5197secs
9. Paul Dumbrell #8 Castrol Perkins Motorsport Holden VX 2min 08.5285secs
10. Marcos Ambrose #1 Pirtek Racing Ford BA 2min 08.5736secs

11. Garth Tander #34 Repco Valvoline Cummins Holden VY 2min 08.6075secs
12. Steve Owen #15 K-Mart Racing Holden VY 2min 08.6405secs
13. Steven Johnson #17 Shell Helix Racing Ford BA 2min 08.6747secs
14. Steve Ellery #31 Super Cheap Auto Racing Ford BA 2min 08.6786secs
15. Andrew Jones #21 OzEmail Internet Racing Ford BA 2min 08.7553secs
16. Jason Richards #3 Tasman Motorsport Holden VY 2min 08.7926secs
17. Dean Canto #888 Team Betta Electrical Ford BA 2min 08.7949secs
18. Mark Skaife #2 Holden Racing Holden VY 2min 08.8824secs
19. Simon Wills #44 Road Ships/Alpha West Holden VY 2min 08.9469secs
20. Matthew White #16 PWR Performance Products Holden VY 2min 08.9482secs
21. David Besnard #23 WPS Financial Solutions Ford BA 2min 09.2191secs
22. Max Wilson #88 Team Betta Electrical Ford BA 2min 09.3980secs
23. Craig Baird #021 Team Kiwi Racing Holden VY 2min 09.6889secs
24. O.Kelly/D.Brabham #18 Shell Helix Racing Ford BA 2min 10.3965secs
25. D.Brede/W.Davison #45 Road Ships/Alpha West Holden VY 2min 10.4257secs
26. Peter Brock #05 Holden Racing Holden VY2min 10.5998secs
27. Anthony Tratt #75 Toll Racing Holden VY2min 10.7036secs
28. Mark Larkham #20 Larkham Orrcon Racing Ford BA 2min 10.9504secs
29. Alex Davidson #7 Castrol Perkins Motorsport Holden VX 2min 11.0541secs
30. Allan Simonsen #33 Repco Valvoline Cummins Holden VY 2min 11.1023secs
31. Mark Noske #14 IMS Holden VY 2min 11.2652secs
32. Alex Yoong #48 WPS Ford BA2min 12.2968secs
33. Garth Walden #24 Romano Racing Ford AU 2min 13.2514secs
34. D'Agostin/Wimmer #43 PWR Performance Products Holden VX 2min 13.8471secs

EXC. Seton #5 Ford Performance Racing Ford BA

These are the qualification results. I believe that this is before the Top Ten Shootout.

I wonder if Murph will be trying to get his Pukekohe record at Bathurst. Going for 3 in a row. If he wins on Sunday, then we'll find out next year.

The suprises-
Craig Lowndes - Up to 4th
Marcos Ambrose - Down in 10th
Mark Skaife - Way down in 18th
 
I'm not surprised that Ambrose wasn't further up the time sheets. SBR haven't done that well at Bathurst in the past. I am surprised that Dumbrell is ninth quickest. As for car 18, their qualifying time for the Konica race in the AU was quicker than the BA.
 
Yeah, I think that is a piece of footage none of us need to see again. Maybe Bathurst Council or AVESCO should think about putting up some removeable roo fences for the race. Although it is the first time anyone has hit a roo there have been plenty of occassions where a kangaroo has jumped onto the track and a driver has had to take evasive action. On the plus side the incident took out the pairing of Richards and Richards.
As much as I like Murphy, I was hoping he would have half a spin to give Glenn Seton or Brad Jones a win.
I do feel sorry for Alan Gurr. I've never liked Paul Morris but saying on national TV that a young drivers career is over because of a mistake at Bathurst is extremely harsh. Perhaps Morris should think back to when he took team boss Tony Longhurst out of the race in the two litre cars. Lucky Daddy Morris has plenty of money to fix the car.
 
Murph is the man. Kelly is too, I suppose. I don't want to see Kangaroo Jack getting hit again. A very sorry site. 2 big crashes. John Cleland(SP) VS Jason Plato & Mark Winterbottom VS Garth Tander.
 
i never want to see that footage EVER AGAIN!!!! Its way too disturbing, it shall be burnt. R.I.P the worlds most famous kangaroo (afta skippy)

but what a race....as a ford fan, i guess i am disappointed yet proud. 2-7 is good. but the drought continues. Cleland totally wrote his car off, lead lap cars coming togethetr in the closing stages. any bathurst is a good bathurst. WHY? well, if you include the F1 race in, i watched 12 HOURS OF MOTORSPORT. WOO!!!
 
Don't fancy sedan/saloon based cars too much.
 
I was actually forced to watch Bathurst. I had to lie in bed, in total pain. I'd done something to my back. So really it couldn't have happened at a better time. Yeah I never ever want to see that kangaroo get hit, again. I don't want to see images of anything getting hit. Like when Sainz hit the sheep on Rally NZ, those years back. That was sickening.:sick:
 
Nice one Murph, you make me a proud Kiwi. :)
Wow the kangaroo got a bit of air of that one. How fast was Richards going when he hit it?(It was under a yellow I belive?)
I only watched the race off and on though because I didnt wanna make myself sick of motor racing for the day because the Japanies GP was on.
 
There wasn't a yellow flag when Richards hit the roo and it didn't cause a yellow flag. The cars get up to about 190 kph through that part of the track so he was probably doing 170 to 180 when he hit the poor bugger.
 
WOW! I think Ambrose is going through mid-life crisis or something. He went ape at Rick, for nothing. Kelly was doing nothing wrong.

If I were Ellery. I'd check my pants. He must have been ****t!ng himself.

Good to see Murph get up their, but sad to see Rick taken out.
 
DRIFT4EVA
Kelly was doing nothing wrong.

Well he certainly did today. Exactly how he intended to get past I'll never know. What exactly was the point of getting on the inside of Bright? There was nothing to be gained by doing that. He's had some brain explossions in the past and been blaimed for doing things perhaps he didn't do.

But what he did today was just plain stupid. I think he's lucky that Bright is in a team that is somehow aligned with with his. If he had done that to someone like Ingall or Brad Jones he would have copped an absolutely massive spray for it.
 
I can understand Ambrose's frustration, but I agree, Rick was just putting on a little pressure, nothing wrong with that!! ;)

Go Murph!!
 
Murphy and Ambrose apparently had a heated arguement in the press conference about Ambrose 'brake testing' R Kelly after the race yesterday as they headed towards the pits. A reporter asked Ambrose about the brake test and Ambrose took the no comment approach, so Murphy gave Ambrose a spray. The journalist asked Ambrose a few more questions including how hard he hit the brake pedal. The arguement continued. You can watch the footage if you have BigPond Broadband.
I think Ambrose has just got himself in trouble with the brake test and the 'chat' he had with R Kelly after yesterdays race.
 
Since I dont have bigpond broardband I cant see it. I saw the "chat" with Marcus Ambrose had with Rick Kelly, but what was the deal with the "brake test"? Must have missed that...
 
Yep Kelly went from one extreme to the other. He didn't do anything, then he did everything.... WRONG!!! I think that during the night. He dreamed about a hot goddess who said that his knackers would drop if he pulled off an insane move. Oh well looks like he'll have to wait a little longer. Man that concrete fence sure did move.

I'd love to have been able to see that argument.

Definately GO MURPH!!!!
 
Schrodes
You can watch the footage if you have BigPond Broadband.

I'd love to watch the footage only problem is, i've got Windows Media Player 10 and can't get onto the site because it keeps telling me I can't access the site because I don't have WMP 9. And can't install WMP 9 because when I try to it says it doesn't need to install because I have WMP 10!

Which is a shame, I actually find the V8 Broadband site quite entertaining.
 
I'd love to have been able to see that argument.
Jason Bright and Kees Weel were pretty good about it. They said that Rick Kelly went straight up to them after the race an appologised for the incident. I guess Kees doesn't want to get stuck into Kelly and the KRT too much because Kees Weel owns Dencar who build and repair the chassis for PWR, HRT and KRT, so essentially, KRT are Weel's customer.
 
cpl_richie
I'd love to watch the footage only problem is, i've got Windows Media Player 10 and can't get onto the site because it keeps telling me I can't access the site because I don't have WMP 9. And can't install WMP 9 because when I try to it says it doesn't need to install because I have WMP 10!

Which is a shame, I actually find the V8 Broadband site quite entertaining.
Try uninstalling WMP10 and installing WMP9.
 
Schrodes
Jason Bright and Kees Weel were pretty good about it. They said that Rick Kelly went straight up to them after the race an appologised for the incident. I guess Kees doesn't want to get stuck into Kelly and the KRT too much because Kees Weel owns Dencar who build and repair the chassis for PWR, HRT and KRT, so essentially, KRT are Weel's customer.
Pfffft, Kelly ... he's caused a lot of trouble this weekend, racing Ambrose when he shouldn't, tapping Ingall in Race 1 and Brighty in Race 2. I was surprised he only got drive-throughs for that, I thought that with a few misadventures like that he'd get stripped of points.

A question to our American users (and I posted this in the CART thread too): Did the telecast of this weekend's CART race include the V8 Supercar support races? And if ddi, what did you think?
 
Pfffft, Kelly ... he's caused a lot of trouble this weekend, racing Ambrose when he shouldn't, tapping Ingall in Race 1 and Brighty in Race 2. I was surprised he only got drive-throughs for that, I thought that with a few misadventures like that he'd get stripped of points.
1. Kelly turns Ingall around at turn one race one. People get turned around at that corner every race. Kelly got hit with a drive through penalty. Case closed.
2. It's not breaking the rules for a lapped driver to stay behind a car if he is quicker. They had similar car speed. If Kelly got in front of Ambrose, Ambrose could stay with Kelly and all that would happen is Kelly would have blue flags being waved at him because he is a "slower car" and he would have to let Ambrose back passed him. Kelly did nothing wrong. Perhaps Ambrose should go back to go-karts.
3. Ambrose allegedly brake tested Kelly after crossing the finish line. This is unsportsman like, dangerous and is probably in the V8 Supercars code of conduct book. Should hear more about this from the stewards.
4. Ambrose approached Kelly after the race and allegedly abused him.
5. First turn race two. Contact with Bowe. Racing incident, no further action.
6. Contact with Bright. Accidental but pretty unforgiveable. Should hear more about this. Loss of points, fine or both.
These things must be looked at on a case by case basis. The stewards can't say "Well Kelly hit Ingall, Bowe and Bright and gave Ambrose the 5hits by being behind him, we should penalise him this much". They are seperate incidents and must be dealt with seperately. In any case, when the stewards hand out penalties the teams just appeal to the CAMS board and the penalty turns out to be much less than what the stewards handed out. eg Eastern Creek last year, Dumbrell at Adelaide, SBR at QLD, Team Dodo at Woomera and plenty more.
 
Is team DODO just Team Dynamik?
 
Schrodes
1. Kelly turns Ingall around at turn one race one. People get turned around at that corner every race. Kelly got hit with a drive through penalty. Case closed.
2. It's not breaking the rules for a lapped driver to stay behind a car if he is quicker. They had similar car speed. If Kelly got in front of Ambrose, Ambrose could stay with Kelly and all that would happen is Kelly would have blue flags being waved at him because he is a "slower car" and he would have to let Ambrose back passed him. Kelly did nothing wrong. Perhaps Ambrose should go back to go-karts.
3. Ambrose allegedly brake tested Kelly after crossing the finish line. This is unsportsman like, dangerous and is probably in the V8 Supercars code of conduct book. Should hear more about this from the stewards.
4. Ambrose approached Kelly after the race and allegedly abused him.
5. First turn race two. Contact with Bowe. Racing incident, no further action.
6. Contact with Bright. Accidental but pretty unforgiveable. Should hear more about this. Loss of points, fine or both.
These things must be looked at on a case by case basis. The stewards can't say "Well Kelly hit Ingall, Bowe and Bright and gave Ambrose the 5hits by being behind him, we should penalise him this much". They are seperate incidents and must be dealt with seperately. In any case, when the stewards hand out penalties the teams just appeal to the CAMS board and the penalty turns out to be much less than what the stewards handed out. eg Eastern Creek last year, Dumbrell at Adelaide, SBR at QLD, Team Dodo at Woomera and plenty more.
Kelly was easily the most dangerous out there!
1. Yes, a racing incident.
2. Racing ettiqutte says you shouldn't fight for position a lap down. Conspiracy theorists may thik Kelly was acting on team orders to get Murph back in the game.
3. Ambrose was braking to let Kelly through! But he didn't take it, instead deciding to stay and harrass him, further breaching ettiqutte.
4. Ambrose only told him to back off next time. Kelly said he threatened him, but lots of people supported Ambrose.
5. Another racing incident.
6. How many raicng incidents can you have in one weekend, even at Surfers? Ingall, trailing the two, said that was one of the stupidest passing moves he'd seen for a while. Kelly only said he was looking to pressure Brighty, but it was still a stupid place to be. Surely he knew that he was off the racing line and therefore had less grip ... if he didn't he's even stupider than I thought.

And yes, radicool, DODO is Team Dynamik. They suffered the withdrawl of a major sponsor (and their money) mid-season and so changed to Dodo to get more funds.
 
I think someone's a ford supporter :lol:
 
3. Ambrose was braking to let Kelly through! But he didn't take it, instead deciding to stay and harrass him, further breaching ettiqutte.
4. Ambrose only told him to back off next time. Kelly said he threatened him, but lots of people supported Ambrose.
The brake test that Ambrose has been fined $10,000 for happened after the finish line. The race was over. He did not brake to let Kelly through.
We'll hear more about the pitlane confrontation at the Symmonds Plains round.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back