Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,191 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
With wheels like that he's not likely to get lost in the rain :)
 
Schrodes
There goes another international career.
Indeed. I never would of expected him to come back to Australia.
 
Perhaps one of best seats in next years (No 88) championship is still vacant (publicly anyway). I wonder who will fill it?
 
Looks like silly season has well and truly opened - Paul Weel has stepped down as a driver to concentrate on his business dealings. That could be one of the most sought after Holden seats in the field - Murphy is one helluva good team mate to have.
 
Jamie Whincup has 88 and McConville will be with Murphy at Super Cheap Auto.
 
Also, DJR has given Westpoint the boot, possibly for a DJR owned finance company, Junior Johnson hasn't re-signed yet and Seton may be driveless next year as DJR may be buying out the remainder of his contract. Westpoint could be moving to HRT and Toll Express has gone to HSV Racing/Kelly Racing as title sponsor. Dean Canto is in a GRM Commodore again for Symmons Plains but no future deal as yet and with McConville on the move GRM are looking for two new drivers. Owen Kelly is another change for Symmons Plains and Phillip Island. He is driving the Autobarn Commodore instead of Alex Davison, who appears to have been dumped by Rod Nash.
 
I'd love to see Jnr Johnson do well away from DJR, he's had pace in the past and has shown brief flashes of speed this season.

I hope Seto gets a drive and Canto is in a Falcon. If Seton and Jnr Johnson leave DJR who will drive for them? I've heard Will Davidson is in for DJR. Still a real lack of competitive Falcons in the field. Take out SBR and 888 and I think some races you'd be lucky to have a FOrd in the top ten, maybe one day FPR will get it together, they certainly have the driver to do it with Bright
 
Seton is running 12th in the championship so he should have no trouble picking up a ride somewhere. Also, if Will Davison does end up at DJR then Seton is more than likely to stay IMO. He would be better at developing a young talent than Jnr Johnson - that's why he was teamed up with Jnr in the first place, to help him become better.

As for underperforming Ford teams - look at the teams championship... SBR, HRT, 888, and DJR and a total of 5 teams in the top 10 - looks pretty even to me.
 
That may be true but when was the last time a ford team (other than SBR or 888) looked like taking a round win? Or even a podium? (BJR's wet weather fluke doesn't count either)
 
Winterbottom and Larkham Motorsports have gone their seperate ways. This is looking like the best silly season since the last huge shakeup back in the late 90's.
 
Junior was holding off signing because he has one of SBR's top picks for Ambrose's car. With that taken care of now I'd say he will be at daddy's team again.
Jason Richards is staying at Tasman which is great news for them. They have a good team there and hopefully they can find some more money to have a better shot at race wins.
Young drivers don't get much of a chance these days. Canto was booted out of Briggs Motorsport a few years ago after just one season, Luff kicked out of DJR last year, Andrew Jones was given his marching oreder from GRM after Bathurst and Ritter is out of FPR in favour of David Brabham. Teams should give the young blokes a chance, it's a big step from the V8 Lites to the Supercar championship.
The Winterbottom one is a surprise, I thought Larkham said he was keeping both his drivers for next year. Could we see Seton in an Orrcon Falcon?
 
Schrodes
Could we see Seton in an Orrcon Falcon?
If Junior signs with Dad again then this seems likely. IMO a bad idea for DJR as Seton would definitely be a better partner for Will Davison.

Seto seems to be getting the rough end of the pineapple in all of this - despite being 12th in the championship, and a proven developer of cars and talent, the paddock seems to be writing him off as a has-been. Okay, he isn't winning races at the moment but he's not crashing out either - good value for money for a sponsor.

Of course, being a Seton supporter since '87 may make me see things through rose-coloured glasses (or at least Ford blue-coloured).
 
I read somewhere that Winterbottom has gone to FPR to replace Ritter. A good move for the money, not for the performance.
 
With the way Lowndes is finishing this season Ingall will have to better than motor around collecting points at Phillip Island like he did at Symmons Plains this weekend. I think Ingall has to finish lower than eighth in every race at PI for Lowndes to take the title.
Lowndes has won four rounds and Ingall has won one this year and Ingall is leading by 49 points. What a stupid system.
 
Todays practice session has Bright as quickest, then Ambrose, Lowndes, S.Richards, T.Kelly, Murphy, R.Kelly, Tander, Skaife and Ingall as the top ten. All six drivers still in contention for the title are there in the top ten although it was a close call for Ingall according to the V8 Supercar website. They say Ingall just scraped into the top ten with two minutes remaining in the session. His previous best time would have seen him in the bottom half qualifying session on Saturday.

The Australian Performance Car Championship is up for grabs this weekend at Phillip Island. Peter Floyd and his HSV currently lead Garry Holt and his Lancer by 47.5 points. There is a total of 93 points on offer this weekend. Floyd finds himself in a similar position to Ingall in that it is his championship to lose from here. If he does win it will be the first time a V8 has won the series.

Read this.
http://www.chaser.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2877&Itemid=26
 
It could be a close thing with Ingall this weekend, although if he finishes in the top 8 (?) he takes enough points to hang on even if Lowdnes wins every race. Seton is also (apparently) set to announce what he's doing next year but will wait until after the round (maybe beginning of December).

As for the APCC, I'd like to see Holt take it.

The Ford vs. Holden talks were doomed from the start. Any sensible punter could see such contests should be left to the professionals at Summernats. I hold grave fears for the VB vs. New debate :)
 
Well, congratulations to Russel Ingall. :cheers:
This final round was excellent and I can't wait till next year, lets hope it'll be an even bigger and closer championship, and hoe that holden wins. :D
 
Congratulations to Ingall. He was consistant this year so he deserved it.

I don't like Ambrose but I guess it was a good way for him to go out.

Tander was quick again, he became quite the force towards the end. Can't wait till next season.
 
Congrats to Ingall. Lowndes certainly was trying all he could, though.... good stuff. :)

In the second race, if I was Steve Ellery, I probably would've "accidentally" out-braked myself and walloped the rear end of Ingall... Stone Brothers would've had something to say, though (dirty tactics)...
 
I'm thinking that 2005 will be one of those seasons people will look back on and think "Who did win in 2005? I can't remember" People will remember Jason Richards rolling at Queensland Raceway, HRT winning Bathurst, the Ambrose and Skaife rivalry, Murphy and Ambrose colliding at Bathurst, Brad Jones rolling twice in consecutive rounds, Dumbrell and Baird colliding at Pukekohe or the dark finish at the same round. A champion is remembered for domination, fightbacks or nailbiting finishes. Ingall had none of those. He won one round all year. Hardly the stuff of a champion. People will of course say that he played the championship game perfectly and I would agree, so the blame has to go to AVE$CO for a ridiculous points system. People want to see a worthy champion who has fought hard for race wins, not a champion who has motored around collecting points all year.

I won't be surprised if Triple 8 gets a nice little fine for Campbell Little's comments to Lowndes when he was given the drive through penalty. Something to the effect of "You'll have to do the drive through mate, they've rigged the championship the way they want it" One of the things that has remained consistent is the officials saying you can't criticize the system.
 
Congrats to Ingall. A good man taking a well deserved championship.

Good ridance Ambrose. No doubt he is one of, if not the fastest driver... but he's still an arrogant pig who has always spoken more like a spoilt child than an ambassador for the sport.

Now to see what happens in preparation for next years championship. Reverse grid racing? WTF?
 
Peter Floyd finished sixth at PI which was enough to win the championship but not before some problems on Saturday involving his team-mate Trevor Sheumack. The two HSVs qualified first and second. Floyd got away better at the start but coming into turn two Sheumack had no brakes and hit Floyd. The NRMA smash repairs crew had Floyds car ready for Sunday.
http://www.performanceracing.net.au/

 
Sounds like a good team name. My name is Jack, and middle name is Daniel. :sly:
 
Larry's sons name is Jack. Now they can put a "Jack Lives Here" sign in front of the house.
 
Just a information. Max Wilson will probably drive for Brazilian V8 Stock Car team Nasr-Castroneves next year. He's been driving in V8 Supercars for quite some time, right?
 
About five years I think. He was supposed to drive for Tony Longhurst this year but Tony didn't get the franchise as he was hoping.
 
Not that you guys care, since I know of Ambrose's reputation, but it's official - Ambrose has signed with a NASCAR team to drive in the Craftsman Truck Series. I know he's not V8 Supercar news anymore, but I thought some of you might like to know... (I didn't see it mentioned earlier in the thread, so I figured I'd post it)
The story, from Wood Brothers Racing, his new team.

I wish I could see more of the V8 Supercars... I've seen a handful of races, and every one came down to the last lap or two, and featured some of the closest circuit racing I've ever seen. I'm thinking of purchasing this past season's review DVD, if I can find a good price for shipping.
 
I hope he does alright, only because I don't want him back here. You can keep him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back