Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,265 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ambrose has said he has no interest in coming back to the V8's even if things don't work out in the US. Personally, I can't stand the bugger and I hope he goes really badly.
 
I remember him saying that he didn't have a back up plan for V8's if NASCAR didn't work out. He doesn't have an agreement to go back to SBR if things don't work out and will have to search for a drive. I think if the USA doesn't work out he would probably try to get back into V8's despite what has happened and what has been said this year.
 
Is there any news on if Ellery has a drive next season yet?

I'm not impressed by the reverse grid proposals, it'll just mean more carnage and less racing really.

I haven't read anything about the control chassis for '07 so I can't really form an opinion yet.
 
I haven't heard anything about Ellery for a while. The last I heard was he was going to set up another team with his dad but that seems unlikely as all the franchises seem to be accounted for.
Andrew Jones has been confirmed for Tasman Motorsports.
 
I read in Motorsport News today that Steven Ellery Racing is selling it's Falcons that were used in the development series and Ellery's dad said it was time to "move on".
 
I'd heard about Ellery but hadn't seen it confirmed.

CAMS has bought back only 1 licence, so there will be 33(?) cars this year. Only the top 30 from last year qualify for every round.

McConville has finally signed with Super Cheap, but everybody already knew he would.

As far as I can tell there are only 2 seats left for drivers - Briteck and Cruickshank racing. I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to the seats lately - I was kept busy planning and attending Summernats.
 
Phillip Scifleet is in a PCR car.
This is how it looks so far...

#1 - SBR - Russell Ingall
#2 - HRT - Mark Skaife
#3 - Tasman - Jason Richards
#4 - SBR - James Courtney
#5 - FPR - Mark Winterbottom
#6 - FPR - Jason Bright
#7 - Perkins/Romano - Steven Richards
#8 - WPS - Craig Baird
#10 - LMS - Jason Bargwanna
#11 - Perkins - Paul Dumbrell
#12 - BJR - John Bowe
#15 - HSVDT - Rick Kelly
#16 - HSVDT - Garth Tander
#17 - DJR - Steven Johnson
#18 - DJR - Will Davison
#20 - LMS - TBA
#21 - BJR - Brad Jones
#021 - TKR - Paul Radisich
#22 - HRT - Todd Kelly
#23 - Tasman - Andrew Jones
#24 - RNR - Steve Owen ?
#25 - Britek - TBA
#26 - Britek - TBA
#33 - GRM - TBA
#34 - GRM - Dean Canto
#39 - PMM - Fabian Coulthard/Alan Gurr
#48 - Team Australia - David Besnard
#50 - PWR - Cameron McConville
#51 - PWR - Greg Murphy
#65 - PCR - Phil SciFleet
#67 - PMM - Paul Morris
#88 - 888 - Jamie Whincup
#888 - 888 - Craig Lowndes
 
So Seton still doesn't have a drive? That's really sad. I'm a Holden fan but you have to love Seton, he's such a nice guy and I just don't think he's ready to go out.
 
The Bathurst 1000 aired in the USA yesterday, and after that pileup caused by Ambrose, i think that Mt Panorama should add a NASCAR style fance up at the cutting, as Ambrose's car almost lept over the wall, and that wouldn't have been good.
 
BMW318_DRIFTER
So Seton still doesn't have a drive? That's really sad. I'm a Holden fan but you have to love Seton, he's such a nice guy and I just don't think he's ready to go out.
Yeah, I don't think hes ready to go yet. Is it possible that he could move into the development series?
 
I thought that could have been a good move for Ellery, he could go down, have a good shot at the championship and probably get picked up by a V8 team again when they see that he can race given a competetive car. He did quite well in the 888 racing car this year, he doesn't always get a mention but he's usually hovering in the top 10.

I'm guessing there'd be rules against the big guys dropping into the HPDC series though.
 
Radicool02
Yeah, I don't think hes ready to go yet. Is it possible that he could move into the development series?
Seton finished 15th in the championship. As I understand the rules, the top 15 in the V8SC series are not eligible for entry in to the development series.
 
Seton may have an agreement with SBR to be an endurance driver if he doesn't get a regular drive. Britek or LMS looks to be his best chances though. If he goes to Britek he is back to an FPR chassis and engine. Would he drive a Commodore? The last seat at GRM hasn't been announced.
Motorsport News has an interview with Skaife about the 2005 season. In it he says how dissapointed he was to lose Courtney to SBR and that he wanted Courtney as his successor.
As for FireEmblem62's suggestion for a saftey fence, I can remember two incidents where a car has gone over the fence. I can't remember where it was but it was '68 or '69 and it was a Monaro. The footage didn't show the actual incident but it did show the car airborn going down the hill backwards. The car was stopped by a tree. The driver was not injured. Most of you have probably seen the footage on a highlights video or something. Mike Burgmann crashed into the bridge at the bottom of Conrod in '86. His VK got light over the hill, left the track and crashed over the fence and hit the bridge. He died at the scene. The chase was built as a result of this incident. Bill Brown had a big accident in a Falcon at McPhillamy in '71 when his car rolled along the fence, just missing a scrambling photographer. The Pye Audio Falcon got loose at the esses in '84 and hit the concrete fence very hard front on. It took an enormous chunk out of the fence and the car was pointing to the sky at about 45 degrees. The car however, landed back on it's wheels on the track. In '87 at the very same place as the Murphy/Ambrose incident the Perkins car and the #18 DJR Shell Sierra came together in the opening laps. Both cars got about halfway up the fence on this occasion. A fence might be a good idea at some points on the track and may cut down the kangaroo invasions.
 
crash_016.jpg

Would that be the Falcon you are talking about?

Oh yeah, I also think the V8's should makea stop in the USA. At one of our good road courses, like Indy, or Watkins Glen, Infineon would probably be the most logical choise though. Or run them on an Oval! Me and a couple of my buddies that play ToCA 2 online like to run the V8's at Pikes Peak, average finish is usually about .5 seconds.
 
That's the one. The John English/Paul Gulson Pye Audio XD Falcon. He probably thought he was going over but it didn't look like he was going over for a second.
Another one I just thought of, Moffat raced with Brock at the Holden Dealer Team in 1986. Moffat got the right rear of the Commodore over the kerb at Skyline in the Friday qualifying. The car turned left and went straight into the wall. The front of the car slid along the wall and then fell back onto the track but Moffat said he thought the car would go over the wall on that occassion.
Some deprived NASCAR fans here have suggested that the V8's should race at the Calder Park oval but they said an oval would be too bumpy for a V8 Supercar. The V8 Supercars would only go to the USA, or anywhere for that matter if it was part of the championship. They think they are too big for exhibition races. They were even uncertain about re-signing with the Melbourne F1GP organisers about their non-championship race there.
 
A lot of us fans would love to see the V8's go to the USA to show them all how it's done ;) but the ruling body has decided that Asia and the Middle East are are main areas of interest (exports etc..) I understand that 2 organisers from the US have approached the V8 body in the last 4 years with proposals to hold a regular race over there (don't know which tracks) but both were told that there are no plans on entering that market at any time.
 
Damn. If t hey decide to come, i hope its in at least 2010, that way i can fly to whereever they are *or drive, depending on how close, if by drive, then i only gota wait till 2008* I think American Fans would love to see them, And, not all ovals are bumpy, Chicagoland comes to mind for a very smooth oval.

PS: I have made it one of my goals in life, to attend the Bathurst 1000, at least 5 times. V8 Supercars are my passion, I love how they sound, look, the agressivness of the series, etc.

PPS-Somebody, you might wanna check my gallery, I see your a DJR fan, I have some photos of the Ford Falcon from GT4 (Even though its an FPR(?) car, it's stilla ford, I myself, am i Holden fan *Go Perkins Racing & Steven Richards*
 
Has anyone noticed that the poll for this thread is dead even?

I don't see the V8's going to America anytime soon. It wouldn't be my first choice of places for them to go but it would still be interesting.
 
Oi, shut up you USA V8 Nazi, haha.
 
V8 is cool
 
FireEmblem62
Oi, shut up you USA V8 Nazi, haha.

Better believe it Mattypants. :sly: :dopey:



Appie: Thanks for that valuable contribution. Anything in particular you like about them or know about them?
 
Rob Benson (engine builder) has left FPR to go back to NASCAR. He is taking a job as the head of research and development for Dale Earnhardt Incorporated.
FPR and Britek are being grouped again this season meaning that Britek don't get any test days while HRT and HSV, who are on the same premises and share data are not grouped.
Could these two situations be the catalyst that sees Jason Bright move to Britek earlier than expected?
 
I think it would make sense for him to move there. FPR seem to be going downhill and his team needs a bit of work. I don't really see any better time to do it.
 
Marcos Ambrose update: Marcos' first Craftsman Truck race of the year will be round 4 at Martinsville on the first of April. Being a rookie he has not received approval to race or even test at the faster tracks, including Daytona.
 
"while plans to acquire a third BA chassis for a second main game entry are dependent on the team securing the necessary funding to field a competitive entry."

In other words, if a driver can bring us lots of sponsorship dollars and not ask for too much pay...
 
So if they don't find that driver that's a level 2 licence available for sale or lease. Would CAMS buy it back to get the field down to 32?
Marcus Marshall is now in the PCR car instead of Scifleet.

#1 - SBR - Russell Ingall
#2 - HRT - Mark Skaife
#3 - Tasman - Jason Richards
#4 - SBR - James Courtney
#5 - FPR - Mark Winterbottom
#6 - FPR - Jason Bright
#7 - Perkins/Romano - Steven Richards
#8 - WPS - Craig Baird
#10 - LMS - Jason Bargwanna
#11 - Perkins - Paul Dumbrell
#12 - BJR - John Bowe
#15 - HSVDT - Rick Kelly
#16 - HSVDT - Garth Tander
#17 - DJR - Steven Johnson
#18 - DJR - Will Davison
#20 - LMS - TBA
#21 - BJR - Brad Jones
#021 - TKR - Paul Radisich
#22 - HRT - Todd Kelly
#23 - Tasman - Andrew Jones
#24 - RNR - Steve Owen ?
#25 - Britek - Warren Luff
#26 - Britek - TBA
#33 - GRM - TBA
#34 - GRM - Dean Canto
#39 - PMM - Fabian Coulthard/Alan Gurr
#48 - Team Australia - David Besnard
#50 - PWR - Cameron McConville
#51 - PWR - Greg Murphy
#65 - PCR - Marcus Marshall
#67 - PMM - Paul Morris
#88 - 888 - Jamie Whincup
#888 - 888 - Craig Lowndes

So there are three seats left, one of Larkham's cars, one of Garry Roger's cars and the Britek car. Max Wilson has been linked to the Larkham drive. Do we know if Wilson is going to the Brazilian V8 Stock Cars? There is nothing new about him in the BV8SC thread. Scifleet or Lee Holdsworth to GRM perhaps? They shared a car for GRM at Bathurst last year.
 
I can't belive TPR dropped the Castrol livery, does anyone have any photo's of the new one?
 
They dropped the livery because their contract with Castrol ran up, as far as I'm awear
 
Yeah, Castrol didn't want another contract I believe. It's the end of an era and it leaves TPR in a little bit of trouble but I think they'll get through it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back