Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,272 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allan Simonson has been signed up as a Triple 8 endurance driver.
It looks as though Jason Bargwanna and Max Wilson will be driving for WPS/Orrcon and Baird and Besnard will be driving in the Carrera Cup.
 
I'd would be delighted to see a Ford win at Bathurst this season.
 
Most Ford fans would too, but it's not gonna happen! :dopey:
 
There's a V8 Supercars day tomorrow going with the Brisbane Motorshow but I can't make it :( It's meant to have all cars and drivers too. Unless I can con a friend into driving me AND work out a good excuse to tell Coles.
 
Well, its almost time for the first V8 Supercar round. I can't wait!
I have 4 day gold tickets, for the pit entry grandstand, thankyou dad! It'll be brilliant. I'm also going with my dads friend, who happens to be quite the Ford supporter. He owns a FPV GT, so I'll make sure to make jokes about Ford and FPV GTs. :dopey:
 
I bought a 1:18 scale model of Glenn Seton's and Craig Lowndes' FPR CATERPILLAR Falcon from Bathurst in 2004....... I'm a freaking Holden fan! I mean Go Murph! And yes Radicool. I do envy you right now. Have you unpacked the dishwasher yet??? :p
 
I bought a 1:18 scale model of Glenn Seton's and Craig Lowndes' FPR CATERPILLAR Falcon from Bathurst in 2004
I have that one too.

I have already mentioned that Allan Simonsen is driving for 888 at Sandown and Adelaide, joining him is Irishman Richard Lyons, winner of the 2004 Formula Nippon and Japanese GT Championships.

After a successful first race in the Aston Martin at the recent Sebring 12 hour race, fourth overall and second in class, Jason Bright is not sure if he will be driving the Prodrive run car at Le Mans on June 14 and 15. The reason for this is that the official test day for Le Mans in on the fourth of June, the same day as the Winton V8 Supercar round. Sebastian Loeb had a similar dilema last year but he was able to charter a helicopter from the Rally of Turkey to Le Mans to take part in the test day.

Garth Tander and five time Olympic gold medal winner Sir Steve Redgrave won the Pro Celebrity Challenge at the Bahrain Grand Prix. It was a 20 lap race with driver changes between a pro driver and a celebrity. They weren't driving the usual BMW hatches or Vectras you would usually see at a celebrity race, they were driving 400hp Chevrolet Lumina SS, also known as left hand drive HSV Clubsport R. The pro driver line up included Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert, Christian Danner, Narain Karthikeyen, Bruno Senna, Todd Kelly and Garth Tander. The celebrity line up included runner Michael Johnson, Rick Parfitt from Status Quo, Pink Floyd drummer/car collector Nick Mason, motoring journalist Emma Parker-Bowles and Jay Kay from Jamiroquai who is a huge fan of Holden V8's, Bathurst and the V8 Supercars. According to Auto Action he had a thrash around outback Queensland in a Monaro with Steve Irwin last year and was impressed with Tanders and Kellys pace at Bahrain saying "The Aussie boys obviously knew what they were doing. Bathurst drivers, you've got no chance against those guys".

The HSVDT and HRT have been grouped this year as Tom Walkinshaw will be running both teams. This means that they will have to share test days. They are in the same situation as FPR and Britek although the agreement between these two is that FPR get all the test days while HRT and HSVDT have agreed to take one car each to their test days.

V8SA is considering introducing timed test days next year and limiting testing to two tracks, Winton and Queensland Raceway.

There have been a couple of changes since I posted the last driver/team line up, basically just driver confirmations and number changes.

#1 - Caltex/Bosch/Dlink/Ford (SBR) - Russell Ingall BF
#2 - HSV/Mobil/Dodo/Holden (HRT) - Mark Skaife VZ
#3 - Tasman/Holden (Tasman) - Jason Richards VZ
#4 - Jeld-Wen/Stegbar/Corinthian/Caltex/Bosch/Dlink/Ford (SBR) - James Courtney BF
#5 - Ford Credit/Fujitsu/Castrol/FPV/Ford (FPR) - Mark Winterbottom BF
#6 - Caterpillar/Fujitsu/Castrol/FPV/Ford (FPR) - Jason Bright BF
#7 - Jack Daniels/Mack Trucks/Holden (Perkins/Romano) - Steven Richards VZ
#8 - WOW Sight & Sound/Orrcon/WPS (WPS) - Max Wilson BF
#10 - Orrcon/WPS (Team Australia) - Jason Bargwanna BF
#11 - Jack Daniels/Mack Trucks/Holden (Perkins) - Paul Dumbrell VZ
#12 - BOC Gases/Enzed/Ford (BJR) - John Bowe BF
#14 - BOC Gases/Enzed/Ford (BJR) - Brad Jones BF
#15 - Toll/HSV Dealers/Pirtek/Holden (HSVDT) - Rick Kelly VZ
#16 - Toll/HSV Dealers/Pirtek/Holden (HSVDT) - Garth Tander VZ
#17 - First Rock Home Loans/Cabcharge/Flintstones/Ford (DJR) - Steven Johnson BF
#18 - V8Telecom/Cabcharge/Wacky Races/Ford (DJR) - Will Davison BF
#021 - 3M/Makita/TKR/Holden (TKR) - Paul Radisich VZ
#22 - HSV/Mobil/Dodo/Holden (HRT) - Todd Kelly VZ
#23 - Tasman/Holden (Tasman) - Andrew Jones VZ
#25 - Fujitsu/Ford (Britek) - Warren Luff BA
#26 - Fujitsu/Ford (Britek) - Jose Fernandez BA
#33 - Valvoline/Holden (GRM) - Lee Holdsworth VZ
#34 - Valvoline/Holden (GRM) - Dean Canto VZ
#39 - Konica Minolta/HPDC/Sirromet (PMM) - Fabian Coulthard/Alan Gurr VZ
#50 - SuperCheap/No Limit/Castrol/Holden (PWR) - Cameron McConville VZ
#51 - SuperCheap/No Limit/Castrol/Holden (PWR) - Greg Murphy VZ
#54 - Autobarn/ADI (RNR) - Steve Owen VZ
#65 - Glenfords (PCR) - Marcus Marshall BF
#67 - Sirromet/BWS/HPDC/Holden (PMM) - Paul Morris VZ
#88 - Betta/LG/Caltex/Dominos/Ford (888) - Jamie Whincup BF
#888 - Betta/LG/Caltex/Dominos/Ford (888) - Craig Lowndes BF
 
Can't wait for the season to start but alas, I'm working again. I'll have to tape it and threaten anyone that even tries to tell me the results.
 
I just finished my First 2006 Clipsal 500 day. The actual V8 Supercar Championship wasn't out today, but early tomorrow I'll be able to see them for the first time, depends on how long I'm at the doctors.

The Pit Entry grandstand seats are brilliant. Lots of action at the final corner, over taking, spins, very close calls. Theres also a big screen right infront of our seats, which is quite convinent.
Oh, I did see the Development Series today. The Betta Electrical car had a close call with the wall at turn 8.
 
Schrodes, The FPR Falcon from Classic Carlectables??? It was really the only one I could afford at the time. That and I couldn't find a 2005 Supercheap Autos Holden Commodore, Specifically Greg Murphy's #51

I havn't even seen this years liveries. I must, I must, I must!!!!
 
First Practice results.


1 22 Holden Racing Team Todd Kelly 13 1:23.0503 10
2 2 Holden Racing Team Mark Skaife 12 1:23.1242 0:00.0739 7
3 67 Team Sirromet Wines Paul Morris 16 1:23.3136 0:00.2633 6
4 888 Team Betta Electrical Craig Lowndes 20 1:23.3918 0:00.3415 12
5 88 Team Betta Electrical Jamie Whincup 16 1:23.4971 0:00.4468 13
6 7 Jack Daniel's Racing Steven Richards 16 1:23.5213 0:00.4710 11
7 16 Toll HSV Dealer Team Garth Tander 17 1:23.5559 0:00.5056 4
8 3 Tasman Motorsport Jason Richards 16 1:23.5584 0:00.5081 16
9 021 Team Kiwi Racing Paul Radisich 14 1:23.5863 0:00.5360 10
10 11 Jack Daniel's Racing Paul Dumbrell 18 1:23.7633 0:00.7130 6
11 6 Ford Performance Racing Jason Bright 17 1:23.7650 0:00.7147 6
12 1 Caltex Racing Russell Ingall 16 1:23.8776 0:00.8273 10
13 8 WPS Racing Max Wilson 17 1:23.8816 0:00.8313 11
14 17 First Rock Mortgage Centre Steven Johnson 12 1:23.9077 0:00.8574 4
15 51 Super Cheap Auto Racing Greg Murphy 16 1:23.9873 0:00.9370 7
16 15 Toll HSV Dealer Team Rick Kelly 14 1:24.0276 0:00.9773 11
17 34 Repco Valvoline Cummins Team Dean Canto 17 1:24.0527 0:01.0024 17
18 50 Super Cheap Auto Racing Cameron McConville 15 1:24.1290 0:01.0787 9
19 12 Team BOC John Bowe 18 1:24.1371 0:01.0868 15
20 55 Autobarn Racing Steve Owen 19 1:24.4145 0:01.3642 11
21 23 Tasman Motorsport Andrew Jones 17 1:24.4492 0:01.3989 15
22 18 V8 Telecom Will Davison 20 1:24.4557 0:01.4054 12
23 4 Jeld-Wen Motorsport James Courtney 17 1:24.4766 0:01.4263 12
24 5 Ford Performance Racing Mark Winterbottom 15 1:24.5089 0:01.4586 4
25 14 Team BOC Brad Jones 17 1:24.5664 0:01.5161 7
26 10 WPS Racing Jason Bargwanna 14 1:24.7322 0:01.6819 14
27 25 Fujitsu Racing Warren Luff 17 1:24.9364 0:01.8861 4
28 39 Team Sirromet Wines Alan Gurr 18 1:25.4339 0:02.3836 15
29 26 Fujitsu Racing Jose Fernandez 21 1:25.6836 0:02.6333 11
30 33 Repco Valvoline Cummins Team Lee Holdsworth 20 1:25.7611 0:02.7108 6
31 20 Glenfords Racing Marcus Marshall 17 1:26.7634 0:03.7131 7
 
Schrodes, The FPR Falcon from Classic Carlectables??? It was really the only one I could afford at the time. That and I couldn't find a 2005 Supercheap Autos Holden Commodore, Specifically Greg Murphy's #51
Yes the Classic Carlectables one. Had a bit of a mix up though. I have the 2004 Championship car and the 2003 Bathurst car. The air intake comes off the Falcons engine if you haven't already discovered it. I also have the Murphy/Kelly 2003 2min6sec Bathurst car. I just checked the Classic Carlectables website and it says the Murphy SCA car was released in November last year. Ask your model shop if they have or if they can get more.

Interesting to see Morris and a WPS car that far up the order FireEmblem.

Go to v8supercar.com.au and in the bottom right corner is a link for live timing, very nice. We have Bigpond broadband so I'm going to try and get the Bigpond coverage working tomorrow.
 
Todays qualifying and Top 10 shootout was very exciting, especially the shootout.
HRT front row. Skaife got pole and best lap, brilliant. I can't wait for the next few days of racing.

Oh and FireEmblem, I got Steven Richards autograph when I went into the V8 Supercar pit paddock, jealous?:sly:
 
Yeah I noticed that, but it doesn't like to clip back onto the car. The detailing is good though. I've found areas that would need more attention, but that's the modeler in me, coming out. The model shop guy said that they really only get one shot at those models and he sold them all at the car show, I got them from. There was another shop there though, so I'll have to check them out.

Murph will finish higher. He better :( I have faith

Richards!? That's nothing. I got Murph's autograph :sly:
 
Yeah, I'm hoping Murph finishes higher than where he qualified. But if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll make up for it in the next round.

I'd also like to see where Courtney will finish. He didn't qualify too bad, but I'm sure he wasn't pushing too hard. Probably just getting "warmed up" for the season?
 
Ofcourse he'll do better in the next round. It's Pukekohe.
 
Radicool02
Todays qualifying and Top 10 shootout was very exciting, especially the shootout.
HRT front row. Skaife got pole and best lap, brilliant. I can't wait for the next few days of racing.

Oh and FireEmblem, I got Steven Richards autograph when I went into the V8 Supercar pit paddock, jealous?:sly:
I. Hate. You. :grumpy:

@ Drift4Eva, Richo is my favourite driver.
 
Exciting first race and it seems as though there is a lot more drivers in the hunt this year than first expected. Whincup did very well to get 3rd, Dumbrell was doing well in 5th before his mistake and McConville finally has a car under him the give him a chance at showing his skills. Big crash from Skaife and Courtney, I hope they can get back out there for todays race.....especially Skaife.

Lowndes is as fast as expected, very impressive.
 
Bad luck for Courtney today. I was hoping he would get a good result after a shocker yesterday. It was a big hit and SBR and PWR will have a big job this week to get the cars to Melbourne for the GP. I could see Murphy's crash coming from a mile off. We've seen year after year cars get in big trouble there if they are a bit off line and Murph should have known better, especially with Dumbell beside him.
Who saw the official rip the FALCON POWER poster out of Whincup's hands while he was holding it up after race two. Pretty disgraceful behavoir. Can't a driver celebrate? These posters have been around since the mid 90's. Apparently it was V8SA's media manager. Holden must have got in their ear about them not getting enough exposure.
The model shop guy said that they really only get one shot at those models and he sold them all at the car show, I got them from. There was another shop there though, so I'll have to check them out.
Keep your eye out if you can't find one now. What some shops do is sell some of their stock when they get them and store some away to sell at a higher price when availability is low after other shops sell out. Also, don't just look at model shops. Some chemists, cigarette shops, bar supplies shops and gift shops sell model cars.

EDIT: There is a tipping competition on www.v8supercar.com.au starting from Round 2. I always have a go at the AFL tipping competition so I'll se how I go at V8 tipping.
 
Schrodes
Who saw the official rip the FALCON POWER poster out of Whincup's hands while he was holding it up after race two. Pretty disgraceful behavoir. Can't a driver celebrate? These posters have been around since the mid 90's. Apparently it was V8SA's media manager. Holden must have got in their ear about them not getting enough exposure.
I was shocked at that. Holden and Ford have been using them for years now, so why the sudden change? If you look at the footage, the official actually screws the poster up - why is he allowed to damage teams/sponsors property?

Bad luck to Skaife - wrong place at the wrong time with Murphy crashing in front of him.
 
Courtney will be using Ambrose's old chassis at Albert Park and Murphy won't be driving. Jack Perkins will be driving his development series car but will be using Murphy's number 51 so SCAR don't get fined for not using the licence for that car. The transporters were supposed to be at Albert Park on Tuesday, thats not much time even for the Victorian teams.
 
If only that Jack Daniels Holden was a Monaro :drool:, I would have gone to the race just to see it, but anything besides Commodore and Falcon will never happen. Two make/model race what a joke :rolleyes:
 
Honestly, I've stopped watching them. Glenn Seton is no longer driving full-time (I'll probably only watch Sandown and Bathurst), the cars are getting harder to tell apart (orange, black, red, orange, black red,...), and I can't stand Leigh Diffey's commentary (it s#!ts me to tears). I'm now watching the F1's and the MotoGP instead.
 
I can't stand Diffey either (oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh CONTACT)
Perhaps the teams should be made to submit their colour scheme to TEGA for approval like the do with their racing numbers.
 
Nice find. I really hope Skaifey can win this years championship. It'd be very tough though. This year ha been very compeditive. The reverse grids will also make winning the championship a great challange.
 
Live thread!

This weekend is going to be great I think. Barbagello always puts on a show and if the first race is anything to go by, it's going to be close.

Skaifey got 1st, Stephen Richards 2nd and Craig Lowndes got 3rd for those of you who don't know, but race 2 is a reverse grid race so it'll be interesting to see who can comb through the pack. Once again, I have to work so I have to tape it again, then I come home at 6, watch that, then somehow have to do my whole maths assignment that's due tomorrow before the F1 starts. Yeehah.
 
I'm excited. I can't wait to see how the faster guys do from the back. I'm really wondering how Skaife will do with Richards and Lowndes infront of him this time 'round.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back