Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great drive from JC, looked like he didn't have the tyres to stay in front of Shane but he just kept it straight and honest. Awesome to watch! Unfortunately a bit marred by Whincup punting Mostert. Moffat's impact was huge.

Great day for HRT

Oh it's never Whingecup's fault...:rolleyes:

He is trying to blame it on Mostert and some oil...

Whincup was sort of correct in amongst the arrogance though, he can't disappear.

I would say its Mosterts fault slightly, not much room left for Whincup there.
I'd have to disagree there. Mostert was well up into the bend and had the line so Whincup should have let up on that battle.

Reactions: hsv
Really wished SVG had nabbed it, but it was a decent result... barring McLaughlin. :irked:

And Whincup really just had to stick his car somewhere it wouldn't fit. I don't whether it's clumsy, lazy, or just downright incompetent (a rather Plato-esque move). It was a nasty, nasty hit too.

I'd have to disagree there. Mostert was well up into the bend and had the line so Whincup should have let up on that battle.
Was it Percat on lap 1 who got caught in an almost identical situation and straight-lined the corner to avoid an accident?

If you're only overlapping the rear bumper, and the car ahead has to turn to make the corner, there is no excuse in just sticking to your normal line.

Hair-brained move from Whincup. Passing there is always risky, and you just can't come from behind that close to the corner. A collision was both entirely predictable and avoidable. I'd expect a V8 Ute driver to know that the smartest move is to shadow another driver through there, then dive down the inside at the final corner. So quite what a six-time champion is thinking is beyond me.

The damn thing is that a twenty-five or fifty-point penalty is a slap on the wrist compared to the hit Moffat and Mostert took. So even if Whincup gets punished, he'll still come out ahead.

Ambrose says we'll move on to the test at the grand prix... :lol: he'll have to watch some video

And the Kelly Brothers are 8th & 10th in the points. Go figure.

Last edited:
I've seen so many people placing the blame solely on Mostert, and whilst he did cut across, that's not his fault - Whincup had no reason to try such a half-hearted attempt up the inside. What could Mostert do, drive wide onto the grass and let Whincup fling it up the inside, only for him to get swamped on exit?

It may have been understandable if at least one of them got a penalty, but the inconsistency makes it so much worse.

I think the blame lies mostly on Whincup. It's ridiculous, yet not even a little bit surprising there has been no reprimand for RBR. It's true Whincup couldn't really go anywhere but only his arrogance put his car in that spot in the first place.

Not that we have seen footage of what happened at turn 9, it seems the Mostert hit Whincup wide there and then Whincup was simply holding his position on the inside of turn 10. Mostert had no mirror and was unaware that he was there

Here's my full rant from Facebook.

I've seen so many people placing the blame solely on Mostert, and whilst he did cut across, that's not his fault - Whincup had no reason to try such a half-hearted attempt up the inside. What could Mostert do, drive wide onto the grass and let Whincup fling it up the inside, only for him to get swamped on exit? You turn in because there's a corner, and you don't expect someone to jam their nose where it won't fit.

It may have been understandable if at least one of them got a penalty, but the inconsistency makes it so much worse. Scotty got a penalty OK'd in R2, but for some reason, it was only then deemed illegal - once the officials had supervised it, and of course, after the 888 sore losers squad had gone off to have a word about it. The next day, Whincup spears a car into the wall on the last lap, taking another with him. Considering every time a car is tagged around, no matter how slight or accidental, a penalty is applied, that makes no sense - and it only points towards favoritism on the 888 camp from the stewards. I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's corrupt by now.

Overall, even if you still believe Mostert shouldn't have attempted to make the corner, which he was ahead for and had the correct line, you can't deny that Jamie was going for nothing more than a last-gasp blind luck dive. There is no way it could've worked for him, in any situation, unless he had at least a complete overlap on Chaz.

Most importantly, however, not one fan, no matter their allegiance, can deny that the penalty inconsistencies are utterly disgraceful. It's worse than IMSA on a dozy day. The rules as to what is and isn't acceptable are pretty much blank, so as we saw with SVG on JC, unless you play it completely safe, it's penalty roulette. You might get lucky, or you might get hit with a stop/go.

@hsv... King of the rants! ;)

In all seriousness, that is incredibly well said and sums up everyone's (who isn't T8 or a T8 fan) frustration with how CAMS & V8SC goes about in handing out penalties. :)👍

No penalty for Whincup. CAMS must be receiving a cheque in the mail from Roland Dane given the double standards on display this weekend.
I agree. It's completely disgusting. If their positions were reversed and Mostert had been the one to spin Whincup, Roland Dane would have broken the stewards' door down before the dust had settled, and he wouldn't have left until Mostert had been penalised the same number of points that Whincup lost by being spun.

I don't think it's corruption on the part of the stewards, but cowardice. They know that Dane will publicly undermine them if they don't rule the way he wants them to, and they're afraid of having their integrity called into question. So they look back to contact at Turn 9, and call it a "racing incident", completely disregarding the way Whincup had no reason to be where he was. Every time we have seen an attempted pass at that corner, it results in contact and usually sees someone in the wall, as was the case with Lowndes a few years ago. And that's not the racing line to take under normal circumstances, because it seriously compromises exit speed and leaves a driver vulnerable all the way down to the last corner.

If the teams have any backbone, they'll boycott the race in Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back