Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,560 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked him at SBR. He brought excitement to the grid. I bought his Scaletrix #9 SBR just before the news that he was quiting the sport. When he said he was coming back, that's when I lost respect for him. I'm not a fan, but he and Dane deserve each other. Lowndes does not fit at RBRA in my eyes. I wish he'd go to DJRTP. The "people's team". He's like Scott Pruett(not as old but fierce) in that regards. He and Ambrose would be a great pair.

Red Bull are going a field day with Cheeseburger sponsorship. I dont think he can fit in an Infiniti RB though.
 
It looks like Roland thinks that SVG is the only person that can take the fight to T8, and what better way to remove that threat than turn him to the "Dark" side, hopefully he doesn't turn into a Whincup clone.

But his run on Sunday did command respect, anyone else would of (after giving Courtney a tap going into turn 9) would of kept their boot in it and passed him, smart driving on his part to readdress the situation rather than run the risk of getting a penalty and ruining his race
 
When he said he was coming back, that's when I lost respect for him.

I can respect the guy these days for his driving ability and the way he behaves on track (readdressing the move on Courtney case and point) but I'll never ever like him because of the BS he pulled to get out of the SBR/Erebus deal.
 
Last edited:
I can respect the guy these days for his driving ability and the way he behaves on track (readdressing the move on Courtney case and point) but I'll never ever like him because of the BS he pulled to get out of the SBR/Erebus deal.

What annoyed me was he went to Holden, and what's wrong with not wanting to develop a car under a team which budget has clearly gone?
 
What annoyed me was he went to Holden, and what's wrong with not wanting to develop a car under a team which budget has clearly gone?
It wasn't that he left SBR that rubbed people the wrong way. It was the way that he did it that was taken so poorly - he spun a sob story about being exhausted and disillusioned with the series, and that he was retiring from competition. And then within three months, he has made a miraculous recovery and had signed with Tekno. It was obvious that he was lying to get out of his contract, and he had played everyone for fools to do it.

If he had just come out and said "when I signed, I signed to race a Ford with the Stones - but now that they're selling the team and switching to Mercedes, I am not confident in their ability to be competitive, and so I think that the best thing to do is move to another team", it probably would have kept some degree of respect. But he didn't, and so he is seen as a conniving and devious little so-and-so who lied his way out of a contract to avoid a penalty rather than manning up and be sporting about it.
 
That's all he had to say. 👍
 
It wasn't that he left SBR that rubbed people the wrong way. It was the way that he did it that was taken so poorly - he spun a sob story about being exhausted and disillusioned with the series, and that he was retiring from competition. And then within three months, he has made a miraculous recovery and had signed with Tekno. It was obvious that he was lying to get out of his contract, and he had played everyone for fools to do it.

If he had just come out and said "when I signed, I signed to race a Ford with the Stones - but now that they're selling the team and switching to Mercedes, I am not confident in their ability to be competitive, and so I think that the best thing to do is move to another team", it probably would have kept some degree of respect. But he didn't, and so he is seen as a conniving and devious little so-and-so who lied his way out of a contract to avoid a penalty rather than manning up and be sporting about it.

If he had said that then his contractual obligations would have been straight into a court house and he would have been stuck in court or in the Merc or without a drive until his contract expired, example of this is when Montoya signed with Ganassi instead of resigning with McLaren, This isn't the only sport where this happens and hopefully his RBT8 contract allows him to do his drifting and international racing,
 
Loving SVG to 888! He is a great driver and should make RedBull even more of a force. Hopefully there will be a 888 1-2-3 hey :D:D

I wonder though if that means it will be 3 RedBull cars or 2 with another sponsor
 
If he had said that then his contractual obligations would have been straight into a court house and he would have been stuck in court or in the Merc or without a drive until his contract expired
Well, that's just too bad for him. He could have manned up and kept his integrity and his reputation intact. As it stands, he chose the sneaky way out. And because he chose the sneaky way out, he has no cause for complaint when he becomes the most-hated driver on the grid. So when he stalled it at Bathurst, the cheer from the crowd was his well-earned reward.
 
Well, that's just too bad for him. He could have manned up and kept his integrity and his reputation intact. As it stands, he chose the sneaky way out. And because he chose the sneaky way out, he has no cause for complaint when he becomes the most-hated driver on the grid. So when he stalled it at Bathurst, the cheer from the crowd was his well-earned reward.
I think it's a shame that he isn't sponsored by the dog food brand anymore, since he is indeed a dog.

On the topic of Van Gisbergen and SBR, what happened to the court case?
 
I think it's a shame that he isn't sponsored by the dog food brand anymore, since he is indeed a dog.

On the topic of Van Gisbergen and SBR, what happened to the court case?

Was redundant, as he had "retired" it was a clause written into the contract that saw him out,

Well, that's just too bad for him. He could have manned up and kept his integrity and his reputation intact. As it stands, he chose the sneaky way out. And because he chose the sneaky way out, he has no cause for complaint when he becomes the most-hated driver on the grid. So when he stalled it at Bathurst, the cheer from the crowd was his well-earned reward.

Right....... So when a 21yo mans entire career is left at stake because of some minor detail, he should infact not be allowed to race? yet we the viewers miss out on decent racing?
 
That issue was pretty much Shane going tit for tat, with SBR not being clear on what brand they'd be racing and Shane faking a sick day. SBR weren't speaking on it, but Lee and Slade remained there. Loyalty.
No doubt it panned out for all 3 drivers since leaving Erebus(in proven machines). And he's got a solid future in his next racing team. Just the way of doing it irked me. Hey, he has to race in the series, not me. I'm not putting food on his table or living his life. That was bad business in my eyes.
 
I wonder though if that means it will be 3 RedBull cars or 2 with another sponsor

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. If they remain with two Red Bull sponsored cars, it will be interesting to see who sponsors the third entry. Out of their current sponsors, Autobarn maybe? In that situation too, be interesting to see whether or not Lowndes remains alongside Whincup or do they move him to the third car to make room for SVG?
 
Last edited:
So when a 21yo mans entire career is left at stake because of some minor detail, he should infact not be allowed to race? yet we the viewers miss out on decent racing?
Choices have consequences. He could suffer through a difficult season with Erebus and keep his integrity, or he could be devious in getting out of his contract for a better drive, but open himself up to ridicule. There is no set of circumstances where he can dishonourably get out of a contract and keep his integrity.

No contract is written to be iron-clad. There would have been exit clauses in SVG's contract. He could have bought himself out if he wanted to, or Tony Quinn could have done it for him. This sort of thing happens all the time, and there are usually no hard feelings over it. So why did SVG feel the need to feign exhaustion and disillusionment to stage a dishonest retirement? Of all the ways out of a contract, that's a pretty obtuse method.
 


Because i don't have two cents to add about this, i thought i would let these guys do it for me. Interesting take from fellow competitors


Know I'm a little late on this but it seems that the people arguing that Whincup was responsible for the incident seemed to shut up when former drivers explain basic racing rules. McLaughlin summed it up perfectly.
 
http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/08/nascar-link-for-latest-ambrose-sponsor/

ambrose-main-e1425738149438.png
 
Okay, that is a damn good looking livery. So, so much better than the Shell one he ran at Adelaide imo.
 
Safe to say, they'll win best presented team this year. RBRA has no chance. :D

This thing is going to look good at Albert Park. After going to the last 4 AGPs, I'm unfortunately going miss being at this one. 👎
 
Is there anyone here who has been to the Bathurst 1000 before and would be willing to answer some queries I have? I'm planning on going as there's a reasonable chance I'll be in Australia in October, and there's some questions I can't find answers for in Internetland. (Probably because I'm looking in the wrong place.)
 
Roo
Is there anyone here who has been to the Bathurst 1000 before and would be willing to answer some queries I have? I'm planning on going as there's a reasonable chance I'll be in Australia in October, and there's some questions I can't find answers for in Internetland. (Probably because I'm looking in the wrong place.)

Yeah, I camp at the top every year, shoot me a pm ;)
 
I actually loved the Shell livery, but that looks even better. Even better than last years Volvo's.
 
In other news, apparently Dale Earnhardt Jr had driven a V8 Supercar at one time. It appears from the video it was quite some time ago.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/blogs/inside-groove/dale-earnhardt-jr-q-and-a-las-vegas.html



Could have asked a Junior fan and they would have told you this :sly:. He also had Marcos teach him how to be a better road course driver along with others from his bouts in GT cars.


Gorgeous, this is a car I can just look at for hours. I'd put it as my screen saver but the W06 is just that bit more pretty.
 
Love that DJR car!! Looks so good in those colours. Didnt like the look of shell with the yellow but this looks great with the black.

Good thing Ford arent involved, they'd have a heart attack over that red!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back