Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,740 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.

There were Gr.A races at Eastern Creek this passed weekend i believe. I was going to go on Sunday but, I think I missed it. unless its next weekend.
 
Is that an N/A V6?

If so that would scream.
 
Is that an N/A V6?

If so that would scream.
It doesn't say otherwise so it may be NA. But I remember the 'White Paper' said that Turbo V6's and Turbo V4's would run against V8's so unless they were just examples, I'm afraid it's a Turbo. Maybe two.
 
Interesting to see what this prototype supercar will be. A whole new car? Or just one of the original COTF chassis's?
It doesn't really say in the article so I guess it will be an original COTF chasis. Unless the engine is being built alongside a new manufacturer, I guess it'll be a generic body shape with no branding.

Hopefully Inside Supercars can provide a better insight on it tonight.
 
Yeah watching it now. Crompton mentioning, CAMS safety has a say in the performance of the cars due to track layout and what can be achieved. Gearing and drag also determine the top speed as we all know anyway.
 
Yeah watching it now. Crompton mentioning, CAMS safety has a say in the performance of the cars due to track layout and what can be achieved. Gearing and drag also determine the top speed as we all know anyway.
He shut Phelps up, which I thought was hilarious. Having 3 highly intelligent people (Rust, Crompton, Skaife) and then Phelps who clearly has no idea can only lead to him being repetitively shut down. If he had a single clue about V8SC then it wouldn't be a problem.
 
Rusty did get cut off though. He tried to answer with "cost" the limiting factor of faster speeds down Conrod. Crompton stopped the madness. :lol:
 
Another thing about that 850hp engine. FPR's TCM Falcon made 700+hp from an NA engine. I'd love to see more power in V8s. It would be insane to see these cars perform on the same size rubber. Especially in the wet. :sly:
 
Another thing about that 850hp engine. FPR's TCM Falcon made 700+hp from an NA engine. I'd love to see more power in V8s. It would be insane to see these cars perform on the same size rubber. Especially in the wet. :sly:

power requires more fuel, more fuel requires more pitstops, we already have to many,
 
power requires more fuel, more fuel requires more pitstops, we already have to many,
Not exactly, with Turbos then can make more HP and use less fuel with a smaller engine.

Also they can increase the fuel tank size if they use more fuel anyway.
 
power requires more fuel, more fuel requires more pitstops, we already have to many,

As @mustafur said, that's not always the case. Better fuel electronics, turbos and so on can improve economy while increasing power or maintaining the 650 if they wanted. Though I don't get the point of 850 anyways...I mean yeah it sounds cool but the 650 was pretty cool. How about a happy medium of 725?
 
Not exactly, with Turbos then can make more HP and use less fuel with a smaller engine.

Also they can increase the fuel tank size if they use more fuel anyway.

Agreed, but then that requires research and development, specially that I don't know of any racing series that uses these high output bhp engines, the cost side is going to get ugly fast,

As @mustafur said, that's not always the case. Better fuel electronics, turbos and so on can improve economy while increasing power or maintaining the 650 if they wanted. Though I don't get the point of 850 anyways...I mean yeah it sounds cool but the 650 was pretty cool. How about a happy medium of 725?

Why a happy medium, the formula we have now needs a few minor tweaks and perfect, even though Datsun seem to be doing everything possible to avoid it,
 
And how's that?

Word from people within say that the car has more aero grip, and better power to weight per tonne then any car on the grid, had there been a Gis Bergen, Whincup or Winterbottom in those cars the results would have come a lot earlier specially in the circuits like Phillip island, it carries more speed across the top of the mountain and That I have seen for myself, they
just cant seem to get it over the top stable as they say their car is to slow on the straights so they have to take all the wing off,
 
I think Caruso is certainly capable of bringing out the best in the car, maybe Rick Kelly. Moffat being sort of average mid-pack driver, and Todd is actually doing better this year than I had expected. The cars are fast, and hopefully the speed they found at the last rounds will carry over to the next and beyond. Engine upgrades coming as well, so things could pick up. And to be honest I really don't see how other drivers can comment on how the car drives if they haven't even driven it themselves.
 
I think Caruso is certainly capable of bringing out the best in the car, maybe Rick Kelly. Moffat being sort of average mid-pack driver, and Todd is actually doing better this year than I had expected. The cars are fast, and hopefully the speed they found at the last rounds will carry over to the next and beyond. Engine upgrades coming as well, so things could pick up. And to be honest I really don't see how other drivers can comment on how the car drives if they haven't even driven it themselves.

The fella I know isn't a driver, he is a car builder/ engineer donating his efforts to a DVS team that is as well as most other DVS teams keeping close ears to the ground as they may well end up purchasing a chassis for DVS or going up to the main game depending on where that series is heading,

Nissan need reliability more then anything, their power steering pump fluid stinks when it burns,
 
My money is on Nick Percat - Tekno are effectively running a fourth Triple Eight entry, so I doubt Holden will want to give up on him.

After reading that. I'd have my money on Percat too getting that seat. Funny because I thought his deal with LDM was for two years? Obviously not.
UPDATE: Twin-Turbo V6. Will be run in a COTF demo chasis. As revealed by Inside Supercars.

Ah, thanks for that. I missed that bit last night. 👍
 
Why a happy medium, the formula we have now needs a few minor tweaks and perfect, even though Datsun seem to be doing everything possible to avoid it,

That's not what I'm saying, basically what I'm saying is if the powers to be at the top want to make such a steep change...why not be less inane on the power jump. I'm fine with the current formula and the minor tweeks some have said, but I'm not the one making the choices and those who are want a big change. The engine and body change is big enough without having a jump in 200BHP is all I'm saying.
 
That's not what I'm saying, basically what I'm saying is if the powers to be at the top want to make such a steep change...why not be less inane on the power jump. I'm fine with the current formula and the minor tweeks some have said, but I'm not the one making the choices and those who are want a big change. The engine and body change is big enough without having a jump in 200BHP is all I'm saying.

Agreed fully mate, my main concern is that the new regulations were designed to save money, and I don't believe they are, specially when we are seeing less cars on the grid every year
 
It's way too late. I believe the teams should have received the guidelines last December.
It might be late, but at the same time, the sooner the document is released, the more opportunity manufacturers have to lobby for changes. And I am pretty sure VESA will want to limit their influence because they will lobby to their advantage. With parity being such a huge issue, the manufacturer influence could easy skew the regulations and ruin the Gen-2 concept before it even begins. Remember the parity wars of the late 1990s? Holden were seriously able to influence the direction the sport took. Nobody (except Holden) wants that.
 
I'm probably going to get stabbed for saying this, but if V8SC is heading in high output V6 or 4L turbo engines, why not make it an AWD series as well?
 
I'm probably going to get stabbed for saying this, but if V8SC is heading in high output V6 or 4L turbo engines, why not make it an AWD series as well?
Cost, unless it's a spec AWD system.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back