Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,740 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the support races like in Super GT?
 
Having a Support race on the Suzuka 1000km weekend would be a good idea.
 
With Nissan already in V8s and Lexus eyeing entry to the series, a Japanese audience would be perfect. Im not sure about Malaysia and Thailand fans influence. Some Petronas sponsorship on the Erebus cars is certainly welcome. :D
 
With Nissan already in V8s and Lexus eyeing entry to the series, a Japanese audience would be perfect.
Perhaps, but they already have a presence in SuperGT. They may see the benefit of running in front of a home audience, but not if there is a threat of V8 Supercars upstaging SuperGT.
 
if V8s run at Suzuka or Fuji, theyd probably due about 12-15 laps like at Albert Park. Id imagine sub 1min45s lap times at Fuji. Suzuka lap times would be closer to a Mount Panorama lap. Shanghai had V8s lapping at 1min50s+ over 4.6kms. COTA was 27 laps on the short circuit. How many races would V8s have to do over the weekend?

It would take a lot to upstage SuperGT in such a short time. Maybe allowing teams that have bought COTF chassis to be included as wild cards, is a thought.
 
I don't know about Fuji, too open and not really suited for the V8's. Motegi is a better option I think.
 
I do like Motegi but, it's more of a stop and go track. Since Fuji is the home of Nismo Festival, that would be a nice event to piggyback. No doubt its a wide track, there are so many lines into each turn, it wouldnt be a follow the leader affair. At least, that's how I feel about it.

I just wonder if Warburton is banking that Australians on holiday in Thailand, would attend a V8 race.
 
I just wonder if Warburton is banking that Australians on holiday in Thailand, would attend a V8 race.
It's more likely that he's trying to capitalise on the renewed interest in motorsport in Thailand - the Chang International Circuit has already hosted SuperGT (it replaced Sepang as the series' international round last year) and World Superbike, and is going to host rounds of the World Touring Car Championship, TCR International and TCR Asia, and the GT Asia series.

Plus, the circuit doesn't look too bad for touring cars:

Buriram_circuit_map.svg
 
I had a watch of a flying lap. Not bad. A couple long straights, it seems wide enough and it flows pretty good. Another flat circuit though.
 
2 classic tracks we'll never get to see these cars race on. :indiff:

Sochi, I dunno. Are Ford selling Mustangs up there? If they are, we may have a shot. :sly:
 
The point is that flat does not guarantee boring racing - just as elevation does not equal excitement.
 
For sure. Clipsal was good. COTA could have been better on the full circuit.

Visually, I'd prefer Oulton Park or Donnington over Silverstone. Road Atlanta, Road America, Watkins Glen, Interlagos, BRNO, Mugello is a good one, just to see V8s on those type circuits. Sepang has different grades. Not as much as Suzuka and Fuji though. SMP has good undulation but, that was not a thrilling race.
 
I think the series is onto something when they limit the circuit length to ~3.5km (with some exceptions). The full Silverstone, COTA, Suzuka and Sepang layouts are just too long for the shorter sprint races; the cars tend to spread themselves out too quickly.
 
But why are we going abroad to do sprint racing, its fine locally, but if we are showcasing our brand overseas 250km should be the minimum race distance at full length circuits,
 
But why are we going abroad to do sprint racing, its fine locally, but if we are showcasing our brand overseas 250km should be the minimum race distance at full length circuits,

There were pit stops at COTA and passing and bumping for position. Pit stops are the key. If there is enough time to change tyres and refuel, it should be more exciting. Yas Marina was ok. it's just, Whincup ruins the evnt by winning.
 
it's just, Whincup ruins the evnt by winning.

:lol:

Feels like Winton was so long ago now and there's still like three weeks until Darwin? Who the hell comes up with the calender? :indiff:
 
But why are we going abroad to do sprint racing, its fine locally, but if we are showcasing our brand overseas 250km should be the minimum race distance at full length circuits,
250km is a sprint compared to what they run elsewhere.

The point is that some of these longer international circuits aren't great for the kind of racing that the series provides. Look at, for example, Mugello (I was watching MotoGP last night): it's great for bikes, but that 1.4km straight would just thin the pack out too much.
 
They run 3.17 gears for Bathurst. I don't know what they ran for Shanghai and Bahrain. I have a feeling the FG X and E63 would walk away from the field on those long straights. We'll see what happens at Darwin.
 
They run 3.17 gears for Bathurst. I don't know what they ran for Shanghai and Yas Marina. I have a feeling the FG X and E63 would walk away from the field on those long straights. We'll see what happens at Darwin.
Fixed

EDIT- I'm an idiot, now I know they have indeed raced at Bahrain.
 
Last edited:
250km is a sprint compared to what they run elsewhere.

The point is that some of these longer international circuits aren't great for the kind of racing that the series provides. Look at, for example, Mugello (I was watching MotoGP last night): it's great for bikes, but that 1.4km straight would just thin the pack out too much.

I meant the individual race should be 250km, and at least least 2 of those races in the weekend, not 250km for the entire event,
 
I have a feeling the FG X and E63 would walk away from the field on those long straights. We'll see what happens at Darwin.

Honestly with the way they've preformed so far this year. Would not surprise me at all to see PRA pull off another clean sweep at Darwin. They're going to be very tough to beat.
 
Last edited:
Fixed what?
They've raced in Bahrain as well as Yas Marina...
When did they race in Bahrain? It must've been around 2008-2012 when I barely watched V8SC.

EDIT- Yup, before I cared much about V8SC as a whole series asides from a few marque events. I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks, @GTracer38 for fixing my little slip up. :lol: 👍
 
2006-2010
Just edited it in. I honestly didn't know they raced at Bahrain. I only thought they raced at COTA, Yas Marina & Shanghai internationally in recent years.
 
Just edited it in. I honestly didn't know they raced at Bahrain. I only thought they raced at COTA, Yas Marina & Shanghai internationally in recent years.

There was also a street race in Wellington, 94' IIRC
 
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...asia-next-season/story-fnp0lxk4-1227376178970
(Look past the telegraph story and mind the quotes)

The V8 boss has been in negotiations with several Asian circuit stakeholders and it is understood at least one deal is close to being finalised and could be included in next year’s calendar in a major boost for the sport.

“And there is certainly a big opportunity for us there. I think there are two very strong possibilities for us next year.’’Thailand is the latest country to be linked to the sport but Warburton was giving little away before his round of international meetings.Malaysia is understood to be the most likely destination for an event next year.“I am travelling next week and I have three or four stops,’’ Warburton said.

“I am not going to say who I am meeting but I will say we are getting to the pointy end of closing down an international event. I will be travelling to multiple places in Asia. I have always said I would like an international event in 2016 and hopefully we are getting to a point in the next few weeks where that happens. I want one event in Asia next year.’’

4 locations. If that's true, what are the other two in Asia? India and Japan? Singapore w/F1 and/or Suzuka w/F1? I know there is a 888 chassis floating around Asia. Think a wildcard could be in the works for an Asian team?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back