Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,307 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i'm not much of a fan of the Sprint tyres. Look at Courtney, he had so much speed in that car in the closing stages. But, didn't V8SC want each race to be more individual instead of a weekend thing? The sprint tyres ruin that, because you can't use them in both races. You know what I mean?
 
Whincup really wrapped up the championship today. I haven't checked, but either Davison is a mathematical impossibility now or it's just so far fetched of Davison making a come-back it's laughable. Either way, Holden fans just need to shut their eyes and remember Bathurst until next year is upon us.:lol:
 
:lol: I was hoping to see a Close finish at Homebush this year. :( Last year I witnesses Whincup winning at the track, I wanted to again this year, well I still might since we're going to Homebush on the Saturday.

Anyway, any predictions to whose going to be quick at the Sydney 500? I predict Whincup and Tander. :lol: They're quick everywhere.
 
Yeah, HRT and Vodafone will be fast at Homebush. Pleasingly for me, the Kelly boys are coming strong at the end of this season too, so if they could just get lady luck on their side they could be quick too. Might be an interesting next season if the current form of some teams carry over, with all FPR, 888, HRT, Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam Racing all coming reasonably strong.
 
I heard that Speed Channel has picked up the V8 supercars and will play them a week after each race.
 
That would be so great, we normally only get like an hour of condensed season long coverage. Do you know when this is planned to start?
 
You heard correct, it was on the V8 Supercar website. You get full coverage on Fox's Speed channel or what ever it's called, starting with next year's season.👍
 
YES!!! PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!! Now I need to go off and find just when the season starts. This is too great. The series should never have been dropped to begin with.

EDIT: “We are delighted to announce that the coverage will commence with next week’s Sydney Telstra 500 being shown on SPEED over the weekend of December 12 and 13 in North America as a taste of what North American fans can view all of next season.

Bonus!

Edit2: Febuary just got that much sweeter, Daytona Speedweeks and then...

Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi Feb 18 - 20, 2010

Sorry for being more excited than I probably should be, I just think this is great!
 
Last edited:
It is awesome, I've been waiting for this.
 
Apparently NASCAR and former V8 Supercar champion Marcos Ambrose will be co-hosting the commentary for Speed TV next weekend at the Sydney Telstra 500.

Source was V8Xtra today on TV. :)
 
Sweet, I don't think normal Nascar fans even know where Ambrose came from, other than down under. There is a reason he's been doing so well and picking up on things, because he has a background in stock cars, albeit somewhat different ones, still, I think they should recognize him for his past achievements when talking about him on air.

Hopefully this will lead to an exhibition in the United States. I would like to see the V8's come and run Daytona, either layout, or Road Atlanta, Sebring, Barber. Anywhere really, ooh Bristol would be quite exciting too. I know that's just wild dreams, but I'd love it!
 
Yeah, well if the V8's were to go over there for a non-championship race (very unlikely, but i'll continue), they would probably race at Road Atlanta, Sebring, Watkins Glen, Infineon or Daytona Road course or something. It definetely would be an amazing sight.

Ambrose pretty much dominated in 2003 and 2004 in the V8 supercars. In 2005 things started to go down hill, he got involved in a lot of accidents that were mostly his fault and people began to think he was a dirty driver. And then of course at Bathurst he wasn't wearing a balaclava and said "I haven't worn one for 3 years". He just basically became unpopular with a lot of Aussie fans in 2005 and then left to NASCAR, but he said that was only a small part of the reason he went according to that documentary on ONE HD earlier this year that Australians saw.
 
I see, I was unaware of that about Ambrose, I thought he was popular, but the last time I watched Supercars on Speed I think was back around when he was popular. Or not, I can't remember exactly.

I actually like him, I think he's a good clean racer, trying hard and not stepping on toes. Although he does go out of his way to be the nice guy sometimes it seems. Perhaps what you talked about could be the reasoning behind that. The worst thing I've seen him do in Nascar was that dive bomb maneuver he used on Kyle Busch going into the bus stop at Watkins Glenn. I didn't have a problem with that move anyhow, just saying, that's the worst I can recall from him. I never would have guessed people thought he was a dirty racer. I guess I've got more to learn about him too. :lol:
 
Ambrose was as arrogant on the track as he was off. My Ford boss even told me this, they paid big bucks for a "breakfast with the drivers" when he was in his prime, and despite their efforts at making conversation with him he shrugged them off then buggered off before the breakfast even started and was seen talking and laughing with other drivers. So even my Ford bosses didn't like him then. Then of course there was his attitude on track that he had right of way and often resulted in him pushing people off track.
I don't care who that offends, you can put up with it, and I hate Ambrose for it.

Even recently, you can tell nothing has changed with Ambrose thinking he could come and race in the Sydney Telstra 500 next weekend, with quotes like "I'm sure V8s can stand on their own, but surely me being there would help and really promote the event". Big ego much?
:rolleyes:

Let me put it this way, if it was a championship fight between Lowndes and Ambrose both in Fords, I'd be going for Craig.......
 
Wow, perhaps he really is not the kind of guy I thought he was. Nascar is all about image though it seems so who knows who any of those drivers really are.

From what you guys are saying, his attitude seems right inline with Kyle Busch... Maybe he will snap one day and show us something other than a smile and no problems attitude.

So weird... What did he come here just to reinvent himself?


Edit: Dale Jr. should give the Supercars another test run, or run the Telstra 500, or another race. I saw the video of him testing on during the off season for Nascar, he said he liked it. I bet he would bring lot's of publicity, not that I think the Supercars need it.
 
Yeah, I really didn't like the way that Ambrose drove either. A few incidents I recall in 2005 was the start of race 2 at Wanneroo when he pushed Skaife off the road on the run to turn 1 and they both went off. He got a drive through for this, and then decided to give V8SA a spray on National TV.... This resulted in a points penalty and fine.

Incident 2 was the next round at Eastern Creek where Skaife exited the pits, at turn 3 Ambrose and Skaife touched spinning Skaife off the track. Ambrose, un-penalised....

I think there was another one with Steven Richards but I can't remember it, but Ambrose definetely was very unpopular in his closing stages in the V8's.

Oh yeah, I know another incident, Murphy Vs Ambrose at the cutting in 2005.... I still think that was Marcos' fault.

Look, I don't mind Ford drivers winning, but when they won like Ambrose did, it really used to peeve me off. At least Whincup and Lowndes have driven fairly clean to win their races and championships. :)
 
Is there anywhere I can go online to learn more about the recient history of Supercars? I mean, I've watched races, but when I watched Bathurst this year, I was picking favorites by best livery.:lol: Caterpillar car is/was cool, the old Pirtek and Vortex (vertex maybe?) cars too, and the Betta Electric cars, whomever may drive those. :dunce: I know Ambrose drove the Pirtek car, is Jaime Whincup one of the Betta Electric drivers? And I may be off on the spelling of his name sorry...

I know it sounds dumb, but I mean I didn't even have any idea about Ambrose acting like that... So being as were actually going to be able to watch it here without the hassle of streams, brushing up on some stuff would not hurt. :D
 
Look, I don't mind Ford drivers winning, but when they won like Ambrose did, it really used to peeve me off. At least Whincup and Lowndes have driven fairly clean to win their races and championships. :)

Absolutely, I gotta hand it to Whincup, other than the odd un-characteristic slip-up (at Gold Coast), he's won this championship cleanly and fairly.

LSX
Is there anywhere I can go online to learn more about the recient history of Supercars? I mean, I've watched races, but when I watched Bathurst this year, I was picking favorites by best livery.:lol: Caterpillar car is/was cool, the old Pirtek and Vortex (vertex maybe?) cars too, and the Betta Electric cars, whomever may drive those. :dunce: I know Ambrose drove the Pirtek car, is Jaime Whincup one of the Betta Electric drivers? And I may be off on the spelling of his name sorry...

I know it sounds dumb, but I mean I didn't even have any idea about Ambrose acting like that... So being as were actually going to be able to watch it here without the hassle of streams, brushing up on some stuff would not hurt. :D

Betta Electrical hasn't been in it for a few years now. I think the best way is just to check the V8 Supercars website regularly for news and updates, you'll keep up that way.👍
 
LSX
Is there anywhere I can go online to learn more about the recient history of Supercars? I mean, I've watched races, but when I watched Bathurst this year, I was picking favorites by best livery.:lol: Caterpillar car is/was cool, the old Pirtek and Vortex (vertex maybe?) cars too, and the Betta Electric cars, whomever may drive those. :dunce: I know Ambrose drove the Pirtek car, is Jaime Whincup one of the Betta Electric drivers? And I may be off on the spelling of his name sorry...
You can try Wikipedia, but I can't think of too many other places to glean information. If season 2010 is anything like this year, the broadcasters will introduce all the teams and drivers one by one at the first race of the season (though as it's in Abu Dhabi, they may save it for Adelaide, the third round). Other than that, there's the official website, or Wikipedia once more; it's a case of working out which driver carries which number.
 
Again, what's the go with Abu Dhabi being the season opener followed by Bahrain? Have the rich-boy middle easterners bought out V8 Supercars?:odd: It's always been Adelaide, but now that's changed.......
 
Ambrose was as arrogant on the track as he was off. My Ford boss even told me this, they paid big bucks for a "breakfast with the drivers" when he was in his prime, and despite their efforts at making conversation with him he shrugged them off then buggered off before the breakfast even started and was seen talking and laughing with other drivers. So even my Ford bosses didn't like him then. Then of course there was his attitude on track that he had right of way and often resulted in him pushing people off track.
I don't care who that offends, you can put up with it, and I hate Ambrose for it.

Even recently, you can tell nothing has changed with Ambrose thinking he could come and race in the Sydney Telstra 500 next weekend, with quotes like "I'm sure V8s can stand on their own, but surely me being there would help and really promote the event". Big ego much?
:rolleyes:

Let me put it this way, if it was a championship fight between Lowndes and Ambrose both in Fords, I'd be going for Craig.......
Where's that bow down smilie when I need it haha
 
Ambrose was as arrogant on the track as he was off. My Ford boss even told me this, they paid big bucks for a "breakfast with the drivers" when he was in his prime, and despite their efforts at making conversation with him he shrugged them off then buggered off before the breakfast even started and was seen talking and laughing with other drivers. So even my Ford bosses didn't like him then. Then of course there was his attitude on track that he had right of way and often resulted in him pushing people off track.
I don't care who that offends, you can put up with it, and I hate Ambrose for it.

Even recently, you can tell nothing has changed with Ambrose thinking he could come and race in the Sydney Telstra 500 next weekend, with quotes like "I'm sure V8s can stand on their own, but surely me being there would help and really promote the event". Big ego much?
:rolleyes:

Let me put it this way, if it was a championship fight between Lowndes and Ambrose both in Fords, I'd be going for Craig.......

That is BANG out of order man.

If Ambrose was this disrespectful punk that you are making him out to be, why did he got to someone like Mark Martin, one of the most respected men in NASCAR, and get advice from him?
 
Again, what's the go with Abu Dhabi being the season opener followed by Bahrain? Have the rich-boy middle easterners bought out V8 Supercars?:odd: It's always been Adelaide, but now that's changed.......
So you'd rather they be the final races of the year when they could be championship deciders? Having the away races at the beginning of the season probably makes things easier logistically. And it kind of gets everyone fired up for Adelaide.
 
Ambrose has always been somewhat of an arrogant clot, but he's nothing like what you make him out to be, Paulie. He's a good driver, he knows his (and other peoples') limits, he just gets a case of the red mist more often than other drivers.

Yes, he has a big ego, but it's drivers like him that added excitement to the series, something the series has been lacking a bit of in these last few years.
 
LSX
Sweet, I don't think normal Nascar fans even know where Ambrose came from, other than down under. There is a reason he's been doing so well and picking up on things, because he has a background in stock cars, albeit somewhat different ones, still, I think they should recognize him for his past achievements when talking about him on air.

Hopefully this will lead to an exhibition in the United States. I would like to see the V8's come and run Daytona, either layout, or Road Atlanta, Sebring, Barber. Anywhere really, ooh Bristol would be quite exciting too. I know that's just wild dreams, but I'd love it!
How about Laguna Seca, Infineon and/or Portland? Those are all along the west coast.
 
*puts a call to Fedex and Indianapolis International Airport* "Yes put Qantas as an International Flight List... Also.. Will someone please tell Fed Ex to deliver the cars and equipment to 16th Street and Georgetown Rd? Thank you.* With one of Fed Ex's major shipping hubs + IMS + plus an international airport = We would like to have the V8s here in Indy. ---- Randy
 
I’ll out at the Telstra 500 on Sunday, anyone else also heading out to Homebush?
 
How about Laguna Seca, Infineon and/or Portland? Those are all along the west coast.

Yeah either Laguna or Infineon sound good. Just so long as I don't need a passport to go see them. :lol: I suppose the West Coast would be easier to get to, it's closer. We have lot's of great East Coast tracks though! :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back