Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,314 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i had the cash, i would be there as well, just got to settle on watching it at Motors TV :(
 
Where the hell did Reynolds come from? His sudden turn-around pace is astonishing, he was coming second at Perth before he blew that tyre, and now he's been consistently towards the top in all 3 practice sessions at Sydney.:eek: Also, there is just one point between Vodafone and HRT coming into Sydney, this round will decide the Team Championship.:D
 
Yes, Teams Championship. Excellent bragging rights. Who even won it last year; can anyone remember except the team that won it?
 
Yes, Teams Championship. Excellent bragging rights. Who even won it last year; can anyone remember except the team that won it?

No it's not as important, but Bathurst champions are remembered more so than championship winners too, and this year's Bathurst was pretty historical.:sly: But it's an aspect of V8 Supercars anyway (the teams championship), so should be interesting. I suspect that's what HRT and Vodafone will be looking for now that the championship is wrapped up too.
 
Congratulations to Jamie Whincup! 👍

Great racing today, unfortunately I fell asleep for about 15 laps (4 hours sleep...). A great new circuit, I reckon. The first half of pit lane looked a little awkward, but turned out to be fine. Certain parts gave me a bit of a Macau vibe, while the short, narrow section between turns 4 and 7 reminded me of Monaco. Hopefully tomorrow goes just as well!
 
It was certainly a violent track, very bumpy with huge kerbs. Whincup's and Holdsworth's overtakes into turn 1 where they literally floated the rear end in were something to watch weren't they?! Congrats to Whincup on the champoinship.
At first glance it looked like a lot of drivers were careless and arrogant today, but I think it was just the track eaking out mistakes.
 
Yeah, congrats to Whincup!

Don't really know what know what happened. :lol: You don't see much at street circuits. But yeah, I got a bit of video footage that i'll upload to youtube tomorrow and over the coming week. Turn 5 (round the back of Acer Arena) is just scary to watch. So I took some footage of that. :D
 
You don't see much at street circuits.
Gotta get grandstand seats right in front of the big screens, like I do for Clipsal. It's like sitting in the lounge room, but more cramped and hot! :dopey:
 
A quick video of the Fujitsu Series qualifying at Turn 5 at the Sydney 500.

 
What a weird race this has been. O.o
 
More like bitterly disappointing for everyone except Courtney and Caruso so far.:banghead:
 
Well it certainly isn't designed to be enjoyed by attending patrons. They tried to (quite successfully) recreate the Gold Coast vibe of more of a festival were a race happens to be on at the same time.

You can't see much from anywhere but the stands and even that is limited. I would have preferred it back at Eastern Creek as at least there the main feature would have been the racing. I'll post some shots up shortly, I have fair few to sift through still.
 
And a few more videos.


Reaction to Tander on pole.




 
Seeing Caruso in 2nd place was nice, but a win for GRM was well within grasp and it was a shame to see it slip away.:(
HRT won the team championship as well, a minor consolation prize.
 
I went to see the final race yesterday.

It was utterly insane.

We spent most of the day walking around, but by race time, good spots were hard to come by. We started watching the Fujitsu development cars down at the first half of the dogleg around the train station. I admit, it was a little scary because there were one or two guys - Rodney Jane and the driver of car #98 whose name ecapes me - who never seemed to be able to get the right-hander right and they often looked like they were dangerously close to crashing.

For the twenty-minute qualifying session, we got a spot on mound inside the final few corners, which wasn't too bad. The cars did tend to burble a little slowly, but we quickly realised that in order to get a good time, the drivers had to treat the entire complex as one bend. After McNally's engine gave up, we found another spot nearby, on the exit of the first bend of this little sequence, the right. That was pretty good, because we got to see the drag race from the previous corner. And somewhat naturally, Jack Perkins screwed it up and found himself going the wrong way.

Good spots were hard to come by in time for the race proper, but we managed to get one that happened to be at one of the best turns on the circuit, if not in the country. It was at the bottom of the circuit, at the far south-western corner; about as far away from the start line as you could be and still be within the circuit perimeter. I'd have liked to have been on the outside, but that was all grandstands and corporate boxes. Still, we could see a giant screen on the outside of the corner, so we could follow it - without the commentary, we wouldn't have known what was happening after the first round of stops. At one point there, Tim Slade was leading, but I wouldn't have known if you hadn't told me.

Now, the corner: the cars came blasting out of this bus-stop chicane, and the level of the road actually dipped dow so much that we were standing above the cars. They came charging up the hill and took on the double-apex left-hander, which crested shortly thereafter and began the run down to the Novotel. We figured it was the one place they stood a genuine chance of passing, and we were right. Alex Davison was particularly brutal about it; we counted no less than six passes - including one on his brother - in the space of a few laps. There was a lot of carnage there, too; a lot of people ended up in the barrier on the outside of the corner, especially if they were on the outside of a pass. We think the camber might have dropped away, pitching the cars into the wall. It's something they'll have to look at for next year, but I like it the way it is. The race was defaintely one of attrition, and if yesterday was anything to go by, the Sydeny 500 is going to get a reputation as one of the country's most difficult races.

My brother and I did a walk-around early on in the race, and we found a few good places. The bus-stop chicane before our corner was slow and a little fiddly, but it was also really fluid. The cars came charging down this fast and narow chute around Acer Arena, and then they'd weigh anchor and serious shave off their speed for the corner. They'd kind of bounce through it, getting a few inches clearance as they pitched two wheels into the air, and then cross over to the other corner and do it again. It was oddly graceful to see them dancing about like that. We also climbed one of the bridges and had a great view of the cars as they climbed the hill to our corner, but we moved on pretty quickly because there was already a crowd in place there and the police didn't look too happy about it.

We also made in the direction of the Novotel after one of the re-starts heading back down to where we had started the day. It wan't too bad - there was a lot of jeering when Dean Fiore showed up with a crumpled front end - but there wasn't much passing. If they drivers couldn't make it stick, they generally couldn't follow through down the bottom. Still, it was great to hear them open the throttle wide out of that corner, since we'd hear them before we saw them on account of the crest.

Speaking of the sound, it was incredible. My brother is training to be a surveyor and engineer and he does work for my uncle up in Queensland in the holidays. Right now they're doing some work at Amberly Air Force Base nears Ipswich. He has F-111 fighter jets taking off right next to him all day, and even he was impressed by the sound of the cars. For some strange reason, they don't down each other out when you get a gaggle of them nearby - you can actually pick out the individual cars. The effect is doubled after a re-start; they have the time behind the safety car to psych themselves up. They were so noisy, they drowned out the commentary, which was broadcast over hundreds of speakerphones, though by the end of the day I could hear it word-for-word as the cars went past. But maybe I was used to it by then.

The only real disappointment of the day was the way TeamVodafone had sold out of team shirts early on. I really wanted to get one and had the opportunity to do so before they'd sold out, but passed on it because we needed to work out a way to get my brother in because he came in by train wereas we went in by bus (which, by the way, was really well organised). Nevertheless, I've already decided: I'm going to Bathurst next year. I'm even going to try and get a teaching prac in town over the Bathurst weekend.
 
The cars came charging down this fast and narow chute around Acer Arena, and then they'd weigh anchor and serious shave off their speed for the corner. They'd kind of bounce through it, getting a few inches clearance as they pitched two wheels into the air, and then cross over to the other corner and do it again. It was oddly graceful to see them dancing about like that. We also climbed one of the bridges and had a great view of the cars as they climbed the hill to our corner, but we moved on pretty quickly because there was already a crowd in place there and the police didn't look too happy about it.

Glad you enjoyed it. I've been to a few races before and have enjoyed them far more than this one. Phillip Island is a spectators heaven, so is Eastern Creek.

That S was a little crazy... almost every car got onto 2 wheels through that section:
4163003589_992d78c3ee_o.jpg


Nevertheless, I've already decided: I'm going to Bathurst next year. I'm even going to try and get a teaching prac in town over the Bathurst weekend.

Not sure how old you are but keep in mind that Bathurst is totally the opposite to the Telstra 500. It's not a family venue really. It has been cleaned up a fair bit from a few years back but it's still very much a adult affair. Bloody good circuit though.
 
Not sure how old you are but keep in mind that Bathurst is totally the opposite to the Telstra 500. It's not a family venue really. It has been cleaned up a fair bit from a few years back but it's still very much a adult affair. Bloody good circuit though.
Yeah, I know. I'm actually twenty-three; my brother is twenty-one. I know the crowds get a little rowdy and the Ford/Holden rivalry is a colder war than it usually is, but I don't think I'd be spectating from McPhillamy Park. I'd be likely to caue controversy because I'll still support Lowndes and Whincup even though I'm a Ford man. The number one might be on the side of a Holden next season, but they owe that championship to Ford. They're going to owe a lot to Ford; it will be different from 2011. I'm not looking to cause an uproar again here, but I'm hoping Holden fans remember where that number one and where that team came from. Their victories and their titles were won in our name, not Holden's, and while anything they take in 2010 will be under the Holden banner, some small part of it will be because of Ford. I'm not one to rub it in; quite the opposite, really - I know I'll start to regain my respect for Holden fans if they do it. I'm just afraid the prevaing attitude will be "We've got Triple Eight now, so suck it!", which is why I'll stay away from McPhillamy. I'm told there's a hill at the end of pit straight that it pretty good viewing.
 
To borrow a line from an older arcade racing game "Those Cats (and Birds) are driving fast. ;)"

Also with all that happened over the weekend in Turn 8, do you think it should be renamed "Skaifey's Revenge"? :D
 
I don't think it was intentionally designed as a race-ender, but rather that it simply became a place where drivers tripped over each other than themselves. It's not unlike the first section of the Esses at Mount Panorama; get it wrong and it's game over.
 
From what I saw on the weekend (not as much as usual) Holdsworth was unreal from the first race after coming unstuck through the XXXX esses and fighting his way through the field. Then qualifying and 33 tops the timesheets again, and goes on to be one of the fastest guys in the race until.....i fall asleep after Rick Kelly clouts the wall thanks to 4 hours sleep plus paintball the previous day. so what happened?
 
Holdworth crashed again, this time there was no fluid on track, and it was just driver error over the off-camber and bumpy corner.:banghead: I was really looking for a GRM win there.:(

Edit:
Glad you enjoyed it. I've been to a few races before and have enjoyed them far more than this one. Phillip Island is a spectators heaven, so is Eastern Creek.

QLD Raceway is great for spectators because you can see the entire track at once and get right up to the pit lane fence, even though the track itself leaves a lot to be desired.:sly: (Great for tracking your own car though thanks to low risk factor)
 
Last edited:
I can't believe I forgot this: the best moment of the weekend. It was during the drivers' parade, when everyone was making their way around in the backs of convertible Aston Martins (if you're a Craig Lowndes) or convertible Minis (if you're a Dean Fiore). Anyway, some of the guys in the grandstand opposite us are calling out to the drivers as they go past. It's normally just their names ("Lowndesy!", "Frosty!", etc), but as Tony d'Alberto goes past, someone shouts out "Who are you!?"
 
Well, it's official: full-time drivers cannot partner up for the enduros. The drivers don't like it, but I don't have a problem with it - in the past, it's always felt like a case of the teams trying to maximise their chances of winning. Which is perfectly understandable, but it has also come at the expense of the second car. When was the last time the second TeamVodafone entry was competitive in the enduros?

Hopefully this will make the racing more competitive.
 
QUICK! Someone sign Skaifey haha
 
Speed starting showing highlights of the 2009 season. However, they START with the races around Sydney Olympic Park. Still, no way in Hell am I going to miss out on seeing AV8SS highlights!
 
Good race from Sydney, they sure like to lean on each other! I was exhausted and fell asleep during the second race, but the DVR has it, so I'll watch it when I get a chance. Loved the chicane.

John, I don't think they're highlights, but mildly condensed versions of the full races. Leaving out time behind safety cars and a lap here and there. Much better than the hour long FULL SEASON highlights we used to get. The whole season is going to be aired next year, a week after it's shown live in Australia.
 
So, Jonathan Webb has joined DJR as a satellite car after stepping up from Fujtsu. They're currently trying to buy out Britek's REC, and Webb has cofirmed Jim Beam wll not sponsor the car.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back