Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,314 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a fairly passionate fellow and I don't like some of the things Lowndes does on track, he just has a few too loyal followers, can't please everyone. That doesn't make me a fanboy, and it doesn't make me a narrow minded tool either.
And I don't think the criticism of him is justified, at least not in the face of some of the stunts the likes of Kelly has pulled in the past (no, I'm not re-opening that old would, just giving an example). It doesn't make me a narrow-mided tool, either - just equally passionate.

But it's when either of us starts making inflammatory comments that things start spiralling out of control. The both of us have to realise that we each play our part in making the situation worse. We don't play equal parts - and each of us is probably going to say the other plays the larger part - but you have to admit that you do play a part, no matter how big or small it may be. Even if it's not your intention to get me fired up the way you seem to be so very good at doing, surely you've recognised that you comments may provoke a reaction. I've noticed it in my posts.

So this is how it shoud be: don't push me, and I won't push you. I'll even offer the internet equivalent of a handshake.
 
And I don't think the criticism of him is justified, at least not in the face of some of the stunts the likes of Kelly has pulled in the past (no, I'm not re-opening that old would, just giving an example). It doesn't make me a narrow-mided tool, either - just equally passionate.

But it's when either of us starts making inflammatory comments that things start spiralling out of control. The both of us have to realise that we each play our part in making the situation worse. We don't play equal parts - and each of us is probably going to say the other plays the larger part - but you have to admit that you do play a part, no matter how big or small it may be. Even if it's not your intention to get me fired up the way you seem to be so very good at doing, surely you've recognised that you comments may provoke a reaction. I've noticed it in my posts.

So this is how it shoud be: don't push me, and I won't push you. I'll even offer the internet equivalent of a handshake.

I don't see why we can't put our differences aside to even be e-friends/friendly with each other to be honest, because in the larger picture of the world, were we to have met in real life we'd probably be friends since we both love cars and both watch V8 Supercars. What do you say, be friendly and involved, or just stay away from each other?

Similarly, I don't think the criticism of the Kelly boys is justified. Jack Perkins though? Go nuts.
 
You two done now? ;)

re: Kelly.. they're both toolsheds - Rick moreso. Let's put that to bed too, mmkay?


Whincup is looking pretty good to take this, provided he doesn't have another horror at Bahrain, but knowing the V8 Supercars, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's exactly what happens. I'm also rather annoyed that Coulthard's going to the dark side for 2010, silly man :/ Oh well, at least Cheeseburger is still in the right car :D
 
You two done now? ;)

re: Kelly.. they're both toolsheds - Rick moreso. Let's put that to bed too, mmkay?

That's provocative, we're putting a stop to that.;)
 
I didn't get to see Race 2 over the weekend, but I did find out about this...

Rather scary, huh? WTCC at Pau all over again - ALMOST. :sick:
 
..Whincup is looking pretty good to take this, provided he doesn't have another horror at Bahrain, but knowing the V8 Supercars, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's exactly what happens.

But they're not going to Bahrain, untill next year. But he could do it in either Barbagello or Sydney finale.


I didn't get to see Race 2 over the weekend, but I did find out about this...

Rather scary, huh? WTCC at Pau all over again - ALMOST. :sick:


Quite a bit ridiculous, so dangerous, and should be made never to happen again.
 
Ah. I forgot they canned Bahrain this year. Me = :dunce:
 
For the 2nd round in a row V8 Supercars buggered up unfortunately. That was ridiculously dangerous having the safety car stopped like that. Hope that V8SA starts making some better decisions soon. I love the racing, but some of these smaller issues are making the series look silly. :(
 
I figure the only way the situation could have gotten like that would have been a) if the radio broke down and the driver had no form of communicating with Race Control, or b) if the driver somehow mistook Whincup for Lowndes.
 
I figure the only way the situation could have gotten like that would have been a) if the radio broke down and the driver had no form of communicating with Race Control, or b) if the driver somehow mistook Whincup for Lowndes.

Well you could hear the radio chat on TV, they were telling it to hold. :lol: But yeah, maybe the driver had a problem hearing them or something or the TV telecast could've delayed the radio.
 
Women drivers ...

[/sexism]

No, women are wonderful drivers for the most part. It's men who lack patience with them. And yes, the safety car driver is a woman; I believe her name is Amber Andrerson, or something like that. Her first name is certanly femminine.

Anyway, apparently the Car of the Future brief has been finished and submitted to the Powers That Be. It's to remina secret for the time being, because they can hardly disclose information to the public until the teams and drivers are briefed, but apparently we'll know more after the board's final meeting after the Sydney 500. In other news, Tasman Motorsport have decided that regardless of whether they're going to give up one of their RECs, they'll block moves to allow wildcard entires for normal races because it would devalue the purpose of the racing licence; there was a suggestion that wildcard entires like those for Bathurst and the first race at Philip Island could be opened up. There was a plan to try and get Marcos Ambrose back for a one-shot at the Sydney 500. Honestly, I couldn't really see the plan working for normal races. The Island and Bathurst yes, Adelaide and Homebush probably, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain maybe (if they wildcards could have their shipping costs covered) but I just couldn't see it working on a regular basis.

The V8s are also looking to adopt Surfers' Paradise as a permanent fixture, even if there is no international race for them to support. There's a few changes they want to make, but a lot depends on the report that will be submitted to the Queensland government that will detail what went wrong and how it came to be that the organisers selected A1GP as the replacement for Indycar. I've also heard the suggestion that a permanent race facility could be build on the Gold Coast as an alternative venue and the street circuit would die away. On the one hand, I like the idea because I think racing cars have long outgrown the street circuit, but on the other, the street circuit has a certain character. I would, however, get rid of all the chicanes except for the one at turns five and six.
 
RE: Lowndes V Bargwarna did anyone watch the last 10 laps of bathurst where Lowndes punted Bargs off for a podium postion, and if i can remember correctly he did the same at surfers he turfs people off and complains when someone does it to him.

anyway it seems that bagging the Kellys is the usual thing here these days
Sadly im one of the few of the fans of Todd Kelly Rick not so much
 
Last edited:
Haha good thread.:D
I would say each V8 Supercar driver has different ideas on racing, but in the end they are all chasing the same thing. Every driver has there different style and qualities just as any other normal Human does. It's the fact that they are so closely watched by loads of people all round the world that at some point someone is going to think twice about what they have said or done.;)
R*
 
He's not as bad this half of the season as he was the first half
 
...........and slow.........
That too, but Junior Johnson hardly set the grid ablaze when he joined, and now he's reasonably competitive. A lack of speed can be cured. Impetuousness can be exorcised - Ferrari did it with Felipe Massa. But dangerous drivers don't last long. Everyone from Nelson Piquet through to Dale Wood have two things in common: they've all been dangerous and none of them have lasted long. Slow drivers can be sculpted, but dangerous drivers are a liability and they need to be cut loose.
 
Hahaha good call. And your're basing this whole Jack Perkins thing on the first half of this year? he wasnt doing too bad when he raced in the Dev. series
 
no no I'm just saying from what I saw he was more dangerous in the first half. Winton for example
 
What's with all the threats of abandoning tracks lately? What would they do, go to Phillip Island 4 times a year? *shakes head*.
 
What's with all the threats of abandoning tracks lately? What would they do, go to Phillip Island 4 times a year? *shakes head*.
The sport is out-growing the circuits. They're too small. How many of them are over three kilometres in length? The grid at Barbagallo seems to extend around most of the circuit, and Symmonds Plains is similarly compact. Hidden Valley and Townsville are just under three, while Winton just comes in at three flat, and Sandown and Queensland Raceway are just over that at 3.1km. If the grid is going to expand to accomodate more manufacturers, these circuits may nt be able to cope. It's better to upgrade them nw instead of find out later on that they can't handle it.
 
Aren't they trying to make the grid smaller though? A short circuit can still be a great circuit, like Hidden Valley, so I hope they don't abandon that too. Eastern Creek was a great circuit but the profiteering blokes who run V8 Supercars decided not to go there any more because of the smaller crowds there.
 
Smaller for now, maybe. I think they're trying to eliminate problematic one-car teams like Triple F whose budget is generally whatever they can make busking on a stret corner. With the Car of the Future aiming to make things cheaper and the potential for as many as three new manufacturers on the grid, I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded in the future. Those new manufacturers would no doubt run works teams, but I imagine they'd have a job convincing current teams to defect. So I can see them opening up again.
 
I do hope they eventually expand the grid, if they get new manufacturers.
 
SprintGas Racing is no more. Instead of seling one of their RECs, they've sold both - one to Tony d'Alberto and the other to Lucas Dumbrell.

Wilson Security Racing seems to have disbanded for the time being, too. One of their RECs was acquired by Tim Slade's backers, while the other seems to be being leased out to Britek.
 
solong as Murph still has a ride lol
 
Whincup has this season in the bag now........


I really hope the stupid sprint tyres don't come back next year.
 
I really hope the stupid sprint tyres don't come back next year.
I kind of liked it today - I was gunning to see Reynaolds on the podium. Why did he have to have tyre problems when Greg Murphy managed just fine?
 
I kind of liked it today - I was gunning to see Reynaolds on the podium. Why did he have to have tyre problems when Greg Murphy managed just fine?

I think the Sprint Tyres are a silly idea, because it takes away from driver skill in some scenarios. Take Tander for example, as far as I could tell his car setup wasn't great today, but he didn't use his sprint tyres. Tomorrow now he'll probably win if nothing bad happens to him, thanks to having fresh sprint tyres ready to go. Unless they give the drivers a new set for each race it just takes away from the quality of the championship, and perhaps more importantly, the close racing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back