Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,148 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
That really is the way celebrate a win throwing some big smokey nuts!!!
 
The thing I like most about that race was that Jamie Whincup had a horrible weekend getting very little points.

Agreed, I may be a Holden guy, but I really dislike Triple 8 racing so it was great to see Whincup struggle in both races.

Great to see Holdsworth finish second and congrats to the Giz.
 
The races were fantastic! I think both Kelly and Gizzy did a fantastic job this weekend. They all deserve it. However, I do feel a bit dissapointed when somebody I forgot the name hit Todd Kelly's car and put him on the back....
 
^I think it might have been Tim Slade that hit Todd Kelly.

Pity as he was having a great weekend.
 
Man, I don't think there could've been a more exciting race than Race 1 at Hamilton the other day. Intense!
 
Bloody hell! In about 10 years of watching motorsport, I've never seen a race start incident as devastating as what just happened in race 2 at Barbagallo. Glad to see Reindler and Owen are both relatively okay. :scared:
 
Massive stack! The fire makes it look worse. I'm glad I wasn't in either car.
 
That crash reminds of Paul Morris at Oran Park a few years ago.
 
That crash was.... WOW. :crazy: :scared: Randy
 
What a lucky mates. Heavy shunt on Karl's car - caught into a fireball. My first thought was the crash in Oran Park some years ago. Fortunately they're all owkey after that. The on-board footage of the crash they showed on both cars during race 9 was frightening!
 
I am really glad both guys are ok. very similar to Oran Park.
Steve Owen had no where to go. It's a good thing that Dave Reynolds was able to miss it other wise there could have been three cars involved.

On board footage


race footage


news with the COTF (car of the future) development is that the fule cell will no longer hang out the back of the car. It is placed forward of the rear axel.
Hopefully this change in the cars, could prevent this from happening.
 
Yeah, it's very lucky that Reynolds was able to avoid Karl's car otherwise it could have been a much worse.

That on board footage is shocking.
 
news with the COTF (car of the future) development is that the fule cell will no longer hang out the back of the car. It is placed forward of the rear axel.
Hopefully this change in the cars, could prevent this from happening.

Yeah I heard that in the race commentary. I think it could prevent this incident from happening again. As from the looks of thing on Karl's car, the rear axel looks barely any serious damage done. So placing the fuel cell in front of the rear axel is a good idea. Unfortunately, will it upset the whole balance of the car?
 
news with the COTF (car of the future) development is that the fule cell will no longer hang out the back of the car. It is placed forward of the rear axel.
Hopefully this change in the cars, could prevent this from happening.

It is a good idea, I have always wondered why the fuel is so far to the back. Having said that, looking at the car that was hit, the fuel tank could have been sitting on (what would have been) the back seat and it still probably would have been damaged.
 
that was a massive hit!

Very lucky to walk away from that, you do not see too many fires on the track these days...that fuel tank needs to be moved!
 
V8 Supercars has been sold to Sydney-based private equity firm Archer Capital. Archer acquires 60% of the sport, with the remaining 40% being held by the teams. Very little about the running of the sport will actually change, however, there are already big plans for the future of the sport, with Archer having their eye on eighteen rounds by 2013, with the possibility of races in America, China, Singapore, India and Qatar.
 
...however, there are already big plans for the future of the sport, with Archer having their eye on eighteen rounds by 2013, with the possibility of races in America, China, Singapore, India and Qatar.

I think it's a good news, but I would also love to see them coming to Sepang too. The last time I saw one of the Holden Commodore in Sepang was in 2008 A1GP where they have this small GT racing. The sound of the car was fantastic and I miss it!
 
Well, those countries are only the countries that were named. If there's sufficent demand in Asia, I could see Abu Dhabi/Qatar being dropped in favour of somewhere like Sepang. But at the same time, V8 Supercars won't want to compete with SuperGT. Then again, I think the only way the series could reasonably race overseas is as a support event to other categories. At least to begin with. I could see an American leg of the championship taking in Barber, Baltimore and Long Beach (Indycar), Austin (Formula 1), or Oklahoma City (ALMS).
 
Last edited:

Old video but gets me amped for it, heading down there this year, can't wait can't wait can't wait!
 
Well, those countries are only the countries that were named. If there's sufficent demand in Asia, I could see Abu Dhabi/Qatar being dropped in favour of somewhere like Sepang. But at the same time, V8 Supercars won't want to compete with SuperGT. Then again, I think the only way the series could reasonably race overseas is as a support event to other categories. At least to begin with. I could see an American leg of the championship taking in Barber, Baltimore and Long Beach (Indycar), Austin (Formula 1), or Oklahoma City (ALMS).

I think Austin would be a good idea, as the GP2 cars dont follow them to the circuits on the Americas and I dont know what other support classes they have. although in Canada they had Formula Fords, Ferrari Challenge (One make Ferrari F430) and Historic Grand Prix. Also they (might) have a good relationship with F1 because of the Melbourne GP.
 
They have a closer relationship with Indycar.
 
Really? IRL havent raced in Australia since 2008, although from what I understand they are going back this year.
 
Really? IRL havent raced in Australia since 2008, although from what I understand they are going back this year.
 
Really? IRL havent raced in Australia since 2008, although from what I understand they are going back this year.
IRL isn't coming back to Australia.

My point is that the V8 Supercars has a closer relationship with Indycar than they do with Formula 1. The V8 races at Surfers' Paradise were always championship events. They aren't in Melbourne because Bernie Ecclestone doesn't want people coming to the Grand Prix to see the V8s and then leaving. And even though the IRL hasn't been to Australia since 2008, a lot of the drivers - Tagliani, Franchitti, Power, etc. - come down here for the ongoing Gold Coast 600, which requires teams to run an international driver.
 
I suppose that could be the case, although does it really matter if it is a championship round or not? I dont think it would make a difference personally, and if it were to increase ticket sales then great, because that GP keeps on losing money. If I were Bernie I would want as many people through the gates as I could. As long as the V8s didnt take the focus away from the F1 (which Im sure they wouldnt), then I dont think it should be a problem.

While that is also true, there are also a number of guys from other Touring Car disciplines such as Priaulx, Menu and Muller in there too. Does that mean that V8 Supercars have a good relationship with their respective series?

PS sorry for the double post, iPhone app did the second one...
 
Hidden Valley 1st race results,
1st) Rick Kelly.
2nd) Steven Johnson.
3rd) Craig Lowndes.

Crazy restart towards the end of the race.
 
Ridiculous restart, Winterbottom got a tap from whincup which caused the overlapping and resulting incident. But usually the leader accelerates from the last corner once the safety car enters the pits, Winterbottom was still crawling coming onto the straight.

But the leader controls the start so Whincup should have been more patient.

But im kinda happy it happend because Whincup ended up 9th I think. Nice to see him out of the top 3 for once :D
 
Not when there is a Kelly winning though :(
 
Hidden Valley 2nd race results,
1st) Shane Van Gisbergen.
2nd) Craig Lowndes.
3rd) Mark Winterbottom.

Championship leader Jamie Whincup finished 6th.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back