Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,127 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
.Reynolds moving into the Walkinshaw Performance car, which will be run as a satellite of HRT.

I still don't understand why he lost his full time Bundy ride to the very average Andrew Thompson last year, I've been very impressed with his results this year, especially as you say, he is the fourth driver in a three car team.
 
I don't understand either, but he's with Kelly Racing this year. And he'll apparently be with them next year as well.
 
Pardon the triple-post - it's been a month since the last one - but I've just found the livery to be used by the #77 Shannons Mars Racing Bathurst wildcard:

Livery77e10ps-med.jpg


I think it looks silly - that logo on the rear quarter is entirely too small, creating all these weird open spaces of nothingness. The car will be driven by Grant Denyer and either Andrew Jordan or Cameron Waters, depending on who wins the "Shannons Supercar Showdown" (or, as I like to call it, "We're the Kelly Brothers and look how awesome we are!") this coming Sunday. I'm betting on Jordan to win the show. He's an established driver in the BTCC, and Waters is just sixteen, which is entirely too young to be racing in V8 Supercars.

And while the subject is Kelly Racing, there are dark rumours that the team is in a really bad state when it comes to morale. Apparently David Reynolds and Greg Murphy are very popular; more popular than the Kellys. And since Rick in particular thinks he's a superstar, it's apparently not going over very well within the team.

Russell Ingall is also going to run a special livery for the event, because it's his 200th start (hence the new number):

ingall-bathurst-art.jpg


Ingall has also confirmed that he (and sponsor Supercheap Auto) will be leaving Paul Morris Motorsport at the end of the season. Popular rumour places him at Walkinshaw Performance, replacing Fabian Coulthard.
 
For those Americans that don't know, the Bathurst 1000 will be shown on SPEED Live on the 8th of October. About freaking time we get something good on there! Live too! Super stoked. :D
 
Ingall has also confirmed that he (and sponsor Supercheap Auto) will be leaving Paul Morris Motorsport at the end of the season. Popular rumour places him at Walkinshaw Performance, replacing Fabian Coulthard.

That's a good fit in my opinion, I can see Ingall there for a year or two, until they are ready to bring Percat or another development driver in full time.
 
For those Americans that don't know, the Bathurst 1000 will be shown on SPEED Live on the 8th of October. About freaking time we get something good on there! Live too! Super stoked. :D

Ya, they've been looping the commercial pretty consistently on SPEED for the last week. I wish they would broadcast the DTM races, but that would probably interfere with seemingly endless NASCAR races.
 
Russell Ingall is also going to run a special livery for the event, because it's his 200th start (hence the new number):

ingall-bathurst-art.jpg
If SuperCheap is sponsoring this race next year, and I'm under the assumption that they are, Will The Enforcer's car have a #50 for a special one-off deal since it's the 50th Anniversary of The Great Race? :) That or the #1000 for the distance of the race, but I imagine the latter suggestion may get shot down by the AVESCO comitee with guns blazing.:O

For those Americans that don't know, the Bathurst 1000 will be shown on SPEED Live on the 8th of October. About freaking time we get something good on there! Live too! Super stoked. :D
Looking forward to watching this live as well. Maybe we can have a live chat going during the race? If so, do you want to do it in the GTPOLanet chat room or by some other means like Skype or AIM Messenger?
 
2It has been confirmed that 2011 will see the final running of the Hamilton 400 ater the 2011 race posted a significant loss.
Hampton Downs for 2012 pl0x

Wouldn't mind seeing a return to Pukekohe but I would rather see V8SC go to a new circuit if possible. I also vaguely remember the Hampton Downs people saying they hoped V8 Supercars would race there once the track was complete and FIA certified.
 
Yeah, Hampton Downs is a popular suggestion. But I'm hearing that approval for a second access gate connecting to the nearby highway has been denied. Still, they've got eighteen months before the vacant slot comes up.

Even if Hampton Downs is not an option, I could see Ruapuna Park as being viable if Christchurch can be rebuilt in time:
99842791042116.gif


Or Taupo Motorsports Park:
800px-Taupo_Motorsports_Park.svg_.png


And as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with Pukekohe:
Pukekohe.gif


So there's plenty of fine circuits in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Although according to this article, a street circuit in Auckland or Wellington is a possibility, too.
 
New Zealand has some great looking permanent circuits which I would love to see the V8 Supercars visit. Enough of this street course business, hopefully some of them get the boot (Adelaide and Surfers Paradise can stay!) when the series goes even more international.
 
Being a local I'd absolutely love a V8 round at Ruapuna, but it really doesn't have the infrastructure to support the V8s. Not sure what Pukekohe's attendance figures were like, but Ruapuna only has two grandstands and as such can't hold particularly many people, and I'm not even sure if there's room around the circuit for temporary grandstands. Then of course as you mentioned our city is currently pretty broken, which makes the whole thing redundant.

The problem I have with Taupo is that there's not many overtaking opportunities compared to the length of the lap - at best you can pass into turn 1, 7, 8, the Sweeper, drafting down the straight and into turn 12. Good track for open-wheelers like the TRS and Formula Fords, but it wouldn't be my first choice for 30 big saloons.
 
2It has been confirmed that 2011 will see the final running of the Hamilton 400 ater the 2011 race posted a significant loss.
Hampton Downs for 2012 pl0x

Wouldn't mind seeing a return to Pukekohe but I would rather see V8SC go to a new circuit if possible. I also vaguely remember the Hampton Downs people saying they hoped V8 Supercars would race there once the track was complete and FIA certified.

And as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with Pukekohe:
Pukekohe.gif


So there's plenty of fine circuits in the Land of the Long White Cloud. Although according to this article, a street circuit in Auckland or Wellington is a possibility, too.
I second the motion of a return to Pukekohe. ;) And I believe at one time there was a small loop that extended the length of that track in the area of the Jennian Homes Sweeper. I'm guessing F1 races were held at that track at one time that were not a part of the championship series at one point.
 
There was:
NZL_Pukekohe.gif

However, I think using it would take away from the circuit rather than add to it. Plus, looking at it on satellite maps, it's very narrow and in poor condition.

I never understood why the series left Pukekohe in the first place.
 
There was:
NZL_Pukekohe.gif

However, I think using it would take away from the circuit rather than add to it. Plus, looking at it on satellite maps, it's very narrow and in poor condition.

I never understood why the series left Pukekohe in the first place.

Totally agree. Pukekohe has still a lot of good things going for itself.
 
Well, the New Zealanders (New Zealandites?) are considering a few venues: according to this article, they're looking at Whenuapai airfield, north-west of Auckland (which I believe was the preferred venue for a New Zealand race before Pukekohe). The Auckland city council is also considering a city-based street circuit of their own, or a return to Pukekohe. But Whenuapai seems to be the popular choice. The only problem is that it has to be a 3.5km circuit, and it cannot use the main runway, so there's not a lot that can be done. This was te best I could do.
 
Just watched the race at Philip Island on Speed, I'm not sure if it was live or not, but its only the 2nd V8 Supercars race I've watched and it was really exciting, so now I'm looking forward to the Bathrust 1000 next weekend! I'm a Holden fan.
 
Just watched the race at Philip Island on Speed, I'm not sure if it was live or not,

It was a few weeks ago(Sept. 17/18), glad you liked it.👍

Amazing how a series with no real connection to the U.S. other than parent companies has been able to draw a good audience here. Like you I'm very excited to see a live race next weekend.
 
It was a few weeks ago(Sept. 17/18), glad you liked it.👍

Amazing how a series with no real connection to the U.S. other than parent companies has been able to draw a good audience here. Like you I'm very excited to see a live race next weekend.

I'm also glad Speed is finally growing some balls and broadcasting something other than NASCAR and crappy low budget shows.. If only I could get Speed2..
 
The #77 Shannons/Mars Bathurst wildcard entry will be driven by Grant Denyer ... and a seventeen-year-old kid named Cameron Waters.

Who won a reality TV program to get the drive.

With just two days' experience driving the car.

Which he had to share with his co-driver.

In the fifth entry of a four-car team that only has enough resources for three cars.

At the longest and most difficult race in the country.

One week from today.
 
Well, the New Zealanders (New Zealandites?) are considering a few venues: according to this article, they're looking at Whenuapai airfield, north-west of Auckland (which I believe was the preferred venue for a New Zealand race before Pukekohe). The Auckland city council is also considering a city-based street circuit of their own, or a return to Pukekohe. But Whenuapai seems to be the popular choice. The only problem is that it has to be a 3.5km circuit, and it cannot use the main runway, so there's not a lot that can be done. This was te best I could do.
So I gather a V8 Supercar track neds to be at least 3.5 km in lap length? Does Pukekohe meet this requirement in either form?
 
Adelaide Street Circuit 3.2km
Hamilton 3.4km
Barbagello 2.4km
Winton 3.0km
Hidden Valley 2.87km
Townsville 2.85km
Queensland Raceway 3.1km
Gold Coast 2.96km
Symmons Plain 2.4km
Sydney 3.4km

Not quite sure why it would need to be bigger that 3.5km
 
I'm pretty sure 3.5km is the maximum for V8 Supercar circuits, with certain exceptions. Bathurst is 6.2km, Phillip Island 4.4km and Yas Marina 4.7km. When the series goes to America, hopefully they'll use the full 5.5km Circuit of the Americas layout.

Anyway, there are some more special Bathurst liveries being launched - including these absolutely fantastic Jim Beam Black and Jim Beam Bonded ones that they will apparently use for the rest of the season:

liverylarge.jpg


Now, that's a livery. Fabian Coulthard is also getting a special design, for Bundaberg Five:

Coulthard.jpg


Orrcon Steel is celebrating ten years' sponsorship with a special livery of their own, but it's much mroe subtle than the others:

OrrconSteel_Bathurst_Livery_front_Med.jpg


I really want to see those Jim Beam cars do well.
 
Silver and black always looks good 👍
 
Indeed. Although the NEW WHITE RUM on the bonnet of the Bundaberg Commodore ruins it. The Jim Beam Black design is how you do it.
 
The #77 Shannons/Mars Bathurst wildcard entry will be driven by Grant Denyer ... and a seventeen-year-old kid named Cameron Waters.

Who won a reality TV program to get the drive.

With just two days' experience driving the car.

Which he had to share with his co-driver.

In the fifth entry of a four-car team that only has enough resources for three cars.

At the longest and most difficult race in the country.

One week from today.
I hope Denyer is starting because I dare say that'll be his only drive on sunday

I pray v8s don't go to Taupo. Sure it's a neat track but it's so boring there
 
I think Waters was a political appointment to the team.

Apparently Kelly Racing is very unhappy with David Reynolds at the moment; it's said that a couple of teams are seriously looking at him for 2012, but the Kellys feel that Reynolds is the future of the team. However, Reynolds doesn't really have the loyalty to Kelly Racing that the team could use to their advantage; he got his start in the Fujitsu Series with Tony D'Alberto Racing, and in V8 Supercars with Walkinshaw Performance. He might have returned to V8s (after a second season in Fujitsu) with Kelly Racing, but he doesn't really owe them a lot in the loyalty stakes.

Cameron Waters, on the other hand, it getting his V8 debut with a car run out of the Kelly Racing garage. He's young, and he's got the potential to have a career in the sport - but the Kellys want someone they can use to be more popular with fans. If you watched the "Shannons Supercar Showdown", a lot of it was centred around how the Kelly Brothers are awesome. They really want to be seen as the most awesome team on the grid, and they no doubt feel they can use someone like Waters to get that. Waters has already said he'd like to start racing full-time with them in the future.

Really, they should stop worrying about their image and start concentrating on their results.
 
I hope Denyer is starting because I dare say that'll be his only drive on sunday
I'd be much happier with Denyer not driving at all. The less Channel 7 personalities at the big race, the better. We (the Aussies, that is) all know how 7 love to get their Better Homes & Gardens crew and whatnot involved some roving reporting. Ugh. :sick:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back