Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,113 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly racing is a very fickle team. I dislike them for their politics. I can imagine Reynolds in a GRM car or even HRT, he has a lot to offer the sport, not strictly Kelly Racing.

awwww what's wrong with Grant "Mad Dog" Denyer, Jackington? hahaha
 
Kelly racing is a very fickle team. I dislike them for their politics.
Yeah, they've made some bizarre decisions in the past. But if you bear in mind that everything they do is designed to make them "popular", it all makes sense.
 
I think Waters was a political appointment to the team.

Cameron Waters, on the other hand, it getting his V8 debut with a car run out of the Kelly Racing garage. He's young, and he's got the potential to have a career in the sport - but the Kellys want someone they can use to be more popular with fans. If you watched the "Shannons Supercar Showdown", a lot of it was centred around how the Kelly Brothers are awesome. They really want to be seen as the most awesome team on the grid, and they no doubt feel they can use someone like Waters to get that. Waters has already said he'd like to start racing full-time with them in the future.

Really, they should stop worrying about their image and start concentrating on their results.


Only saw bits and pieces of this and truthfully was wholly unimpressed. Just another reality show IMO. I see it as a PR exercise and not much else. Don't get me wrong, hope the kid does well but up there, in the sort of company he'll be in, well... ;)

"Most awesome team" As far as endurance racing goes, Team Vodaphone are awesome, KBR, not even in the same league I believe.

Edit: Jackington, Don't forget the ads for BHAG as well... ;) :D:D
 
Rain comes in for last 3 cars, Murphys on pole.

Wow.

Doesn't mean , much for the race but wow what a distaster for the 3 fastest people from Qualifying
 
"Most awesome team" As far as endurance racing goes, Team Vodaphone are awesome, KBR, not even in the same league I believe.
Ah, but they don't see awesomeness as being based in results. They see awesomeness in the way they are perceived by audiences and spectators. They probably couldn't care less if they came last in every race - if they sold the most merchandise and had the most people supporting them, they'd be happy.
 
In other words Kelly Racing want to be the coolest team, not necessarily the best.
 
Yes. Except they thing being the "coolest" team means that they will be the best. I suspect Rick Kelly was the driving force behind this.
 
Garth Tander / Nick Percat win the Bathurst 1000 for Toll Holden Racing Team!

Great race with loads of action, came down to the last lap with Craig Lowndes hunting down Tander, finishing margin was .29X.

Highlight for me was Jamie Whincup having an alternator failure resulting in him finishing 21st which puts Craig Lowndes in the championship lead! I get sick of seeing Lowndes play second fiddle to Whincup. It would be huge for him to get another championship title.
 
Really wish Lowndes could have mustered the win. He would have won had he not been held back 3-4 times in the pits while whincup was serviced. Think I read somewhere he overtook 30-40 cars in the race to make up the places he kept losing through the pits.

Hopefully he can win the title. Definitely deserves it
 
J-PaP
Really wish Lowndes could have mustered the win. He would have won had he not been held back 3-4 times in the pits while whincup was serviced. Think I read somewhere he overtook 30-40 cars in the race to make up the places he kept losing through the pits.

Hopefully he can win the title. Definitely deserves it

Craig lowndes would of won but he was unlucky but im so happy gt and nick won Both great men, what a way to finish your first race nick!
 
If Percat doesn't get an offer for next year, Ford should try and get him into the #55 Bottle-O entry. Let's see how much Holden like it when Ford poach their talented drivers.
 
Really wish Lowndes could have mustered the win. He would have won had he not been held back 3-4 times in the pits while whincup was serviced. Think I read somewhere he overtook 30-40 cars in the race to make up the places he kept losing through the pits.

Hopefully he can win the title. Definitely deserves it

I think Lowndes could have won it, had Wincup not held him up with the Alternator problem lap he had. Lowndes probably lost three to four Track positions because Wincup would not let people past. Kinda serves Triple8 for being idiots.
 
made me angry how Whincup held them up BUT I also praised hime for it as it allowed Mighty Murph to get up to second haha
 
Since Dan Wheldon's death this weekend, the series has had to find a few new drivers for the Gold Coast. GT1 driver Darren Turner will take Wheldon's place at HRT, while Will Power has been ruled unfit to race, and will be replaced by Richard Lyons (who partnered Jonathon Webb for the Island and Mount Panorama) at FPR. Tony Kanaan has decided not to compete at Surfers' Paradise out of respect for Wheldon, so Allan Simonsen will partner Jason Bargwanna. As far as we know, Helio Castroneves, Alex Tagliani, Ryan Briscoe and part-timers Sebastien Bourdais and Simon Pagenaud will all race.
 
Rod Nash (The Bottle-O Racing) reckons there is no local talent to replace Paul Dumbrell (he was interested in David Reynolds, but backed off when Kelly Racing put his foot down), and will be willing to offer any international driver who impresses this weekend with a contract for 2012. He's talking up the idea of an older international driver with experience in touring cars ... and Stone Brothers have Emanuele Pirro on their roster this wekeend. Pirro has close ties to Audi, and with the series trying to get new manufactuers interested in the Car of the Future ... well, you can see where I'm going with this.
 
Massively disappointed with the results this weekend.

Lowndes finally gets the championship lead at bathurst and lead by 100 points... Qualifying for race 21 and Lowndes car has problems and then it rains so he end up starting 15th. Car has issues all race and he DNF's!! Jamie Whincup wins the race and pulls 150 points on Lowndes regaining the lead.

Race 22 and Lowndes is running 2nd, they have to pit under safety car and Lowndes loses out big time as he has to queue up behind Whincup he ends up finishing 20th... Lowndes had a 100 point buffer he could have managed that until the end of the year if he had consistent results I can't believe the luck he had..

And the new chicane cutting system designed to stop people from cutting completely failed. Everyone was cutting the chicanes and they eventually stopped monitoring it which was a complete joke. Huge disappointment this is usually one of the best rounds of the year.
 
I know. I stopped watching about forty laps from the end.
 
I heard Paul Dumbrell threw his toys out of the pram at SVG... I think he's mad
 
... For what? Van Gisbergen wasn't involved in the crash that put Dumbrell and Klien out of the race.
 
I have no idea. If you can decipher what Dumbrell's problem with him is from this article, I would like to know...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/5835960/Kiwi-driver-cops-an-earful-from-Aussie-rival

Kiwi Shane Van Gisbergen is one of the most disliked drivers in the Australian V8 Supercar championship – according to Australian rival Pauol Dumbrell.

In a fiery start to this weekend's Gold Coast 600, young New Zealander Van Gisbergen was verbally threatened by Dumbrell following a collision in a practice session.

Van Gisbergen drove into the back of Dumbrell, reputedly prompting the Australian to storm into the Ford drivers' garage where he "tore strips" off the rising star – even threatening to send him into a concrete wall.

"I did front him and had a few words with him," Dumbrell told Australia's Daily Telegraph.

"To be honest, it is probably 10 seconds of my life I will never get back because he is like speaking to a brick wall. It was a waste of time."

A clearly fired-up Dumbrell then went on to claim Van Gisbergen has a cavalier and arrogant attitude – which few of the other drivers like.

"He [Van Gisbergen] knows what everyone up and down the pit-lane thinks of him," Dumbrell said. "He doesn't want to listen and he does not want to learn."

The incident follows a collision between the same two drivers in the previous round at Bathurst.

"What happened this morning is one of many," Dumbrell said. "And there was no need for it. We were in practice and he shouldn't have got frustrated. You don't go punting people in practice because you think you were held up.

"We have been on the end of his serve-ups all year and it is very frustrating.

"He was penalised for an incident at Bathurst but he still doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. He just won't change."

Dumbrell said Van Gisbergen refused to apologise.

"He said you have two mirrors so why don't you use them," he said.
 
It sounds like they just had a coming-together in practice, and Dumbrell lost his cool over it. I know Garth Tander once nicknamed van Gisbergen the "serial pest" for his rough driving (conveniently forgetting his own rough-and-tumble style when he first entered the category).
 
:lol: Clearly these guys are just threatened by our young kiwi star...

SVG is the man, we all know he's very talented and he is a clean racer. Dumbrell is a joke, what has he achieved in the V8Supercars?
 
I just managed to catch the race repeat and it's stupid. It started with Boris Said going over the curb for more than 6 times in a row yet I believe he didn't receive a black flag. Others were that a lot of them has got a drive through and made it. About halfway, they shut down the system and no drivers willing to take the drive through. Nobody was happy with it and from what I saw Andy Priaulx looked very upset!

What a waste of a great race...
 
I just managed to catch the race repeat and it's stupid. It started with Boris Said going over the curb for more than 6 times in a row yet I believe he didn't receive a black flag.
It was because he was actually going to the left of the sensor instead of the right. They never recorded him doing it because the sensor never recorded a car passing.
 
It was because he was actually going to the left of the sensor instead of the right. They never recorded him doing it because the sensor never recorded a car passing.

That is ridiculous. No wonder drivers were fuming for that... Hopefully next year they will revise the chicanes. What happened to the tyre like obstacle? I know it caused a lot of damage to the car if a driver hits it but wouldn't that be a much better solution to avoid drivers cutting the chicane?
 
The idea was that tyre bundles were causing damage to cars, and being removed from their anchorings and causing unnecessary safety cars, so they hit upon the idea of using a sensor and a bollard to mark the apex of the corner. It wasn't a problem on Saturday, but the Sunday support races knocked the bollards out of the back chicanes. This had been an issue on Saturday, when the bollard at the first chicane was removed. Because the drivers - and particularly the internationals who are used to driving on the left - cannot see the apex of the corner as they get close to it, VESA decided to shut the censors off; they didn't want to be penalising people for infringements that they could not see, or because they made a mistake going into the chicane and had to abort. They were no doubt expecting the drivers to operate on an honesty system, but as soon as the sensors were turned off, drivers started abusing it. All they had to do is claim they were making mistakes and had to abort or risk crashing, and the stewards' job would get that much harder. It's embarrassing for the series because these are professional racing drivers we're takling about, but given half a chance to gain an advantage by breaking the rules, they took it. The bollard-and-sensor system is good in theory, and with a few refinements it will not be a problem in future ... but it was just embararssing to watch drivers ignore the corners.
 
Great explanation mate, on Saturday I thought the bollards did its job, well obviously it did until drivers started to run over them, getting lose and such...

I think what I'd do is to use a strong but flexible bollard (I think it's being used in many countires on the road). If somebody hit the bollard, it would apply some pressure and force and since there's a sensor in it, it will keep the stewards on alert. Just what I thought though...
 
They can't make the bollard too strong, because they will damage the car. But they can't make it too loose, because it will come out easily.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back