Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,113 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps use the old one, but make the base stronger to avoid it getting loose or snap. Let's just wait and see what they'll do next year. Seems like we can't trust the honesty of drivers :lol:
 
I prefer the new system compared to the tyre bundle as people constantly crash into it damaging their cars and causing safety cars, but It needs to be done properly.

The system must recognise any car that misses the corner, and they must be penalised if they do it on purpose like we saw. I lost all respect for Boris Said after that race, he was the one who seemed to start it all, we were all watching him do it and even the commentators couldn't believe it yet he never got penalised? Race control are watching the race too I can't believe they missed it.

At the end of the day these guys shouldn't be cutting the corners in the first place. How about that guy who told one of the Internationals to turn around when there was a car coming and they crashed! What an idiot... I bet he had another idiot who told him to tell the driver to go :lol:
 
How about that guy who told one of the Internationals to turn around when there was a car coming and they crashed! What an idiot... I bet he had another idiot who told him to tell the driver to go :lol:

I'm still waiting to see the replay but during the in race replay I believe the guy told Morbidelli to spin the car around right about there and not going towards the corner. Because I believe the guy's finger is doing something like 'spin'...

Watch at about 2:14 in the video..



Not completely his or the guy's fault anyway.
 
Last edited:
It was an awkward situation, and it would have been pretty hard/impossible to spin the car round where he was.
 
I'm still waiting to see the replay but during the in race replay I believe the guy told Morbidelli to spin the car around right about there and not going towards the corner. Because I believe the guy's finger is doing something like 'spin'...
I would have thought if he had to head towards the corner, he would have driven to the run off area and not to a blind apex. As above though, very awkward situation.

With regards to the corner cutting, maybe they should pour oil on the tarmac behind the curbing:lol: See who cuts the chicanes then:trouble:
 
With regards to the corner cutting, maybe they should pour oil on the tarmac behind the curbing:lol: See who cuts the chicanes then:trouble:

That's brilliant, absolutely brilliant! :lol:

I would have thought if he had to head towards the corner, he would have driven to the run off area and not to a blind apex. As above though, very awkward situation.

Yeah I think I'll agree, just very awkward. That's the fate of racing on a street circuit. It's tight, poor visibility and mistakes will happen anywhere. Enough of pointing finger to Morbidelli or the marshall though because simply we have absolutely no idea who gave the instruction etc.

Say that both of their races were meant to end in that way. Now does anyone think the pit exit is a bit dangerous? I think there was a little incident in Race 2 where there was a car coming out of the pit, joining in the middle of a battling pack. Almost caused a massive incident there... Or is it just me looking at it wrong?
 
Russell Ingall has officially joined Walkinshaw Performance for 2012, replacing Fabian Coulthard. Supercheap Auto will go with him, and Bundaberg Rum will stop their sponsorship. The car will be numbered #74, since the first Supercheap store opened in 1974.
 
Looking highly likely that I'll be at Sandown at least on the Saturday :D :D
 
It appears that Paul Morris Motorsport is disbanding. If approved by VESA, one of their RECs will be leased out to Jonathon Webb's Tekno Autosports, and the other will go to Dick Johnson Racing, who are expected to absorb Dean Fiore's Triple F Racing and become a four-car operation. It appears that both PMM's cars will go to Tekno, who will either put their Falcon on the market to Fujitsu runners, or give it to DJR. Steven Owen is expected to go to DJR with the PMM REC.

Also, Tim Slade and Will Davison have found a perfect replica of Adam West's Batomobile:

Bat-phone.jpg
 
More importantly, does this mean no more Paul Morris turning up on the grid at the endurance rounds? :D
 
It depends on whether he is signed on as an endurance driver or not.
 
I was under the impression no one really likes him and the only reason he got drives was because he owned the team. :p
 
Nah, they just feel that he's too aggressive.
 
How did Whincup not get a penalty for an unsafe release from his pit? Anyone else would've been stapled to the wall for that.
 
How did Whincup not get a penalty for an unsafe release from his pit? Anyone else would've been stapled to the wall for that.

I thought that myself, but commentators said rules were changed to allow a little rubbing. Bad rule change in my opinion.
 
I thought that myself, but commentators said rules were changed to allow a little rubbing. Bad rule change in my opinion.

Agreed, he really should have had a drive-though penatly for that.
 
DJR has officially become a three-car team. Dean Fiore has shut Triple F Racing down, and joined Dick Johnson. He'll drive car #18, with James Moffat moving to the newly-acquired third car (which currently has no number), possibly with Norton 360 backing. This is probably because they want to hold onto Moffat, but the lease on the #18 REC expires at the end of 2012, and the owner - Charlie Schwerkolt - is unlikely to sell it to DJR after their dispute in the middle of 2010.
 
Just read on Facebook that the 2013 "Car of the Future" cars are being unveiled today by Ford and Holden at 8:30am local time. Anyone got more info?
 
cotf.jpg
 
So what happened to the rumours of Mercedes joining? Is it still a possibility? I think it's been discussed here that Team Vodafone might be making a switch to Mercedes..?
 
It's a possibility, yes. But so far, no manufacturer has confirmed involvement from 2013.
 
It's a possibility, yes. But so far, no manufacturer has confirmed involvement from 2013.

Hmm, Dodge Charger anyone? :sly:

They certainly look the same, but it's what's inside that counts. Looking forward to them coming to the states.
 
Hmm, Dodge Charger anyone?
Only if it can comply with COTF regulations. Manufacturers will only get involved in the series if the cars resemble their own line-ups. The problem with the Charger is that it is not sold in Australia (as far as I know - I've never seen one), so it would be a costly exercise to prepare Chargers for racing. Manufacturers do not actually run the V8 teams themselves; they bid to third parties to run their cars.

That said, the race format for the planned American round has not been revealed. I would not be surprised if VESA make wildcard entries available to American teams, and then try to get ALMS or NASCAR teams to build or buy a COTF chassis just for the race (making the cars left-hand drive for local drivers would make them much more competitive). The problem with this is that it would be good for one race per season, and therefore expensive. However, I think VESA are trying to export the series; we have V8 Supercars Australia, but I think they're angling for a V8 Supercars Asia and V8 Supercars America - particularly since they're pushing out into international rounds, have appointing people to hold international administration positions, and the teams are looking to find buyers for the 2011 and 2012 cars since they'll be ineligible to run from 2013. That's what I think this big push into America is: an attempt to establish a spin-off series as V8 Supercars America since the United States has a whole lot of road courses, but no real road course series; as we all know, NASCAR runs almost exclusively on ovals. Just imagine if you have your own V8 Supercar series with a calendar like this (in no particular order):

- Infineon Raceway
- Laguna Seca
- Circuit of the Americas
- Barber Motorsport Park
- Indianapolis Road Course
- Homestead-Miami Road Course
- Watkins Glen
- Mid-Ohio
- Miller Motorsport Park
- Portland
- Road Atlanta
- Sebring
- Elkhart Lake
- Long Beach
- Port Imperial

Fifteen rounds, just like the Australian calendar (though Long Beach and Port Imperial would probably have to be support acts for other races). And entries in V8 Supercars America would be elegible to run in the Australian endurance races. I think that's the intention of VESA: to get an international series up and running, either in America or Asia.

They certainly look the same, but it's what's inside that counts.
Ironically enough, you've got it almost completely backwards. The internal workings of both cars are very similar - it's the bodywork that is the biggest point of difference between the two makes. The whole idea behind the Car of the Future program is to keep costs down by making the internal workings of both cars largely similar and very interchangeable. It's born out of the current system, where only a handful of teams actually prepare their own race cars. I think Triple Eight, Dick Johnson, Stone Brothers, Ford Performance Racing and HRT are the only teams that build cars. Everyone else buys cars from those teams. The problem is that they can usually only afford a second-hand chassis, which is naturally less-competitive (as is the case with Kelly Racing - two of their cars are current-generation, and the other two are second-hand). The Car of the Future is designed to make competitive cars more affordable.

Looking forward to them coming to the states.
Well, the Circuit of the Americas needs to be built first. If they lose the Grand Prix contract, the circuit won't get finished. However, I would expect that the V8s would just go elsewhere in America.
 
Ironically enough, you've got it almost completely backwards. The internal workings of both cars are very similar - it's the bodywork that is the biggest point of difference between the two makes. The whole idea behind the Car of the Future program is to keep costs down by making the internal workings of both cars largely similar and very interchangeable.

I was talking about in comparison to the current car.
 
It's getting tense now in Sydney! Whincup is out of race 1 with a broken damper.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back