Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,108 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Infiniti M would make the most sense, rwd V8 sedan plus a good way to highlight the return of Infiniti in Australia, but we'll see.
 
I was in a chatroom with Craig Lowndes in V8 Supercars Live earlier today. He doesn't seem to know anything about any confirmation of new manufacturers to join but Team Vodafone as he said will stay with Holden. For how long? No idea...

EDIT: There you go, Nissan confirmed joining with a four-car works entry run by Kelly Racing. Rick and Todd will drive 2 of them with Karl and Greg completing the Nissan line up...
 
Last edited:
EDIT: There you go, Nissan confirmed joining with a four-car works entry run by Kelly Racing.
That's not confirmation. That's just Autosport reporting what has been said elsewhere. It won't be confirmation until someone from Nissan, VESA or Kelly Racing says "Nissan is joining V8 Supercars in 2013".
 
Although not confirmation, it's all over the net. I would be surprised if this isn't the case.
 
Well, your post suggested that because it has been posted all over the internet, it had to be true.
 
...suggesting that it might be true. I just said I would be surprised if it isn't. Nowhere did I say it confirms anything. :confused:
 
Well, your post suggested that because it has been posted all over the internet, it had to be true.

That's not how I read it... :indiff:
 
It's certainly good news for the category, if it is indeed a new manafacturer announcement. Let's face it, Holden and Ford aren't doing so well right now and have pulled alot of money out. A new brand is exactly what's needed to inject some cash into the series. The COTF program should also mean even closer racing, with the tighter regulations...

While I don't like believing internet romours, the Nissan one is pretty strong. Personally, I'm suprised that Chrysler hasn't made an official announcement yet. Who knows though? Maybe they will at 11am today :sly:
 
I heard this rumour back in '08 or '09 in Channel 7 broadcast, so i'm glad Nissan keeps their word. :)
I kinda saw it coming, when they started using Nissan as SC. Waiting for the next-gen rules was obvious step then.
 
Well I was going to watch the live news feed, but the computer at work needs to install Microsoft Silverlight and I don't have the password to do it. :(

Edit: It's official, Nissan joining in 2013. Car to be announced later.
 
Last edited:
Edit: It's official, Nissan joining in 2013. Car to be announced later.

Very exciting news, I imagine the car will probably be revealed at Bathurst later in the year. I can't wait to see how it looks.
 
In case anyone has missed it, this has been a huge week (or two) for Nissan. So far they have announced:

- European GT Academy winners plans
- Most Nissan powered LMP cars at LeMans this year
- NASA Spec 350Z series
- Partnership with Grand Am Series
- Continental Challenge Entries
- Partnership to run GT-R's in the World Challenge GT Class
- Return to V8 supercars in 2013

Crazy. :crazy:
 
I'm anticipating a further announcement from them, where they unveil a new engine with a whine that sounds just like Rick Kelly. That's the only way this decision makes sense.
 
It makes perfect sense. Enter an Infiniti G-something in the series and watch the market recognition soar, especially in Australia.
 
If someone came up to me and said "Hey, you should buy an Infiniti G - Rick Kelly races one", it's not going to make me want to buy an Infiniti G. It's going to make me want to burn the nearest Infiniti dealership down.
 
Sounds to me like you just have serious hate for Rick Kelly...
 
Sounds to me like you just have serious hate for Rick Kelly...

No kidding. Or just a bad attitude to begin with. He must be one of those "it should only be ford and holden" people I saw on facebook. :lol:
 
Hah, the Facebook comments are gold. Hopefully the bogans who are so against Nissan do give up on the series, it'll make attending the events even better for us civilised people!
 
^This. I never give this series much more than a strong passing glance as it became increasingly degraded by and is now synonymous with the unemployed and toothless pub brawling hicks.

I hope that Nissan use a new in-house engine.
 
I wonder, am I the only Aussie motorsport fan who finds it slightly ironic that Nissan should return to Australian Touring Car racing with a pack of ****holes?
 
He must be one of those "it should only be ford and holden" people I saw on facebook. :lol:
Not at all. I welcome new entries. I'd be more than happy to see Chrysler, Hyundai and Audi - all of whom I have heard rumours about - entering the category, and I think that the Holden vs. Ford rivalry has not been enough to sustain the sport for a long while now. I just think that, as the sport's newest manufacturer, Nissan is going to need someone who is marketable and appropriate as a brand ambassador. And I think Rick Kelly is neither. Since you're American I'm guessing you didn't see the "Shannons Supercar Showdown", where Kelly Racing basically ran a reality television show with the prize being a Bathurst drive. But half of the show seemed to be incredibly self-indulgent, as if to stress just how awesome and cool the Kelly brothers are. They're obsessed with their image (as opposed to their results), desperate to come across as the trendy team that everyone loves.

The only way Nissan could have mis-stepped any more was to launch a new model called the "Fidelity" and have Tiger Woods endorse it.
 
That's not confirmation. That's just Autosport reporting what has been said elsewhere. It won't be confirmation until someone from Nissan, VESA or Kelly Racing says "Nissan is joining V8 Supercars in 2013".

I may have been too ambitious with my comment but when it said ''Nissan will become the first manufacturer other than Ford or Holden..'' and ''The deal, which is scheduled to be announced in Melbourne on Thursday morning..'' assisted by the talk of having that massive announcement, together that the news has already been everywhere on the internet is good enough to granted me saying it as a confirmed news. Again, I may have been ambitious but I think it's all confirmed now...
 
In case anyone has missed it, this has been a huge week (or two) for Nissan. So far they have announced:

- European GT Academy winners plans
- Most Nissan powered LMP cars at LeMans this year
- NASA Spec 350Z series
- Partnership with Grand Am Series
- Continental Challenge Entries
- Partnership to run GT-R's in the World Challenge GT Class
- Return to V8 supercars in 2013

Crazy. :crazy:

Holy crap, why did I not hear about this?

I wonder if the cars will share any DNA with the new Nismo GT3 or the old GT1? I would think that some data is gonna be pumped from one of those two into the new car. I also wonder how the Brass Monkey team feels about bigger, badder and faster GT-R's entering the grid and stealing the spotlight?

Cool stuff either way and it's good to see a Manufacturer support racing from the bottom up, rather than just at the top.

Off topic, right... it's great to see another manufacturer added to what I think is one of the most exciting touring-car series in the world. I love when V8 Supercars comes on Speed... even if it is at 1 in the morning.
 
Last edited:
Pretty sure I posted it in the World Challenge thread, which hasn't received much attention. Pretty cool though, and they don't have a driver for the 2nd car yet, so I'm hoping that Bryan get's a shot at the seat.

As far as today's announcement, people may not like the first team to sign up with Nissan, but they have to remember that it's just the first team, and there's still a year to go before their debut. Plenty of time for other teams to sign on.
 
It makes perfect sense. Enter an Infiniti G-something in the series and watch the market recognition soar, especially in Australia.

I think they could enter the Infiniti G35/37 Sedan but neither of them have a history of V8 engine. Could they somehow use the V8 found in the Infiniti M or perhaps get a purpose built engine instead?
 
Plenty of time for other teams to sign on.
Simon McNamara - who runs Holden's motorsport division - has previously said that there is "nothing" in V8 Supercars for other manufacturers. With the four Kelly Racing cars moving to Nissan, Holden will have just two more cars on the grid than Ford (instead of the six they currently have). And with talk that Garry Rogers Motorsport could use Chryslers, the Holden-Ford split, which McNamara puts a lot of stock in, will be even. So right now, I'm willing to bet that he is visiting all of the Holden teams, making promises to them to get them to stay with Holden in 2013.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back