Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Archive

  • Thread starter Thread starter DRIFT4EVA
  • 13,819 comments
  • 784,120 views

Holden or Ford

  • Holden

    Votes: 209 36.2%
  • Ford

    Votes: 175 30.3%
  • Ford and Holden

    Votes: 64 11.1%
  • Nismo

    Votes: 74 12.8%
  • Erebus

    Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

    Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

    Votes: 43 7.4%

  • Total voters
    578
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure I posted it in the World Challenge thread, which hasn't received much attention. Pretty cool though, and they don't have a driver for the 2nd car yet, so I'm hoping that Bryan get's a shot at the seat.

As far as today's announcement, people may not like the first team to sign up with Nissan, but they have to remember that it's just the first team, and there's still a year to go before their debut. Plenty of time for other teams to sign on.

I see that now, but you have to understand that GT Planet is not my sole, nor my primary source of information regarding racing news. Add that with the fact that World Challenge hasn't been on my radar lately and you can see how I'm surprised.


As for V8 Supercars, I hope Nissan isn't the last marque to join the fray. I'd love to see Mercedes and/or Chrysler (as well as any other brands) join the party. It'd make the American round even more interesting, not to mention relevant.


Simon McNamara - who runs Holden's motorsport division - has previously said that there is "nothing" in V8 Supercars for other manufacturers. With the four Kelly Racing cars moving to Nissan, Holden will have just two more cars on the grid than Ford (instead of the six they currently have). And with talk that Garry Rogers Motorsport could use Chryslers, the Holden-Ford split, which McNamara puts a lot of stock in, will be even. So right now, I'm willing to bet that he is visiting all of the Holden teams, making promises to them to get them to stay with Holden in 2013.

This seems like a fairly foolish mindset for him to take.
 
Actually, I doubt that they'll enter the Infiniti G35/37 because that car seems to have a shorter wheelbase compared to the Falcon and Commodore. I also discovered something from Wikipedia that both currently being used FG Falcon and VE Commodore wheelbase has been shortened to an unknown figure (by me).
 
This seems like a fairly foolish mindset for him to take.
McNamara tends to treat V8 Supercars as Holden's personal property. He sets a lot of stock in his success, which is what you'd expect given that the sport forms a substantial part of Australian motorsport culture, but it's the way he goes about it that is all wrong.

Actually, I doubt that they'll enter the Infiniti G35/37 because that car seems to have a shorter wheelbase compared to the Falcon and Commodore.
Nissan will probably use the Maxima, the Altima, or possibly the Infiniti M37.
 
Plenty of time for other teams to sign on.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the smaller teams jump ship to Nissan, nobody knows how competitive the cars will be but if Nissan manages to produce cars that hold some form of advantage over the Ford and Holden dinosaurs, whether it be in outright speed or tyre life etc, then it's a massive win for the smaller outfits that tend to hang around the tail end of the field. Such teams have nothing to lose - at worst they'll still be where they are now compared to the major teams, at best they'll be right in the thick of things for a change. I don't know exactly what in the CotF is going to be standardised between manufacturers, but I'm sure there will be performance differences in the cars to some extent.

I think they could enter the Infiniti G35/37 Sedan but neither of them have a history of V8 engine. Could they somehow use the V8 found in the Infiniti M or perhaps get a purpose built engine instead?
I actually think it'll be the Infiniti M instead and not a G-series with an M-based V8 - the G is some 200-300mm shorter than a VE Commodore and FG Falcon, while the M is virtually the same size (4.8-4.9m). Plus as you say the G has never used a V8 engine whereas the M is available with a 5.6.
 
Do they max out the grid now? No reason why new teams couldn't come in, they don't all have to be current teams switching over. If needed, I'm sure they could enlarge the grid size.
 
Do they max out the grid now? No reason why new teams couldn't come in, they don't all have to be current teams switching over. If needed, I'm sure they could enlarge the grid size.

They spent years whittling the grids down from 40-plus down to the current 28 or so. I don't see them expanding the grid again.
 
Nissan will probably use the Maxima, the Altima, or possibly the Infiniti M37.

I actually think it'll be the Infiniti M instead and not a G-series with an M-based V8 - the G is some 200-300mm shorter than a VE Commodore and FG Falcon, while the M is virtually the same size (4.8-4.9m). Plus as you say the G has never used a V8 engine whereas the M is available with a 5.6.

Yeah, I agree because the Maxima, the Altima and the Infiniti M all have about the same length/wheelbase (4.8 - 4.9+m).

The current V8 Spec. FG Falcon and VE Commodore all have a shortened wheelbase as the VE Commodore has to comply with the older BF Falcon and then the FG Falcon has to comply with the VE Commodore later. The current V8 Spec. wheelbase is not known as to how long.

Has anybody got any idea if the COTF Falcon and Commodore both have reverted back to their original production car length or of the current one? The talk of Nissan car selection can go on forever.. :indiff:
 
Any reason to think that since they are waiting to announce the car, that it could be something completely new?
 
Yeah, I agree because the Maxima, the Altima and the Infiniti M all have about the same length/wheelbase (4.8 - 4.9+m).
The Maxima and Altima are both front drive and neither come with a V8 (obviously) so I doubt Nissan will be using either of those models as a base - a RWD racing Maxima with a 650hp 5.0L V8 is about as irrelevant to anything as you can possibly get. If I was a gambling man I'd say it'll either be an Infinity M or the GT-R coverted to RWD and using an enlarged version of the Super GT GT500 3.4 V8 - they'd be a bit more likely to start with a base they already have and modify it for the series (GT500 GT-R) than start completely from scratch; if you already have the parts, why not use them?
 
...the GT-R coverted to RWD and using an enlarged version of the Super GT GT500 3.4 V8 - they'd be a bit more likely to start with a base they already have and modify it for the series (GT500 GT-R) than start completely from scratch; if you already have the parts, why not use them?

Nope, V8 Supercar rules still say 4 door is a must 👍
The cars will still feature V8 engines, rear-wheel drive and four doors. They'll also continue to make the same roar and be just as fast, if not actually faster. Currently, the chassis beneath the skin of the Falcon and Commodore are all extremely similar, with the next step being a control chassis — it's cheaper and is also aimed at making it easier for other potential manufacturers to build a V8 Supercar.

From here...http://www.v8supercars.com.au/techn...nerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx
Which is actually a great read if you have 10 minutes to kill :)
 
The Maxima and Altima are both front drive and neither come with a V8 (obviously) so I doubt Nissan will be using either of those models as a base - a RWD racing Maxima with a 650hp 5.0L V8 is about as irrelevant to anything as you can possibly get. If I was a gambling man I'd say it'll either be an Infinity M or the GT-R coverted to RWD and using an enlarged version of the Super GT GT500 3.4 V8 - they'd be a bit more likely to start with a base they already have and modify it for the series (GT500 GT-R) than start completely from scratch; if you already have the parts, why not use them?

Oh, silly me. They're FWD but should't the regulation says they must be all 4 door saloon? The GTR is a coupe...

If they're not allowed to make any conversion, the Infiniti M is where I put my money regardless of whatever engine that they want to use. Perhaps as what R1600Turbo said, something new to come. Not sure...

EDIT: Tree'd by MrDinosaw94. Thanks mate for bringing in more awesome info!
 
Last edited:
Mark Skaife reckons there could be "two or three more" manufacturers joining V8 Supercars in 2013, and that the unveiling of the Car of the Future prototypes in Sydney last year accelerated interest from manufactuers.

Do they max out the grid now? No reason why new teams couldn't come in, they don't all have to be current teams switching over. If needed, I'm sure they could enlarge the grid size.
V8 Supercars Australia thinks that 28 cars is the best number of the cars for the grid - but there are four extra Racing Entitlement Contracts being held in reserve, mostly because VESA aren't satisifed that smaller teams can survive. However, the new manufacturer(s) might change that. The manufacturers themselves don't actually hold RECs; they pay the teams to use their cars. So, they can expand existing teams by offering more money. For example, Chrysler is believed to be in talks with Garry Rogers Motorsport, which runs two cars. If Chrysler wanted GRM to expand their operations and was willing to foot the bill, then GRM could either establish a satellite team or expand to a three-car operation with an existing REC. But if none of the current RECs are available, VESA might free up one or two of the four in reserve so that GRM can run more cars.

Any reason to think that since they are waiting to announce the car, that it could be something completely new?
I don't know of any new models that are planned.
 
prisonermonkeys
I don't know of any new models that are planned.

No surprise, don't think anyone would. Car markers do have secrets. ;)

Edit: V8 supercars just posted the announcement video and the Nissan guy said the car is an "all new sedan". I'm on my phone or I'd post the link.
 
Last edited:
Indeed it is, that completely slipped my mind at the time :O
I think it would be very poorly-received if Nissan used the GT-R, even if it were legal. When they were racing twenty yeas ago, they used the R32, and that was very unpopular (least of all with Ford and Holden; their rivalry was manufactured to stop other companies from entering and winning). To enter with the car that is the spiritual successor to the Skyline would not go over well.
 
I think it would be very poorly-received if Nissan used the GT-R, even if it were legal. When they were racing twenty yeas ago, they used the R32, and that was very unpopular (least of all with Ford and Holden; their rivalry was manufactured to stop other companies from entering and winning). To enter with the car that is the spiritual successor to the Skyline would not go over well.

That's about as silly as NASCAR fans being upset that "Toyotas" have a place on the grid (using quotes because there's really no difference other than the badge between the cars now in use in the series; that will change soon). Sillier, even, because the R32 was a genuinely great car that should have prompted the others to up their game, and because Ford and "Holden" are both American makes.
 
the R32 was a genuinely great car that should have prompted the others to up their game, and because Ford and "Holden" are both American makes.
I'm not denying that. But if you look at the results from the early 1990s, Nissan went from having virtually no presence in the category to dominating for three consecutive seasons. When Richards and Skaife won the 1992 Bathurst 1000, Richards infamously called the crowd "a pack of arseholes" when they booed him. In some ways, the rules that created the Holden vs. Ford rivalry were created to prevent manufacturers from doing exactly this: showing up and winning everything. It doesn't matter how good the R32 was - fans were upset that non-"Australian" car could dominate the way the R32 did. So I think it would be in poor taste for Nissan to use the GT-R in 2013, as it's the spiritual successor to the Skyline models. But it doesn't matter, because the GT-R is ineligible under Car of the Future regualtions.
 
Edit: V8 supercars just posted the announcement video and the Nissan guy said the car is an "all new sedan". I'm on my phone or I'd post the link.

Probably "all-new" for Australia. I'm fairly sure we still don't offcially have the Infiniti marque and no Australian equivalent of the Altima, which are the two names being thrown around.
 
Bringing other manufactures in the sport will kill it. There now just shells that represent Holden or ford (or nissan.) the Holden ford rivalry kept people interested but now that will be lost.
 
the Holden ford rivalry kept people interested but now that will be lost.

That might keep many of the current fans interested, what about the people (like myself and many others I know) that are not interested in V8 Supercars for the very reason it is just Holden vs Ford. Adding new manufacturers will open it up for many new and returning fans.
 
Last edited:
Bringing other manufactures in the sport will kill it. There now just shells that represent Holden or ford (or nissan.) the Holden ford rivalry kept people interested but now that will be lost.
Bringing other manufacturers to the sport will probably save the championship, if anything. Holden and Ford Australia aren't doing too great and are gradually putting less and less money into the sport. Nissan will be bringing in a fair amount of cash to help support the series, how's that not a good thing? And the Holden v. Ford rivalry didn't exactly keep everyone interested, I know of of quite a few people (some of whom are members of this forum) who have or are losing interest in the sport simply because there's only two makes competing.
 
the Holden ford rivalry kept people interested but now that will be lost.
The rivalry hasn't existed for years. Certainly not the way it did in the 1990s.
 
Eventhough I've been watching V8s for 2 years but I didn't manage to see the competition between them. There are berely any differences between them!

More manufacturer = more variety. When there's more manufacturer joining there's a possibility to gain more fans all across the world and they will sustain the series from dying out of cash or losing interest from majority of international fans. This I think is not a bad thing, instead a good one for the future of V8 Supercars.

Honestly, I knew nothing at all about the existance of V8 Supercars that's until I searched for Holden on the internet and found that they're in a pretty popular Touring Car race in Australia. Only in 2010 that we have the coverage in Malaysia and I started to watch it, realising it would be a whole lot better if we have BMW, Mercedes rather than all Holden vs. Ford which in the end makes no difference as they're almost equal out there which I think due to the regulations.
 
Eventhough I've been watching V8s for 2 years but I didn't manage to see the competition between them. There are berely any differences between them!
Exactly - the rivalry hasn't existed for years. It seems that the only people who actually care about it are Holden fans.
 
The "rivalry" only exists in the form of the drunk yobs abusing each other in the general admission areas at the series events.
 
Murcie_LP640
Probably "all-new" for Australia. I'm fairly sure we still don't offcially have the Infiniti marque and no Australian equivalent of the Altima, which are the two names being thrown around.

I really don't think they'll be using the Altima, it's too small.

Edit:

The "new sedan" bit is around 15 seconds in the video.

 
Last edited:
Interesting tid-bits:

The car that will form the basis of the race car is most likely the Nissan Maxima replacement that Mr Thompson disclosed to GoAuto at the recent North American International Motor Show in Detroit.

This all-new model is expected to use the Nissan-Renault Alliance’s large car platform, that will underpin the next Altima – Nissan’s best-selling car in the United States.

...................

The new Nissan car will also be sold in North America, making the vehicle easily identifiable to race fans.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/EDF0EBAA97CB29C3CA25799F00139BBC
 
I believe they can only use the Altima if they sell 10,000 road-going versions in Australia. Although there may be a loophole that would allow them to use it if they are intended to sell those 10,000 Altimas concurrently with their V8 campaign.

Here are the reactions from Ford and Holden to Nissan joining the series:

Ford
"Nissan's decision to join V8s from next year show that the Car of the Future plan has merit and is an important step forward for the category. We look forward to seeing how V8 Supercar fans react now, and once they're on the grid."
Holden
"The introduction of another manufacturer does not waiver our commitment; in fact we are excited about the challenge and it will add yet another chapter to our proud motorsport history. Holden is Australia's car company and V8 Supercars will remain the quintessential Aussie motor racing series. We have the very best teams and the finest drivers, so we say - 'Bring it on!'. In 2011, Holden dominated the V8 Supercar competition by winning 24 of 28 championship, and 27 of 31 total races. It also won the manufacturers championship in record time, while Holden driver Jamie Whincup and his team [...] won the drivers and teams championships. The official factory Holden Racing Team recorded its seventh and Holden's 28th victory [...] in the Bathurst 1000. The win was HRT's record 200th all-time race win."
And to cap it all off, this is what Garth Tander asked of Rick Kelly on Twitter:

"So Rick Kelly, do you get a Pulsar as a new company car? Or do you get rid of your X5 and get a Patrol?’’
Now that's embarrassing. They don't even bother to name Nissan, spend most of their time talking about how great they are instead, and then one of their drivers insults one of Nissan's recruits.

-------

Also, Russell Ingall's Supercheap Auto livery has been launched:

AlQHTxvCMAAodaw.jpg


More images here.
 
I think that Tander is just jealous that he won't be getting a GT-R as a company car. :sly:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back