Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately missed the race but happy that Frosty won. Could this be the year? It's funny, after the huge stack on friday, i questioned whether Chaz was the right call for the FPR seat and maybe they shouldve taken Reynolds above him. But he has somewhat made me eat my words with 2 solid 3rd place finishes. Good on him. Awesome to see SMAC up there again. Just a shame he couldnt get the win. Onwards to Perth :)
Maybe it is just me, but I think Reynolds is vastly over-rated considering how he underperforms in what is a works FPR machine. He gets buy on his laddish persona but is ultimately not that fast.

Maybe it is just me, but I think Reynolds is vastly over-rated considering how he underperforms in what is a works FPR machine. He gets buy on his laddish persona but is ultimately not that fast.
I agree, somewhat, i just think that Chaz mightve been a bit inexperienced for the seat and when Dave produced his two best results (Bathurst 12 and GC 13) the two main cars faltered. I think that this proved his ability more than enough

As the commentators pointed out, Mostert was second only to Dahlgren in terms of inexperience at Puke, which is a circuit where confidence and commitment go a long way.

I agree, somewhat, i just think that Chaz mightve been a bit inexperienced for the seat and when Dave produced his two best results (Bathurst 12 and GC 13) the two main cars faltered. I think that this proved his ability more than enough
Not really the other times he's did good the main FPR guys took him out.

Can't for the life of me fathom why GRM are wasting time with Dahlgren. Sure, it's nice to have a Swede along for the ride, but while he's getting better, he's still miles off the pace. The team are just shooting themselves in the foot with him.

But I can't think of anyone decent whose contract is up for renewal at the end of the year. Not unless they can buy James Courtney out of his HRT seat. He's largely wasted his time there, and nobody deserves Gander as a team-mate, except maybe SVG.

I said the same thing!!! I think both cars would be in the top 15 cars if they would have kept Premat or gotten some one like Steve Owen. Bet they will have a new driver lined up before the end of the year!!

Steve Owen? He's not bad as a co-driver, but he's not great as a regular season driver. Like Premat, he's a step up from Dahlgren, but he's got nothing on McLaughlin. I still think Courtney would be the best choice of the existing crop of drivers, but failing that, GRM could look to the Dunlop Series. Ash Walsh might be worth a look-in.
That would only be worthwhile if they go for Nissan, Mercedes or Volvo. It's great that those manufaucturers have a presence in the sport, but now they need more cars.

That would only be worthwhile if they go for Nissan, Mercedes or Volvo. It's great that those manufaucturers have a presence in the sport, but now they need more cars.

An Altima will be in the NZ series. Two more Nissans on the grid would be good. Volvo is proven in the right hands. I just don't know if Polestar want to expand. Unless, they are grooming their DVS driver for a seat next year. Then, I can see a 4 car GRM/Polestar team. I just can't read Volvo. Another E63 team would be great. Would Erebus sell Loki and Freyja to a new team and make two new chassis? I'd definitely like to see that. 👍

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/john-bowe-fpr-s-impressing-me

Looking on as I do, I find the racing, the competition, the closeness, the TV presentation and commentary so good that I’ve run out of words to praise it.I know that it's financially tough for many teams at the moment but the product is so good that financial success must come in time – I just know it!

V8 Supercars has always been a fantastic show but surely now it is THE BEST racing series in the world!

I know some of you will want to blue about that statement … kids, the closeness and unpredictability of the results is testament to what I’m saying.

Five different marquees in the top seven spots makes even NASCAR look weak, I reckon.

I must take this opportunity to congratulate Mark Skaife and his small crew of people who essentially supervised the introduction, design and roll out of Car of the Future.

Without it, history will show that Australia would not have a V8 Supercar category. Now it is incredibly attractive and accessible to all car manufacturers – I wonder who’ll be the next to join the ranks of V8 Supercars?

If I was running a car company in Australia I would be into it with my ears pinned back… It's that good, and now goes to the world! Congratulations to everyone involved, Long may it live!

I was bored at work today so ready up on how Betty Klimenko-Saunders got her money to be able to run Erebus.

I did not know she was heiress to one of Australia's biggest empires - Westfield!

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/04/28/new-kiwi-team-eyes-v8-supercars-grid/

Regarding the Fox deal, does Leigh Diffey still report on Speed(Channel)?

Speed Chan doesn't exist anymore though as far as where it was mainly stationed which was in the U.S. where Diffey worked.

I was bored at work today so ready up on how Betty Klimenko-Saunders got her money to be able to run Erebus.

I did not know she was heiress to one of Australia's biggest empires - Westfield!

Yeah 60 minutes Australia did a nice section on it, it was actually posted up in here some pages ago.

Also the bit on her adoption and how she originally wasn't the first choice if I remember correctly was amazing, considering should might not be the person she is today if it had gone differently.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/05/02/erebus-assessing-options-amid-sponsor-struggle/

Amid increasingly urgent efforts to gain primary sponsors for the two cars, Motoring.com.au has this week reported that Klimenko and Erebus CEO Maddison have held talks with Volvo about a potential switch to the Swedish marque.Although declining to comment on any specific discussions that have taken place, Maddison has confirmed to Speedcafe.com that there is currently no guarantee that team will continue with its Mercedes-AMG package.

Holy SNAPS!

Her story is a good one. Fan for as long as they are in the main game?

Give it some jandal :sly:

Could you blame them?
No. If they've got to do it, then they've got to do it. It's been nice having the E63 on the grid, but without sponsors, the current model is unsustainable. And it's pretty obvious Mercedes' heart isn't in it. The Erebus project might be a part of the AMG Customer Program, but Mercedes-Benz never wanted to get into V8 Supercars in the first place, and while they tolerated the plan, the cars are officially recognised as "Erebus", not "Mercedes".

No. If they've got to do it, then they've got to do it. It's been nice having the E63 on the grid, but without sponsors, the current model is unsustainable. And it's pretty obvious Mercedes' heart isn't in it. The Erebus project might be a part of the AMG Customer Program, but Mercedes-Benz never wanted to get into V8 Supercars in the first place, and while they tolerated the plan, the cars are officially recognised as "Erebus", not "Mercedes".

Exactly my point if Merc was really backing them they'd most likely be fighting for wins but this isn't the case.

I think the plan was that Mercedes would give them two years as part of the AMG Customer Program to see what they could do. If they were satisfied with the team's results, then they could talk about works support; if not, the team could continue to run the cars in-house as they have been doing.

No doubt Mercedes have been aware of the challenges facing new entries, as Nissan have also struggled, even with factory backing. But they won't have missed Volvo's immediate success, either. I suspect Erebus will be talking to Mercedes while trying to find backers.

I think the plan was that Mercedes would give them two years as part of the AMG Customer Program to see what they could do. If they were satisfied with the team's results, then they could talk about works support; if not, the team could continue to run the cars in-house as they have been doing.

No doubt Mercedes have been aware of the challenges facing new entries, as Nissan have also struggled, even with factory backing. But they won't have missed Volvo's immediate success, either. I suspect Erebus will be talking to Mercedes while trying to find backers.

Yeah but the smart move from the Mercedes stand point would have been to help produce a car that could beat out the others and with there success like Volvo in many areas of racing we'd probably see a different respect for those running that car. I'd say the fact that these drivers have produced top ten drives so far through this year would warrant more help but then again I'm not Mercedes so...

MB gave them a 2 year deal. last year they said they would reassess but, Erebus had to win. they had to run at the front. they Got a win nd are top 10 in points. Might not continue... who knows.

Yeah but the smart move from the Mercedes stand point would have been to help produce a car that could beat out the others
Smart, certainly - but V8 Supercars didn't match the image and market position that Mercedes wanted. They weren't obligated to provide works support to someone just because that someone wanted to use Mercedes cars.

Smart, certainly - but V8 Supercars didn't match the image and market position that Mercedes wanted. They weren't obligated to provide works support to someone just because that someone wanted to use Mercedes cars.

Yeah you're right, I figured that was always the case, since V8s isn't really seen as the luxury brands racing of cars, unless Holden's and Ford's are of that stand point in Australia I don't know. Nissan Altima are clearly not the premier car of Nissan in the sedan area either so I guess there really is no point to E63s trying to prove their worth against them. However, the S60 is also a more upper level car so there is that. To be honest I wont be sad if Merc go even though I love the brand.

The thing is every weekend there is a race, it feels that since Ebreus had little impact from day one and thus they are so easily forgettable that they wont be missed. At least not by me.

Had it been SBR with Erebus out of the picture, who knows. MBA still had the mindset not to enter. MG Germany would have given its blessing still.

Australia is one of AMGs biggest markets though which makes sence of it having a program here. Volvo have been allout in the last year with marketing so i guess they have been targeting huge market share here so it makes sence for them.

Australia is one of AMGs biggest markets though which makes sence of it having a program here. Volvo have been allout in the last year with marketing so i guess they have been targeting huge market share here so it makes sence for them.

exactly. most AMGs sold in the world per capita. cant remember the last time i saw a C220. It's cool, though. the racing is still good. we'll see what happens(and what happens with Ford).

V8s isn't really seen as the luxury brands racing of cars, unless Holden's and Ford's are of that stand point in Australia
I would not say that they are luxury cars, though they do have high-end variants; rather, they're presented as family cars: four door sedans that you can buy when you settle down, and can pretty much drive until your kids are looking to buy a first car, at which point you sell/give it to your kids. My aunt had a Commodore that she drove for twenty years without a problem. Her eyes failed her before the car did.

Most taxis in Australia are Falcons or Commodores.

I'm guessing you're in America. If so, watch how Chevrolet market the new Lumina next year. It's actually a rebadged VF Commodore. The market they target is probably how Ford and Holden position themselves down here.

Although it's a wonder no-one has tried to export the idea of utes to America. They would go like hotcakes - legend has it that the idea came about when a farmer's wife wrote to Ford, complaining that there were no cars available to take her to church on Sunday and the pigs to market on Monday. So Ford hit upon the idea of marrying a passenger car to a pick-up truck, and they proved to be a runaway success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back