"Vision Gran Turismo" Preview (GT5?)

• Thread starter The359
  • 87 comments
redfury
Major gripe is the way the cars are shadowed at the tires on the track...hopefully that GT4 graphic will be corrected. I'm extremely excited about the PS3...many good things to come. USB 2.0 ports and slots for memory cards like SD and such. Perhaps they are going to do away with the memory "card" and let us buy our own Sticks and have as much storage as we want? I'm thinking GT5 is going to need quite the storage space, plus the Blu Ray DVDs hold what, 54 gigs in dual layer? Unreal.
Instead of memory cards, they'll be 32 megabyte or higher maybe memory sticks which are Sony's answer to SanDisk and CompactFlash. This is going to be one hell of a system and game.

In regards to Post #60, I can probably speak for you in saying that GT5 probably won't be GT4 rebadged as GT5 (much like when Chevy looked to Cosworth for power in the Indy Racing Leauge). I'm sure PD will take its time in making this game. I don't think it would take too long to make GT5 because I believe with GT3, there was problems in trying to understand or program effectively on the PS2. With this new PlayStation, the process may be easier to work with, if this is the case.

To get everything down perfectly (or as close to perfect as possible) PD would have to consider the look of the car, precise automotive sounds, interesting physics, and almost all others to make cars wonderful. I don't believe for one moment that GT5 will just be a watered-down evolution of GT4. Also, let's think about the possiblity of more tracks, more types of racing, deeper races, and that sort of thing.

Vision Gran Turismo should be seen more as a look to the future. This is just like concept cars. You can't quickly look at a concept car and say "it's ugly," or "I don't see the point." Just like the Ford GT90 for the Ford GT, we're given an idea about what to maybe look for in the future. Polyphony Digital is the developer of the GT series, and they are giving us an idea about what to expect in the future. It may be a bigger and better GT4. I'm thinking this is an idea for what GT5 will be like. Maybe there would be some extra effects to be used. Why would PD do this at E3? Well, even though work has begun on another GT for some time, we don't really KNOW what GT5 will be like. All we have is this more impressive GT4 being displayed on the PS3. So your guess is as good as mine as to what to expect in the future. My best idea is that we should take away something stating that this isn't like the Final Fantasy 7 tech demo. You know, we're not going to have GT4-2. GT4 is out and basically complete. GT5 is going to continue where GT4 left off, but make it bigger and better than its predecesor... just like (with marginal success) GT3 over GT2.

I bet over time the graphics will improve plus I bet there be aiming to put over 2000 cars in GT5.

dbartucci
I'd be disappointed with a mild update of GT4 as a GT4.5 for PS3. I've always felt GT3 was a rushed game to show off the graphics of PS2 when it first launched, and the product suffered. It's going to take more than just 15 cars on the track at once (ie. changes to gameplay, modes, more cars, etc.) to make me want to lay down $80 or whatever PS3 games will cost at launch.

besides the $80...the PS3 console costs money too...chances are...when GT5 comes out...and it's good, then i will get a PS3

Hey, just thought I'd share, since I saw someone asking about the song they played in the demo (I was asking about that as well, but no one knew).

The song is "Rise and Fall" - Boom Boom Satellites, from the album "Full Of Elevating Pleasures". I think I recognize them from another GT... maybe GT2, but I don't really know.

After looking at the pictures it looks just like GT4 with a better pit and more cars on the track. I can honestly say that GT4 didn't impress me and much as it should have. But the game is a helluva long ways off so who knows it might change by then.

In order to make GT5 more impressive they will have to add some sort of car modification system (spoliers, body kits, etc.). Also it would be a good move to keep it competitive. They will have to totally rework the AI so they don't run a set path. They will have to take out a bunch of cars. And they will have to put in real life tracks.

Damage is not needed but many of you can't see to realize that.

I don't think the video footage was running on a PS3 at all. Just looks like pre-rendered 'intro' sytle footage from GT4. The only conclusions we can possibly draw from the footage is:

1. - More cars
2. - More emphasis on the 'human element'.

...which we probably all assumed anyway. It'll be another 2-3 years before we see GT on the PS3.

After watching the press conference of the PS3 at E3, I'm very exited at the propect of the new systems capabilities. All the demos so far are very pretty - but it'll be a little while before we see any decent in-game footage. But on paper, it'll kick the Xbox 360's butt.

I've read about Vision Gran Turismo for the PS3 and I must say I was very impressed. :)

Here's what I'd like in Vision Gran Turismo (provided this working title is a stepping stone towards GT5 and made for release with PS3)

My Vision Gran Turismo

Maximum of 20 cars per race, even if all these cars are open top with the driver showing, in single player race

Maximum of 10 cars in 2 player split screen or LAN/online race (allowing putting in AI cars along players to go up to 10 cars)

2 player split screen/LAN/Online replays and the ability to save them (also to watch them full screen and use garage cars)

2 player split screen/LAN/Online drag racing

Ability to open doors on certain cars as a special feature in photo mode (this being the cars that are already shown with the doors open in GT4)

Ability to turn on headlights while racing, ability to put open top cars roof on or off while in garage, ability to leave skid marks or tyre tracks, ability to get the car dirty (with particle effects similar to Rallisport Challenge 2)

Make all spectators 3D and motion captured as well as pit crews, marshals (similar to the E3 demonstration)

Simulated damage based on an icon system, but nothing visual until GT5, at the end of the race the car is repaired and the credits are deducted depending on the amount and type of damage (similar to the icon system depicted in Forza Motorsport)

Improved physics and realistic depiction of car collisions, but without cars flipping until GT5 (unlike GT4 car collisions which are very unrealistic)

Improved AI (only if there’s an easy way to do this and not to time consuming)

3D wheels

All the bugs, glitches and problems from GT4 corrected (one of them is the wild fluctuation of stated power in different screens and game modes)

Wider range of rear spoilers and also front spoilers (ability to have the spoiler in the colour of the car also)

All the cars that were left out of previous GT games available in the used cars section and available at random and in random colours, split into 70’, 80’, 90’, 00’ (only if there is an easy way to do this and not too time consuming)

A 3D scripted Dyno feature stating the current power figures in the GT auto section

Improving every track replacing any sprites with 3D models and generally improving the overall look

Improving all the cars (only if there is an easy way to do this and not to time consuming)

Thanks for reading, my long post. What would you guys like to see in Vision Gran Turismo? Do you think the things I've posted are possible by the time of the PS3 release? Will it be enough of an improvement for you to buy the new game?

CobraUK, many of the things you're asking for COULD happen, my friend. I think PD will likely find the pure capabilities this game has and simply exploit them like a wrestler beating up on another wrestler's one body part that may be injured. I think we may see more open-top machines. I think it would be cool to have a racing suit to customize. While the one PD provides for you isn't bad, I see myself customizing a racing suit to how I want to look in a race. The PS3 may or may not be up to the task, so it will be interesting to see how things go if they followed your lead, CobraUK.

Like, take Mercedes-Benz. They have all sorts of convertibles like the 2002 SL500, 2002 SL55 AMG, 2004 SL600, and the 2004 SL65 AMG. It would be nice to have some top-down thrills. All I can say is, let's hope PD can do its best in making GT5 with more visible drivers and such.

JohnBM01
I think PD will likely find the pure capabilities this game has and simply exploit them like a wrestler beating up on another wrestler's one body part that may be injured.

Hehe, I bet they will, PD has always pushed Sony's hardware to it's limits. 👍

I like your idea about customising the look of your driver, maybe like a colour scheme and your pit crew could use the same colour scheme too. It'd definitely add some individuality to the game.

It'd be nice if there was a reason to turn the headlights on in a race, like the tracking getting darker as time passed in a race then lighter, instead of the same conditions for the entire 24 hours.

I think the new GT looks great (again). Also, there are finally more than 6 cars on the track. BUT PLEASE POLYPHONY: LAMBO's, FERRARIs and PORSCHES(NOT ruf)!

Why in Gods name does everyone want Lambo, Ferraris and Porsches? You aren't going to get them unless PD wants to f around with the licenses. I doubt they would even bother since they have the license to other things. They have Ruf's which are Porches, just ignore the badge.

It's really not all that important to have them in the game. I would be happy if they took cars OUT and made the physics engine better.

Tej
BUT PLEASE POLYPHONY: LAMBO's, FERRARIs and PORSCHES(NOT ruf)!

There's no need to beg PD about Lams, fres and Pors, i think KY and his gang are gonna have to work their lazy asses off to obtain those licenses for GT5. :grumpy:

Ahhh Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche. Who wouldn't want these car makers in GT5? These would be great additions and I agree with that. I disagree with players saying that without these cars GT4 is not good enough. That's just crazy. :crazy:

You see I bought a real life car due to GT. This car was the first car I owned in GT2 and been wanting one ever since. Point is GT makes people fall in love with cars, makes people want those cars in real life. To the manufacturers games like the GT series are a wet dream. In a world where car manufacturers are finding it harder and harder to attract buyers, games like the GT series will make people from a young age fall in love with cars. So if the above mentioned manufacturers are not doing everything in their power to be included in GT5 and are not co-operating with Sony/PD it's their loss... :indiff:

(singing) "Rise and fall... rise and fall..."

And what if they don't make it into the game, Tej? Is GT5 then going to be another dull GT game? As far as this goes, if PD can't get the license deals and convince the manufacturers to be in the game, it's THEIR fault, not PD's. Want them, get them from that game EGM says is "better than Gran Turismo 4," Forza Motorsport. You be the judge on that statement, of course. Just be happy with Cizeta and Ruf. Then again, hope for Koenigsegg. I don't know too much about them, but it may be a great hope for you. If it was in the game, you'd have to look under the Swedish Showroom.

On the G4 network, I keep seeing Vision Gran Turismo over and over again. Amid all the Killzones and Motor Storms and all, I cannot help but be stunned. Sometimes even, I wish I can be able to race 20 cars on a race course, then maybe 6 cars in a rally. My only problem is, I'd want the five-second penalty gone. I swear to you, it looks like I'm watching a race on television, especially with that Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway part of the video, where a 2003 Nissan GT500 Skyline gets fresh tires and all. The key statement expressed was "from partial reality... to complete reality." As a longtime Gran Turismo fan, I'd sure like to imagine what to make of all this. I know I read on IGNore.com (or for the rest of us, ign.com), that Kazunori Yamauchi was considering car damage. Are we to believe IGNore even as they came up with a Gran Turismo 4 Concept featuring Ferraris and Lamborghini concepts?

Again, you be the judge.

I don't think we can expect visible damamge in the GT series that soon. To depict car damage, especially to the likes of what KY/PD have in mind will take a lot of work. I may be wrong but also I believe a lot of extra modelling needs to be done. If there will be a VGT at PS3 release, before GT5, then visible damage is not going to be in it. It's a time issue and in 1 year PD can't remodell all cars and the individual components that need to get damaged or fall off, including the underneath of every car.

Then again they might go a different route, where they include car interiors and full damage but only about 250 cars and 25 tracks. Then Gt could have maybe 1000 cars and 100 tracks. Also damage will mean that we'll loose some cars anyway doe to the manufacturers dim view on damage being represented on their car range.

PS: The real life car I bought due to falling in love with it in the GT series is a Honda Del Sol, it's actually got a different name in UK and I have the top of the range model, Honda CRX VTI. Also about another £6K of supercharger, adjustable sports suspension, custom stainless steel racing exhaust, cold air forced induction kit, 10mm racing ignition leads, twin core iridium spark plugs, VTEC controller, piggyback ECU, etc, etc, etc. The car is just as fast as my BMW on the 1/4 mile but on the track there's no contest. The Honda is just fantastic at cornering. I'm trying to see if I can convince this guy I know with a Lotus Motorsport Elise to have a race at Snetterton drome. I'm really curious to see if I can beat it.

His car apparently has 190Bhp he said, which is less than mine but it's nearly 200Kg lighter and probably got more downforce. :(

I'd like to try anyway, as it's not just the car, the driver too. ;)

Anyway, back on topic.

i have just seen it and omfg it looks incredible, i have never seen a game that looks so good, i think if gt5 comes out on release with ps3 then i will get a ps3 instead of a xbox 360

It looks the same as GT4 (bercause it IS graphically the same) but with more cars on track, how is that, compared to other PS3 demo's like Killzone 2 incredible?

Now I'm watching the demos again it seems most of the developers weren't ready for E3. Killzone WAS pre-rendered, Vision GT was based on GT4 (if GT4 hadn't been in the time frame, a more impressive demo would've been made for sure), save for developers like Epic with UT2007.

However, its definitely promising, and looking at the specs for the consoles, what you saw is almost definitely within range.

Since the PS3 is supposed to be at least 30 times more powerful than the PS2 I think that a GT on the PS3 will be amazing.

I also have to say that in the demo the panoramic views of the tracks, and the pit activity is what stunned me. I would have liked to see some damage similar to the PS3 F1 demo and huge 3D spectator crowds like in the F1 demo. With the power of the PS3 it's all possible. It's just development time...

I don't think we have to be afraid about the graphics. Look at previous GT games, they always featured some of the best graphics when they came out. I'm confident that it will be the same with GT5. If we see the same difference as between GT3 and GT2, it will be better than anything we've seen so far.

What we should be afraid about is the AI, the damage, and whether this game will offer anything new over GT4, like an entirely new carreer mode that's far more in-depth than all those events in GT4.

What I've heard, the graphics will be movie like (real photo realistic), no more "pencil like" fine lines to accentuate the difference between the bodywork and lets say, the doors or bonnet.

Yeah, but when PD really begins working on it and all, you shouldn't rule out any chances of PD stepping up their efforts on GT5, or Vision GT, or whatever it will be called. I think the team went with GT4's graphics because I don't think a lot of real work on the actual game (from graphics to code and beyond) has really started. A game like the Gran Turismo series takes a whole lot to work on, even with all the work PD been through between GT3 and GT4. Many of you saw the photos for GT3. You may have seen pictures of Kazunori Yamauchi go up on a ladder and photograph pictures of the 2000 GT500 Calsonic Skyline GT-R and the 2000 GT500 Toyota Supra at Fuji. Then we seen GT4 photos comparing real life and fantasy pictures of Fuji and Tsukuba. This stuff takes time, people. Look at the Metal Gear Solid series. Think about all the development of HALO and HALO2. This stuff takes time, even with franchise games like the Gran Turismo series. If GT2 was a step up from GT1, GT3 a big step up from GT2 (despite much fewer cars), and GT4 a bigger step from GT3, you bet your ass GT5 is going to be designed and built up to put the PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 Gran Turismos to shame.

Another factor is that it's being said the PS3 will be easier to work with. I can somewhat promise you that this game will not take 2 years to finish and put to perfection. PD will put in as much time as possible adding cars, tracks, graphical upgrades, maybe even a new physics engine, maybe even (I'm hoping) a environmental engine. Yeah. Imagine being able to have the sun sparkle on your cars' windshields, rain and snow come down either in light to heavy increments, dynamic weather changes, and even time cycles. The point of all this is that Gran Turismo 5 will be made for no less than 2 years of development. We don't know very much about it all. At least September or November we should know more about this.

Back