Volkswagen’s I.D. R Pikes Peak racer revealed

Switzerland
Switzerland/Italy
Volkswagen's first electric racing car, the four-wheel drive I.D. R, will compete in the 2018 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb race (June 24), driven by two-time Le Mans winner Romain Dumas.

idr_shot02.jpg

idr_shot03.jpg

Full specs aren't available yet. The record in the EV class currently stands at 8:57:118 and was set by Rhys Millen in 2016 with his e0 PP100.

Official Press Release
Autosport
Autoblog
Top Gear

Seems like every electric race car must have an ugly Tron look.

This one is probably the lamest rally car ever.

Seems no worse than the off the wall stuff we've seen from the top ICE unlimited. Considering some of the recent electric cars that have been on the hill, this is by far not anywhere close to looking like that. Also it's a rendering, and looks similar to renders you get for LMP cars...are those too ugly Tron cars? Seems like bias about electric cars but...

I.D. = Ilectric Drive? Or Internet Drive? Or ..... ?

Last edited:
Seems no worse than the off the wall stuff we've seen from the top ICE unlimited. Considering some of the recent electric cars that have been on the hill, this is by far not anywhere close to looking like that. Also it's a rendering, and looks similar to renders you get for LMP cars...are those too ugly Tron cars? Seems like bias about electric cars but...
Fair enough.. yeah I'm not a huge fan of Tron looking cars but those renders are trying too hard that futuristic look for PR purposes, Imo of course. Who knows maybe the actual car will look better and "real" with a decent livery.

The VW ID R will be unveiled in two days (April 22nd)

db2018au00331_large.jpg

It is the start of a new era in motorsport for Volkswagen – and one thing is already certain:
This Volkswagen is set to electrify its public. When the I.D. R Pikes Peak is presented to the public on the coming Sunday, 22 April, it will be Volkswagen’s first fully-electric racing car. Lightweight construction and aerodynamic perfection contribute to an exciting design, which houses a powerful electric power unit. The I.D. R Pikes Peak will first take its place under the spotlight of the international media at the racetrack in Alés, France – home of world-class driver Romain Dumas (F), who will be at the wheel for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb – before the official test programme gets underway just one day later.
Key date, 24 June 2018 – one goal: Break the record for electric racing cars.

The event on Pikes Peak, reverently known as the “Race to the Clouds”, starts at 2,862 metres and finishes at 4,302 metres above sea level. For more than 100 years, it has been the most spectacular hill climb in the world of motor racing. Volkswagen took part with an iconic and spectacular twin-engine Golf in 1987 but came up just short of victory. The goal is now to settle that score by setting a new record for electric cars.

You can follow the unveiling of the Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak in live stream on 17:00 on Sunday, 22 April on www.facebook.com/volkswagenmotorsport and www.volkswagen-motorsport.com

(Source)

This thing is bonkers. Like the 919 record car but turned up to 12 instead of 11 like the 919 and using all electric.

And it's not sponsored by Red Bull? It definitely has some wings. Looks amazing, and it doesn't even come off as overly Volkswagen.

According to VW:

"The “R”, which is synonymous with performance cars, and the “I.D.”, the symbol of Volkswagen’s smart E-technology."

I'm guessing it means "Intelligent Drive".

According to VW:

"The “R”, which is synonymous with performance cars, and the “I.D.”, the symbol of Volkswagen’s smart E-technology."

I'm guessing it means "Intelligent Drive".
When the I.D BUZZ was unveiled, this is what the press release stated:
"The “I.D. BUZZ” name was hardly an arbitrary choice. I.D. stands for “Identity” “Idea,” “Individual,” “Intelligent” and “Iconic Design”. BUZZ, on the other hand, is a phonetic word play on “bus” and refers to the silent “buzzing” of the drive system." (https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/826)

Couldn't find anything else regarding the meaning of "I.D"

Put this in GTS please. Wish it wasn’t electric though only because of the noise the look makes me hear an engine sound like LMP1 or Loeb’s Pikes peak.

Attachments

• A486EF87-BAA3-4AA3-A65F-E0345EEDDA1B.jpeg
    A486EF87-BAA3-4AA3-A65F-E0345EEDDA1B.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 16
Put this in GTS please.
If you think it should be included in the GT series, show your support here.

It's surely more productive than assuming someone who has any control over game content is going to see some random post in some random thread about some random car and be so compelled to start the process of including it in the game before your attention turns to something else.

I think it'd be perfect for a Gr.1 Volkswagen car. On that note, I think some Daytona Prototypes could be good for representing some other automakers in Gr.1 like Chevrolet. I'm not 100% sure about LMP2 cars, though - but then again, I did hear LMP2 cars were getting faster than the LMP1 racers when a lot of the LMP1 automakers were pulling out. I also wonder if other modern Pikes Peak cars, like the Hyundai one, could also be good Gr.1 cars?

Back