Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
VW's strategy is an odd one. It's basically "We want to sell more cars in the United States, but we're not actually going to offer any cars there."

Speaking of which, the ID.Buzz was teased during the ID.5 presentation:
vw-id-buzz-crashes-the-id5-live-presentation-to-tease-future-customers-173318_1.jpg
They completely sucked the joy out of that concept. Great job VW.

It perhaps looks a bit too much like a Dustbuster in the final version, but I mean they've been showing basically the same concept car for literally the past 20 years:

vw_microbus_HR_manu-r2.jpg

And it's looked worse every time they've trotted out a new variation of it since then. Should be glad that they are actually committed to building an interesting looking car after they spent the past 5 years surgically removing all of them from the brand portfolio.

Last edited:
It perhaps looks a bit too much like a Dustbuster in the final version, but I mean they've been showing basically the same concept car for literally the past 20 years:

vw_microbus_HR_manu-r2.jpg

And it's looked worse every time they've trotted out a new variation of it since then. Should be glad that they are actually committed to building an interesting looking car after they spent the past 5 years surgically removing all of them from the brand portfolio.
Can you imagine how wildly successful VW would've been if they had actually adopted this van and that design language across their range? Particularly if they had been an early AWD adopter. Wow. But instead they decided to be miserable lol.

The good news is that unlike all these other IDs, it actually looks like a Bauhaus-inspired German car design. It looks wonderful. The rest of the range should share this language, just like VWs have for decades now.

I love this thing and it's perhaps the only car that me and my SO have equal amounts of enthusiasm for :lol: . I hope it's not astronomically expensive when it lands stateside.

Last edited:
VW has been teasing a replacement of the camper for as long as I can remember. Are they actually releasing this to production?

That looks better than the concept to my eyes. I do wonder how much of its good looks are down to the two tone colour scheme though.

It’s crazy. The biggest issue with the EVs were the lack of a grille. Now, there are no issues at all. There’s no ICE engine in the front. Just safety features to package. These exterior designs should be looking awesome.

It's like if somebody asked a graduate design student to render a 2028 VW Jetta.
That's a good thing, isn't it? It's a Volkswagen, it should look like a Volkswagen. I actually think it's still overstyled and VW enough compared to their classic offerings.

The Buzz is basically perfect however. That thing is gonna sell faster than they can make them.

Last edited:
That's a good thing, isn't it? It's a Volkswagen, it should look like a Volkswagen. I actually think it's still overstyled and VW enough compared to their classic offerings.

The Buzz is basically perfect however. That thing is gonna sell faster than they can make them.
I offer no subjective assessment. :lol:

The Buzz is an amazing piece of design. Unfortunately I think it will be too expensive when it lands in the US. I also think, and I've said this before, it would be more compelling as a PHEV. That thing is made for road trips out into the boonies with your gear. If they sold it in the US as a short wheel base cargo van with a PHEV powertrain, I would pay any amount of money to have one.

Back