VR has ruined GTS for me.

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 122 comments
I haven't tried it with GTS, but I did get several sessions on it with PC2 in a simulator when I was at the British F1 GP back in July (and held fastest time of the day from 10am up to the 5.15pm deadline, before some 17 year old kid beat me :mad::D).

Felt very initiative, and overall pretty awesome... I've been considering getting it for home... do you need PS4 pro for VR, or will it work on a 'normal' PS4?
It will work on standard ps4

Had my first try driving in VR tonight and I barely lasted 90 seconds. Stomach was doing back flips and I was so dizzy, I had to stop. I tried again after it settled down and the first corner was just as bad, tried a few more corners and I broke out in a clammy sweat and full on motion sickness. My missus said I'd turned white... How the hell do you trick your brain it isn't actually moving?

I really want to get used to it as it's a brilliant experience but not at the expense of feeling as ill as that. I feel dizzy thinking about it.:ill:

Had my first try driving in VR tonight and I barely lasted 90 seconds. Stomach was doing back flips and I was so dizzy, I had to stop. I tried again after it settled down and the first corner was just as bad, tried a few more corners and I broke out in a clammy sweat and full on motion sickness. My missus said I'd turned white... How the hell do you trick your brain it isn't actually moving?

I really want to get used to it as it's a brilliant experience but not at the expense of feeling as ill as that. I feel dizzy thinking about it.:ill:
A couple of hints:

Try it out when you are as well rested as possible. Say, after a nice sleep in and a few hours after you wake up. This helps me out, and is a good idea to do when you are first getting used to it. After a while you should have to rely on it less.

Try looking around as little as possible. Look staright ahead at the road and try to keep looking at fixed objects as much as possible.

Potentially try playing something like the shark tank experience that comes with the set first to get used to it. That game doesnt require you to move very much so its good for getting your brain used to the experience of VR.

Try to adjust the cockpit camera and center the camera so that it matches your real sitting position as well as possible. Seeing the in game wheel in a different placw to where your real life hands are can make me feel ill.

Give some of these a go if you already havent. Just remember to stop playing the second you start feeling more than a littlr uncomfortable. Its only going to get worse and it will make you not want to try VR again if it does. If you make yourself vommit with VR then you can kind of understand if your brain wont take too kindly to trying it again :lol:

I had a similar first experience, so don’t worry.

I was run down though - had a bad cold - so I’d recommend, like the user above, to make sure you feel fit and ready.

My advice would be to just practice with a slow car and take it easy.

Pick a flat tack like Le Mans or Monza first as well. My mistake was picking Brands Hatch as my first track and with all the elevation changes, I felt sick half way through turn one.

Basically, just take it really easy to begin with. Work yourself up.

Baby steps - it takes some people a while to grow their VR legs and acclimatise to the fact that your body isn't doing what your eyes are seeing.

Don't play when your tired, drunk, hungover, and also make sure you stop when you begin to start feeling ill, otherwise you may find yourself clinging to the toilet for a couple of hours in extreme cases.

VR appears to affect everybody differently. Some people are simply not affected at all - like me, and some people end up vomiting for a couple of hours afterwards - like my brother. However with careful and gradual exposure I think most people can eventually become used to VR.

I was run down though - had a bad cold - so I’d recommend, like the user above, to make sure you feel fit and ready.

My advice would be to just practice with a slow car and take it easy.

Pick a flat tack like Le Mans or Monza first as well. My mistake was picking Brands Hatch as my first track and with all the elevation changes, I felt sick half way through turn one.

It was probably a really bad idea to jump in a Gr3 WRX at The Ring for my first experience then?:lol:

Like Aphelion suggested, leaving the driving alone until I'm fully acclimatised to the headset. It was definitely too much too soon.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I appreciate it.👍

I tried GTsport VR, liked it but the graphics took way too big of a hit for me. The giant pixels killed it.

Let me know when VR is at least 24k res.

I tried GTsport VR, liked it but the graphics took way too big of a hit for me. The giant pixels killed it.

Let me know when VR is at least 24k res.

One of the reasons GTS looks so bad in VR is that it appears to be knocked down to 720p, which is really not good for a VR experience.

I think when they hit supersampled 4k at 120Hz with the HMD then it’s ready for prime time. Sure more resolution would be desirable, but that’s at the point where I would consider it more than good enough for general consumption.

All that aside I think one of the biggest barriers, if not the biggest, to VR uptake currently is precisely what @kilesa4568 experienced. It’s not really good if you’re selling a product which is likely to make a good proportion of your customers feel ill. That said Sony do apparently have a very thorough testing process for VR games to ensure that they minimise motion sickness by default.

I really enjoy the PSVR when I'm not to lazy to pull it out. Played Archangel the other day for hours. It was great. I love jumping in a road car (usually N600 GT-R) and cruising around the Ring. Not for lap times but to look around and feel like I'm actually doing it. VR legs DO take some time to get used to but eventually it's fine. Wipeout is another hours-long session for me.

My only problem is my position within the car "in world". It's always just off center and ends up sliding off to the left after a while, where I'm physically moving my chair to point to the left of the tv in order to be looking straight over the steering wheel. I've tried all kinds of recentering and it moves me around but never perfect. Move my head around and recenter until it's almost straight works ok. I have a level taped to my camera. It's level. The chair is lined up directly in the middle of the camera. Still, I have to look left to be facing "forward". Same thing happens in Dirt Rally. That keeps me from driving more in GTS VR. Other games where I'm standing don't do that as much and if they do, it's not like i have to reposition my racing chair to make it feel normal and I don't even notice if I'm turning.

Anyone have issues like that? I should say...anyone have a fix for that?

Anyone have issues like that? I should say...anyone have a fix for that?
Sounds like the camera is picking up some background light and misinterprets that as coming from the headset.

From what I know the best lighting setup is when you have no sunlight coming in, no reflections in the background objects, some lighting on but not the color of the headset (blue). Also make sure you're about 2 meters from the camera, too close or too far might cause drift.

Hopefully PSVR 2.0 fixes these issues and uses different form of tracking.

You will be old or dead by then.:D

Sorry I could not resist.:)

If they can get eye tracking and foveal rendering going well then I don't see a problem with those resolutions as only that what you're directly looking at needs to be rendered in high resolution.

Of course the ideal VR would be direct neural input, and if you're talking about that then yeah, we'll all be dead before that comes about - if it comes about.

The ruining continues to be done on a daily basis.... Been dying to try out the new content and patch for GTS, but haven't yet, because I can't pull myself away from playing PCars 2...in VR :(

It was probably a really bad idea to jump in a Gr3 WRX at The Ring for my first experience then?:lol:

Like Aphelion suggested, leaving the driving alone until I'm fully acclimatised to the headset. It was definitely too much too soon.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I appreciate it.👍

Something else that helps a lot of people is using a fan to move the air around your head. It doesn't have to be directed at your face just close enough where you have air movement. A cool breeze also helps with fogging if thats an issue. Hang in there man, you will have your VR legs before you know it :cheers:

Something else that helps a lot of people is using a fan to move the air around your head. It doesn't have to be directed at your face just close enough where you have air movement. A cool breeze also helps with fogging if thats an issue. Hang in there man, you will have your VR legs before you know it :cheers:

Fogging was an issue, even for the short time I tried it and simulating some motion with airflow sounds like a neat trick. Thanks for the tip.👍👍

The headset is sat next to the TV as a constant reminder but I haven't had the urge to try it again yet. I've been feeling rough since the first attempt (separate issue) so waiting till I feel better before I try again.

The goal is to use it in Dirt Rally VR but I think it'll be a while before I'm that used to it.:crazy:

Thats... interesting. I own PSVR too and i think it is a cool experience. However, i have no problem to go back to normal gameplay on my TV after playing VR. In fact, i prefer playing this or Forza 7 in 4K because it looks so much better. You cant do much in GTS VR anyway so it gets a bit boring after a while. Im pretty sure VR could be the future of racing games, but technology isnt there yet. PSVR is a first taste of things that might come, not much more IMO.

Although i dont suffer from motion sickness, playing in VR feels rather uncomfortable with the headset. I spend sometime with Skyrim VR and all i can say is this: i want to experience Elder Scrolls 6 in 4K, not VR.

Guys, when I'm on vr, the car and the track selection menu always move to the right and must recalibrate all the time.
When I'm in car it's all good, only in the menu the image move to the right.
Does it happen to you, too? Any hint about it?

Guys, when I'm on vr, the car and the track selection menu always move to the right and must recalibrate all the time.
When I'm in car it's all good, only in the menu the image move to the right.
Does it happen to you, too? Any hint about it?

i sometimes have stuff like that happen if its particularly sunny and i have only closed the blinds instead of blinds and curtains.when i have the screen set to huge cinematic, the middle screen size setting works better as you dont need to move your head to see the screen corners... i think gts is doing the equivelent of you holding the option button?

dark room with no reflective pictures or mirrors on the walls etc and its heaven.

I love GTS in VR and wish the features would be expanded to more modes. It's seems unlikely, though, until PS5 to happen. I probably spend about 50% of my driving time in VR and the other 50% normal. I don't really have trouble switching between the two, though. With the Pro I find the resolution to be good but I still like the clarity and colors of 4K + HDR, too.

dirt rally vr is a good example of graphics vs immersion. Since getting psvr, I have not played dirt rally in pancake mode (i like that saying). I would never even concider it, had it not been for this reference.

Now, imagine the rolls were reversed... vr had developed in the 1990s and graphics had stayed in 720p. Along comes 4k graphics, yeh they almost look like you are watching real life on tv, but you also FEEL like you are watching tv.
People would say that 4k is great for GTA and Fifa, but everyone with a wheel would say they will wait for 4k to come to vr.

For me, it’s VR when I wanna relax and just enjoy the car, the detailed interiors and the scenery. With a wheel, the experience is super immersive. About half my GT Sport seat time is in VR. I’m actually thinking of selling my real life “toy” car because I haven’t gone for track days in a long time, and it’s just sitting there and I have a more sensible daily driver. GT Sport in VR almost replicates the track day feeling enough to consider not having a manual track day car anymore.

When I want some real adrenalin, I do Sport Mode. I have no trouble switching between VR and pancake modes. But the day when GT can be played in VR in its entirety will be a good day indeed. I’m totally sold, and I hardly think of getting a bigger tv anymore, because it’s just never gonna match the VR experience.

...the day when GT can be played in VR in its entirety will be a good day indeed.

I'd like to see a remaster of GT5 with all of GT6's extra content on PS4, & that could easily run VR in all modes.

I'm a huge fan of VR, but GTS's implementation has basically crippled it into a tech demo and little else. GTS is a racing game, in which you can't race in VR!

For some strange reason, the PSVR AI is even slower than the AI on amateur in 2D. Put in even moderately decent times (which is easier than 2D, IMO) and the AI car is out of sight behind you by the second corner. You are now doing a time trial..! Kind of pointless to have a race when you are racing a cripple!. Pick the worst car, slap on the hardest tires, the damn AI will slow down..! This is a mode designed for 5 year olds! Almost the only car that can't win easily is the SambaBus :eek:

OK, I can understand the technical limitations that prevent more than one opponent. But nothing other than PD's fanatical desire to make sure PSVR can be played by the absolute worst drivers in the game prevents them ramping up the AI to match quasi-alien times. In fact, as there is only one AI opponent, you would think this is the mode that offers the most CPU horsepower to allow the AI to be streets faster than the glacial Professional Mode in 2D!

A one on one battle with a single AI that was actually fast would rescue this mode, and turn PSVR into something more than a tech exercise. But PD apparently are scared witless about making strong AI, in case that makes players stick with the game after the next game comes out and the servers close, and all decent opponents migrate to the new game. If the AI is worth racing, maybe the player base will wait and see if the new game is actually worth it! I can assure you, if the GT6 AI were worth a damn, I'd still be playing that...

Weird how other games (PC2 and AC both have AI that can challenge all but über-aliens) don't seem to worry about that...

We will never going to see that because of licensing.

What else is your crystal ball telling you! :sly: As the saying goes; never say never. Converting the game to run on PS4 wouldn't take as much time as making a new game from scratch, & just because they might not be able to license all the content doesn't mean that they can't license most of it. And, just because I said I'd like to see it, doesn't therefore mean that I believe it will happen; I don't.

VBR
I'd like to see a remaster of GT5 with all of GT6's extra content on PS4, & that could easily run VR in all modes.

Actually no... It's rather doubtful it could. Have you played DriveClubVR? That's about the high point of VR racing on the PS4 (by racing I mean having multiple opponents), and the resolution is terrible compared to even GT5, the physics are dumbed down to arcade level, and the pixelation is horrendous.

PC2 could not run their level of tire and physics model on a PS4 PSVR at all. I think you underestimate the difficulty of full VR at even the graphics level of GT5. I even have my doubts about the PS5 being capable. Check out what kinds of graphics cards are needed to run PC2 at serious framerate and resolution on a PC today. It is unlikely that the PS5 will come close. The graphics card alone cost at least double or triple what a PS5 will cost!

GTS's VR mode is a wonderful technical exercise, but that level of graphics fidelity simply can't be sustained once you factor in 15 opponents (let alone 20+). Not on a console, anyway.

VR is very fun and psvr with GTS is great. I hope they can make more use of it in the future perhaps on the PS5. Definitely the future of gaming.

Move your head to look not your eyes. It takes a while to get used to but it will keep you from getting sick.

Back