VR has ruined GTS for me.

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 122 comments
Actually no... It's rather doubtful it could.

"Sony says that the PS4 is roughly 10 times as powerful as the PS3." Source. I think with 10 times the amount of power available, GT5 could easily run in VR on PS4.

Driveclub was made for PS4 & then downscaled to work in VR, that's why it doesn't look as good. Whereas, GT5 is running on a tenth of the PS4's capability already (being a PS3 game), so having 90% headroom to play with makes it more than viable for full VR.

Last edited:
VBR
"Sony says that the PS4 is roughly 10 times as powerful as the PS3." Source. I think with 10 times the amount of power available, GT5 could easily run at 1080p/60 in VR.

Correct, but it needs to run preferably at 90 fps and you will get PS3 quality textures, shadows, AA filtering etc. Especially the lower quality textures will pull you out the immersion.

Correct, but it needs to run preferably at 90 fps and you will get PS3 quality textures and AA filtering. Especially the lower quality textures will pull you out the immersion.

Not necessarily true; Driveclub runs at 60fps in VR, & there is some clever trickery where that is doubled to 120fps by the PSVR, so GT5 could run at 60fps too. And yes, it would obviously come with PS3 textures; which is another reason it would run well on PS4. Nowhere did I claim it would rival GT Sport graphically, nor any current gen game, just that it would likely be able to run the whole game in VR. And, I bet many people would be happy with that, I know I would. Shuffle racing in VR anyone?

Actually no... It's rather doubtful it could. Have you played DriveClubVR? That's about the high point of VR racing on the PS4 (by racing I mean having multiple opponents), and the resolution is terrible compared to even GT5, the physics are dumbed down to arcade level, and the pixelation is horrendous.

PC2 could not run their level of tire and physics model on a PS4 PSVR at all. I think you underestimate the difficulty of full VR at even the graphics level of GT5. I even have my doubts about the PS5 being capable. Check out what kinds of graphics cards are needed to run PC2 at serious framerate and resolution on a PC today. It is unlikely that the PS5 will come close. The graphics card alone cost at least double or triple what a PS5 will cost!

GTS's VR mode is a wonderful technical exercise, but that level of graphics fidelity simply can't be sustained once you factor in 15 opponents (let alone 20+). Not on a console, anyway.

DriveClub started as a 30 fps ps4 game. GT5 and GT6 were (near) 1080p 60 fps ps3 games. That will be a lot easier to port to PSVR with a lot less compromises. The same as Wipeout which runs perfect on psvr without any compromises, full grids, all online functionality included.

It certainly can work, however porting GT5 to the ps4 will be a huge undertaking, not worth the cost.

It's a shame as GT5 was practically ready for VR. Stereoscopic 3D and head tracking were already implemented.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=4

Last edited:
DriveClub started as a 30 fps ps4 game. GT5 and GT6 were (near) 1080p 60 fps ps3 games. That will be a lot easier to port to PSVR with a lot less compromises. The same as Wipeout which runs perfect on psvr without any compromises, full grids, all online functionality included.

It certainly can work, however porting GT5 to the ps4 will be a huge undertaking, not worth the cost.

It's a shame as GT5 was practically ready for VR. Stereoscopic 3D and head tracking were already implemented.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=4

Hypothetically they could build a 1 track 1 car demo for people to try and see how the response is. But that sadly is just wishfull thinking.

Hypothetically they could build a 1 track 1 car demo for people to try and see how the response is. But that sadly is just wishfull thinking.

It would probably be easier to use the ps3 standard car models in GTS to allow more cars on the road and unlock the rest of the off-line content for VR and maybe even the online content. Except there won't be equivalents for all cars, nor are all times of day variants available in VR. Use the PS2 car models, there were 700 of them in GT4, that should cover it.

Hey y’all. Now that I’ve had VR for three months, I thought I’d do a review for VR on GT Sport only.

I’ve tried to be as balanced and informative at possible.

It’s impossible to exactly say yes it’s worth it, or no it’s not, but hopefully this will help sway you one way or the other based on your circumstances:

Hey y’all. Now that I’ve had VR for three months, I thought I’d do a review for VR on GT Sport only.

I’ve tried to be as balanced and informative at possible.

It’s impossible to exactly say yes it’s worth it, or no it’s not, but hopefully this will help sway you one way or the other based on your circumstances:

Excellent review mate, it was very well done.

Question, for someone like me who is not really big on the racing (old n slow) but does love the game and spends most of his time in time trial.

Would you think there might be slightly more value in the VR given its restrictions don't impact me too greatly?

Excellent review mate, it was very well done.

Question, for someone like me who is not really big on the racing (old n slow) but does love the game and spends most of his time in time trial.

Would you think there might be slightly more value in the VR given its restrictions don't impact me too greatly?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I think VR would definitely suit you better in that case.

It would probably make your experience twice as fun and infinitely more immersive.

As I say in the video though, just get a second hand headset. It’ll work just as well as spending more money on a new one.

A major inconvenience in VR is that you can not use the MFD functions on track, as far as I noticed. Normally, you won't use it that much, but sometime you need some TC for a good grid start, then turn it off, so...
Otherwise it's great!

Just like any time there is a fancy new technology PD always jump on the bandwagon and it rarely ever makes the game better for the majority of players, Remember when PD went after 3D technology?... Yeah that and GPS lap tracking and VR were all a waste of time, space and money and other parts of the games were probably cut to make room for these things that the vast majority of people neither have nor want.

VR is most certainly not a waste of time here.

Agreed, VR is the future. It will be commonplace across many genres one day.

It needs more time to be developed before I’m interested enough to buy it though. I fear once I try it in a racing game, I will never want to go back to a tv.

We sold our VR set up. None of us could get used to the instant motion sickness.:ill:

That's a real shame, but my brother was the same - he had to get rid of his PSVR for that exact reason.

I love VR, don't suffer any side effects from it, and never had to grow "VR legs" - I guess I'm either lucky, or part of my brain is dead. Although I would love to see VR become a more mainstream video game experience, the fact that it can and does cause ill effects in a relatively large number of people makes me believe that it's destined to remain a niche interest in the video game world.

For me that's bad, but I would totally understand it if most major developers pass on VR, as the last thing they want to do is make their customers ill.

Funnily enough I prefer GTS and Dirt Rally on a flat screen, but couldn't honestly play WipEout without VR ever again.

Just like any time there is a fancy new technology PD always jump on the bandwagon and it rarely ever makes the game better for the majority of players,

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was Sony themselves pushing PD into adding them, 3D was being aggressively marketed across all their entertainment divisions around the time GT5 came out. Considering the implementation of both 3D in GT5 and VR in GT Sport I feel Kaz sees them as a box ticking exercise to keep his bosses happy, they aren't optimised for current hardware for someone as perfectionist as he is

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was Sony themselves pushing PD into adding them, 3D was being aggressively marketed across all their entertainment divisions around the time GT5 came out. Considering the implementation of both 3D in GT5 and VR in GT Sport I feel Kaz sees them as a box ticking exercise to keep his bosses happy, they aren't optimised for current hardware for someone as perfectionist as he is
60hz mode in GT1, 1080i resolution in one of the PS2 games(?). GT has always had some janky mode or implementation of upcoming tech.

3D and VR are not separate from this continuation. Just that it's a preview of an upcoming tech on an underpowered hardware.

My Rift cv1 getting dusty since release. Only tested some hours assetto corsa.
It is genius but the resolution of the screen is to low. Doesn't matter how much supersampling, objects in the far(50m+)are always unclear.
If in some years 8k displays are ready it will be a blast. The immersion is fantastic, lets see what the future bring to us. PSvr low res display is pure eye cancer:)

After a week of racing on Mount Panorama I picked up the psvr again. I played some Astrobot first then got homesick to Bathurst so fired it up in psvr, same car with Bop enabled, race hard tires, to see if I could beat my best lap time of all last week. It took 12 laps to set a better time in VR. (Of course no fuel weight or tire wear in time trial)

I get less sense of speed in VR (I normally drive in bumper cam) and less view of the road. However it's easier to go through corners when you can actually look at where you want to go. It's also easier to judge the distance to the sides with the walls coming at you in peripheral vision. The track is a lot more scary though with those extreme steep slopes in VR!

I also turned the car around, see how long it would take to get a fast clean lap in reverse. Not that long, about 15 minutes. It's a shame the resolution is so low as the view from Reid park would be amazing while driving the reverse. Yet still no one to race so back to Astrobot.

I am thinking about getting a PSVR. Only my fear is I will get motion sickness.

I never really got motion sickness when passenger in a real car. But I often get it when playing shooters so not sure if I will have the problem.

Weird thing is it is not all shooters. Some I can play forever with no problems. Others It gets real bad after just a few minutes.

Headegg, dizzy, almost make me vommit, and it can last hours before I feel fresh again. So kinda worried if PSVR is for me.

I never really got motion sickness when passenger in a real car. But I often get it when playing shooters so not sure if I will have the problem.

Weird thing is it is not all shooters. Some I can play forever with no problems. Others It gets real bad after just a few minutes.

Headegg, dizzy, almost make me vommit, and it can last hours before I feel fresh again. So kinda worried if PSVR is for me.

Try before you buy.

I've got a friend who cannot play Left4Dead without getting motion sickness due to the FOV. Needless to say he doesn't do well at all in VR.

If you're getting motion sickness from plain old pancake gaming, even from just some games, then IMO there's a good chance that you'll get it ten times worse in VR.

I get it bad on flying games, in particular Valkyrie ( I just have to think of the last time I played it and feel uirrgghh)

GT Sport however is fine and so is Wipeout. Dirt Rally sometimes a little but it’s ok as it’s brilliant.

Astro it is just perfect.

As said, try if you can. But at £199 now it’s not a bad price for such a great experience. For balance I just spent £75 on RDR2....

I get it bad on flying games, in particular Valkyrie ( I just have to think of the last time I played it and feel uirrgghh)

GT Sport however is fine and so is Wipeout. Dirt Rally sometimes a little but it’s ok as it’s brilliant.
Have you tried switching the vehicle camera motion mode?

GT Sport has it off. By default Dirt Rally has it on and the viewpoint fixed so that your view rotates with the car and the world tilts around. I don't get motion sickness but it feels weird and makes it harder to gauge elevation changes imo.

I've always had a tendency towards motion sickness, however, with cautious practice, the PSVR experience is compelling for me. I have persisted with short practice sessions, gradually lengthening them and I'm loving it.

A quick "try before you buy" will not be a good indication of longer term experiences.

60hz mode in GT1, 1080i resolution in one of the PS2 games(?). GT has always had some janky mode or implementation of upcoming tech.

3D and VR are not separate from this continuation. Just that it's a preview of an upcoming tech on an underpowered hardware.

Neither of those were "janky" they were actually amazing and really showed the potential of future hardware.

We sold our VR set up. None of us could get used to the instant motion sickness.:ill:

And IMO this is perhaps the biggest reason VR is a niche product. I have had great fun with VR, but I've also had many days where it left me feeling awful. It is just not worth it IMO. At least a half dozen users I've had try it also left feeling nauseous. Kudos to those that don't experience any motion sickness, but this issue is a problematic limitation with VR tech. FWIW, I've never had any issues with seizures in games, or problems playing FPS games, etc. Don't get car sick, sea sick, etc. But VR definitely can be problematic for me. Until this "motion sickness" problem is resolved (if it even can be fixed), VR will remain a niche product. It's early days with VR so who knows what the future holds, but in its current form I cannot see it ever being mainstream. To be honest, I think AR is probably a more likely long-term winner in this arena, but we shall see.

I see some saying "you need to keep using it to get used to it", etc. Well, that's the problem. Not many people want to play games that make them feel awful for hours before they get enjoyment out of it. lol VR needs to get to the point where motion sickness is a rarity, not something you need to build up an immunity to. I'm keeping my VR gear because I still think it is worth it for the occasional experience....but as it stands now it will never be a primary way for me to play games.

Last edited:
Only the dedicated can ween themselves through vr sickness though.
I wanted it so much that I persevered in small sessions, like literally 30 seconds sometimes. In fact my brain even started associating the new smell of the headset to making me feel ill.

I got to the day when I didn’t feel ill, it is amazing. I’ve completed drive club vr and dirt rally vr, driving in the snow and sleet around wales in vr at such a cheap entry price is beyond amazing.

Family and friends kids who have tried it have all been immune, so maybe it’s an age thing?

And IMO this is perhaps the biggest reason VR is a niche product. I have had great fun with VR, but I've also had many days where it left me feeling awful. It is just not worth it IMO. At least a half dozen users I've had try it also left feeling nauseous. Kudos to those that don't experience any motion sickness, but this issue is a problematic limitation with VR tech. FWIW, I've never had any issues with seizures in games, or problems playing FPS games, etc. Don't get car sick, sea sick, etc. But VR definitely can be problematic for me. Until this "motion sickness" problem is resolved (if it even can be fixed), VR will remain a niche product. It's early days with VR so who knows what the future holds, but in its current form I cannot see it ever being mainstream. To be honest, I think AR is probably a more likely long-term winner in this arena, but we shall see.

I see some saying "you need to keep using it to get used to it", etc. Well, that's the problem. Not many people want to play games that make them feel awful for hours before they get enjoyment out of it. lol VR needs to get to the point where motion sickness is a rarity, not something you need to build up an immunity to. I'm keeping my VR gear because I still think it is worth it for the occasional experience....but as it stands now it will never be a primary way for me to play games.

It might well be a contributing reason not many people have picked it up yet. I do wonder what the actual statistics are for people getting motion sickness as in my experience everyone who has tried psvr at my house had no issues. The big problem still is that you can't really try it out anywhere and any 5 minute session will leave you initially disoriented. It's like throwing someone into their first fps game having never played video games before and ask after 5 minutes, you want to pay big bucks to play this?

The motion sickness problem might never be resolved for everyone as plenty people suffer from it without vr. Some people get it while playing on tv. Yet cars and video games still became main stream :)

Actually it might get worse with bigger fov tricking the brain even more into perceived motion. All the comfort options are to limit to limit visual motion while VR headsets would like to open up the fov to the full 150 degrees per eye. However with room scale games and static view points it should get better with higher frame rates, less lag and more stable tracking.

Do you have any issues with games like Statik (sit in a chair pretty much all game), Bound (auto teleporting camera), Superhot or Fastastic contraption (you move around in the word).

Astrobot is one of the most comfortable games atm. Camera movement is very limited and stable while you physically look all around and move your head to get a view of the level.

The only solution for car sims would be a fully moving simulator that matches the car movements. It already exists, with better VR headsets it will be mindblowing :)

Yeah not getting that in the living room in my life time lol. And it would still cause motion sickness in those prone to it. Plenty people wouldn't survive racing down Mount Panorama in real life either without coming out feeling a little green.

In fairness, VR in GTS is so good, it actually works AGAINST the game...

Without a full grid of human opponents, all VR in GTS does is make you want to get a decent PC and play PC2 or ACC, etc. in VR.

My great fear is, when a PS5 comes out, PD will once again leverage its power for 2D eye candy a gen past GTS, and use it all up to the point that VR won't handle it, and give us a crappy half game in VR. There comes a time when, in 2D, enough is ENOUGH! It's good enough already it needs nothing more (other than weather and ToD, etc!), definitely no more resolution. PD should leverage any extra power in the PS5 towards VR alone...

But they are PD... Who honestly expects anything logical?!

As to VR induced motion sickness, it only affects a small percentage, and is fairly easily mitigated by working up to full races in small increments. A bit like gaining your 'sea legs' when stuck on a boat for months (cruise ship experience for me!). There are always a small few who never get accustomed, and yes, they are the ones likeliest to make a fuss about it, but VR is being used on a HUGE scale on PC's, and it isn't the little used technical exercise it is on PSVR. So I doubt this is a real reason for Sony to not pursue the technology.

I have found that skipping the tracks with much elevation for the first few weeks made a huge difference in getting my 'VR legs' under me. Side to side doesn't induce the same degree of nausea than ups and downs! Horse Thief Mile can still give me the odd dry heave!

The weird thing is, PC2's elevation changes are vastly more realistic in 2D than GTS... Basically, the car pivots up and down around your viewpoint much more than GTS, and launching over the Corkscrew, or heading down towards Eau Rouge feels FAR closer to the VR experience. I've had the occasional twinge in 2D in PC2! It isn't just a VR thing! GTS in 2D now feels like your head is nailed to the seat, with little feeling of rise and fall. My first time round the Ring in VR made me aware that PC2's 2D is far closer to the real thing...

Back