VR has ruined GTS for me.

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 122 comments
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Chameleon9000
*Siiiiiighh*.

A couple of months ago, I decided rather foolishly to spend my hard earned money on PSVR. This was foolish for a number of reasons. Firstly, the library of games that exists for this thing is pretty sad, and secondly, it has genuinely ruined my experience of every game ive tried with it. It just feels so much better, natural and cooler to play a game in VR, why would I wanna do anything else.

This problem has made even more of an impact for GTS than any other game because VR is only available basically as a time trial simulator. Which would seriously be fine by me, I dont mind that a system taxing and unique, cool experience is limited to a degree, but the problem is VR is so much more enjoyable to me than playing on my monitor that I basically dont want to play the rest of the game now. :lol:

The other problem is playing in VR is so much more intuitive for me that going back to a monitor actually takes a good 30 mins or so to get back up to speed, giving me even more incentive to not bother.

The final problem I have with it is that VR is quite a challenge to set up; its not really a plug-in-and-play experience. Every tome you want to play you have to turn it on, adjust the headset, recenter it, then navigate though menus, go to the track, readjust headphones and pedals and seat position whilst effectively blind (taking the headset off means taking the earphones off too and then readjusting the center point again and then putting the headphones on again, just an irritating affair) and its all just a lot of bother for what is otherwise a groundbreaking experience.

I dont really know the point I'm trying to make here, other than maybe be careful with VR, maybe hold off from buying it untill more games have started to adopt it wholeheartedly and theyve fixed some of the ergonomic irritations that currently plague the system.

In the last couple of days I have made the decision to give Sport mode a go again (ive actually not played much of it, only about 30 races) but its taken quite a lot of weening myself off the headset to be """"fast""""without it again.

Whats youre experience with it, or if you dont have VR, would you like to give it a try? Whats the main reason you havent yet? I feel like there isnt an awful lot of discussion about it around here.

I've not tried it, & have decided not to for the following reason; a mate of mine got Oculus for his PC & he absolutely loves it. In fact, to quote him; "I can't go back to pancake mode anymore". If VR is that good, that much of a game changer, I really don't want to try it. Firstly, it's all rather expensive & I don't wanna be tempted into spending more money that I don't really have. Secondly, like you already mentioned GTS is very light on the VR side of things, so not much to do anyway. Thirdly, the PSVR is a nightmare mess of cables & breakout boxes, & I can't be bothered to set it all up. I already have a Playseat Evo & wheels/pedals, & I don't want more stuff clogging up my home.

I think VR is going to be the future, especially on PC, & probably on the next generation of consoles as well. I can't wait to see what Pimax end up doing with their 200° field of vision 8k headsets, but for me the current iterations of VR are lacking in resolution & field of view as well as being expensive, cumbersome, & not that well supported. Imho they are not much more than novelties on PS4 at the present time, & I'm gonna be sensible & play the waiting game for now.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it with GTS, but I did get several sessions on it with PC2 in a simulator when I was at the British F1 GP back in July (and held fastest time of the day from 10am up to the 5.15pm deadline, before some 17 year old kid beat me :mad::D).

Felt very initiative, and overall pretty awesome... I've been considering getting it for home... do you need PS4 pro for VR, or will it work on a 'normal' PS4?

This sounds like someone struggling to deal with The Matrix :lol:

Isn't PCar's fully VR on PS4?

The first game was announced as supporting PS VR (Or Morpheus, as it was known back then), but like so many other things, it was nothing but lies by the Dev team, and the game ultimately did not support it. They didn't even bother correcting themselves. They just "forgot" about it. That's what bad developers do. I don't know if the 2nd game supports it, but I don't think it does.

I have always said that this generation of console is a step behind what VR needs in order to be done justice. PS5 will be a platform worthy of it.

Have you tried the PS VR? You're right that it is a limited experience as of now, but given that VR will require entirely new ways of doing gameplay and such, perhaps it's not a bad thing that the early teething problems regarding actual gameplay is solved early on, so that when games look closer to what we'd see on a TV, the gameplay will also be up to the same standard.

I don't own a lot of VR games, but Battlezone and Resident Evil 7 have been some of my most amazing gameplay experiences ever, and for those games alone, I recommend the PS VR. The current gen PS4 does not really seem like much of a limiting factor in those games. For racing games on the PS VR you are limited to Driveclub and Dirt Rally, and a few smaller titles.

As for the OP. As per usual, PD lacks the inclination to commit to anything they do, thus the VR implementation is just another half assed feature.

do you need PS4 pro for VR, or will it work on a 'normal' PS4
I play on a regular PS4, and it is quite fuzzy when youre playing I must say, however I personalky never find it jarring, despite my love of graphics and visuals in games.

I have always said that this generation of console is a step behind what VR needs in order to be done justice. PS5 will be a platform worthy of it.
You are probably very correct, it was just too enticing of a proposition to not give it a go :lol:.

To be fair even my HTV Vive Pro and 1080Ti's in SLi don't really do VR justice. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic experience and PSVR is very good considering the hardware it runs on but I think we are looking at another 5 years before justice will be done to VR. So I would say it'll probably be PS6 before it is good enough to be acceptable to all.

Last edited:
I would say it's more a problem of VR being a generation early. Or rather not having eye tracking is causing the games to be too taxing. With eye tracking the games could be nearly the same quality as pancake games because the game could render only the things you are looking at in great detail and leave the periphery less detailed.

I had to stop playing in cockpit cam after getting PSVR. The VR experience is just on a whole different level with how you can for example peek around the A-pillar if it's blocking your view to the apex. The whole presence of the car being there in 3D makes you so much more aware of where the wheels are.

I almost played PSVR exclusively for over a year since release. GTS has actually weened me off PSVR with sport mode as I don't enjoy hotlapping at all, not even VR can fix that. And as you said, switching between VR and pancake mode is too much of an adjustment to keep going back and forth.

As much as I love VR, I got tired of playing games that only last an hour or two. I did play a couple that lasted much longer, spend over 60 hours in RE7 (completed the hardest mode twice, awesome stuff), completed every accolade in DC VR, enjoyed the Solus Project very much, 130 hours in Skyrim VR. A lot of shorter games were awesome as well like Superhot VR, Statik, REZ Infinite, Thumper, Polybius, I expect you to die, Fantastic contraption, Battlezone, Arizona Sunshine, Until dawn rush of blood, Cavernous wastes, Farpoint, ST Bridge crew, Windlands, Here they lie, Eagle flight, Tethered and Wayward sky.

So much variety and new things to try in VR, I've bought over 60 VR games in the first year. However currently I rather sink my teeth in one game and that's not possible in VR. There's Dirt Rally yet I already played that a lot in 2D and while awesome in VR it's essentially the same as hot lapping... Wipeout is amazing in VR as well, yet I also played that to death already on the ps3 and sport mode is simply more fun. (I never really like the weapons in Wipeout, pure racing is more fun)

So now I'm in the boat of too much hassle to set everything up again. When I was playing PSVR every night I had it all laid out ready and dialed in, pop on the headset and go. It's all laying downstairs atm in a heap of wires atm and the box tower for the perfect position of the camera has been dismantled. I've also grown to hate the move tracking, that thing should be retired first. It was great that I could use the old controllers again, big cost saving, and for the first year the twitchy tracking was forgiveable. However I really want more stability and precision.

I'll get it out again when GTS adds sport mode to VR, or when a decent game comes out that lasts longer than a few hours. It was the best year of gaming I have had since 1998. So innovative, so new, so fresh, yet ultimately it stalled for me on not being able to provide full games.

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

Sorry, I coudln't help myself.

I got PSVR 2 weeks after GT Sport launched. Blew my mind when I tried it with my wheel rig. I upgraded to PS4 Pro not long after. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable, especially in draw distance and sharper images. When they added Time Trials in VR, I was hooked, hotlapping endlessly, enjoying the beautiful interiors and living out my car guy fantasies. The limited VR modes don't bother me, as I absolutely enjoy hotlapping to relieve stress after a hard day at work without the pressure of maintaining DR/SR in Sport Mode. Don't get me wrong, I still love Sport Mode, but it's stressful! There's a time and place for all that adrenaline, but I've found that given my limited time to play, VR Time Trials do it for me most of the time.

I get what you mean about the hassle of getting into the rig and "jacking into the Matrix". But I kinda enjoy it. I tell myself this is what real racing drivers have to do every time they strap into their cars, haha. My wheel rig and PSVR are permanently set up, never in storage, so it's always ready to go.

Having a wheel rig with PSVR is the ultimate experience for driving/piloting/cockpit games. I don't even really want a big TV anymore...TVs just seem so...passé. I'm kinda glad the whole of GT Sport isn't VR, otherwise I'd never come back to the real world!

Of course.
All those colored lines transformed into a single line of play (nevertheless, we know that the whole truth is contained in it ;)...

I only play VR in iRacing in PC, and as a result, I don't play other titles. just iRacing 24/7 with my oculus rift CV1.

But on console, Ive just upgraded to HDR and PS4Pro , and now Im enjoying the experience.

Totally agree with this. I just hope PS5 has the processing power to deal with VR to a similar quality that PCs do.

I have PSVR and I do love it on GT Sport. Every time I get bored of doing time trials, it does pain me that I can't do a proper race with it.

Totally agree with this. I just hope PS5 has the processing power to deal with VR to a similar quality that PCs do.

I have PSVR and I do love it on GT Sport. Every time I get bored of doing time trials, it does pain me that I can't do a proper race with it.
I hope the original psvr will be supported with the ps5. (not likely)

Yeah would have thought extremely unlikely unfortunately.

The technology of VR headsets will surely have moved on by the time PS5 is out.

The price of it will be scary :nervous:
Not neccesarily though. The tech of the psvr is sound. The problem is that the Ps4 and pro are not up to the task to provide a better vr experience. Head to head the PSvr isnt that much inferior to the oculus or vive. I believe it is possible to run the PSVR on PC. So hopefully those guys at sony wont leave PSVR owners hanging. In my opinion it would make buying the ps5 early in its cycle a lot more appealing. And it might not be impossible, the PS5 should be backwards compatible with PS4 games. So why not make hardware backwards compatible? I suspect Sony is making their best profitmargins on first party games anyways.

The first game was announced as supporting PS VR (Or Morpheus, as it was known back then), but like so many other things, it was nothing but lies by the Dev team, and the game ultimately did not support it. They didn't even bother correcting themselves. They just "forgot" about it. That's what bad developers do. I don't know if the 2nd game supports it, but I don't think it does.

Have you tried the PS VR? You're right that it is a limited experience as of now, but given that VR will require entirely new ways of doing gameplay and such, perhaps it's not a bad thing that the early teething problems regarding actual gameplay is solved early on, so that when games look closer to what we'd see on a TV, the gameplay will also be up to the same standard.

I don't own a lot of VR games, but Battlezone and Resident Evil 7 have been some of my most amazing gameplay experiences ever, and for those games alone, I recommend the PS VR. The current gen PS4 does not really seem like much of a limiting factor in those games. For racing games on the PS VR you are limited to Driveclub and Dirt Rally, and a few smaller titles.

As for the OP. As per usual, PD lacks the inclination to commit to anything they do, thus the VR implementation is just another half assed feature.

PS4 lacks performance, that is the reason why pcars 1 didn't get the VR support finally (the dev talked about in their forums if I remember correctly)

For PC2 they directly said not probable, the standard PS4 even suffer with the game without vr...

And same happend with Assetto Corsa, the PS4 and PSVR doesn't achieve the minimum standards that Kunos wanted.

Dirt rally is the best in and 100% in PSVR , but can be cause the game used still the game engine from the old generation..
Dirt 4 with the new engine doesn't have VR compatibility.

Wipeout is also a full vr compatible, but as dirt rally, it uses the game engine from past generation..

And driveclub.. They made the vr game apart with less cars, less ai cars on track, no dynamic climate, less details, no more dynamic shadows..

I also think that VR is the feature and fits perfectly for driving games ... But I think that Sony should have waited until the next generation of consoles and also allow the studios make VR compatibility for "PS4 Pro only"... But they didn't, as they pholicy says that the VR has to be on standard PS4 and PS4 Pro only can have a bit more performance.

Personally, and after trying the oculus rift on a friends PC, I will wait until the next generation of consoles to see what happens or go to PC with the next generation of VR headsets

PS4 lacks performance, that is the reason why pcars 1 didn't get the VR support finally (the dev talked about in their forums if I remember correctly)

For PC2 they directly said not probable, the standard PS4 even suffer with the game without vr...

And same happend with Assetto Corsa, the PS4 and PSVR doesn't achieve the minimum standards that Kunos wanted.

Dirt rally is the best in and 100% in PSVR , but can be cause the game used still the game engine from the old generation..
Dirt 4 with the new engine doesn't have VR compatibility.

Wipeout is also a full vr compatible, but as dirt rally, it uses the game engine from past generation..

And driveclub.. They made the vr game apart with less cars, less ai cars on track, no dynamic climate, less details, no more dynamic shadows..

I also think that VR is the feature and fits perfectly for driving games ... But I think that Sony should have waited until the next generation of consoles and also allow the studios make VR compatibility for "PS4 Pro only"... But they didn't, as they pholicy says that the VR has to be on standard PS4 and PS4 Pro only can have a bit more performance.

Personally, and after trying the oculus rift on a friends PC, I will wait until the next generation of consoles to see what happens or go to PC with the next generation of VR headsets

The lack of performance is just an excuse. Most people with VR would be happy with last gen graphics if that meant full games in VR. Wipeout and Skyrim (that couldn't even reach 30 fps on ps3) run great on PSVR. Port GT6 to VR instead of using these highly detailed cars you can hardly see on the low res VR screen.

The bigger problem is the price and hassle that comes with it. It's not easy to market, plus most people need to get used to it first. A 15 minute demonstration might wow some, might leave some others feeling not so great. Which means slow uptake, low user base, not a lot of money to be made on games. Means no big games, which makes it harder to market again.

I guess Skyrim VR didn't make all that much money in the end or else we would be seeing more old ports. I would love to play Dead Space again on PSVR, Bioshock, Dishonored, Red dead redemption, GTA 4.

However devs are also still afraid of full movement, and there are severe limitations to the move controllers when it comes to movement. I'm fine with running around in VR with the DS4. With move it's painful. Yet with the DS4 you can only use one hand. It's a huge step forward in immersion and 2 steps back in control. It will get better next gen. Graphics are the least of its problems.

Last edited:
The lack of performance is just an excuse. Most people with VR would be happy with last gen graphics if that meant full games in VR. Wipeout and Skyrim (that couldn't even reach 30 fps on ps3) run great on PSVR. Port GT6 to VR instead of using these highly detailed cars you can hardly see on the low res VR screen.

The bigger problem is the price and hassle that comes with it. It's not easy to market, plus most people need to get used to it first. A 15 minute demonstration might wow some, might leave some others feeling not so great. Which means slow uptake, low user base, not a lot of money to be made on games. Means no big games, which makes it harder to market again.

I guess Skyrim VR didn't make all that much money in the end or else we would be seeing more old ports. I would love to play Dead Space again on PSVR, Bioshock, Dishonored, Red dead redemption, GTA 4.

However devs are also still afraid of full movement, and there are severe limitations to the move controllers when it comes to movement. I'm fine with running around in VR with the DS4. With move it's painful. Yet with the DS4 you can only use one hand. It's a huge step forward in immersion and 2 steps back in control. It will get better next gen. Graphics are the least of its problems.

Wipeout HD runned at 60fps on PS4, Skyrm thanks to the more powerful hardware of PS4 and downgrade for PSVR can get the minimum 60fps needed for VR.

I devs like those of assetto said that the there is a lack of performance, cause they have to start making vr compatibility on base of The Standard PS4.. Well, I believe them, cause they are the first ones in having interest to make a game compatible an so they can have better sales due it.

VR on consoles just came to soon, next generation will be a lot better for the VR

Wipeout HD runned at 60fps on PS4, Skyrm thanks to the more powerful hardware of PS4 and downgrade for PSVR can get the minimum 60fps needed for VR.

I devs like those of assetto said that the there is a lack of performance, cause they have to start making vr compatibility on base of The Standard PS4.. Well, I believe them, cause they are the first ones in having interest to make a game compatible an so they can have better sales due it.

VR on consoles just came to soon, next generation will be a lot better for the VR

There is a lack of performance to port the game with minimal effort so it can be cost effective. It takes time and effort to properly downgrade the car models and track detail, yet the ps4 can easily handle racing games at 60 fps in psvr. The would not get enough sales to cover the cost of a proper conversion.

Next gen could be better, however the same performance difference might still exist. Make an engine and assets that takes everything out of the ps5 to run at near 30 or 60 fps and it will again be too costly to downgrade to psvr. Plus there is a lot more work to be done, like making sure menus work and are readable in VR. Comfort options, proper 3D instead of post processed / faked 3D elements, correct positioning inside the car interiors, modeling of parts that never need to be rendered on a flat screen among others.

To eliminate the performance difference we'll need foveated rendering and pupil tracking to be ready for next gen. However that would drive up the cost of the headset and there's still a lot more work to be done on games than simply making it run in stereoscopic 3D with head tracking.

What to do, launch next gen with a cheap low res headset to speed up adoption, and perhaps the resolution difference between 4K flat screen and 1080p VR is enough to cover the extra performance needed. Or go all out with a HD VR headset with pupil tracking and foveated rendering to lure people in with the promise of HD VR. Perhaps both?

I know this is rather not relevant, but do any of you know if Oculus Rift will work with my Quadro P2000? It's a workstation VGA so I'm not sure if it can be used for high-end VR gaming.

The other problem is playing in VR is so much more intuitive for me that going back to a monitor actually takes a good 30 mins or so to get back up to speed, giving me even more incentive to not bother
It just feels so much better, natural and cooler to play a game in VR, why would I wanna do anything else.
My solution to these problems is to practice for sport races in VR. Save the VR best lap and race the ghost in sport quali. Switching between the two gets easier with repetition. It took a bit of getting used to but I can now switch without needing warm-up time. I've ditched cockpit view on flat screen so I can match my VR times. It's not ideal but it's the only way to get the most out of VR while still getting to race.

My solution to these problems is to practice for sport races in VR. Save the VR best lap and race the ghost in sport quali. Switching between the two gets easier with repetition. It took a bit of getting used to but I can now switch without needing warm-up time. I've ditched cockpit view on flat screen so I can match my VR times. It's not ideal but it's the only way to get the most out of VR while still getting to race.
Since writing this thread ive sort of adooted something simar to this. It was just sorta startijg to hurt not being able to play sport mode :nervous::lol:

Back