VR update is garbage

• Thread starter SRCorner
  • 85 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've spent a bunch of time tuning the VR graphics and it's pretty broken guys. New track and car are pretty awesome as long as you don't run it in VR.

No problems on my end. Fired it up last night and VR loaded up fine with no problems. Took the Bentley around the Nurburgring for about 45 minutes and everything was fine, ran smooth, no stuttering, no issues at all. Definitely room for improvement, stuff in the very far distance was a bit blurry/distorted, stuff in the peripheral was slightly blurry/distorted but nothing major and not enough to really bother me. Then again I'm not super picky and usually look for positives instead of negatives.

I didn't have any of the issues mentioned in the video, it was pretty light on specifics though other than just declaring it garbage. Certainly wasn't anything near garbage on my end and I really enjoyed driving that tank around. It's a first-pass at VR and their first attempt at doing VR in UE4 so expectations should be low at this point. I read some of the comments on Steam and was expecting a disaster but at least on my system it exceeded my expectations and I had no problems at all. Not saying it's at the quality level of AC or iRacing yet but it's certainly good enough to race with and 100x better than racing on the monitors (IMO), looking forward to spending more time with it.

I was also pretty sceptical how my GTX1070 would handle VR with this update but I was pleasantly surprised. As Brandon above described there are some issues that definately should be improved and I should probably also mention those menus that are quite close to your eyes currently in VR. But as a early access version this update was also exceeding my expectations.

I should probably also mention those menus that are quite close to your eyes currently in VR.

Simple fix. Use ctrl+left/right arrows and ctrl+shift+left/right arrows to adjust the size and position of the hud and menu screens. Also, use the up/down arrows along with ctrl and ctrl+shift to adjust your seat position up/down/forward/backward. There were a few other suggestions in the Steam release notes.

IMG_2423.jpg

Simple fix. Use ctrl+left/right arrows and ctrl+shift+left/right arrows to adjust the size and position of the hud and menu screens. Also, use the up/down arrows along with ctrl and ctrl+shift to adjust your seat position up/down/forward/backward. There were a few other suggestions in the Steam release notes.

I was aware of these were working when driving but didn't read properly to notice that these work also for menu screens. Thanks!

I was aware of these were working when driving but didn't read properly to notice that these work also for menu screens. Thanks!

Yeah, I kinda found it by accident. I couldn't get the hud in a position that was pleasing though so I ended up just moving it behind me so it wouldn't distract me. It had some kind of weird distortion and I couldn't get the size/scale to where it was away from my face but still readable. I didn't tinker with it much though since I was just wanting to turn some solo laps and get a feel for things, maybe I can improve it.

Swevir says it is bad.

From my reading today the results are definitely mixed, so don't take any one person's opinion on how good or bad VR is at the moment. Seems like those with the Rift, like myself, are having pretty good results. Vive users are having mixed results. Most WMR users seems to be not able to play at all. On my CV1 I had no problems and it exceeded my expectations, only time I had even a stutter was when I tried turning the resolution up to 150. If they can get the other HMD's running like the Rift does everyone will be happy...........oh, I forgot we're talking about sim racers, they'll still find plenty to be unhappy about. :lol:

Swevir says it is bad.

Yeah, but that's the Pimax. It needs a monster GPU.
I'm guessing by the time a GPU comes out that can run it properly the competition will probably have caught up fov wise, probably Rift 2 with 140 fov.

vr hotfix is out
Is it any good?

You forgot the changelog

0.2.1 Changelog
- Enabled basic keyboard controls for UI (up, down, left, right, enter, back, pgup, pgdown)
- VR: Fixed wrong camera scaling that made 6DOF appear to not work correctly
- Added possibility to look left/right on current car and during replay (not only for the player car)
- Added possibility to centre view in VR by holding look left or right or back (or cycle left or right in the UI) keys for 2 seconds
- Fixed HUD not updating electronics values after car setup
- Fixed filter on Car Selection page
- Fixed pitstop casually affecting the wrong car
- Fixed gamepad vibrating when paused
- Different loading mode for some sound assets
- Fixed ambient sounds not paused during slow motion / FFWD in replay
- Better timing for start/stop music
- Events poliphony optimisation
- Tweaked sound distance attenuation for some events
- Fast Rolling start is now default in every Realism preset
- Fixed slow AI in very wet condition due to wrong detection of puddles
- Flames and Sparks are now not rendered in internal cameras in the focused car to avoid unwanted flashes
- Fixed offset values not refreshing when the camera is changed while in View Settings page
- Tweaked mandatory pitstop request timing
- Added minimum pit window length (5 mins)
- Fixed possible crashes after 30 minutes

I'm going to give it pop in a bit. Nothing mentioning VR performance improvements in the change log but it's good they've addressed some bothersome bits.

I hope they improve the HUD, it's weird. The main problem is that if you move it to a comfortable distance (so it's not right up in your face) it's too small to read. There's also a huge distance between the two eyes which makes it look weird, it's like you have to focus on a different plane to see it which makes the car and track out of focus. So for now my solution is to just turn it off, but then every time I hit the pause button the HUD returns when I unpause and I have to reach over and fiddle for F2 to turn it off again.

Other than those little issues it all works pretty well on my system. I'm still tinkering with the video settings to find my optimal setup but I'm fairly happy with how it looks and performs so far. I have a Rift CV1 though, it seems like all other VR systems are not currently functioning as well as the Rift does (at least not pre-hotfix).

I started to get doubts about the Pimax 5k+. SweVir mentioned on his youtube account that ACC doesn't function properly on the Pimax.

Apparently adding this stuff to the engine.ini really makes a huge difference (for the better) in VR quality. I haven't tried it yet, plan to tinker with it tonight.

This will seriously fix VR visuals for now:

You can play with the vr.PixelDensity value vs. ingame Resolution Scale, haven't experimented much if it overwrites one another or what.
I prefer AA set to Temporal, High. Don't use Epic, not worth it.

\Users\you\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
Open "engine.ini" and insert this at the bottom of the rest:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2

Source:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/share-your-vr-graphic-settings.160409/#post-2846803

None of those zeros look like anything I'd miss, or even notice. Most people are saying the image quality and performance are improved using those settings. As a VR user I'm already used to giving up a little bit of eye candy in trade for a better/smoother picture so it won't bother me any at least. I'll report back my findings when I get a chance to try it.

If someone could film the actual VR image quality of ACC instead of filming ACC on a monitor while testing VR would be much easier to see how ACC looks on VR.

If someone could film the actual VR image quality of ACC instead of filming ACC on a monitor while testing VR would be much easier to see how ACC looks on VR.
Yes, but I think it's difficult to reproduce properly, since you still look through a camera lens and not your own eyes.

Yes, but I think it's difficult to reproduce properly, since you still look through a camera lens and not your own eyes.

I agree on both counts. This is the for all VR titles, they look differently through a VR headset than recorded from a monitor. But recording through the lens isn't easy to get right either. And really you'd need a expensive camera setup which isn't viable for me for at least. I do mention in the description it looks better on a headset than the recording.

Yeah, it's easier said than done and still doesn't give a 100% representation of what it looks like to your eyes in the headset because your brain does some editing to fill in any gaps. I held my cell phone up to the headset lens with AC to give an idea of what it looks like, once I try the new VR settings I can try to do the same with ACC just so you have an idea of what it looks like. VR isn't perfect but if you give your brain time to adapt to it it's a very enjoyable experience and literally changes the game.

If I could find a rather cheap OR, HTC Vive second hand, I think I would buy it and try to sell it when a second gen. affordable VR HMD is released.

If I could find a rather cheap OR, HTC Vive second hand, I think I would buy it and try to sell it when a second gen. affordable VR HMD is released.

If you can have patience and give yourself time to adapt to it I think you'd really enjoy it. It has some shortcomings but none of them are an issue for me and the benefits far outweigh them IMO. It actually got me playing non-racing games for the first time in a decade and some of them are more awesome than the racing games. Robo Recall is freaking intense and a better workout than Zumba. :lol:

If it is possible to get a decent eye candy on a GTX970 and play Portal 2 with revive as well as ACC on this VR HMD, I would consider it.

Yeah, it's easier said than done and still doesn't give a 100% representation of what it looks like to your eyes in the headset
Yes, I'm not seeing any SDE or glare, which I suppose are two of the things that get lost in translation.

Yes, I'm not seeing any SDE or glare, which I suppose are two of the things that get lost in translation.

I don't really get much of either of those in AC. In iRacing both are mostly absent, looks almost as good as my monitor. Getting a bit of SDE and glare in ACC but I'm hoping that goes away a bit with the .ini tweaks and with getting my settings dialed in more.

I don't really get much of either of those in AC. In iRacing both are mostly absent, looks almost as good as my monitor. Getting a bit of SDE and glare in ACC but I'm hoping that goes away a bit with the .ini tweaks and with getting my settings dialed in more.
Sounds good. I've actually been a bit surprised of how good it looks in your videos. I often see "looks like crap" comments when monitor users try VR for the first time and don't like it. Are they exaggerating a bit maybe?

Back