[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those interested in possibly being a commentator next year, please contact me within the next week. We have figured out 2017 plans as far as recorders and editors go, and that should be part of what's unveiled on July 4th when the 2017 thread opens up.

VRR Reporter: As the field prepares for this weekend's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Sakura Ishibashi has come out of her media blackout to confirm what Cat Devil Racing said over the weekend. She will be moving from Cat Devil Racing to Cherokee Motorsports as their second full time driver alongside Michael White next season. This weekend, obviously on the conflicted side of things as open wheel racing returns to Las Vegas after 5 years of absence following the death of Dan Wheldon in 2011. Ishibashi, who has been in shelter from the media following the tragedy at Indianapolis, has confirmed she will speak out to the media on Friday morning before practice begins to discuss specifically the details of the move.

This weekend for VRR IndyCar saw the field compete in the Firestone 600K at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Round 14  FP101.PNG
Round 14 FP102.PNG
Round 14 FP201.PNG
Round 14 FP202.PNG
Round 14 Qual01.PNG
Round 14 Qual02.PNG
Round 14 Race01.PNG
Round 14 Race02.PNG

Points standings have been updated in the OP.

Just survive to next year, just survive to next year, just survive to next year.....and keep 911 on stand by, who knows what Jesus is gonna do.

"Elephant in the room is that at the end of the season, and to be more precise, November 8th, my contract for Cat Devil Racing will be terminated and I will embark on a new journey with Cherokee Motorsports in 2017. I am going to be extremely vocal on the fact that I do not see eye to eye with Clayton Hardy and how his team operates in the slightest. At Cat Devil Racing, all of us contribute and earn results as a team, and there is a very family like atmosphere. We look out for each other, and I personally feel like an environment like that is where racing should be. It should be fun to participate in each weekend, and I feel that there are a couple of teams that cannot understand what fun means. I was very looking forward to working with Jerome and Kaylee next year and teaching both of them and Nii Aryeetey some of the things I have learned under short notice this year. Audi came to me after Belle Isle and asked if there was any chance of me racing in an Audi powered car next year. In which case, I said that I had a contract with CDR and it lasted until the end of next year. Audi proceeded to buy out the second year of my contract and asked me to find a seat in an Audi team next year. I had a lot of say to where I wanted to go if I wasn't staying in CDR. The problem is that I didn't have a lot of options. So we began to talk with Ecurie Ecosse, and that seemed reasonable until comments were made about Sony and some of its properties. I personally am not fond of Sony. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't care for the company or its products. But Sony is a massive invester in CDR and that understandably brought those talks to a halt. And because everyone else had literally ditched Audi for other engines, I was stuck having to join up with this moron from Kentucky who probably has as much business sense as a decaying defective nuclear missile. It gets fun because while I have signed all of my sponsors to contracts, they support me, not that team until I sign a contract with them, which I'm delaying for as long as possible in the hope that someone else picks me up before November 8th rolls around. Now, I'm certainly not going to look over the fact that the team is probably one of the strongest underdog teams in the series. However, I am not looking for an assist for a team championship. This isn't basketball or football or rugby. Ii want a series championship, and this is a plain and simple truth; if you race for Black Rose Racing or Cherokee Motorsports, you will never win a championship on your own merit. They both simply can't support champion quality drivers. So, to my extended family at Cat Devil Racing, if I'm not spewing engine smoke I'll make lapping me as easy as possible."

Last edited:
Yesterday was the Spotify Indy 300 from Phoenix International Raceway.
Round 15 FP101.PNG
Round 15 FP102.PNG
Round 15 FP201.PNG
Round 15 FP202.PNG
Round 15 Qual01.PNG
Round 15 Qual02.PNG
Round 15 Race01.PNG
Round 15 Race02.PNG
Of the 15 races run in 2016 thus far, there have been 13 different winner as well as 13 different pole winners. Of the 13 race winners, only Stephanie Porter-Kelley and Jett Raven has won more than once, both winning twice. Porter-Kelley is also the only driver to have more than one pole position, having earned three this season.

Addressing the race itself: "It was a crazy day, absolutely. Hot as hell, and chaotic until after that final caution. We lost a bit of our lead in the points, which isn't great, but we have Milwaukee coming up so maybe we can rebound on the shorter ovals."

On the race winner: "I can't be upset about Glover getting the win. He survived better than anyone else. Audi in general brought a better package and him and Jaramillo did a great job all race long. He earned it."

About the possibility of being champion: "It's a weird place for me. If I manage to win the whole thing, I'll probably keep myself full time to defend that title. If not, I might just step aside for someone else to get a chance at a world championship. We'll see. One race at a time and we'll see what Fontana will do for us at the end."

I haven't seen a full race, but I did see a number of videos of this series including rounds at Kentucky and Indianapolis last night. This is a very cool concept to have IndyCar Series racing in a series like this.

I haven't seen a full race, but I did see a number of videos of this series including rounds at Kentucky and Indianapolis last night. This is a very cool concept to have IndyCar Series racing in a series like this.
We're in a bit of a transitional period as far as broadcasting goes. Full broadcasts should resume in a couple weeks, and I'm working on options to record the races with just straight natural sound for the ones that have been missed. But yeah, it was something that hadn't been done before and I'm happy with how it's developed.

Even with these series in hiatus, it is always a good thing to simply look back at past rounds of these series. I'd surely recommend looking back at past events in this (and other) series looking up videos and stuff.

VRR Reporter: Pretty big hit you took in turn 1. Talk us through your side of things.
Sakura Ishibashi: Yeah, pretty simple. Angel can't drive to save her life it seems. We were climbing through the field, got to the top 5. I made an attempt to pass her on the bottom coming into the first corner and she bounced me below the yellow and away we went. That whole team is just bottomfeeding and I'll pay her back.
VRR Reporter: You alluded to your climb through the field after a bad qualifying. How comfortable did you feel on this fast short oval?
Sakura Ishibashi: I felt great. Qualifying wasn't great. But even in practice our focus was to have a long run race car, and we had that. The DHL Honda was very smooth, very responsive and the CDR team did a great job of giving me some heavenly machinery to work with. Makes me feel even worse given how it's ended up.
VRR Reporter: Back to the booth, Sakura Ishibashi out of this one and obviously frustrated with how her season has gone.

Michael Hayes: It's Milwaukee weekend for the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series, and who better to have in the studio with us than current VRR IndyCar points leader, Stephanie Porter-Kelley! Thanks for joining!
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: Thanks for inviting me!
MH: Now, before we get started, I want to just emphasize that the oldest driver in the series is currently leading the championship. Before we went on air, you had said you didn't imagine being in your position at the beginning of the season. Looking at what you have accomplished now, has it sunk in yet that you could really pull this off?
SPK: Quite a lot to break down there. Yeah, I am the most senior driver in the series, but I'm not even thirty yet, which says a lot about the vitality of the series. I think experience has a lot to do with what I have done, and while we aren't the fastest every race, we've finished every race so far, which says more than I personally could.
MH: We're approaching the final third of the season. After this weekend, the downhill slide begins. You've got a nice margin over everyone in the points. Had you ever thought that you could win the championship?
SPK: Honestly, not to the extent I've been able to do it. You see these powerhouse teams like Black Rose Racing, Cherokee Motorsports, Cat Devil Racing, Team Kate Upton, that's what they are. As teams, they're completely dominating each other. But of all of those teams, there is not one noteworthy driver among them. Several have won races, don't get me wrong, but where are they in the points? You have someone like Nico Costa-Monteiro who is the highest driver of the 18 drivers in those 5 teams collectively, and he has no wins whatsoever, while Alan Herrera, Jamie, and I hold the actual driver's championship with massive intention of winning the thing. I never expected to have quite the stranglehold given the large teams and how small we were at the start of the season. I want to win, but I never expected to.
MH: The season has gone through some turbulence, there's been some lineup changes and as a result, all four of your team next year will be competing against each other for possibly the entire rest of the season. How do you feel about that?
SPK: I think it's great that Cherokee have allowed Diego to shine a bit this year. We aren't teammates yet, and with three of us absolutely in reach of a championship, I would be more upset if Jamie or Jacob didn't race me hard. We aren't teammates yet, so everything's fair.
MH: With how your team is looking next year, Polaris Motorsports looks unstoppable. Certainly this year's stats don't lie...
SPK: This year and next year will be far different as far as performance. I've sunk myself into a rhythm and that rhythm won't be the same next year. Surely we have the talent, and we'll have new Chevrolet engines next year, but we'll be double our 2016 size, which is not something that I can overlook. All I can say is that if we fail to win races next year, it isn't the drivers to blame for the failure.
MH: As for this weekend, what do you expect from the Milwaukee Mile?
SPK: It's been so long since I've raced here, I really can't tell you. We'll be throwing a lot of things at the setup to see what sticks, just like everyone else, so it'll be a very intriguing chess match on Sunday.
MH: Stephanie Porter-Kelley everyone, great to hear from her as we move on to our next topic...

Added the Milwaukee race report. It should be accessible no matter what program you use. Road America coming in a couple hours.

Attachments

• Race 16.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest Posts

Back