[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments
  • 151,120 views

How should the driver names be?


  • Total voters
    29
  • Poll closed .
R18 Q01.PNG
R18 Q02.PNG

Also making the announcement that what I did for qualifying in Indy I will also do for the season finale in Fontana.
 
The slippery slope from the Engine Cup lead continues to progress as once again, Honda finds their cars very low in the standings for the 18th round of the season. Honda were completely locked out of the top 10, and aside from Steven Gnash and Cliff Lagueux, were all in the bottom half of the field. "We can't explain what is going on with our cars at the moment." A HPD spokesperson said. "It's like a light switch had been flipped off for our cars, which is obviously bad news. We have a great margin in the Engine Cup to try to rectify this issue without losing the lead, but we have to move quickly. Pocono is next weekend and we could lose the points lead there."
 
Points have been updated in the OP.
 
Michael Hayes: A disappointing weekend capped off by a 20th place finish for points leader Stephanie Porter-Kelley. Herrera's closed the gap to 3 points. Pocono next weekend, and your team is way better versed in the superspeedways. Can you open that gap up again?
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: We definitely want to. It's crucial now for us to do well at Pocono and Lausitz. We're happy we had that advantage because we genuinely didn't have anything going right. But that can't be the case going forward if we want the title.
MH: The race was a constant struggle. But on big question that I think a lot of people are asking is why you had the rear wing removed?
SPK: We were already at the back of the field. We got rear ended going into pit lane. So, instead of fighting the car, we just experimented and ripped it off. We had decent straightaway speed, but obviously the turns are what matter here.
 
Alex Rivera : We were loose after the first crash and when I saw the 77 coming down the track, at the same time my car got a little loose, then I hit the brakes not spin into him but it just sent me straight.
 
"The car was pushing like a dump-truck right from the start, but the accident on Lap 14 just killed the car and made it an absolute pig to drive. It's a real shame, because in qualifying I thought the #77 Sonic Burger/Coke Zero Special was fast and I had a shot to get a good result in for the hard-working crew at Perlspeed GP."

"It's just a racing deal and it could've happened to anybody, but god it's frustrating. I mean, I know I'm aggressive in the car, but even I know that it's foolish to try and make it 3-wide coming off of Turn 4 that early in the race on a track as narrow as this for... 13th? 14th? Just ridiculous."
 
"A satisfying run and I'm pleased we got a top 10. Everything was working well and we just needed to focus on staying out of trouble. The car wasn't handling as well as I'd like but everything else held strong. Pocono is going to be a much tougher challenge."
 
"I'd honestly do anything just to not remember this race weekend overall even happened. Bad in practice, terrible in qualifying and the race..you get the picture. I'm just focused now on Pocono, we were doing great at Indy so I think the same is possible there"
 
As opening day for practice begins, VRR has announced that the season finale at Auto Club Speedway has sold out. The season finale, which takes place on October 9th, will be the third 500 mile event as part of the triple crown. 34 drivers have been entered into that event, and with there being no bump qualifying, all 34 will start the race.
 
Practice results and starting grid for the Pocono Indy 500 are here.
R19 FP101.PNG
R19 FP102.PNG
R19 FP201.PNG
R19 FP202.PNG
R19 Q01.PNG
R19 Q02.PNG
 
I can sum up these sessions in 3 words. 🤬, 🤬 and 🤬.
 
I think we got really lucky with being the first out on track for our run. We by no means had the fastest car but pole positions are very welcomed especially given the 33 points we earned from it. We have a bit of work to do, but if we can just keep the car in the top ten we should make incredible ground.
 
I've been fluctuating through the teens and twenties, but I'm fine with these results for now. 👍
 
Michael Hayes: Steph, horrendous result in qualifying today. You're starting way back in 26th. What's gone wrong?
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: No idea to be honest. Honda seemed to be a lot better in practice than at Dover, but it went all downhill for most of us today. We'll climb back up the field. We aren't the only championship contenders at the back of the field which is a little bit of a relief. But we need to desperately get up the standings tomorrow. There's a lot of points at stake.
 
VRR Reporter: Well, Jacob, I do remember you saying you should be pretty good at both Pocono and Dover. How were you able to make sure that happened?

Jacob Descoteau: Well, I gotta please the home (sorta) crowd somehow! I know I've got a good amount supporters in the stands, so it all helps boost the moral support. I also have a good amount of experience here, in addition to Dover. I know this track well, so it definitely helps a lot.

VRR: Thoughts going into tomorrow's race?

JD: Just get some clean air and go for it. Stay out of trouble. Hopefully we get a good finish to help with the points battle. We're in reach of a top 5 in the championship, I believe, so we have to make it happen.
 
Pocono Indy 500 has been rain delayed until tomorrow.
 
Soooo yeah, I qualified in the top 10. This doesn't happen so we'll see how this goes.

Seriously, what the crap happened for me to qualify so well, I know that's one of my weaker stats by far. I'm going to look like RACECAR the whole race.
 
Back