[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As the STICS season heads for it's penultimate round at Watkins Glen, Ecurie Ecosse driver Gary Slater has told media he is backing current points leader Stephanie Porter-Kelley for the VRR STICS title.

Slater said, "I hope Stephanie can bring home the gold. She's been on really good form and her becoming champion will prove that women can run with the men in top line motorsports, not just in America, but across the globe. It'll also help boost STICS as one of the most diverse racing series around."

The Rolex Indy Grand Prix of Watkins Glen marked the 23rd round of the 2016 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season, as well as the final road course event of the season. The race started with Gary Slater on pole position and fellow Audi driver Behrris Windross alongside on the front row. The race would begin rather calmly, with championship contender Nico Costa-Monteiro retiring 13 laps in due to an engine failure. The first caution would come out on lap 41 when Cliff Lagueux and Jesus Cristobal collided in the pit lane, forcing the Canadian into the sand barrels at the entrance of pit lane and into retirement. That caution would be extended a lap when Hugo Del Prete and Jamie Ngaire-Jardine collided coming to the race restart. The final caution would come out on lap 61 for a vicious crash involving Clayton Hardy and Mohammad Ahmed in the bus stop, with Ahmed's car flipping before coming to a rest across Hardy's cockpit preventing the latter from getting out of his car unaided. Hardy would later be taken to a local hospital for shoulder injuries from the crash. Four laps later, Jacob Descoteau would crash in the carousel after the bus stop, but he would limp back to pit lane to DNF. Slater, who went largely uncontested, would win the race after leading 74 of 81 laps, with Cherokee Motorsports' Diego Jaramillo securing his fourth second place finish, and championship leader Stephanie Porter-Kelley finishing third to put herself 99 points ahead of Alan Herrera coming into the season finale.

NOTE: YouTube decided to be a prick and not cooperate with me uploading the race video, so that will join Barber, Michigan, Belle Isle, and the others with being uploaded in the offseason.
R23 FP101.PNG
R23 FP102.PNG
R23 FP201.PNG
R23 FP202.PNG
R23 Q01.PNG
R23 Q02.PNG
R23 R01.PNG
R23 R02.PNG

If my calculations are correct, for Jesus to have a sliver of hope he needed to win and SPK to finish dead last this race and last, and as neither of those happened Congratulations to SPK for her dominant season, as well as Slater for the race win. Now, looking at the current standings...Great scott, I can still make the top 5! See you all in Fontanaaaaa!!!! <Tires squealing>

@Angel anything new on the Daytona Jubilee?

All I can think is "Oh, what could have been", when I see where I am in points right now even after DNQing at Indy.

Points situation leading up to Fontana:
Maximum points on offer: 137 (104 from race, 33 from qualifying)
Minimum points on offer: 11 (10 from race, 1 from qualifying)

To stay in contention (within 94 pts.) after qualifying, the following drivers need...
Alan Herrera: Needs to qualify 5 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 9 positions without bonus points.
Jesus Cristobal: Needs to qualify 19 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 23 positions without bonus points.
Hugo Del Prete: Needs to qualify 22 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 26 positions without bonus points.
Thomas Rogers: Needs to qualify 24 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 28 positions without bonus points.
Jamie Ngaire-Jardine: Needs to qualify 28 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 32 positions without bonus points.
B.K. Glover: Needs to qualify 29 positions ahead of Porter-Kelley, or 33 positions without bonus points.

For Porter-Kelley to clinch the championship in qualifying, she would need to qualify within 5 positions of Herrera.

In the case of a tie, the tiebreakers would be:
1) Number of wins in the season. (#84, #51, #20 have 2 wins a piece)
2) Number of pole positions. (#84 has 4 pole positions, no one in contention can match with 1 race remaining.)
3) Number of podiums.
4) Least number of DNFs.
5) Most laps led in season.
6) Order of first win.

The finale will certainly be fun for the sheer craziness. All the lead changes. Only 6 drivers I think didn't lead a lap out of 34. Quite amazing.

"It was a fantastic run today. Everything just fell into place at the right time. The car was the best I've driven all season and the pit guys were awesome. We knew we've had front running pace but never had the circumstances to show for it. It lifts a burden off my shoulders to finally be here in Victory Lane especially in a series as tough as STICS. It's a really special feeling to get that first win and I hope I can do more next year."

I think for the championship Angel should drop the slipcurve to .1 so we all SupaDurifto our way through the race

This can be on loop in the background all race behind the commentary whenever the video is made

Last edited:
I think for the championship Angel should drop the slipcurve to .1 so we all SupaDurifto our way through the race

This can be on loop in the background all race behind the commentary whenever the video is made

Please God NO!!!

Back