[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Orlando-based team have officially released their 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series plans. Those plans include a switch to Chevrolet power, where they will become a factory team, as well as a massive expansion. The team will field two full season cars and two Triple Crown entries. Asides from Porter-Kelley, no driver announcements have been made thus far.

Canadian driver Cliff Lagueux spoke briefly on a conference call saying his driving duty situation looked bleak for 2017.
"Yes, most of my crew have decided that working from Canada for a USA based race series is too strenuous on their family time. As a result I've had to nix my plans of being a driver/owner in 2017.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the series, the driving is really tough but that makes it so much more enjoyable. I would gladly drive for another team if they wanted to hire me."

Later in the day the race team's webpage showed some early designs of an indoor kart track, which the shop would likely become following the end of the season.

Canadian driver Cliff Lagueux spoke briefly on a conference call saying his driving duty situation looked bleak for 2017.
"Yes, most of my crew have decided that working from Canada for a USA based race series is too strenuous on their family time. As a result I've had to nix my plans of being a driver/owner in 2017.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the series, the driving is really tough but that makes it so much more enjoyable. I would gladly drive for another team if they wanted to hire me."

Later in the day the race team's webpage showed some early designs of an indoor kart track, which the shop would likely become following the end of the season.
* You have one unheard message. * BEEEEEP

"Yes, this is B.K. Glover calling Cliff Lagueux. Mr. Lagueux I'd like to have a discussion about a 2017 ride if you are interested. If so, come by my RV during one of our race weekends and we'll hammer out a deal. Thank you."

* You have one unheard message. * BEEEEEP

"Yes, this is B.K. Glover calling Cliff Lagueux. Mr. Lagueux I'd like to have a discussion about a 2017 ride if you are interested. If so, come by my RV during one of our race weekends and we'll hammer out a deal. Thank you."
You only have one full time seat though...

Yeah, but you can only have up to two.
That's fine. I have two plans @GTracerEHTeam
  1. I offer a part time ride guaranteed, and if another team offers you a full time ride you can jump to that team. That way if you don't get a full time offer, you can still race.
  2. You take my seat, and I race part time.

Cherokee Motorsports, while advertising only two full time slots, have been window shopping to fill a silent third full time seat in 2017. The team have been looking very closely at the free agency window, and being a factory team, have a lot of bargaining power on who they decide to pick up. The team has not commented on who its got at the top of its list, but drivers within the Audi circle are a safe bet to be near the top.

That's fine. I have two plans @GTracerEHTeam
  1. I offer a part time ride guaranteed, and if another team offers you a full time ride you can jump to that team. That way if you don't get a full time offer, you can still race.
  2. You take my seat, and I race part time.

I would say go with plan 1. While it's an awesome and generous offer for you to hand me your seat, you came into this with interest in running for yourself. You da boss, you drive your car. I'll gladly take the part time seat if no one is able to seat me full time, so thanks very much for the offer, but we'll see if this gets to a point where it comes into play.

In a press release published earlier today, Coca Cola Black Rose driver Jacob Descoteau says he is still searching for a full-time ride in the 2017 season. He hasn't confirmed any details about who he's talked with yet, but there is still more information to be released as soon as a deal is made. All we know is that it is unlikely he will make a return Black Rose Racing, as well as their support team, as he has said he wants to stay loyal to the Chevrolet marque.

Last edited:
In a press release published earlier today, Coca Cola Black Rose driver Jacob Descoteau says he is still searching for a ride in the 2017 season. He hasn't confirmed any details about who he's talked with yet, but there is still more information to be released as soon as a deal is made. All we know is that it is unlikely he will make a return Black Rose Racing, as well as their support team, as he has said he wants to stay loyal to the Chevrolet marque.
That leaves us out then. :banghead: :lol: #AstonMartin4EVA! :P

12 drivers left...and we need 2 of them...let the fight begin. :P

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 2nd, 2015

Jacob Birmingham, driver of the #14 Sprite Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing Chevy, confirmed that he will not return to the team for the 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season. Birmingham says " I want to thank Angel for giving me the opportunity to race for the CCBRR team in the 2016, but I don't feel like this is a good fit for me moving on in my career." When asked on his relatively quiet presence, Birmingham said : "I have always been the type of racer that is focused on what happens on the track and race at hand, so I try not to let the press get to me as I want to give 100 percent on my race and to my team that has worked so hard to get me here." As for his 2017 plans, "I would like to race full-time in 2017, I bring my personal sponsor, Under Armour, along with me and they have said that they want to become a primary sponsor for next year. I'm willing to work with any team who wants me on their driving roster". Before the press conference ended he was asked on what engine manufacturer he would prefer, Birmingham said "As long as they put forth a competitive motor, I do not have any preference on what it says on the engine cover".

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 2nd, 2015

Jacob Birmingham, driver of the #14 Sprite Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing Chevy, confirmed that he will not return to the team for the 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series season. Birmingham says " I want to thank Angel for giving me the opportunity to race for the CCBRR team in the 2016, but I don't feel like this is a good fit for me moving on in my career." When asked on his relatively quiet presence, Birmingham said : "I have always been the type of racer that is focused on what happens on the track and race at hand, so I try not to let the press get to me as I want to give 100 percent on my race and to my team that has worked so hard to get me here." As for his 2017 plans, "I would like to race full-time in 2017, I bring my personal sponsor, Under Armour, along with me and they have said that they want to become a primary sponsor for next year. I'm willing to work with any team who wants me on their driving roster". Before the press conference ended he was asked on what engine manufacturer he would prefer, Birmingham said "As long as they put forth a competitive motor, I do not have any preference on what it says on the engine cover".
*slips business card*

I don't know people who'd be interested in this. :P
There's no way to find out unless you look. Bristol got 66 views, and I'm pretty sure not too many from within watched it more than once.

As VRR STICS drivers look for 2017 rides, Ecurie Ecosse have released a statement saying that they will only be fielding 2 full time cars in 2017 as part of a progressive program rather than chase aggressive expansion.

Team principal Steven McTavish said "With a busy driver market and a lot of free agents, rumors have been abound about which teams will pick which drivers. Sadly, we at Ecurie Ecosse have no such plans to field any part time drivers during the Triple Crown events in 2017 and will only run the two full time entries of Gary Slater and Aaron Van der Linden. We simply do not have the budgets of teams like Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing and Cherokee Motorsports and we will instead be focusing on a more progressive expansion plan with the possibility of one part-time car in 2018."

This break before New Years allows me to catch up on the race reports. I'm still working on Surfer's Paradise.

Back