[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 2016 VRR GTPlanet Indianapolis 500 is almost live. Some minor issues that are being cleared up while it finishes processing. For some reason, that slowed down way more that usual. It's worth the wait though, so go get some lunch and relax.
Will do.

3 Hours 17 Minutes - Since when was TKU a factory team, thought that was BRRT this year and amaterasu's team next year

3 Hours 17 Minutes - Since when was TKU a factory team, thought that was BRRT this year and amaterasu's team next year
Lol really? They said that?

Thank y'all. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, or if anyone would even see it. Glad y'all like it.
That was why I didn't post anything yesterday. I was told it would be prominent from the start.

VRR Reporter: I'm here outside the medical center where Gary Slater has just been released following a hard rollover accident with Cliff Lagueux. Gary, what exactly happened?

Gary Slater: I'm a bit hazy on the details of it, but Cliff was coming up on me much faster than I thought he was. I tried to cover him off, but it was too late and he just pushed me into the wall. As soon as the car went over, all I could do was hang on and pray that it would land upright.

VRR: That nose-first impact against the wall when you landed looked hard and you were able to get it back to the pits. Were you able to get out of the car okay?

GS: Yeah, I did get out on my own, but I was hurting. I've got quite a bit of bruising on my legs, but the medical guys said that I was lucky not to get any fractures or breaks.

VRR: You had such a good run in the early stages fighting for the lead, until the competition caution came out. Do you feel it was necessary?

GS: Absolutely not. If there was a genuine reason to throw that first caution, then it shouldn't have come out. Otherwise it was a fantastic run. We got a really good start and worked our way up to fight with Matheus in those early laps.

VRR: There's no denying that everyone is talking about the huge crash that happened on lap 69. What are your thoughts?

GS: The only things I know was what Robert told me over the radio when we were under the red flag. I do hope that all of those involved are okay, especially since Sakura has been the subject of discussions between us and Cat Devil Racing. When I heard that Ryan and Henna were the worst affected, it really shook me up, especially after seeing that the catch fence was destroyed. My thoughts are with Ryan, Henna, and those fans caught up in that melee with all the flying debris going into the grandstands.

VRR: Thank you for your time, Mr Slater.

GS: Thank you.

Michael Hayes: Steph, big day today. A lot of emotions. Your tenth start here. What is going on first of all?
Stephanie Porter-Kelley: I'm not entirely sure. I know maybe a little more than you do as far as conditions, but I can't say anything because that entire situation is so fluid, the information I do have may be outdated. I know VRR is doing all they can and we have to put faith in that.
MH: Not an impressive day. A consistent day nonetheless. How did the car feel?
SPK: The cars on both ends felt okay. We were caught out by that second caution and never recovered. I got caught out by the third caution as well, and that was it. We had a big chance to take advantage of points, and we missed out on a lot.
MH: You talk about points. Jacob Birmingham, with an amazing throughout Indy performance is ahead by a single point heading to Michigan. Is your gameplan different?
SPK: No. We go and we'll go to get the best finish we can. This early in the season still, we can't afford to be shy with track position.
MH: I know I caught you in a hurry, so I'll let you go. Stephanie Porter-Kelley, finished 20th, but just one point away from the championship lead.

It was nice being top 5 while it lasted...I know I didn't skimp on the driver skill and speed, I don't think I sacrificed one stat for others like I feel the faster cars did.

Alex Rivera "We put ourselves in a huge hole early in the race but we fought all day and ended up with a Top 10 right behind our teammate. We are thinking of the people who were in that huge crash today.

It was nice being top 5 while it lasted...I know I didn't skimp on the driver skill and speed, I don't think I sacrificed one stat for others like I feel the faster cars did.

I definitely shortchanged the aggression stat and it's definitely showing. My driver does some very fast laps but seldom passes other cars which made the start of Kentucky for me so amazing to watch.

VRR Reporter: We're now with one of the drivers involved in the lap 69 incident. First off, are you ok, it looked like you had a hard time getting out of the car .

Jackson: I am ok, just a little sore in the neck and back.

VRR Reporter: Up until that point, how was the race for you?

Jackson: We had a very competitive car today, we kept up with the others and got into a small train that left the field behind which was a interesting experience. Ironically, it was looking to be the best race of the year for me.

VRR Reporter: Was that planned or did that just happen?

Jackson: It had that look like it was a good plan, but I think just we all sort've had the same instinct as soon as we reached the back straight and our spotters just sort've adapted to it. It was really good because we didn't slow each other down while we were battling.

VRR Reporter: In the pits, that was a huge gain for you. Was the call for two tires planned or just instinct?

Jackson: That was planned. We noticed the rights wore more then the left and gave the car a tight condition so we had that along with some front wing to cure that little understeer we were developing.

VRR Reporter: Of course, you're here because of what happened at the end of lap 69. Did you have any idea what happened before you got there?

Jackson: I knew someone crashed but by the time I got there where the other cars were, I saw smoke and I just plowed straight in and got hit. Not at all any time to slow down.

VRR Reporter: Do you know if anyone else is ok? You obviously got out and even went to check on Pedro Harsk

Jackson: Yeah, As soon as I got out of the car, I looked and saw his car just reduced into this ball of mashed up metal so I had to see if he was ok. I've only seen pictures so I have no idea what happened to Perlstein or our teammate Veneleinen but I hope they are both alright.

One thing I've taken away from today's race is nascarfan is abit of a sadist.

Last edited:
Henna Venalainen.png
"Today is undoubtedly the darkest day that we've ever encountered, but I am filled with sorrow to announce that Henna Venalainen, driver of the #87 Cat Devil Racing-Honda, has passed away following injuries received in the crash on lap 68 of this afternoon's Indianapolis 500. Ryan Perlstein is currently in critical condition wuth injuries of his own which will be disclosed at a later time by his family and team. Sakura Ishibashi has also been diagnosed with fractured wrist, while Camyron Jackson and Pedro Harsk were both cleared by our staff in the in field care center and released from there without injury. All straightforwardness aside, this is perhaps the hardest thing to comprehend. Henna was a valiant fighter, a smart learner, and a dedicated sportswoman who had many accolades including two Formula One World Championships. Henna stood as one of the more accomplished drivers, despite being just 22 years old. She raced as a teammate to Kunimitsu Kino****a and Sakura Ishibashi, who have amazing racing pedigree of their own, and in a very short time impressed with natural talent, hard nosed determination, and the need to always get better. More importantly, she helped set the trend, the trend of having the women of the series racing the men competitively and being able to come out ahead. She helped to push the boundaries of “how is racing defined?”, which is easy now with the answer being a sport welcoming all walks of life to compete in the same forum for the same prize. Henna stood as the series' first flying Finn, and I would be remissed if I didn't offer my severe condolences to her team, her family, and her nation for the loss of an amazing woman, and a phenomenal talent.

Effective immediately, VRR will be launching an investigation into this accident, with full cooperation from the teams involved, the tire manufacturer Firestone, eyewitness reports, and a full autopsy. We will make sure that we search every single fiber of debris to understand what led to this uncomprehendable and unacceptable accident. To represent the drivers in this investigation, VRR has called on Stephanie Porter-Kelley as the most senior driver in the field and the team owner of Henna's car, Kunimitsu Kino****a.

We must be diligent at this rough and strenuous time. Henna gave her life doing what she loved, and it remains our obligation to continue as we are and evolve from what she has taught us in life and in her passing. We will continue with the season as it stands. I will not be accepting questions at this time."

Perl-Speed GP would like to extend condolences and prayers to the friends and family of Henna Venalainen. Henna was a great driver and a great personality in the series, her loss hits us all very hard. To lose somebody like her is a tragedy for us all in the motorsports community. As stated by VRR officials, our driver Ryan Perlstein is currently in hospital at Indianapolis, Indiana and is in critical condition. Further details will come as we get them, and currently only family and a few close individuals from the team are being allowed to see him as his family has decided. Thank you to those who have expressed their concern and support on social media and in the paddock, we are all hoping for the best. For now all we can do is wait.

Last edited:
"First off let me express my deepest condolences to the family of Henna Venalainen. She was a superb driver and I can't imagine the pain her family is feeling. I personally would like to donate $10,000 for funeral costs and I urge my fellow racers to help in anyway possible. I would also like to call upon VRR to possibly rename a race for this season or next season as a tribute for Henna. What that rename could be, I have no clue. I just hope it can be done.

As for Perlstein, I really hope he makes it through. Losing one driver is difficult, losing two would be devastating. Again, I will personally donate $10,000 for any hospital bills, and once again urge fellow drivers, regardless of team, to do the same.

These are difficult times people. But we are VRR Indycar drivers, and we will look out for one another. Thank you for your time."

VRR Reporter: We've caught up with Cliff Lagueux who is just leaving the infield care centre now, first of all, are you okay?

CL: Yes I am okay, I actually wanted to stay in there longer because of the secondary hit I took from Ahmed. I've seen other drivers over the years take hits like I did and end up with bigger injuries than I have, I was quite lucky really but I just wanted to be around medical professionals in case something manifested itself after the fact.

VRR Reporter: What was your day like leading up to the crash?

CL: Crap really, we weren't anywhere near competitive like we had hoped we would be. In fact the only time we were in the top 10 was right before the crash because we were trying to drag out pitting in hopes of a yellow so we could be on the lead lap. It really wasn't a fun day and I was hoping it would just end, well I guess I got what I wished for. I have no hard feelings with Gary because I had room to give him and I should have, he was recently out of the pits so he was going to need most of the track while the tires were heating up and I took about 1/3rd away from him. I saw him, Ahmed, and Herrera when they were on their way out to see how they were because that huge crash earlier just had me worried.

VRR Reporter: I know you view every driver as a friend so how are you taking tonight's news?

CL: It's.... It's terrible frankly. Never does anyone expect to die doing this, you know it's possible but when it happens it just takes all the fun out of everything, it all just turns into sadness. I respected Henna a lot, she was always great to hang around in pre-race and to lose such a good person hurts, but her family will miss her more than any of us will. It's just so hard to fathom, and Ryan, if he checks out too it'll put an even larger shadow over the rest of the year. I send only my best wishes for Ryan's recovery, hopefully a quick one at that, and my deepest condolences to the Venalainen family. I just can't believe it, I really don't know what to say anymore, it just sucks and hurts really bad.
I know it's something the series has to deal with but man, writing that up kept bringing me back to Las Vegas 2011 and that was not a fun little memory trip.

Its just really, really hard to take in what has happened. As much as we are aware that this is always a possibility, we never expect it to happen. To be a racing driver is to, in some degree, be stubborn to the idea of it happening otherwise there is no point to strap in.

Henna was a great person to be around. I remember when I was competing with her in another series and in just the short time I spent with her in the paddock, I was immediately sort've touched if you will by her presence as she once came over after a horrible race I had and cheered me up. She and her team were celebrating a top 5 they got and she decides to come and bring my spirits up, that was when I got a glimpse of how incredible a person she was. After one race where she came so close to winning and lost it on the final lap, I went over to sort've comfort her as I could just see the frustration mounting so when she finally got a win later in the year, I was happy for her and immediately came over and congratulated her. When she came to our team her in the series, we welcomed her with open arms. She was many times the one that lifted our spirits when our weekends were just awful this year, especially after I had a major meltdown at Motegi. It'll be really difficult to rally around now that essentially our voice of calm is gone. I intend on contributing to helping her family with the funeral and I want to make sure a rare person like that is never forgotten.

Last edited:
I'm deeply saddened by the death of Henna Venalainen. She was one of my biggest heros and I was absolutely thrilled to make it onto the VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series and be in the field alongside her. She made a huge impact on my driving and how I carried myself around the paddock. I was unfortunately never able to spend a huge amount of time talking to her, however there were plans in place to have all of the women on the grid get together and relax at the end of the season. This is a huge loss not only for the IndyCar world but for the sporting world at large. She was a fierce competitor and drove everyone to be the best that they could be. I, and the entire #67 garage wish to join the grid in dedicating the rest of this season to a wonderful woman and a top notch racer as well as joining the petition to have a race renamed in her memory and asking for the creation of a new championship to promote the racing world, and IndyCar further so that woman will dream of competing: the Henna Venalainen Trophy awarded annually to the top woman or female identified driver on the grid. Additionally, we will be donating 20% of all funds raised on the HelpKiwisFly webpage to the family of Henna and to VRR with the sole purpose of providing even safer cars for our outstanding drivers. Additionally, we will help, to the maximum extent possible in the case regarding this horrible accident.

It is not in times of joy that the world comes together as a family but in times of sorrow. Rest in power, Henna. A remarkable woman and an astounding talent. May her spirit shine bright forever.

A crowdfunding site to help raise funds for the #67 team as well as raising money and awareness for other important causes. Fans and companirs can donate anonymously or have their names involved

I consider the field as a family. We have just lost our most famous sister

It is not in times of joy that the world comes together as a family but in times of great sorrow

*In front of the SMS camper*

BKG: uunhh.....Give me a minute.....You know, I don't drink, but when 🤬 like this happens it makes the bottle a more appealing option, as long as you stay put doin' it.

Reporter 1: Sir, can we get something we can use?

BKG: Someth...*now looking ready to rip into someone*...So that's not good enough? I can't say anything to try and distract from the situation at hand? I have to give you audio YOU want to hear, even though YOU have no stake in what has gone on, just so you can get some meaningless attention! WHY SHOULD I! GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! NOW! *grabbing nearest object*

Reporter 1: *fleeing* Psychopath! The hell's wrong with you?!

BKG: DON'T 🤬 WITH ME, OR WHAT WE DO! *turning to other reporters* Anyone ELSE want to force the issue?

Remaining Reporters: N-no, we're cool. *looking at each other*

BKG: Well had Jimmy Jack-*** decided to hold his tongue, I'd have gone on with what I'll tell y'all: Today down right sucks.

Reporter 2: Could...could you elaborate, please.

BKG: Mhh...you asked politely so I guess so. The highs for the team are, in order; our design for the race logo was a hit, I started the race strong, and Michael White finished the day. Note I said 'team' though, that affected us alone. Everything with a widespread impact, shy of the points rewarded, makes this the darkest day in VRR history...to my knowledge at least. How do you wanna hear it? The Venalainen clan lost a daughter, Finland lost a grand driver, some lost a friend, and all of us lost an influence, a chief competitor, and a genuine person. As if the Grim Reaper hasn't been busy enough since December worldwide, today was that stiff kick in the *** that he's a racing fan, and we present ourselves to his whims every time we get in a vehicle. From what I hear, Sakura caught a bit of it; Cliff, Cam, Harsk, and Ahmed got off light, but Ryan...uhh, Pearly, wasn't far from meeting Henna again, and I've only heard they got him stabilized...just.

Reporter 2: VRR announced an investigation into the reasons for Henna Venalainen's death and Ryan Perlstein's severe injuries, do you have a response?

BKG: Sadly I can't help much when it comes to what I saw due to simply not being around it, but the Porters and VRR know I'll do whatever I can to help. CDR knows I'll help them if they need it, and once I'm done here I'm gonna go tell the Perl Speed guys the same thing. Anymore questions?

Reporters: That's all.

BKG: Then if you'll excuse me, I need to have some discussions.

Dude, it's a video game :lol:

OOC: I know, but I think it's a bit much to make light of what happened so soon, especially when there are members that want to keep things relatively in-character at the moment. That or maybe I just played too much Ogre Battle as a kid...?

OOC: I know, but I think it's a bit much to make light of what happened so soon, especially when there are members that want to keep things relatively in-character at the moment. That or maybe I just played too much Ogre Battle as a kid...?
OOC: I know, I've been playing my character as an asshole, and now I'm adding in a breaking the fourth wall habit to his actions :lol:, I've always been a fan of self-referential media, and I feel that I can do this with my character

OOC: I know, I've been playing my character as an asshole, and now I'm adding in a breaking the fourth wall habit to his actions :lol:, I've always been a fan of self-referential media, and I feel that I can do this with my character

OOC: You'll get far then, because you had me going for a second there.

Back