[VRR][B-SPEC] 2016 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 3,331 comments

How should the driver names be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sakura Tweet 002.PNG

Now, if I do the same process tomorrow, it'll be based on reverse results of FP2, minus those that were bumped today. I'll make a formal list tonight and the day will begin again at 10 a.m. Eastern.

Now, if I do the same process tomorrow, it'll be based on reverse results of FP2, minus those that were bumped today. I'll make a formal list tonight and the day will begin again at 10 a.m. Eastern.

What about a 5 minute interval though so you get done faster and we get to see results sooner?

Eva Porterline (Reporter for VRR): Mr. Costa? Could we have some thoughts on your Bump Day at Indianapolis?

Nico Costa-Monteiro: No problem, go right ahead.

EP: How does it feel to survive one of the most nerve-wracking days of the Straight Talk Indycar season?

NCM: Well, it is relieving to have survived to fight another day, I can tell you that much. I did not know how much longer my patience could endure until all drivers had finished their sessions...

EP: But the final results seemed to have paid off; not only did you managed to finish in the top 10, but you have also succeded in being the best-ranked member of Team Kate Upton. How does it feel?

NCM: It feels good, really. Qualifying sessions like these are even more intense than normal Indycar qualifying sessions. Not only do you have to drive at speeds over 230 miles per hour for about 95% of your lap, you also have to pay attention to those moments when slowing down is necessary. If you slow down too much, you lose a mile. If you lose a mile, others are bound to gain it. This isn't just a test of speed, it's a test of consistency and accuracy.

EP: And many seemed to have mastered those tests; Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing Team driver Andrew Draco topped the standings after clocking a top speed of over 231 miles per hour, a speed matched by second place-ranked driver Pedro Harsk. Your thoughts?

NCM: Those guys clearly have a few screws loose, but they choose the right screws to drop before driving their lap. For a guy having his first Indy race, Draco smashed his teammates' speeds, even his boss'. And it takes some steel nuts to edge out Evangeline Porter, I can tell you that firsthand.
But Harsk surprises me even more... Single-car operations usually tend to be Indianapolis's finest dark horse stories, but many just flop after Bump Day. However, Harsk just ousted some of the top teams in this championship, including mine, to achieve a second-place finish. When the guy steps up to the plate, he can show some incredible performances... But Race Day is the big dog, it's the one that counts. And we haven't gotten there yet.

EP: Well, that will be all for now. Thank you for the time given, Mr. Costa.

NCM: No problem, always a pleasure.

After failing to qualify for the 2016 Indy 500, Aaron van der Linden spoke to this reporter: "It's devastating" he said, "We've worked so hard to keep the team afloat in hopes for a big score at Indy, but now we're not going to get a chance at the glory.
He then dropped a bombshell: "It's even tougher to swallow because without the opportunity to show myself at Indy, my potential sponsors for 2017 have all backed out. This means I'm going to have to pull out of the 2017 VRR Indycar Series. I'll look to finish out the year strong, but right now it's hard to find any positives in my situation.

OOC: Pulling out of the 2017 season. It's not because I didn't qualify for Indy, I'm not that salty :P

After failing to qualify for the 2016 Indy 500, Aaron van der Linden spoke to this reporter: "It's devastating" he said, "We've worked so hard to keep the team afloat in hopes for a big score at Indy, but now we're not going to get a chance at the glory.
He then dropped a bombshell: "It's even tougher to swallow because without the opportunity to show myself at Indy, my potential sponsors for 2017 have all backed out. This means I'm going to have to pull out of the 2017 VRR Indycar Series. I'll look to finish out the year strong, but right now it's hard to find any positives in my situation.

OOC: Pulling out of the 2017 season. It's not because I didn't qualify for Indy, I'm not that salty :P
Why are you pulling out then?

Why are you pulling out then?
First off, don't take this the wrong way. What you're doing here is clearly working well, it just isn't for me. It's not what I'm looking for in a B-spec series. There's no sense of accomplishment, as all I've done is fill in a form 6 months ago and that determines my whole season. I prefer the way Earth does it in his series, where you submit setups and there's a satisfaction to finding those extra tenths. Then at least if I fail to qualify, I'm okay with it because it's down to me and not RNGesus. Add to that my increasingly busy schedule and you get my reasons for withdrawing. And since I'm not super stoked about the series, I may as well give my spot to someone who will be.

Final results for 2016 Bump Day

-snipped-
34th: #67: Jamie Ngaire-Jardine (222.784 mph)
35th: #27: Aaron van der Linden (219.545 mph)
36th: #2: Thomas Rogers (217.739 mph)

Those in bold have been bumped from the 2016 VRR GTPlanet Indianapolis 500 field.

Uhhhmmm....woooow. That....that's not what I thought would happen. Three race winners...all three in the top half of the field. Damn.

Seriously, I'm stunned. I don't recall JNJ being out of the top half of the field at many/any point, Rogers has proven to be bad-fast and I have to assume the 'bad' part came out, and AVDL is just a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment, taken with lots of whiskey.

The thing about this qualifying is that it's not your qualifying or track skill that matters, it's how much you invested points wise into race craft and how well your car is developed by your team leader

The thing about this qualifying is that it's not your qualifying or track skill that matters, it's how much you invested points wise into race craft and how well your car is developed by your team leader
Cars are set the same. It's all on Driver AI.

First off, don't take this the wrong way. What you're doing here is clearly working well, it just isn't for me. It's not what I'm looking for in a B-spec series. There's no sense of accomplishment, as all I've done is fill in a form 6 months ago and that determines my whole season. I prefer the way Earth does it in his series, where you submit setups and there's a satisfaction to finding those extra tenths. Then at least if I fail to qualify, I'm okay with it because it's down to me and not RNGesus. Add to that my increasingly busy schedule and you get my reasons for withdrawing. And since I'm not super stoked about the series, I may as well give my spot to someone who will be.
Thank you for explaining and being so courteous. I'm happy to have had you in the field for our inaugural season and I wish you the best everywhere else you race. I trust that Ecurie Ecosse will do its part in finding the person to fill the new gap. Cheers to the rest of the season.

Hmm... I thought team owners had to fill out a form for their cars at the beginning
That's for FICA F1, not here. The only thing extra is for the team principals of the factory teams to determine engine points, but there's deliberately a lot of overlap to prevent domination.

That's for FICA F1, not here. The only thing extra is for the team principals of the factory teams to determine engine points, but there's deliberately a lot of overlap to prevent domination.
Good point, not sure if you've looked around with it but the Papy_AI.ini is a good place to fiddle with to determine how much and what exactly ratings do

"5 hours after I ran my 10 miles and I still feel like I'm dreaming right now... Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to be sitting with y'all (The press corps) talking about how I'm on provisional Pole for the Indy 500. Nothing but thanks to Angie and Coca-Cola Black Rose Racing Team for putting this deal together and giving a guy like me a shot at it.

"Because it's Bump Day and nobody working on the #77 wanted to watch me do a Jigger Sirois impression, we felt that with the way the wind was blowing, how hot it was even at 10 AM and how the weather was only going to heat up, the early draw meant I had to lay one out and the crew pretty much trimmed as much downforce off of the car as they felt was comfortable.

"From there... Well, I can't say it was boring because I had goosebumps that whole run. I can't even describe how I kept that car going because it felt like I was hanging on with the skin of my knuckles during those four laps. Halfway through the second lap everything that wasn't me, or the car or the track felt like it was just... Closed off from reality.

[AWKWARD PAUSE]

"Well, I hope that we can match it tomorrow if we need to and for the race itself. Excuse me."

BREAKING NEWS: Pole Qualifying will begin today at 12:00 p.m. Eastern. Drivers will be sent on track in 5 minute intervals to make a four lap attempt.

Snippets from the media interviews post qualifying...
"I was really concerned going in that Honda would have a bad day, and outside of Cat Devil Racing land, we were horrible, and I can't blame Jamie or Aaron on not making the field. The weather was changing the track constantly and the other two engines stepped up their game. We're walking into pole day a lot more relieved but a bit busier because we'll be starting no where near the front..."

"I have been monitoring the Bauer team situation. We may begin to bring their efforts in house early because it is becoming increasingly clear that financial mismanagement is going to kill the team before we get halfway through the season. I'm not going to place blame yet, but needless to say their business advisors will not be coming to Polaris..."

"I said it before, if we can make it in, we can use race pace to win this thing. But that is the whole issue. Getting in. That is done now. We have to focus on getting as far up the grid we can, because Sunday will be a horrid mess."

Official Pole Day Qualifying Order, Thursday, May 12th, 2016.
12:00 p.m. Mohammad Ahmed
12:05 p.m. Sebastian Devereux
12:10 p.m. Alex Rivera
12:15 p.m. Diomedes Nikolaidou
12:20 p.m. Clayton Hardy
12:25 p.m. Camyron Jackson
12:30 p.m. Jacob Birmingham
12:35 p.m. Lucas Larese

Order for Friday, May 13th, 2016.
12:00 p.m. Steven Gnash
12:10 p.m. Matthew Evans
12:20 p.m. Jesus Cristobal
12:30 p.m. Evangeline Porter
12:40 p.m. Diego Jaramillo
12:50 p.m. Pedro Harsk
1:00 p.m. Treven Robie
1:10 p.m. Behrris Windross
1:20 p.m. Nico Costa-Monteiro
1:30 p.m. Hugo Del Prete
1:40 p.m. Sakura Ishibashi
1:50 p.m. Kunimitsu Kino****a
2:00 p.m. Henna Venalainen
2:10 p.m. B.K. Glover
2:20 p.m. Alan Herrera
2:30 p.m. Michael White
2:40 p.m. Jacob Descoteau
2:50 p.m. Stephanie Porter-Kelley

3:00 p.m. Matheus Michelin
3:10 p.m. Gary Slater
3:20 p.m. Cliff Lagueux
3:30 p.m. Stefan Montana
3:40 p.m. Jett Raven
3:50 p.m. Andrew Draco
4:00 p.m. Ryan Perlstein

Note: This is not the reserved post for Pole Day.

Last edited:
Pole Qualifying, Thursday, May 12th, 2016. Halted for rain.

On the track (12:40 p.m. EDT): #99: Steven Gnash (Cat Devil Racing-Honda)

Qualifying Standings in miles per hour:
#14: Jacob Birmingham (231.702 mph)
#19: Camyron Jackson (230.598 mph)
#80: Sebastian Devereux (227.889 mph)
#11: Alex Rivera (227.883 mph)
#48: Lucas Larese (227.670 mph)
#96: Clayton Hardy (223.386 mph)
#6: Diomedes Nikolaidou (223.148 mph)
#5: Mohammad Ahmed (221.861 mph)

Starting Grid: (Inside, Outside)
Row 1:
Row 2:
Row 3:
Row 4:
Row 5:
Row 6:
Row 7:
Row 8:
Row 9:
Row 10:
Row 11:
Row 12:
Row 13:
Row 14:
Row 15:
Row 16:
Row 17:

Last edited:
Statement from Team Principal Steven McTavish:

"We are disappointed that Aaron van der Linden has chosen to withdraw from the 2017 VRR Straight Talk Indycar Series. We respect his decision and have terminated his planned contract with Ecurie Ecosse for 2017. We will begin talking with interested parties about filling the now vacant second seat as soon as possible and hope to resolve the issue swiftly."

A serious issue happened and required my attention for most of the day. Rest of qualifying will happen beginning noon tomorrow.

IC: Maldita esos huracanes Indiana retrasar la bebida mi preparación para la carrera
OOC: That's why I never do things live, always have things done before I make them public :lol:

Back