[VRR][B-SPEC] 2018 Vodafone IndyCar Series season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 237 comments
"I personally think that the 2018 Ferrari kit is a bit **** compared to last year. Last year, we were competitive just about everywhere, but this year, we may only be competitive on the ovals, which is not good at all given how many of the Ferrari drivers' expertise is on the road and street courses. Obviously there will be a massive battle between us (Black Rose Racing) and CDR (Cat Devil Racing), and I think that also hurts because the teams won't always be looking to win races, but to just beat the other team...I want to win races, obviously. Last year was so disappointing to me. I won at Watkins Glen, but to have eight poles and just one win hurt, and it still stings. I want to go into Miami and Australia feeling better about this season, but right now I don't feel that confidence."

When asked about the performance of the Ford works machines relative to the rest of the field, Ragus seemed surprisingly unfazed about the two open test sessions held at Austin. "Our team in particular is built around long runs and race pace. We're never going to catch anybody in qualifying, but as long as we can score points and keep out of the Pre-Qualifying melee at the back, I'm not sure I see our supposed lack of pace as an issue." The newly signed Ford factory driver finished 12th in the overall standings last year under the old V6 turbo rules, but the new regulations surrounding the NA V8 package may mean that is not an accurate reflection of his future performances.

Despite an underwhelming showcase at the pre-season test in Austin, Cat Devil Racing owner/driver Kunimitsu Kino****a likes what 2018 is looking like. "People questioned why we decided to move to Ferrari power for this year, and I think Austin showed that answer. I spent most of my running just going over race distances. The rest of the team split their efforts on qualifying pace and race pace. Both are looking good, so I definitely think this was the right move to make for this year." When asked about the team's decisions on whether it would stay in IndyCar or move to Champ Car in 2019, Kino****a was very reserved. "We have an ability to win over Ferrari's factory efforts. I think that's where my focus is at the moment. Still a long time before I have to make that decision."

In what's being seen as a make-or-break season for Ecurie Ecosse, driver Gary Slater expressed worry ahead of the new STICS season. "The results of the test were disappointing despite our switch to Ford power. Even though we got good mileage from both days, I fear our outright competitiveness might go down the drain," the Scot stated. "It's going to be a crucial season for us and the results may determine whether we can commit to a future Indycar program. I want us to stay, but I still have doubts."

Last edited:
After locking out the top 2 spots on the final day of the Austin test, Eiffel Tower Racing driver Aaron Van der Linden praised his team for coming out of the gate quick.
"I'm not going to get carried away looking at the times, but even in testing it's always nice to be near the front. We tried a few things on day 1 that didn't work as well as we'd like, so for day 2 we used Jamie's setup as a starting point and it just clicked right away. To have all 3 cars spend time in the top 10 is a huge confidence boost going into the season, especially since we'll be needing to pre-qualify.

When asked whether Ngaire-Jardine's arrival had sparked the team, Van der Linden grinned.
"Any time you can add a title contender it gives a morale boost. It's motivation for the team to give her a car capable of fighting for the title, and it's motivation for Astrid and I to keep up! We'll all be pushing each other on and off the track, and hopefully that pays off.

Van der Linden also praised Alpine's new engine.
"To be this fast out of the gate is remarkable. The engine is spectacularly fun, you never feel like you're running out of power. We'll have to see how it goes on the ovals, but for road and street tracks it's an awesome package.

Honda-powered teams were not all of the rage in Austin for the open test. Despite using the refined 2017 V6 engines, Honda was bested thoroughly by Alpine and Ferrari. Despite this, there is a lot of calm in two of Honda's most prestigious teams. Escuderia Aguila, the Argentine outfit, has spent the past week examining engine wear, and have come back quite impressed. "The testing plan all of the Honda teams were advised to follow were to use strictly a single engine for both days. So, we obviously put in a lot of distance on the engines, about 600 miles per engine in those two days alone. And you wouldn't be able to tell if we put more than about 50 miles on those engines...the Honda engines are so put together, it's no miracle how they went through all of 2017 without a single engine failure. And pace wasn't incredibly off given how close everyone was. Honda's not a company you can forget about this year." Aguila engineer Santiago Vargas stated to Argentine media magnet Clarin.

Likewise, the Swiss based Highlight Racing found similar results from their drivers Rachel Koivuniemi and Simona Leroux. "Engine wear was excellent. VRR's done a good job of giving the engines power to work with, but limiting the rpms enough to keep the engines from having a quick life cycle." Leroux commented. "And out of the two days, I found the green testing tire Pirelli supplied to us to work pretty well later in their life cycles. So a lot of positives to take in."
The Red Bull Champ Car World Series has been marketing Honda as a prime selling point for a few months now. However, during the week, more of their portfolio has come forward. The series will be using Bridgestone tires, and on top of Honda, the series will be able to rely on Mercedes as an engine supplier as well. This seems to indicate that the plans for Mercedes to join IndyCar have fallen through. Champ Car are currently in discussions with a different automaker regarding production of a chassis different than the current Dallara HV line of cars being produced for IndyCar. Champ Car currently has three teams dedicated to it for its inaugural season; Cherokee GP, Highlight Racing, and Crystal Cove Racing.

Ecurie Ecosse has confirmed to media that talks with Mercedes have broken down and the team will not be supplied with engines in 2019. Team principal Steven McTavish said, "At this time, we are disappointed to confirm that talks with Mercedes-AMG have fallen through for 2019. Both sides failed to reach agreement on the terms of the deal to the results expectations that Merc are after. We will seek further negotiations with Ford on an extension to the current supply deal depending on our 2018 results."

For those waiting on the Showdown and the beginning of the season, there was a slight delay on my end due to schedule constraints and having to edit together a sequence that took some time to put together in the Showdown. They will be on the way soon. In the meantime, I need everyone in the series to fill out the form in this link for your drivers. Those wishing to register multiple drivers are encouraged because I am trying to put together a Le Mans 24 Hour race, which is obviously going to need a lot of drivers. Those in the Discord server have already seen the amount of work being done, so the more the merrier.

Hey Eva, I filled out that form today, just wondering I chose a level (Diamond, Gold, Silver, Bronze) for my driver and my question is are those values static or dynamic? Can they improve over time within the B-Spec world? Say my driver wins 3 Indycar races and finish 3rd in the points with a class win at Le Mans would his driver level increase from a Silver to a Gold or Diamond? Would the reverse also be possible as well?

Hey Eva, I filled out that form today, just wondering I chose a level (Diamond, Gold, Silver, Bronze) for my driver and my question is are those values static or dynamic? Can they improve over time within the B-Spec world? Say my driver wins 3 Indycar races and finish 3rd in the points with a class win at Le Mans would his driver level increase from a Silver to a Gold or Diamond? Would the reverse also be possible as well?
Driver ratings will be dynamic based purely on each driver's on track performances or lack thereof. Drivers that are successful will see their rating go up. Drivers that fail to qualify or finish routinely will see their rating go down.

Eva
For those waiting on the Showdown and the beginning of the season, there was a slight delay on my end due to schedule constraints and having to edit together a sequence that took some time to put together in the Showdown. They will be on the way soon. In the meantime, I need everyone in the series to fill out the form in this link for your drivers. Those wishing to register multiple drivers are encouraged because I am trying to put together a Le Mans 24 Hour race, which is obviously going to need a lot of drivers. Those in the Discord server have already seen the amount of work being done, so the more the merrier.

Signed up all four of Phantom Motors "House" drivers (Andrew Draco, David Wessel, Katherine Hart and Jean-Claude Gabriel). Also having quite a bit of trouble with some nasty kind of sickness, so pardon me for the lack of posts in this thread.

Series update: Currently playing a game of catch up with uploading due to the vast array of other VRR commitments. First couple of events have been edited, but uploading them takes about 20 hours each, which is currently very hard to manage. For those on VRR's Discord, I've posted a run down of how everything looks after the first 6 events, so I am still working. Just a bit of patience until I get a window to begin uploading these massive videos for the commentators to do their work.

Stefan Montana is looking forward to rebound after coming up short of winning the Indy 500 and several DNQs last season. Despite not being impressed with delays and not seeing his new livery in any shape or form, he's focused on what lies ahead.

"The Domino's car, whatever that looks like, is alright," Montana said. "I'm more or less focused on turning my career around and see what I can do this season. Anything but a top 10 in the final standings will be a disappointment and I know my new team paid good money to take me. Above anything else, joining a pre-sponsored car isn't what I'd hope because I prefer to bring my stuff, but whatever at this rate. I'll try to deliver pizzas and gain new fans for it, if that's what it'll take to get popular again. Will see what happens, but this is a make it or break it season and if I don't deliver, you'll never hear the end of it and I'll just pack my bags home."

Montana was the subject of controversy last season including sponsorship woes, exploited by the media and relationship issues.

Last edited:

R01PQ.PNG
R01 FP101.PNG
R01 FP102.PNG
R01 FP201.PNG
R01 FP202.PNG
R01 Q01.PNG
R01 Q02.PNG
R01 Start Grid.PNG
R01 R01.PNG
R01 R02.PNG

What races does my driver compete in?
Your driver begins competing for round 3. Had the Monster Shootout been uploaded, you'd know why your driver missed the first two races.

"Just as with the start of testing, the Ferrari package this year seems very unpredictable and, well twitchy. But the first few races have fallen in my favor a bit. The podium at St. Pete is a pleasant surprise, for sure, but it's going to be a long grind if this Ferrari package is all we are getting."
Escuderia Aguila has made themselves well known to the IndyCar field and fans in short notice, with Cristine Espinoza winning on return in Melbourne, and was very happy with how her season had started; "Obviously, getting a win on my first race back, almost 6 years away, it feels great, it feels like the testing we had done during the winter to prepare has definitely prepared me enough to be a threat to the drivers that have been more or less, I guess groomed is the word for this generation of car. The car has way more downforce than it had before, the amount of downforce I only dreamed of having back in 2011 and 2012. So, yeah, I'm definitely coming to terms quickly, and what seemed impossible in January is now a goal, and that's another IndyCar world title." Older brother, Miguel, however, has had the very opposite levels of success. Having only moved on from pre-qualifying once, for St. Pete, the 46 year old is coming to terms of possibly been passed his peak. "It's daunting, definitely. Open wheel racing is constantly evolving, but I don't think I was prepared for how much it has evolved in the United States. It's still not quite as sophisticated as F1, but I think I am realizing that IndyCar has come to a point where you need to have been in it from the start of this phase to really understand and keep up with it, from a physical standpoint at least. I'm going to stick it out and see how the season goes from here, obviously with the split, things will change a lot. And we'll see. Maybe I'll get more used to the car and how crazy this place is on track, and maybe I can pull something together for the team."
When Renault opened the door for its subsidary, Alpine, to enter IndyCar as an OEM for 2018, many saw it as a half-hearted attempt to raise awareness for the Alpine brand ahead of the global launch of the revived A110 sports car. However, with Alpine's founded success, despite spending less to develop the program than Ferrari and Chevrolet, has brought Renault's attention on IndyCar to a higher priority, with Renault proper staff working alongside Alpine staff beginning at St. Pete to understand the program and analyse the successes being reaped in by the program. "Renault are stunned by what Alpine has been able to do in IndyCar, and they've begun to seriously look at the series because of this. Alpine has found an engineering gem in the series with the engine and aero package currently on offer. Alongside of having a massive team like Impulse, the information being gathered every weekend is extraordinary. Renault see this as a token of success in a period that hasn't been too kind for them in Formula One, so they've definitely been spending time looking at it." A source close to Renault and Alpine noted.

It was all smiles for ETR today, with their first points win of 2018, and 2 out of 3 cars in the top 5. It was the women leading the way for Van Der Linden with Ngarie Jardine in 4th and Astrid Krane picking up her first career win. "We drove an incredible race today, the car was a rocketship. Big thanks to everyone who believed in me, its wonderful to pay Seb back for taking the chance on me. This team is evolving more every single day, and as far as the 80 car, we have no plans of slowing down. This is a statement win for us and ETR."

"It's been a crazy start to the year. For a long time, it looked like this team wasn't going to make the start of the season, but everything's been onward and upward since The Monster Shoutout. Maybe it's just because I'm on a new team and things are still coming together in a couple of areas, but even compared to when I came into this sport three years ago the series is so competitive now, that there's this feeling of having to throw caution to the wind and go for it just to qualify for races, let alone challenge for wins. With that said, I think we've taken a lot of gambles on race strategy already this year; I had a great car at Calder Park, but we got caught a lap down at the end because of pitting off-strategy at the wrong time... On the other hand, I feel like we could've won at Motegi and St. Pete if we just had some luck and better pits-stops.

"I'm not going to knock the team beyond that. It's something that Jean (Claude-Gabriel, Phantom Motorsports CEO) has brought up as a big issue in team meetings and debriefs, and I know we'll get better at it as the season goes on.

"I have to say, the Honda package is a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I know it's no great shakes compared to the rest of the field, but outside of qualifying I feel like I can win anywhere with it right now. Compared to car I raced last year, it feels a lot faster on the big ovals, which I like to think are my specialty and it doesn't feel any worse on street courses. The big unknown is just how much the rest of the field is going to jump ahead of us and when that's going to take place, because I know I'm not going to be feeling too happy going into, say, Indianapolis just hoping to make the field...

"One thing that's puzzling me is that I have no clue what's going on with Stefan (Montana). We haven't really talked that much since the start of the year, but it looks like he's really struggling to get anything out of the car. To fail to qualify for the first three races... I can't imagine the kind of pressure that he's under."

Originally posted on Racing.com

With a new season comes hope in what lies ahead; New cars, New teams, New drivers. For Phantom Motorsports, it's been a case of Feast or Famine: Defending Series champion Andrew Draco has managed to push the limits of his year-old Honda and has posted back-to-back Top-6 finishes out of the first three races, while being particularly unlucky not to win the recent Honda Indy Grand Prix of Florida.

On the flipside of that coin, Draco's teammate Stefan Montana has failed to qualify for all three races run so far this season and usually has been at the bottom of the pre-qualifying time-sheets.

It's a puzzling trend that has Phantom Motorsports CEO Jean-Claude Gabriel worried for the future. "I'm honestly quite shocked at how the season has gone so far. Stefan was just as fast as Andrew during the pre-season tests, he seemed confident in himself going into the new year... And then we get to Calder Park and he's nowhere. I'll give him grace, I know he has been through a lot and has a lot of things going on in his personal life, but I don't play favorites at Phantom Motorsports. Both of my drivers get the same quality of equipment and support as the other and if Stefan can't find the speed soon, then..."

Gabriel was also introspective about the shortcomings he sees with Phantom Motorsports three races into 2018. "One the biggest issues our team has had is in pit-stops and strategy. With how everything came together so late in the game, the team really haven't had as much time to practice the physical art of pit-stops as much as I would like to see. As for the race strategy being a bit "High Risk, High Reward", well, I freely admit that I want this team to maximize the potential for scoring points in the early races before the other manufacturers start to gain ground on us.

While stern, Jean-Claude Gabriel was quick to point out that "I'm a perfectionist, and I'm not really happy until I can look at our team, everyone working in our shop in California and say "We can become the team to beat, the standard for how it's done". And as egotistical as that sounds, I have no doubt we can become that team."

Stefan Montana could not be reached for comment.

Done. Career over in all aspects. Team to be dismantled, everything sold/burned/destroyed, shop to be demolished, all things related to myself and my teams are requested to be ended and scrubbed from history.

Latest Posts

Back