VW 1200 Bug too heavy?

• Thread starter m176
  • 65 comments
Is this the right weight 1160kg? I think thats around 2550lb. I've driven this car in real life there is no way it felt that heavy. Am I wrong or going crazy.

It is about 800 pounds heavier than it was in real life. For reference, the one in the game is even heavier than the Samba Bus.

PD put the fully loaded weight (fluids, people and luggage!) that is 1160kg instead of the normal weight with fluids, that should be around 780kg...

If I remember correctly, with stage 3 weight modification we can get it down to around 950kg. But, I agree with the OP it is way too heavy in stock form. I will add it handles like a dream at 230hp/950kg.

Diegorborges- "PD put the fully loaded weight (fluids, people and luggage!) that is 1160kg instead of the normal weight with fluids, that should be around 780kg..."

If that is the case than shouldnt the '62 Samba bus be in the region of 1600kg instead of the 1095 it weighs stock? I personally like the new bug and handles great and is fairly quick. It feels like a beetle of the correct weight, about 780kg. Maybe its a typo

Diegorborges- "PD put the fully loaded weight (fluids, people and luggage!) that is 1160kg instead of the normal weight with fluids, that should be around 780kg..."

If that is the case than shouldnt the '62 Samba bus be in the region of 1600kg instead of the 1095 it weighs stock? I personally like the new bug and handles great and is fairly quick. It feels like a beetle of the correct weight, about 780kg. Maybe its a typo

Yep, its a typo. I've posted the beetle manual page in some other thread. PD got it wrong for the beetle, but its not their default...

@Gejabo: I think that's the 1600 version. It was build 1972/73 and had 50 HP.

The 1300 version had 40 HP and was build 1965-70.

The 1200 version from 1966 hat 34 HP.
The weight was somewhere between 730–820 kg (wiki)

It think such a mistake shouldn't happen to the "real driving simulator". Hope that it will be fixed quickly!

I find it funny too that you can remove the bumpers but that doesn't affect the weight of the car at all! In real life those bumpers weigh at least 20 kilos each without the bumper brackets!

I'm so glad they included this car in the DLC but the extra weight really sucks. If they had to use fully loaden weight then they should've done the same for every other car so it's all fair and the same.

I'm also glad they included the bumper removal option and the weird and wonderful spoilers, but I wish they also had offered a Baja Bug option and a Herbie RM option too.

More like phat! I was totally has with the way it tuned out too over 200hp! I think it was a great addition to gt5 whether fat or not!?!

Definatly a great adition to the game, but Jenny Craig definatly needs to work her magic on this little car in the game...

Because they dont want it to run 10 second 1/4 miles with less than 200hp like it does in real life.

Do you really believe that yourself? im pretty sure something just went wrong and they will fix it in near future.

Do you really believe that yourself? im pretty sure something just went wrong and they will fix it in near future.

I hope so! .. because with a 'Bug with less than 200hp, soft tires and her correct weight you should be able to do this:

Last edited:
so we have 3 badly done DLC cars so far.

- GT-R 2012: changing gears should be a lot faster, like the 07 model already available in the game;
-Third DLC pack mini: should have been 4wd. Technically it isn't badly done since there's a FWD model but still;
- Beetle: weights a ton (literally).

A friendly FYI, the "Quote" button on the right allows you to respond to a post while automatically referencing the original text. :cheers:

so we have 3 badly done DLC cars so far.

- GT-R 2012: changing gears should be a lot faster, like the 07 model already available in the game;
-Third DLC pack mini: should have been 4wd. Technically it isn't badly done since there's a FWD model but still;
- Beetle: weights a ton (literally).

The Mini Countryman broke my heart. I was looking forward to making it's WRC equivalent...:crazy:

Besides the weight issue, the '66 beetle was the only year for the single port type1 (what all beetles use) engine of 1300cc displacement. The 1200cc type1 engine was used from '62-'65

You know that really heavy feeling you get after a joint? The stoner's car of choice has it accounted for in the game! Lol

Back