Wall riding in today's daily races

• Thread starter NJ72
  • 94 comments
Let's call a spade a spade. Crashing into a wall to go quicker can only be described as cheating

I realize that being deemed an acceptable practice by many is one thing but it still is not cheating.
The game ALLOWS the practice without penalty.
Cheating would be finding a way to gain an advantage that the game did not allow.

Again I do not agree with the game allowing it but a spade in this case is a spade and is not a cheat only an allowable exploit of the games current limits. It is not cheating. A bug or oversight by PD, YES.

Getting all four wheels off the track is the racing line :lol:

Are you counting the curb as not part of the track?

Watch this replay,

You are technically right, but Gran Turismo considers the curb part of the track so it is fair game. There's no "cutting" here (all four wheels beyond the curb).

Are you counting the curb as not part of the track?

Watch this replay,

You are technically right, but Gran Turismo considers the curb part of the track so it is fair game. There's no "cutting" here (all four wheels beyond the curb).

I know what the game considers the track, but I don't... anymore than I consider riding the walls at Tokyo part of racing there...

It's why I don't race on either of those tracks and why I brought it up as another problem with PD and their fantasy tracks. They are, for the most part terrible and/or broken.

I realize that being deemed an acceptable practice by many is one thing but it still is not cheating.
The game ALLOWS the practice without penalty.
Cheating would be finding a way to gain an advantage that the game did not allow.

Again I do not agree with the game allowing it but a spade in this case is a spade and is not a cheat only an allowable exploit of the games current limits. It is not cheating. A bug or oversight by PD, YES.

Cheat:

Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

Whether the game is ignorant to it or not is irrelevant. The people doing it (in online racing) are acting dishonestly (not racing properly) and gaining an unfair advantage (faster than normal laps) over others. That to me is cheating.

What's next? The grip bug? Seeing as it's PD's mistake, it's fair game to exploit too?

I'm not starting an argument. I just have a much stricter view on it.

Tokyo is like a pin ball machine right now. It was much cleaner earlier this morning but I actually just quit a race, which I never do, because of all the pushing and ramming. With a car that slippery, a track that narrow with no place to go but into the wall, and everyone desperate to WIN, its just a bang fest. I started 4th and got smashed and passed by 2 guys in the 1st turn. Then the next guy kept ramming me in the corners cause he used me to slow down. I finally slowed and let him pass only to find I'm stuck behind him and much faster on the exits and straights. No way to pass clean with that slippery car. So after 3 laps adios and exit. Got out of there with my S SR intact.

I did the Nurb 24hr version of the glitch at around 13 seconds per run...for about 4 hours solid...
For someone that is talking about a player exploiting the game to gain an advantage it seems that there are areas where you play a different tune.

Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

That to me is cheating.

Seeing as it's PD's mistake, it's fair game to exploit too?

I'm not starting an argument. I just have a much stricter view on it.

I must be playing a different game cos earlier I gave it the lightest of taps, and i mean so light it wouldnt even scratch the paint yet it slapped me with an orange arrow and a 1.5 second penalty!

For someone that is talking about a player exploiting the game to gain an advantage it seems that there are areas where you play a different tune.

If you could point out how I gained an advantage over others with that glitch, I'm all ears.

It wasn't about platinum either. It was to get a good group of cars to practice with in a game I initially struggled with. Most of those cars have since been sold through duplicates replacing them

Like I said:

people doing it (in online racing)

gaining an unfair advantage (faster than normal laps) over others.

There's no semantics to argue over with the above two lines.

Me doing the glitch for 4 hours cheapens you going for your own trophies? Who the hell cares what I do with my game time as long as it doesn't interfere with theirs? And for the record, I couldn't give a monkey's about trophies and accomplishments. They're neither use nor ornament.

If you think of a real reason, send it through PM so we don't clutter the thread up anymore.

Me doing the glitch for 4 hours cheapens you going for your own trophies? Who the hell cares what I do with my game time as long as it doesn't interfere with theirs? And for the record, I couldn't give a monkey's about trophies and accomplishments. They're neither use nor ornament.

If you think of a real reason, send it through PM so we don't clutter the thread up anymore.

I could care less about trophies, but I find it very comical that a person that is so adamant to call people that exploit a games glitch or limits cheaters out of one side of his mouth but yet has posted in the past about personally exploiting a glitch in the game for personal use or gain but sees nothing wrong with that.

And yes your exploit could give you the advantage having more seat time with a car than a player who chose to spend more time playing the game to get those cars as the game intended so in online races at that time you had the advantage of having the cars longer and having more practice with the car in use.

Either you are a cheater if you exploit the games limits or you are not you cannot have it both ways. My personal opinion is that if the game is allowing it then although employing such tactics may be unethical or not in the spirit of the games intent as the game allows it it is still not cheating.

Same as someone rubber banding or using exploits to gain levels or in game currency, or intentionally tanking their ratings to obtain race wins or any other methods to bypass the games intentions although again I may not condone or agree with their behavior they are not cheating.

I have said all about this matter that I am going to say.

I thought it was commonly know in this community that Tokyo Expressway - Central Outer Loop is a track to be avoided thanks to the horrible, horrible layout.
Racing in there is also a good way to ruin your DR and SR.

Last edited:
Either you are a cheater if you exploit the games limits or you are not you cannot have it both ways. My personal opinion is that if the game is allowing it then although employing such tactics may be unethical or not in the spirit of the games intent as the game allows it it is still not cheating.

I would casually call this cheating, but I guess the semantics are that the game allows it, so not cheating - but imho it is unethical.

As with any rule/ law that you consider unethical, is the most prudent/ righteous act not to lobby for change? Don't just critique the rule and call it wrong, but actively bring about a change?

For what it's worth I've used the in-game reporting function for each of the people I've seen doing it

This appears to be @NJ72's actions...to his credit.

Is great popcorn watching the rest of the back and forth though, arguing semantics - bordering on social justice warrior action though, defending someone else who didn't ask for it (and perhaps doesn't want/ need it?).

Yes i c the irony in that statement btw ;)

My particular favourite semantic point to argue is peoples misuse of the word nauseous . My next favourite is that no-one seems to be able to say excavation, everyone says escavation. Try it out. Just as fun as arguing whether something is technically called cheating or not.

At the Tokyo tracks, every time I scrape a wall, any wall, I get a penalty! How are guys “wall riding”?!?!?

At the Tokyo tracks, every time I scrape a wall, any wall, I get a penalty! How are guys “wall riding”?!?!?

Yeah same here.. Maybe you have to insert yourself to the wall before the corner in a way that there's no collision?

Didn't have time to play that much yesterday..

Yeah same here.. Maybe you have to insert yourself to the wall before the corner in a way that there's no collision?

Didn't have time to play that much yesterday..

As much as I don't want people to do it, the above is the explanation. The reason it doesn't give a penalty is because there is no 'impact'. They simply brush up against it and don't come away from it. If you hit the wall rather than brush up against it you get a penalty - and this is what PD need to rectify.

If the speed lost from dragging your car along the wall was greater than the advantage gained people wouldn't do it.

And, as to the debate above as to whether it is cheating or not - I personally believe it is cheating as this is a racing game and it would be deemed as gaining an unfair advantage if someone (somehow) managed to do this in real life racing.

as gaining an unfair advantage if someone (somehow) managed to do this in real life racing.
How is it unfair?
Any one is able to do it, it takes no skill or work etc... It'd be like taking the Dragon chicane (already pictured above) while not cutting the corner and then complaining that everyone else cut the track... it's part of the game that PD designed, I'd argue that wall-riding is something they are more likely to have tested for than track limits for insane kerbs...

How is it unfair?
Any one is able to do it, it takes no skill or work etc... It'd be like taking the Dragon chicane (already pictured above) while not cutting the corner and then complaining that everyone else cut the track... it's part of the game that PD designed, I'd argue that wall-riding is something they are more likely to have tested for than track limits for insane kerbs...

I disagree, personally. Ah, so if it took skill it would be cheating, or it wouldn't?

The definition in my mind of cheating is the same as the dictionary definition(s):

1. act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
  2. avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
As per these, they are A) acting dishonestly to gain an advantage and B) avoiding a penalty (something undesirable) by luck or skill.

Long story short, just because PD haven't stopped it from happening, doesn't make it right.

That's like saying "I didn't get caught for speeding today, so it must be legal"

EDIT: I have to say, it is interesting seeing it from the side of someone who participates in wall riding, but I doubt you'll sway my mind around to agreeing it's OK or acceptable.

I disagree, personally. Ah, so if it took skill it would be cheating, or it wouldn't?

The definition in my mind of cheating is the same as the dictionary definition(s):

1. act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
  2. avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
As per these, they are A) acting dishonestly to gain an advantage and B) avoiding a penalty (something undesirable) by luck or skill.

Long story short, just because PD haven't stopped it from happening, doesn't make it right.

That's like saying "I didn't get caught for speeding today, so it must be legal"

EDIT: I have to say, it is interesting seeing it from the side of someone who participates in wall riding, but I doubt you'll sway my mind around to agreeing it's OK or acceptable.

What? No, you said it was gaining an unfair advantage. I imagine echoing sporting rules around track limits. Except in this instance it would be like appealing to the stewards about someone abusing track limits, them shrugging and saying "so why didn't you do it?"

It's not unfair if its open for everyone to do it.
I don't agree with it and I don't like it, that's why I don't race there... it's also why I avoid Dragon Trail, despite mostly liking that track and racing it a lot during the beta. But it's the game, it's not cheating, it's just PD being **** at making tracks and rules. If the rules change it wouldn't suddenly become cheating either. Same with cutting the last chicane at Dragon.

I do my best to race clean, but as a famous real track driver once said, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" (Junior Johnson, Richard Petty) Guess in virtual racing as in real world racing some people take that as their guide.
P.S. Darrell Waltrip "If you don't cheat, you look like an idiot; if you cheat and don't get caught, you look like a hero; if you cheat and get caught, you look like a dope."

Interesting that these were said by NASCAR guys. I'm sure there are some versions among GT and other road race drivers.

Last edited:
Back