Wallbanger's Cafe & Outlaw Motorsports Garage (New Tunes 6/15/12)

Well…slightly off-topic discussions, judging (if there's such a thing for this) can be done here, it is a 'cafe' after all :D
Posting of tunes, reviews, all that would be done in that separate thread.
The choice is yours though, XDesperado, 'choose wisely.

Why the Hell did they take tires out of the PP equation anyways? Did they justify it in some way? Or does it make sense I'm just not seeing it?

I believe it was because they decided that the tire restrictions served their purpose alone with no need to keep tires in the equation.

It gives less choice over how you build a car for a given PP but I know I for one was running an S3-or-lower tire restriction even before the change just to keep away from excessively large differences in cornering speed (more specifically entry speed). Worked well too, with the side effect of keeping most of the idiots out... Though for a room named "Street Legal" we sure got a lot of people trying to bring out RMs or race cars... :lol:

Assassin I posted a tentative set of rules in #35 post here on page 2. I'll update that and repost in new thread for shootout specific discussion. Submissions are due by the 9th of July. Drivers should have the times posted for all submitted cars/tunes by the 16th of July. Some consideration may be given for different time zones on the deadlines but tuners are urged to not wait to the last second to submit their entries, as this gives drivers more time to complete their time trials.

Onboy yes this is a "cafe" and garage both so general discussions (within reason) are welcome here. Looks like the shootout will generate an excessive number of posts however so I'll give it its own space.

XDesperado67
Additional sponsors willing to offer incentives welcome as well.

I'll tune a PP specific request for all Testers. If I win (Big IF) I'll donate the Prize to the Tester with the Fastest lap time with any Tune.

Rotary Junkie
Though for a room named "Street Legal" we sure got a lot of people trying to bring out RMs or race cars... :lol:

What? A RMed ZR1 was originally "Street Legal" you know. Kidding! It needs to let us restrict RM and race cars. I remember many people all driving the CF Ford GT in GT5P, it was at a point if you wanted to be competitive that's what you drove, when people were sticking to Street Legal cars, a sea of NSX's would emerge.

When I was playing GTPSP online I only seemed to find courteous and friendly Racers that would go with any car that was accepted. Never had anybody trying to sneak in BS. Then again GT5 is so much more competitive.

What? A RMed ZR1 was originally "Street Legal" you know. Kidding! It needs to let us restrict RM and race cars. I remember many people all driving the CF Ford GT in GT5P, it was at a point if you wanted to be competitive that's what you drove, when people were sticking to Street Legal cars, a sea of NSX's would emerge.

If someone brought an RM ZR1 in we would've laughed at them and let them run it... As between the low PP restriction and tire restriction it would've been slow as molasses.

As for the "sea of NSXs"... Yep, still an issue. The NSX-R is definitely one of the quickest in the 500-550PP range. Grip is insane and it's got quite an aero advantage (a Spirit R at the same power specs as an NSX-R will get walked down long straights all day every day cos its daddy was a DJ)... Result is one very quick car. The R35 is even more of a "cheat car" IMO because of how insanely easy it is to drive and how little tuning it actually requires to be fast. Hell, we were running at Autumn Ring Mini at one point, few NSXs out and about, then an R35 got brought out and shaved a few tenths. I grabbed a bone stock '07 from the online recommended list, slapped S3s on it, and took it out. Zero effort and I'd actually beaten every NSX and my own Spirit R... And had no will to drive it after that. There was no real challenge beyond seeing how fast you could go... Car felt like instant god mode right up until you did something the computers couldn't correct for and you understeered off. :lol:

/rant

Rotary Junkie
If someone brought an RM ZR1 in we would've laughed at them and let them run it... As between the low PP restriction and tire restriction it would've been slow as molasses.

As for the "sea of NSXs"... Yep, still an issue. The NSX-R is definitely one of the quickest in the 500-550PP range. Grip is insane and it's got quite an aero advantage (a Spirit R at the same power specs as an NSX-R will get walked down long straights all day every day cos its daddy was a DJ)... Result is one very quick car. The R35 is even more of a "cheat car" IMO because of how insanely easy it is to drive and how little tuning it actually requires to be fast. Hell, we were running at Autumn Ring Mini at one point, few NSXs out and about, then an R35 got brought out and shaved a few tenths. I grabbed a bone stock '07 from the online recommended list, slapped S3s on it, and took it out. Zero effort and I'd actually beaten every NSX and my own Spirit R... And had no will to drive it after that. There was no real challenge beyond seeing how fast you could go... Car felt like instant god mode right up until you did something the computers couldn't correct for and you understeered off. :lol:

/rant

Thats why I drove it once then Parked it, nothing to it for me either.

The NSX sure is quick, IYO any of it's variations competitive with it or is it Type-R or nothing?

Thats why I drove it once then Parked it, nothing to it for me either.

The NSX sure is quick, IYO any of it's variations competitive with it or is it Type-R or nothing?

The other NA2s have a shot against the R, NA1s don't carry the same PP for a given PWR but are far less grippy. Race tires can/will mask this to an extent but with both at the same paper specs (ignoring PP) the NA2s will win. Also, all of the other NA2 models are noticeably heavier than the NSX-R but reach the same power as far as I'm aware, meaning the R has more maximum potential.

Rotary Junkie
The other NA2s have a shot against the R, NA1s don't carry the same PP for a given PWR but are far less grippy. Race tires can/will mask this to an extent but with both at the same paper specs (ignoring PP) the NA2s will win. Also, all of the other NA2 models are noticeably heavier than the NSX-R but reach the same power as far as I'm aware, meaning the R has more maximum potential.

So it's Type-R or Bust, FTW!

Anybody else find July 9th to be a little far away?

Yea, move it a week closer, gives us testers (well, not me, but the rest of you guys) some more time. And it would gain more popularity if you made a separate thread on this.

Just finishing work now. Should have the new FF Shootout thread up in about an hour.

I set 9 July as the deadline for submissions for a couple of reasons. First it gives tuners time to produce their best work. As we are seeing in the CT230R Shootout insufficient time means that the tuners are unable to produce their best results on first go round so we end up with repeat attempts making extra work for the test drivers. Second because of some people's schedules they would be unable to participate as either a tuner or driver with an earlier deadline. I want to give the most people possible a chance to participate in this Shootout.

Besides which think about how much smack you can talk in 3 weeks!:crazy::cool:

Okay okay I'll move the submission deadline up to the 2nd of July if that's what everyone wants!:D

Now let me get back on the road so I can get home and post all this in a new thread.

XDesperado67
Okay okay I'll move the submission deadline up to the 2nd of July if that's what everyone wants!:D

Now let me get back on the road so I can get home and post all this in a new thread.

That's perfect.

I'm not fond of revisions after submission in a Tuner contest. After yeah, but not during.

New thread is now posted.

Assassin please repost your sponsorship offer there.

I like it...wonder how they would stack up on say the Eiger short track...

Taking the conversation back to the 'cafe'…
Eiger short track is a bit of a one-sided track because the corners are very sharp and slow, putting the supercar at a disadvantage as they can't use the power properly…

Taking the conversation back to the 'cafe'…
Eiger short track is a bit of a one-sided track because the corners are very sharp and slow, putting the supercar at a disadvantage as they can't use the power properly…
yeah right up until you round the corner leading into the tunnel! They can really hammer it heading up to the top.

Which is why I don't think it should be used as the track. A steep(-ish) uphill means unless your Kei car has a train engine pulling it along, it won't have the torque to hold a candle to the supercar. Autumn Ring has a fair amount of both downhill and uphill bits, making it a 'fair' test of a Kei car's setup. That and the fact that it's far too underused.

Which is why I don't think it should be used as the track. A steep(-ish) uphill means unless your Kei car has a train engine pulling it along, it won't have the torque to hold a candle to the supercar. Autumn Ring has a fair amount of both downhill and uphill bits, making it a 'fair' test of a Kei car's setup. That and the fact that it's far too underused.

Hmm I guess my problem is that every time I hear Autumn ring I think of the (mini) version used in the first A-spec race and I absolutely despise that track...hate it...hate it...:banghead:

The regular track I've not run much.

It's quite good fun, if slightly awkward to drive on…It does have a long straight before the finish line, so that might not me the best place to test…maybe Monaco?

It's quite good fun, if slightly awkward to drive on…It does have a long straight before the finish line, so that might not me the best place to test…maybe Monaco?

Hmm things I can consider after getting this FF circus finished up and I get everyone payed off so they'll be up to more of my brand of madness.:)

Well, ok, and I'll think of some rules and a benchmark while testing the FF cars and I'll PM you the rules and regs I've thought of.

yea, I was thinking that as well…a Trial Celica………
And it doesn't matter if it looks like a street car, as long as it is a street legal car…

yea, I was thinking that as well…a Trial Celica………
And it doesn't matter if it looks like a street car, as long as it is a street legal car…

Found out that it is a street legal car. :)

Back