Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune Series

Indonesia
Jakarta
FOUR16_
Post/discuss anything related to WMMT here-

Hang on, what is WMMT?

*clears throat* Let me explain:

To those of you unfamiliar with this game, Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune is a series of Arcade-platform games produced by Namco (now Bandai Namco) loosely based on Michiharu Kusunoki's "Wangan Midnight" comics.

It focuses on street racing, but unlike Initial D (set on a mountain pass), the races take place on Japan's network of highways. So far, WMMT has span 7 titles, in which 3 of them (3DX, 3DX+, and 5) are "addons" from the previous games (3 and 4, respectively).

The latest game in the series is Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5DX.

New-DX-splash1-800x450.png

Last edited:
Honestly I can't really see what WMMT5 has over WMMT4 to warrant it being a new title in the series. I get the Extreme mode is very interesting but I still can't justify it not just being an expansion of 4, at least according to what I've seen.

I had tens of thousands of kilometers clocked on my JZX100 playing WMMT1 through WMMT3. But my old arcade is gone and I haven't played the game in years.

It looks like the car list is better than ever, and I'm sure the gameplay is high quality as always. I really miss this game.

Always wanted to play one of the games in the series. Never have and the closest ones are a little over 3 hours away. :indiff:

Just have to settle with the Wangan Midnight game I have on PS3. Close enough I guess...

Honestly I can't really see what WMMT5 has over WMMT4 to warrant it being a new title in the series. I get the Extreme mode is very interesting but I still can't justify it not just being an expansion of 4, at least according to what I've seen.
Apart from the new extreme mode, Toyo Tires Turnpike, and new cars (lots of them in the Japanese version), I don't see anything different, which is why i listed 5 as an "add-on". I'd say think of it as the WMMT version of the great GT5 Spec 2.0 update..

Always wanted to play one of the games in the series. Never have and the closest ones are a little over 3 hours away. :indiff:

Heh, you should see what it's like here. As soon as WMMT5 came out, every single large shopping mall that was running WMMT4, upgraded within the month. There are a LOT of shopping malls here that have the game too. 4 of them are 15 minutes away. :D

I'd say think of it as the WMMT version of the great GT5 Spec 2.0 update..

I would say that, IF 5 had brought a lot more to the table than simply 1 new game mode and a few new cars. WMMT4.5 seems a better name to call this game.

........I wish the anime was still running. 26 episodes are not nearly enough. :(

I've always preferred Initial D Arcade Stages over WMMT (touge > highways), but the 4 player VS mode is a real hoot with friends (IDAS can only have 2 players).

The new touge course that isn't available in the Japanese version.

It's called Mt. Taikan, but it's more commonly known as the "Toyo Turnpike" or "Mazda Turnpike". Also, this is the road where Ryousuke and Shinigami had a dangerous duel in Initial D 5th Stage.

It's more of an easier version of the Hakone. High speed turns all around.

It's called Mt. Taikan, but it's more commonly known as the "Toyo Turnpike" or "Mazda Turnpike". Also, this is the road where Ryousuke and Shinigami had a dangerous duel in Initial D 5th Stage.

Wait, so the Japanese didn't get this course? :odd:

New cars to be added in the next update. Still exclusive for the International version:

View attachment 296230 View attachment 296232
....and apparently the Indonesian server got it first :D

Wait, so the Japanese didn't get this course? :odd:

How ironic that one of their most popular mountain roads didn't make it in their version. But they have another highway course that isn't available in the International version, and to think they have more new cars than us.

Fair enough? :P

I think it has something to do with their markets.

You see, the Japanese version gets more new domestic cars than foreign (i.e. Nissan Gloria, Toyota Soarer, 86/BRZ, RX-3, DR30 Skyline) because their beloved JDMs has to stay exclusive in their home country, and those developers might be thinking that those cars won't be noticed much by the foreign players.

On the other hand, the International version players, mostly, would prefer a foreign car to have a change of pace from the staple of JDMs in the game. Back then, those players were deprived of Gemballa which became later on as RUFs available for all versions (though the RT35 is Japanese version only). Now you see the variety of foreign cars in the version, even the Audi R8 enters the fray.

Just my theory here.

I wonder why can't Namco just balance out all the content for all versions.....

Anyways, is there anyone here who is a member of this Facebook group?

Its a completely different beast to Hakone. A lot faster and just as tricky for most people. I currently hold the crown for Mt. Taikan locally with my R34 GT-R. All the experienced players think I'm crazy for using it, then lose it when I pull out my Hiace. :lol:

But it's just odd that its HP rating is stated at 300.

They did the same for the Corvette ZR1 in WMMT4. Obviously it's to make all the cars equally competitive but it just feels a tad weird knowing the car i'm driving has less than half of what it should be making in terms of power.

Oh wow, surprised there's actually a thread about this on GTP, I try and play it every now and then when I go to my local arcade :D

It's great fun, if you ever travel to a country with MT5, give it a go 👍

Shame about the prices down under though and the flat rate they use :(
It's gonna be all fun and games....

......until some random 830HP kid driver VSed you, rammed you off the track, and ran off.

PRO TIP: If you feel like a beginner, always set your "VS battle mode" to "Refuse VS" to avoid what i mentioned earlier.

Pricing on the machines here are reasonable, just under 1USD per race. Unsurprisingly, there are plenty of people here who just stay at the machines and sink in hundreds of dollars on the game.

It's gonna be all fun and games....

......until some random 830HP kid driver VSed you, rammed you off the track, and ran off.

PRO TIP: If you feel like a beginner, always set your "VS battle mode" to "Refuse VS" to avoid what i mentioned earlier.

I have a full tuned car, and I know how to block people if they wanna play that way :sly:

I still have my MT3 cards, I wish I could buy a machine or something... :lol:

My best I made was a 780hp Subaru WRX, then I bought an MR2 card full tuned with tones of miles.

Back