• 204 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
Please keep it civil guys, any egos that get out of control will be dealt with quickly with deletions and warning points. This thread is not for asking for drifting set ups, but rather for actual execution.

Here's the "How to Drift" excerpt from the GT6 Manual:

How To Drift
suntgDX.png

IkO9dFy.jpg

In Drift Trials, the aim is not to score the fastest lap time, but to earn the most points for effective drifting. It is therefore important that you learn how to perform successful drifts.

First off, let's consider the two parts of a drift separately. The first part involves making your rear wheels slide across the track. The second part involves sustaining your drift.

The easiest way to start a drift is to enter a corner at high speed, suddenly put your foot on the brake and then, at the same moment, apply the handbrake. The car will spin at first, but just get a feel for the speed you need when entering the corner and the sensation of your rear wheels starting to slip.

In order to make your rear wheels slip effectively, you need to think about how it can be sustained. The key points here are countersteering and accelerator work. Countersteering means turning the steering wheel at the moment the car starts to slide, in the opposite direction to which it is sliding. Countersteering allows you to control your car's sideways slide.

At the same time, you can control your slide by adjusting the degree to which you are pressing the accelerator. If you want to slide more, press the accelerator; if you want a more controlled slide, ease off it. When it comes to real drifts, it's possible to perform very effective ones with the right combination of countersteering and accelerator work.

In Drift Trials, drifts are awarded points according to the following criteria:

1. Drift Angle
Drifts are judged according to the angle of the car relative to the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. If your drift angle is too high, it will be deemed a spin, and your points for the drift will be reset.
2. Distance from the Racing Line
You will be judged according to how far you strayed from the ideal racing line for cars which grip the track normally. The farther you are away from the racing line, the more points you will lose.
3. Speed
You will be judged on the speed of your car during the drift. The higher your speed, the more points you will earn.
4. Duration
You will be judged on the duration of the drift. Sustain a drift that scores highly according to the three criteria above, and the number of points you earn will increase rapidly.
In Drift Trials, try to use tires that have as little grip as possible. It's also effective to fit tires with little grip on the rear wheels only. Bear in mind that the Active Stability Management (ASM) and Traction Control driving options will automatically be set to OFF.

I agree this kind of thread is great, but it needs to have CORRECT info. Telling people to learn by using the handbrake is exactly what stops people learning the actual limits of a car and stops their drifting being smooth and fluid. I'll go into more depth with a proper post in the morning as I'm at the end of a LONG day, but the first thing to consider before ANYTHING is making sure the front end grips. Everything else is secondary to making sure the front wheels have grip. :)

I agree this kind of thread is great, but it needs to have CORRECT info. Telling people to learn by using the handbrake is exactly what stops people learning the actual limits of a car and stops their drifting being smooth and fluid. I'll go into more depth with a proper post in the morning as I'm at the end of a LONG day, but the first thing to consider before ANYTHING is making sure the front end grips. Everything else is secondary to making sure the front wheels have grip. :)

The guide from the manual is just a placeholder, it shouldn't be taken as gospel of course. But at the same time, nothing should. What the purpose of this thread is to get people trying out different methods, approaches, executions, etc. until they find what works for them.

There's too many variables involved in drifting in order to have a catch all guide. This is why the thread exists, instead of trying to make one catch all guide, I'd rather catch all guides, if you catch... my...

drift

I think some walk-thrus about coffee break drift events by drift-experts might help the community.
Now that drifting has been integrated into some of the GT6 events its received increased attention.
A lot of people seem to be having problems with the drift events from what I read on the forum.

I am not a drifter, but I knew about the "Drift Bible" so I went back to it.
It helped me enough to get through the coffee break drift events.

I also figured out that comfort softs are set by default.
Switching out the rears to hards was a big help too.
Also discovered the BB settings don't stick for ABS 0.

Is there a way to not get stuck in angle on cambered turns? For me if I'm not on the perfect line 100%, it's just instant stuck in angle, no warning or chance of rescue.

Is there a way to not get stuck in angle on cambered turns? For me if I'm not on the perfect line 100%, it's just instant stuck in angle, no warning or chance of rescue.

start the drift higher up in the turn ie don't try to go for the front clip go for the rear clip.

Also, try to control how much angle you get at the start of the turn, and keep your speed up.

You are getting "instant angle" because you have too much angle and not enough speed, and the car is sliding down the banking.

When drifting a banked turn, your angular momentum pushes you to the outside of the corner, and bank of the corner (along with gravity) is pulling you to the inside of the corner. You have to find the balance point between too fast and too slow - but remember that the banking allows you to maintain higher speeds than a flat corner.

It takes some practice, but once you find the sweet spot, banked corners are awesome because you can really put your foot to the floor.

Alright, looks like it does all come down to hitting that perfect line right then. Keep practicing then I guess :D. Cheers fellas :cheers:.

Hey nice post but i ve been having this problem please somebody help me. When drifting i have all aids off i tune the suspencion,etc but when drifting i CANT countersteer so my car spins out i try to ease off the accelerator but it doesnt work or the car gets out off speed .Sorry if bad English im from argentina

Hey nice post but i ve been having this problem please somebody help me. When drifting i have all aids off i tune the suspencion,etc but when drifting i CANT countersteer so my car spins out i try to ease off the accelerator but it doesnt work or the car gets out off speed .Sorry if bad English im from argentina
Try adding camber to the front wheels. This will reduce oversteer and give you more time to react.

Hello everyone,

I'm really struggling with the coffee break drift events :banghead: ! I achieved the platinum trophy and golded everything else in the game (I'm playing with DS3) except the god d:censored: drift events :banghead: !

I'm not even able to bronze the first drift event cuz I have no idea what to do ! I checked the forum here and watched some videos but I still have no idea !

Please help :( !!!

Could you post a video of your attempts? My advice for beginners is to put comforts-hards on an FR car, then do donuts on the skidpad at Streets of Willow, while experimenting with throttle and steering inputs to learn how the car reacts.

Could you post a video of your attempts? My advice for beginners is to put comforts-hards on an FR car, then do donuts on the skidpad at Streets of Willow, while experimenting with throttle and steering inputs to learn how the car reacts.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I can't post cuz I don't have a capture card (not yet; I am planning to buy the Elgato Game Capture in the near future).

Well, I am absolutely confused cuz I don't know what to do exactly, i.e.:

- Shall I approach a corner with low or high speed ?
- What's the exact "order" for drifting in general, i.e. e.g. brake => steer => accelerate => countersteer ???

If I know the general procedure, I can practice and then hopefully gold the events one day, but I don't even know basic principles :confused: !

Sometimes I manage to score over 1,000 points in one corner and the next time I try I score 0 points in the same corner :confused: !!!

- Shall I approach a corner with low or high speed ?
- What's the exact "order" for drifting in general, i.e. e.g. brake => steer => accelerate => countersteer ???
Approach a corner at the same speed you would if you weren't drifting.
There is no set order of operations for a drift. The easiest way to start is honestly to just do some donuts and e-brake U-turns and learn how the car behaves. Don't worry about corners yet. That's how I started learning about slide physics (although that was on Need for Speed III, 17 years ago).

If you want to skip to corners, Just drive the car like you are racing, but turn in hard and give it too much throttle. If you have all Golds in everything else, you obviously to know how to countersteer. Just do that and stay on the throttle. If you start to spin out, cut the throttle.

thanks guys .
all of these advice was good enough for me in GT5 , i wasnt good enough to compete but it was good enough to complete the trials , have fun once in a while in free run & even sometimes using drifting while racing
but its not working in GT6 something has changed its been about 3hours right now im trying to gold the coffe break challenge & the closest i got was 5600 [ goal is 5800 ] but i just got lucky ! most of the time i cant even get to the pronze goal [3800]
:(

I've never drifted bcuz I haven't spent the time to learn looks like tho...thanx for the info maybe it'll help a non drifter like me

managed to get gold on coffee challenges but learned nothing in procces of 4-5 hours non stop
i just got lucky
i cant even get points on corners that were once my favorites on gt5
weird

Approach a corner at the same speed you would if you weren't drifting.
There is no set order of operations for a drift. The easiest way to start is honestly to just do some donuts and e-brake U-turns and learn how the car behaves. Don't worry about corners yet. That's how I started learning about slide physics (although that was on Need for Speed III, 17 years ago).

If you want to skip to corners, Just drive the car like you are racing, but turn in hard and give it too much throttle. If you have all Golds in everything else, you obviously to know how to countersteer. Just do that and stay on the throttle. If you start to spin out, cut the throttle.

Thanks again for the advice.

First of all, good news: I managed to gold the first coffee break drift event ! But don't ask me how I did it ! To be honest: I think it was (and still is) pure luck ! As I said before and as mohammad said, sometimes I am lucky and I manage to drift perfectly in one corner (thus getting over 1,000 points) and the next time I try the same corner, I completely fail with 0 points !

However, I guess I roughly know now how it works but I still suck at drifting ! The fact that I still need to gold two further (and more difficult) drift events gives me headaches :ouch: :banghead: ...

Hi, is anyone experiencing troubles drifting with g27 on simulation setting for wheel? I'm using the wheel for about two weeks and always on simulation setting. Generally my times with wheel are much better than with ds3 but drifting is another story - I can't sustain a drift with wheel, I always seem to spin out when I get the car sideways. Countersteering doesn't help, neither being gentle with gas pedal. I tried practicing with low power FR cars to eliminate the problem with snap oversteer but it doesn't help. Any suggestions or tips? Or just practice, practice, practice and a bit more of practice? Funny thing is, that I find it easier to drift in real life than in GT6 with a wheel - my old underpowered e34 with airy steering was a lot easier to throw sideways and drift for a couple of seconds.

Hi, is anyone experiencing troubles drifting with g27 on simulation setting for wheel? I'm using the wheel for about two weeks and always on simulation setting. Generally my times with wheel are much better than with ds3 but drifting is another story - I can't sustain a drift with wheel, I always seem to spin out when I get the car sideways. Countersteering doesn't help, neither being gentle with gas pedal. I tried practicing with low power FR cars to eliminate the problem with snap oversteer but it doesn't help. Any suggestions or tips? Or just practice, practice, practice and a bit more of practice? Funny thing is, that I find it easier to drift in real life than in GT6 with a wheel - my old underpowered e34 with airy steering was a lot easier to throw sideways and drift for a couple of seconds.

There is a setting on the wheel to switch to a lower degree of rotation, which would make it similar to the ds3's short rotation.
Of the 4 red buttons on the shifter, hold the middle 2, at the same time push square, triangle, circle, or x. Each symbol has a different degree, top is around 200, right is about 700, bottom is standard (900), and left is about 400. I used the 200 setting and gradually worked up to the full 900.
(Have to do this after every calibration)

There is a setting on the wheel to switch to a lower degree of rotation, which would make it similar to the ds3's short rotation.
Of the 4 red buttons on the shifter, hold the middle 2, at the same time push square, triangle, circle, or x. Each symbol has a different degree, top is around 200, right is about 700, bottom is standard (900), and left is about 400. I used the 200 setting and gradually worked up to the full 900.
(Have to do this after every calibration)

Thanks a lot! Less rotation really helps with fast steer-countersteer-steer movements. I am also using stronger ffb for getting preciser 'feel' of the car's movement, although I'm feeling soory for poor g27's motors. My drifts still end in facing the wrong way a lot of time but I am finally seeing some progress.

Hello everyone,

I'm really struggling with the coffee break drift events :banghead: ! I achieved the platinum trophy and golded everything else in the game (I'm playing with DS3) except the god d:censored: drift events :banghead: !

I'm not even able to bronze the first drift event cuz I have no idea what to do ! I checked the forum here and watched some videos but I still have no idea !

Please help :( !!!
Yep, me too. Guess Ive always tried not to slide/drift or spin and now Im supposed to do it. Totally foreign to me. Guess Ill be stuck on 99% till I get it......real headache. I cant stop the car from totally spinning out no mater how I try and control the throttle. 125 shifter carts were easier than this.

You guys all need to get on the skidpad at streets of willows and just mess around with CH's for an hour or so on an FR car.

You guys all need to get on the skidpad at streets of willows and just mess around with CH's for an hour or so on an FR car.

Or MR. Or RR. Or CS's. Or SH's. It's also fun to pin the front bumper to a cone and spin around it.

Or MR. Or RR. Or CS's. Or SH's. It's also fun to pin the front bumper to a cone and spin around it.

Oh god here comes the drift nazis :lol:

I apologise for not labelling every layout that can be drifted with.

Call me when grass root drifters use shaved Formula Drift competition spec tires for their track days.

I doubt someone would hold a clean and consistent drift strapped with SH's but you could possibly get away with it on CS tires.

Less grip on the tire compound will always help :cheers:

Last edited:
Back