Wanna know how to drift? Ask here

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 204 comments
Well give -2 a go with that steering technique. You never know, it might work.
I've tried it a couple times, guess I'll give it another go.

Edit: So... 30 minutes later... -2 is absolute hell... It won't turn when or where I want it to so now instead of just being twitchy I have to go back and forth slowly which makes me look like a complete fool. Whenever I try to transfer it just doesn't... Any more tips? Because I'm not continuing this...

Last edited:
I've tried it a couple times, guess I'll give it another go.

Edit: So... 30 minutes later... -2 is absolute hell... It won't turn when or where I want it to so now instead of just being twitchy I have to go back and forth slowly which makes me look like a complete fool. Whenever I try to transfer it just doesn't... Any more tips? Because I'm not continuing this...
Perhaps you need to re-tune your cars?

Could you post a video of your attempts? My advice for beginners is to put comforts-hards on an FR car, then do donuts on the skidpad at Streets of Willow, while experimenting with throttle and steering inputs to learn how the car reacts.
My drifting is basically sinning in circles. The steering wheel which gives so much feel when racing is (seemingly) too slow to let me counter steer quick enough. I have a Logitech GT. Could you give me an a.b.c guide to drift?

My drifting is basically sinning in circles. The steering wheel which gives so much feel when racing is (seemingly) too slow to let me counter steer quick enough. I have a Logitech GT. Could you give me an a.b.c guide to drift?
Can you set your wheel to a lower steering range?

Can you set your wheel to a lower steering range?
Thanks for such a quick response, it's really appreciated.
I used to have sensitivity at 8 Torque (or whatever it's called-I'm out in car!) at 10 but my sanity and shoulder blades/arms meant I had to reduce it to 4 and 5 respectively.
This might seem a bit left field but when the dog had had a run in with the wires the wheel was powerless which meant although it felt weird, esp initially, it was super quick and easy to go lock to lock. Do u think I try to follow ur advice on min settings but also keep the power free set up as an option?
I'm a 0/10 drifter so I'm certain there's improvement to be had if I use my head/follow advice and tips...

I mean how far the wheel itself turns. My DFP can be set to 900 degrees or 200 degrees. The latter allows me to countersteer much more quickly.

I mean how far the wheel itself turns. My DFP can be set to 900 degrees or 200 degrees. The latter allows me to countersteer much more quickly.
Agh, I see. Is yours a G27? I've seen torque sensitivity settings and I know it uses same motors as 27 but it does its thing (spins 180+ to stop, flies the other way and centres itself) without offering any settings- I just pick it from menu HOWEVER I will now double and treble check if I can reduce %. As it's an older model I have my doubts...

Agh, I see. Is yours a G27? I've seen torque sensitivity settings and I know it uses same motors as 27 but it does its thing (spins 180+ to stop, flies the other way and centres itself) without offering any settings- I just pick it from menu HOWEVER I will now double and treble check if I can reduce %. As it's an older model I have my doubts...
Mine is a Driving Force Pro that I've been using since GT3 :lol:

@PsuPepperoni Struggling with finding a % change...I'm no Luddite but I'll blame Xmas fog and frustration and double check. Whatever the case if I have lowest settings/wheel set to spin, I'm on coffee break (vert apt) event unless there's a better practise track?? Can you give me a gear, amount of handbrake and how early you use it? I'm seemingly way off finding balance of car and virtually out of control spinning from the get go (too heavy right foot?). It's perplexing and frustrating :banghead: cos the wheel is so responsive and good at giving feedback.

At present its feedback is basically shouting 'OI! don't drift you Herbert, you're miles off'! :grumpy:

Last edited:
Have you tried rotating the analog stick around the bottom slowly instead of just moving it left and right ?

That's just a guess though, I've never used a controller before.
I'm wrestling with logi GT and I'm miles off any sort of balance. I'm getting some tips re steering wheel settings (see end of thread) but like a drowning man I'm flailing round looking for any help or advice that's offered. Any run thrus gear/ handbrake / gas etc rather than brake, low gear spin round in circle, rinse and repeat...:banghead: In fact any input is appreciated.

Hey I'm a new racer and I really wanna know how to drift I bought the drift s2000 but still crash it trying to drift please help me !!!

Hey I'm a new racer and I really wanna know how to drift I bought the drift s2000 but still crash it trying to drift please help me !!!
I wouldn't choose an S2000 as a first drift car. Too little torque. Very hard to keep in a drift with anything more than CS. Try a bone stock FRS/BRZ/GT86(not racing) with either CH or CM tires. Very easy to drift. But if you have to use an S2000, Try using CH tires if you don't.

I decided to have a go at drifting last night for the first time in all my years playing Gran Turismo (almost 20, heaven help me).
I picked my S15, Autumn Ring, CH, no aids and hit the track... and it was hilarious.
After countless restarts I actually started to get a feel for it and so far my top score is just under 7000 points. This is for an entire lap and no doubt you guys are scoring more than that in single corners but I really am an absolute beginner so be gentle with me on that point :D

Anyway, I need some advice for suspension settings for that car. Actually, probably all tuning settings if you can be bothered. I'm probably suffering the same problems all newcomers face; car spins right around and my point count is reset, or the car doesn't lose traction at all and I score 0 points for that corner (the usual I'm sure). I'll also admit that most of my "big scores" are gained when I'm about to spin out but slam on the brakes and grind to a halt facing almost sideways off the track. The points still count but it looks crap.

Also gears - I find slowing down until I'm in 2nd gear before initiating a drift around a corner seems to yield the best results. Is this the wrong approach?

Basically... I need some total beginner advice and maybe some reassurance to stick at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go too low on ride height. Slammed cars may look cool, but they usually drift like crap. Negative rear toe, positive front toe, light springs, dampers at 2, 3 or 4 all around, sway bars matching dampers, and camber (2.5 in front, 1.5 in rear, 3.0 in front, 2.0 in rear, etc, or until you rotate only as much as you want to.) Nitro helps straighten drifts, at least in my 4wd builds, and helps hold longer lines. Practice Suzuka East and Tsukuba full laps. Autumn Ring full is too big for beginners, and mini is too tight for my style of drifting imo. Doing all this helped me nail better drifts.

Last edited:
Add me and I'll share tunes. I usually just keep my dampers and roll bars consistent (all the same, with roll bars maybe 1 click lower) then use toe, ride height, LSD, and brakes to fine tune. It's a rather heavy handed approach but I hate sliding off the track, and I don't feel like ****ing with damper settings.

Hello everyone,

I'm really struggling with the coffee break drift events :banghead: ! I achieved the platinum trophy and golded everything else in the game (I'm playing with DS3) except the god d:censored: drift events :banghead: !

I'm not even able to bronze the first drift event cuz I have no idea what to do ! I checked the forum here and watched some videos but I still have no idea !

Please help :( !!!
You guys all need to get on the skidpad at streets of willows and just mess around with CH's for an hour or so on an FR car.
Yes I would definitely agree with that a good car do this would be the dodge charger 4 door great starter car minimal tuning

Hi all

Just wanted to know if there's any tips on drifting, as I'm new to this and only just getting into it, I have had a briefly go at it a whole ago.

Currently have a 90's S13 with about 210bhp (turbo'd) which has CS front CH rear (tyres) the diff is set at 60/60/60 and a short transmission (adjustable),

to be honest I like the idea of the Japanese Drifting, having watch a few videos :- Bihoku Drifting and a like on YouTube.

Back