Wanted: Proper GRIP and DRIFT settings for all car types in GT1

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 69 comments
Only a few manufacturers showed up in GT1...

Well, I won the FR challenge in GT2 and got a yellow Sil Eighty... Man, if you really want to drift with style, there's no need to upgrade this car...

Stock the db7 is over 1700 kilos. Ergh. Big, heavy, beast. And you can only do 1 turbo upgrade and zero n/a upgrades. Not very exciting really.

I just tried this odd experiment in GT1... I had all my cars set to semi-racing mode... You know? With nothing but semi-racing parts? Surprisingly, the cars handle beautifully... They may not be too fast but they're very nifty during hairpin drifts...

Originally posted by takumi64
I just tried this odd experiment in GT1... I had all my cars set to semi-racing mode... You know? With nothing but semi-racing parts? Surprisingly, the cars handle beautifully... They may not be too fast but they're very nifty during hairpin drifts...

This is how I see it:

Stock - Slow all around
Sports - Fun but still kinda cushy
Semi-racing - Quite technical and driveable at a high comp. level
Racing - Technical enough for harcore driving with a max. 1 second lap time variance (technical enough for ya?)

:D

Depends how hard you drive. When Im driving really hard like in tuned car comp I need racing everything and even then sometimes I get to the point where Im tempting drift style on most corners

I call this kind of experiment "proportional tuning". I just discovered something. The cars handle beautifully without the three weight reduction stages...

Yeah, obviously because as there is more weight there is more downforce on the tyres and hence more grip.

Weight reduction = faster car, less grip

Lately Ive realised that in terms of drifting, stock cars or cars with very few modifications do it very easily. Just buy a stock gtr and take it straight to the track.

I also found the soarer you win on the megaspeed comp (with a few engine mods) drifts very easily...

OK i dont know if some body can use that setting.
But instead of Putting Hard Tires on for Drifting sections, try Putting Soft tires and setting CAMBER to the MAX then it will slide like on Profetional tires. At least thats how the doing it in Japan.

Nice idea, and worth a try.

Its also true that every modification you buy for a car has an effect on how well it can drift... before I just thought suspension and tyres were the only thing that mattered.

For example adding more power might mean you can keep the tires spinning longer, but it also means that because acceleration force is higher there is more downforce on the back tyres, which means it might be harder to induce a slide or lose traction.

Also, I was surprised that doing some of the mission stuff (clutch, gear kits, flywheel, etc.) was making it harder to drift and that sometimes making a car more powerful can actually make a car MORE tractable.

The best way to find the ideal drift settings is just do small modifications at a time and go for a test drive after each one. Ive found the gtr only needs about 400 bhp (all engine mods but no turbo kits), doesnt need any mission mods, and drifts really well on stock suspension and tyres.

I think it would be nice if they did :gt: game with only dream cars... Jaguar xj220 , McLaren F1 , Saleen LM, Ferrary's , Dodge Viper, Tyo GT1, lotus GT1, Speed 12,6, and more of those :gmc: :hummer: :infinity: :landr: :ital: :yugo: :koenigs: :callaway: :kia: :diahatsu: :triumph: :daewoo: :saleen; :suzuki: :lotus: :rolls: :shelby: :renault: :embarrassed:pel: :mini: :detomaso: :Pagani: :nissan: :jeep: :caddy: :lexus: :volvo: :holden: :mclaren: :venturi: :lancia: :fiat: :seat: :mitsu: :Pontiac: :subaru: :alfa: :bmw: :bugatti: :dodge: :ford: :chevy: :audi: :acura: :m: :chrysler: :maserati: :toyota: :gtr: :saab: :horse: :rotor: :buick: :amc: :aston: :Plymouth: :Panoz: :ultima: :dmc: :bentley: :mg: :mazda: :tvr: :mercedes :jaguar: :honda: :ford: :dodge: :viper: :ferrari: :Porsche: :hyundai: :gm: :vw: cars we all dream about. By the way: MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I got that from Initial D... There's one episode where Bunta (Takumi's dad) lights a cigarette while the AE86 is drifting through a sharp corner... and he isn't even holding the wheel... it's one of the best stunts i've ever seen... and funny too...

Ahhhhhh, the joys of "knee driving". The trick is to hold the steering wheel with one knee while turning with the other - effectively the same as turning with your hands on the steering wheel but without taking them off.

I have yet to master that one...

Well, its impossible to drift a car without hands or knees. If youve ever driven a car you should know they tend to center their steering by themselves

Latest Posts

Back