War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Finally had my first go online, played one co-op game and one adversarial. I'm not great it has to be said but I haven't really used my X52 Pro for ages and not really all that long in total, and most of that time I've been flying helicopters rather than planes anyway. I think I need rudder pedals because twisting the stick is a bit much, there's a big reaction to not a lot of movement. Still, that's not a slight on the game in any way, I had a lot of fun with it tonight.

This game looks awesome, but I don't want to waste my time downloading it if I'm not going to be able to run it. What computer specs do you need to run the game?

Actually, never mind, I'm downloading it anyways.:P Can someone give me a guide on how to connect your PS3 controller to a computer? I've been searching around but can only find guides on how to connect your PS3 to your computer...

Last edited:
So what are the extra crews for? Is it basically just another life which comes with a reserve plane as default? I'm guessing if you buy one as one army you don't get an additional crew with each other army, right?

So what are the extra crews for? Is it basically just another life which comes with a reserve plane as default? I'm guessing if you buy one as one army you don't get an additional crew with each other army, right?

Extra aircraft!

As you move through the game you can fill the other slots in the hangar with aircraft, that's what the crews are for.

Each crew can be trained for multiple planes of their faction, so you could train a crew on a reserve aircraft, then on a tier 10 aircraft and it would allow you to switch the crew between both without any penalty.

So if I don't have any additional aircraft, I shouldn't buy more crews because they won't have a plane to occupy that slot? Or do they come with a new reserve aircraft? I'm confused! I'll have to have a look around, thanks though!

They allow you to take another plane into battle (in the case of arcade) and to repair your planes more quickly. Planes repair slowly when not selected in a crew and if you look at some of the higher tier planes there are repair times into weeks...

if you look at some of the higher tier planes there are repair times into weeks...

Holy wow, that's mad, but that's F2P for you I guess.

So I've had an extended poke around, I can't believe how much there is to this game, like the crew skill points thing. It would probably be possible to play for the rest of your life (and spend thousands of euros and still not have everything). It's fun but I'm starting to wonder if it'll get a bit repetitive. It seems like the kind of game where if you can get a few pilots to stick together you'll have a massive advantage over just about anyone because everyone seems to want to do their own thing, like BF3 (or indeed most adversarial team-based online games).

But seriously, it's bloody expensive! The ultra starter kit for example, you get:
Five planes
Two single player campaigns
2-month premium account
10,000 Golden Eagles.

For 79.92 euros. They say that's 25% off as well! I bought Wings of Prey for £2.50 and got a campaign and a tonne of planes to go with it... But never touched the multiplayer, so that's something I guess.

Last edited:
US server and new planes added!

BUT

That didn't do a thing to the lag/ping issues. :grumpy:

That reminds me of the laser shooting unicorn you could get in Red Faction: Armageddon, though that was actually in the game.

Great news. :D Very happy here.

It seems Gaijin came out of nowhere and stole a huge amount of people who want to play flying games.

Birds of Prey although not that well selling made a name for them and people liked them. Then came Birds of Steel and again not well selling but people grew to like them as a company and then came war thunder when their reputation really helped them and it has loads of players.

Actually forgot Apache Air Assault. That again wasn't well selling but made them a few friends in the consumer base.

I will love it on the ps4 I am sure.

Last edited:
Me too, the disparity between PC and console was always the amount of stuff on the PC version. PS4 should help balance that.

Agreed that Gaijin have been working their way up. I started with BoP but I believe there were two or three even before that, possibly PC only though.

The only one I'm aware of on PC is Wings of Prey, but I would guess there are more and Wings of Prey, being their most recent, is the only one I care enough about to know. If you know what I mean. It's a really nice game though, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover should've been competitive but it's a bit of a mess at the moment, which is a shame.

I haven't played War Thunder in ages, I think I might download the updates soon so it's ready to go when I do decide to have a go.

Me too, the disparity between PC and console was always the amount of stuff on the PC version. PS4 should help balance that.

Agreed that Gaijin have been working their way up. I started with BoP but I believe there were two or three even before that, possibly PC only though.

I think there were a few small titles before but BOP was Anton and co's first big game I think. I remember the times when pretty much no one had heard of them. It was the first forum I signed up to. :)

The only one I'm aware of on PC is Wings of Prey, but I would guess there are more and Wings of Prey, being their most recent, is the only one I care enough about to know. If you know what I mean. It's a really nice game though, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover should've been competitive but it's a bit of a mess at the moment, which is a shame.

I haven't played War Thunder in ages, I think I might download the updates soon so it's ready to go when I do decide to have a go.

Ahh yes WOP.

That also helped get a few friends. It is basically a pc version of BOP with a few extras.

Gaijin make quality products and WT on the pc is good from what I have played so far (Which isn't much as I don't have a joystick and getting the ds3 to callibrate is a pain. Keyboard and mouse is a definate no as I play realistic and sim.) so I am very exited.

Actually they are partnering with Sony. I see a lot more coming from them. :D

Last edited:
...Actually they are partnering with Sony. I see a lot more coming from them. :D
Hell yeah! Sony are very good at seeing and supporting new talent.

I wasn't aware that Anton hadn't been involved in the earlier Sturmovik titles - my mistake :) I also agree that they are exceptional games once you get the control pad mapped.

Hell yeah! Sony are very good at seeing and supporting new talent.

I wasn't aware that Anton hadn't been involved in the earlier Sturmovik titles - my mistake :) I also agree that they are exceptional games once you get the control pad mapped.

http://casualconnect.org/lectures/2...me-development-success-story-anton-yudintsev/

That is a little background on Anton. Unless you understand russian the video is useless though except the very first bits.

Oh and i forgot to mention that Gaijin is now officially the largest russian game company.

Last edited:
That's some great news.

I've not played WT in quite a while, I think I'll wait until the Sea Vixen is added before firing it back up.

Mmm, Sea Vixen...

sea_vixen_main_page_photo.jpg

Hello everybody. I started playing the WT beta recently. Got a 5 level (and 3 level on Soviet airforce) using mouse control. But only have taken 2 enemy planes down (and one of them was shot down by the AI rear shooter :lol:)...
I feel like aiming a plane with the mouse control isn't comfortable to me. When I was playing Il-2: BoP on PS3, I almost had no aiming problems. What do you think about mouse and gamepad aiming?

Hello everybody. I started playing the WT beta recently. Got a 5 level (and 3 level on Soviet airforce) using mouse control. But only have taken 2 enemy planes down (and one of them was shot down by the AI rear shooter :lol:)...
I feel like aiming a plane with the mouse control isn't comfortable to me. When I was playing Il-2: BoP on PS3, I almost had no aiming problems. What do you think about mouse and gamepad aiming?

Since you've been playing with a controller, mouse and keyboard will definitely take a while to get used to, but once you do it's pretty easy from there on. You do need to be careful with your imputs obviously, as being to jerky will cause you to shoot to far in front or behind your enemy.

Have you played the tutorials? Those do a god job showing you how the physics work with mouse aim. Also, have you been playing Arcade or Historical Battles?

Yes, I've played the tutorials. I have no problems controlling the plane with a mouse, and I can land smoothly using it. But I guess I just need more air combat practice. I got used to hitting grond targets well, but fighting other planes is difficult to me for now. However, yesterday I managed to shoot down an enemy fighter: first, got on his tail, then shot him from close range, not in reverse. Looks like I found out the basics... :)
Also, I've bought a premium aircraft - a Soviet P-39 Airacobra, but I mostly use it for fighting ground targets - the 37mm gun makes it fun. :)

I mostly play in HB mode. Tried Arcade for a couple of times, and had a Realistic Battle for one time (ooh, it was pretty long to wait for it).

This is only coming to the PS4 not the XBONE.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-..._more_open_looking_for_new_game_concepts.html

Also some info.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...tracking-sonys-openness-pc-interconnectivity/

Also this question I find interesting.

Are there any marked differences between the PS4 version and the PC one?

Greater visuals, at least for some time (I don’t think that average PC will be as powerful in the near future). Head tracking, native social features (like streaming) and some other fancy stuff mark the difference between the PS4 and PC versions.

I don’t know what will be the price of the new console, but usually it is much cheaper than good gaming PC – and sometimes cheaper than just new PC video card.

Last edited:
Woot! XP-55 Ascender (fondly called 'ass-ender' by the test pilots) will be added in the next update.

300px-Curtiss_XP-55_Ascender_in_flight_061024-F-1234P-007.jpg

Back