War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

When was the update? I was on last night (about 14 hours ago) with out issues.

Are you flying with the stick in arcade mode? Mouse-aim is way to "OP" against other controller types in "arcade" imo; I stick to "mouse-aim" when I want to point-whore arcade and my stick in historical/realistic.

So far I am a level 11/12 overall ( I think, something around there anyway), level 10 American, 6 German, 7 Russian, 1 England, 0 Japan (!).

Americans are great strafe run fighters; do not try to out turn or loop anyone... you will lose. Bombs and speed make for great ground target attacks with easy egress. A couple have cannons... most have 4-8 machine guns. The Catalina is a point whore; strap 4 1000 lb bombs on it, get your gunners, and rake in the points.

Germans.... god... they suck until like level 6... and then they suck again until like level 11.... there's nothing good to say about them.... bf-110 and 109... everything else is crap.

Russians... completely over powered.... 20-37 mm cannons on low level planes that will one/two shot any fighter and take out anything else with a couple of hits. Turn radius is low, extremely low on the reserves (nothing can out turn them...), speed is average, but the fire power... IF you get behind someone (or get a good strafe run) at short distance then it is pretty much a guaranteed kill.

England and Japan... haven't flown enough to comment, but I have been killed by enough British planes to know they have good firepower (the most I believe, actually).

Last edited:
When it comes to using stick in this game, they could try learning a lesson or two from CFS3. It is still in beta, so the inaccuracy of the control is understandable for now. As for the issues I have, I'm pretty sure that it's not the hardware of mine as in the early point of the match I would get decent FPS, but later it rapidly drops to 1.5-2.0 FPS. :grumpy:

I believe they sneak in un-announced updates..

Last edited:
BoS was, and is, fun. This looks better, but one problem I had(of a few) was when flying something with multiple engines, if only one went down it is still considered a kill, even if you could still fly it. Same thing here?

PS: It's not a deal-breaker, but my dying 6-7 year old laptop cant take much before lag rules the day.

Its not a kill until you hit the ground/explode/pilot gets shot/ etc.

There are "critical hits" which is taking out any aircraft controls, coolant, oil, punching huge holes in wings, etc....

You're given points for any of that, but only get the kill when the plane is crashed/pilot dead.

As far as lag... I just played a couple rounds and didn't experience any. Though there were people in the general chat complaining about it...

BKGlover
Very nice. Next issue, no stick. How is it with keyboard controls, if even possible?

I use mouse-aim (mouse and keyboard) in arcade mode. You practically point and click. Incredibly easy to control. You can also use a joy-mouse set up if you prefer that.

JvM
This looks cool!
Anyone can quickly tell if it works with ps3 controller?

It should.

It has co-op? I thought it was PvP only. Maybe it's time I got round to trying this out...

Oh and that video committed just about the only grammar sin that really gets my back up. Or should I say get's my back up.

Want. An even better timesink than WoT!

I would love to see the game expanded to Cold War era too. Mmm, British Cold War jets!

Last edited:
Well, they sorta do have that.. Sabre, MiG-15, Meteor..

Yeah, but I mean beyond that. MiG-21, F4 Phantom, EE Lightning, etc. although I understand the complexity in including more modern jets and guided weapon systems (including SAMs).

I can dream I guess.

Want. An even better timesink than WoT!

I would love to see the game expanded to Cold War era too. Mmm, British Cold War jets!

Seconded, I'd love to get my hands on an Avro Vulcan, if it flew anything like the real thing I'd probably spend quite a lot to get it...

Well, I say that, I still haven't been able to actually play WT yet. Started the download at 12pm, it's now 1:30am and it still has a few hours left to go.

Seconded, I'd love to get my hands on an Avro Vulcan, if it flew anything like the real thing I'd probably spend quite a lot to get it...

Well, I say that, I still haven't been able to actually play WT yet. Started the download at 12pm, it's now 1:30am and it still has a few hours left to go.

Hopefully jets like the Vampire, Shooting Star and other first generation jets will be added in the full release (they should be as currently the only true first-gens are the MiG-15 and F-86 Sabre)

Same here, the estimated time jumps between 2 hours and 22 days!

Well, if you look at the tech trees, you can see what is coming in the future. They're pulling the line on Korean war.

Argh! Bloody lag makes the game unplayable. I've even cranked the graphics to minimum but it has no effect, thus the issue is in their servers..

I'd guess the issue is more like the distance, as there is no US server. EU server is (mostly) ok for ppl in EU I think. :)

Depends on what you want to do really.

Russians have great reserve planes; they can out turn everything in the sky so if you can keep your guns on target they are extremely efficient dog fighters. They are a great way to get a good amount of lions/xp without having to pay for repairs. Stay low altitude and low speed and either force enemy planes to turn or overshoot.

But, based on how the game is set up (mainly repair cost/time) I do suggest working on all countries evenly and not just focusing on 1 or 2.

Just got this, what is a good army to start with to grab some better aircraft?

The U.S.S.R are the easiest to start with, the Japanese are probably the most difficult.

All the trees have good aircraft in them so you may as well play them all (you'll need to while waiting for other nations planes to repair).

Remember, as a general rule, biplanes work better at lower altitudes.

Tree'd.

The game practically freezes for quite some minutes, then returns to reasonable speed.

Do you monitor your system usage during gameplay? It could be a number of things but I don't think it is a server side problem or I would have experienced it and there would be more complaints found through Google lol.

A quick re-install/update of your drivers and the game might resolve the issue; I haven't experienced it so I can't be of much help. You might try posting in the official forums if you haven't already.

Oh, I have left a message on the forum regarding connection etc, and I'm not alone with this. I'll try the drivers next.

Drivers updated, no change in the lag front.

Last edited:
Monitor your system usage with fraps/msi ab and make sure it is utilizing 100% of your GPU and see how it is spreading across your CPU (unsure about CPU usage and I am not at home).

Try selecting a different server location; try only RU or EU instead of any or just a different selection than what you have been using.

Turn off AA...

Turn off "seeding" in the advanced options...

Turn on/off v-sync...

If all else fails I would re-install the game and hope you don't have to download it again. :banghead:

Back