War Thunder (F2P Air/Ground combat MMO)

Probably a model that's not the one in game (A-1)...

I'm playing right now FYI...

Nope, even our airforce, that had the A4's back then, carried 1000kg bombs quite often.

Edit: Anyone else have issues trying to get into the game? It keeps saying connection issue and kicks me back to hangar. Also, there has been at least 3 hotfix patches today.. :irked:

Last edited:
Tried a test flight in simulator mode with the Peashooter. Once I got the controls to the way they should be, I started down the runway and made it off the ground without spinning or crashing. Flew for a bit, turned around and landed it but forgot planes can't turn quickly on the ground and nearly flipped it over at around 20mph. :lol: Then I adjusted a few more controls.. like changing mouse (touchpad on DS4) from relative controls to view and what a difference that makes. Now instead of holding down on the D-pad and using the right stick (thus giving up my throttle and roll control in the process) to look around, I can just swipe around on the touchpad to see around the world. Then I just hit triangle which is the view change button to re-center the view. 👍

Since the test flight was in Oahu, I spotted a carrier to attempt a landing on. I mistakenly came in too fast, bounced it off the deck, taking out the propeller in the process and proceeded to flop down into the water. :ouch: :lol:

Overall, that was easier than trying to get that lumbering Bf 110 off the ground.

That awkward feeling when you take off from a carrier in your A6M5 and accidentally hit the ship's bridge with your wing and crash into the sea, then teammates text "lol, learn taking off noob". :embarrassed: :mad:

Nope, even our airforce, that had the A4's back then, carried 1000kg bombs quite often.
Maybe it's made for the game balance, not to overbuff the Ju.88.

Since the test flight was in Oahu, I spotted a carrier to attempt a landing on. I mistakenly came in too fast, bounced it off the deck, taking out the propeller in the process and proceeded to flop down into the water. :ouch: :lol:
P-26 isn't a carrier plane, is it?
However, I have landed a non-carrier aircraft onto a carrier. ;)
shot 2014.11.07 20.11.39.jpg

Maybe it's made for the game balance, not to overbuff the Ju.88.
P-26 isn't a carrier plane, is it?
I don't think it historically had them, I'll check.
And the P-26 is an army fighter. F2A's were naval fighters...

The day I land a B-17 on a carrier with no damage is the day I treat myself to expensive sushi...

BTW, DB-7 is my new favourite plane. 2 fly-outs, 2 air kills and 67 ground kills... :eek:

One such flyout...

k0m4o.jpg

Last edited:
Holly smokes, just realized the difference a premium plane on a premium account makes... Huge RP boost with just a few kills in AB with the Mustang Mk. I. Gotta fly that thing more :D
The day I land a B-17 on a carrier with no damage is the day I treat myself to expensive sushi...
I'm gonna request the replay once you do :D

Holly smokes, just realized the difference a premium plane on a premium account makes... Huge RP boost with just a few kills in AB with the Mustang Mk. I. Gotta fly that thing more :D
You'd better. It's one helluva plane in AB, climbs like nobody's business...

Try it in RB, even better! :P

I will, I might have some trouble getting the Hispanos on target, though :dopey:

/edit: Regarding RBs: Got a triple kill with the 190-A4. Seriously OP, that thing.

Try it in RB. I have this Mustang too, and with a premium account, it's like: One flight - Spitfire Mk.V unlocked, next flight - Beaufighter unlocked, another flight - Wellington Mk.III unlocked, one more flight - Spitfire Mk.IX unlocked. :dopey:

Sounds nice :D I'm currently researching the Griffon Spitfires. Should give a nice boost!

/edit: Tried RB, and I gotta say, I'm puzzled. It sure doesn't feel like the Mustang's a good climber. Had a real tough time getting enough altitude to meet the German players, let alone get an advantage on them.

Last edited:
Guess I'll try the F2A next then. Have that one in my current USA lineup, but went for the Peashooter instead because of the slower speed as I figured it would be easier to fly.

Try it in RB. I have this Mustang too, and with a premium account, it's like: One flight - Spitfire Mk.V unlocked, next flight - Beaufighter unlocked, another flight - Wellington Mk.III unlocked, one more flight - Spitfire Mk.IX unlocked. :dopey:
I wish I had a premium account... :(

Sounds nice :D I'm currently researching the Griffon Spitfires. Should give a nice boost!

/edit: Tried RB, and I gotta say, I'm puzzled. It sure doesn't feel like the Mustang's a good climber. Had a real tough time getting enough altitude to meet the German players, let alone get an advantage on them.
It's not a great climber as it has the same engine as the P-40. It's overperforming in arcade, so just climb up to the side and be patient. :)

I got so irritated by tier IV's undertiered opponents that I went back to tier 1..

That DB-7 is OP....

Edit: :lol: I just won a match for my team by being the last one alive, going after one of the last ground targets I could hit and having an enemy plane destroy it as I flew by since they were trying to shoot me.

Last edited:
That DB-7 is OP....

Edit: :lol: I just won a match for my team by being the last one alive, going after one of the last ground targets I could hit and having an enemy plane destroy it as I flew by since they were trying to shoot me.
I can definitely vouch for that! :D

Well, I tried to land in Simulator Test Flight, The results... Not so good.

[EDIT] I'm Flying the Spitfire MK.V

Try the Spitfire Mk Ia. Mk V has some unique characteristics...
Also, come into the runway lower, you are approaching way too high. Come in low, so there is no need to pitch down dramatically. You won't stall with the Spitfire + landing flaps. Once on the ground, maintain slight pitch upwards, no ailerons, minimal rudder, braking hard. Once under 100kph, rudder harder to stay straight and pitch upwards more, so you don't screw up your prop.

You were braking hard with neutral or down pitch, hence why you flipped. Under 100kph, braking must be done with upwards pitch.

You did fairly well and didn't bounce! Good attempt! 👍

Last edited:
I'm enjoying realistic with planes more than arcade, and I seem to get more research done faster with it as well. :D Still adjusting to the difference in handling without any assists(if that's the right term?). Haven't had any issues taking off or landing when needed either.

I'm enjoying realistic with planes more than arcade, and I seem to get more research done faster with it as well. :D Still adjusting to the difference in handling without any assists(if that's the right term?). Haven't had any issues taking off or landing when needed either.
Assists/instructor is the correct term. :)
RB is more dynamic and less point-and-shoot than arcade, requiring tactics and jockeying for the best position to engage. I hate the "climbing = good" aspect of it... Hence why I often take a break from fighters to print some money using my bombers and attackers. :)

I hate the "climbing = good" aspect of it... Hence why I often take a break from fighters to print some money using my bombers and attackers. :)
Agreed! I sometimes get a bit tired of Climb Thunder. Might as well have the fighters spawn closer together and at a higher altitude. While firepower is everything in AB, climb rate seems to be the stat for RB. Oh well, the amount of "how the hell did that guy shoot me down?!" moments is significantly lower in RB, so there's that :lol:

In other news, I just unlocked the K-4 (that MK 108 cannon really puts the thunder in War Thunder!) and am really close to getting the Mk. 22 Spitfire 👍

I'm torn :indiff:

I still want the Spits, especially the Mk. 24 - most beautiful aircraft of WWII, imho, alongside the Bf 109 K and the F4U. Still, I'm more inclined to grind down the German tree by now. Getting both the MiG 15bis and the CL13a Sabre is just way too tempting :lol:

I finally realized how I can upgrade the most overrated fighter, the P-51.. While others climb and have their 5-10 minutes of glory with opponents who also climbed, I can attack the triple A and artillery in peace. It greatly amuses me when others whine at me after they were shot down and noticed that I was still happily blasting away the turrets.. :lol: And usually end up in top three of the team while doing so. :sly:

I finally realized how I can upgrade the most overrated fighter, the P-51.. While others climb and have their 5-10 minutes of glory with opponents who also climbed, I can attack the triple A and artillery in peace. It greatly amuses me when others whine at me after they were shot down and noticed that I was still happily blasting away the turrets.. :lol: And usually end up in top three of the team while doing so. :sly:
P-51's surprisingly good at strafing, although the liquid cooled engine can get taken out fairly easily. Don't do this once you've upgraded your P-51 enough; help out your team in a more... active way... :P

Latest Posts

Back